Revealing the ploy

The Lost Prince
"otosama~ am I dreaming?" tears welled up in her eyes as she thought this is too good to be true. 
 
"it's not~ I'm here for you, my dear daughter," she threw her whole weight on her father upon hearing the confirmation. "otosan~~ I miss you and mother."
 
"2 years away from home and you have completely forgot your mannerisms. but what do I expect from my carefree daughter" he tugged her nicely in his arms and pat her head. his strong build led her to lie comfortably on his tough shoulders.
 
"Otosan, I've disgraced the Shida family. I am ashamed to see you~" she cried bitterly in his arms.
 
"No, don't think in this way. you have merely done what I've asked you to. Sometimes I have thought if I should have sent your sisters instead to assist King Ainosuke, then maybe you wouldn't have to suffer so much"
 
"NO, Otosan... I am thankful you sent me. What I did, is not because you asked me to, but it is my life.. King Ainosuke, he is my life. the love of my life. I'll do anything for him"
 
"my dear daughter, you have really fallen deep into his heart...it will hurt if you can't move on" he wiped the fallen tears off his daughter's face. Mirai feels warm with her father's huge palms over her face, and hopes he stays right there. only 3 people in her life have comforted her this way, and that's none other than her parents and Ainosuke. 
 
"I know~ I am intoxicated by his mere presence. But, I have no regrets, otosan. so please don't worry about me. You have become so frail, otosan."
 
"don't say about me, You are so skinny too... perhaps even your mother.she thinks of you day and night. maybe we won't be able to move on as well."
 
"Otosan~ please forget about me... mother has to too...or it will hurt too much"
 
"if you can't forget about your husband, we can't forget our daughter too. forgeting is hard, tedious. you should know better."
 
Suddenly, King Takea kneeled before his daughter in buckets of tears. "OTOSAN, why? Please rise..."
 
"Apologies for your useless father who can't do anything to save you or restore your position. I have let you down; all I did was to stand by and watch you in banishment, what's more announce your very banishment and severance of ties."
 
"Please don't say that.. I know I can never return to the land of Shiroku, neither do I belong to Aoishoshi. It's no one's fault." she realised the tears neglected on her father's face. it was her turn to wipe it off and when she did, her heart aches a million times. she has become an emotional burden to her parents and would Ainosuke be hurting the way they did? she felt more guilty than before. a sense of regret emerged as she thought her decision was one that stabs the hearts of so many.
 
"I'm glad Ainosuke arranged this meeting. I thought I'll never see you again, never know your situation, alive or dead~ how are you all these time?" he ushered her to sit beside her, and she cuddled into his embrace, just like how she loved to do so when she was much younger.
 
"aside from my broken heart, the life as a commoner wasn't that difficult. initially yes, but when I met Ainosuke's brother Yamada Yu, he took really good care of me. and after which I really enjoyed the life of a commoner, so carefree..."
 
"as you have always wished for when you're still a playful kid - to be someone with a simple life like those people out there. you finally got your wish... and that is the reason why I chose you instead of your sisters to marry the son of my best friend"
 
"I don't understand... what is it in me that I was chosen?"
 
"because of the very nature of you and Ainosuke. both of you do not belong to the cruelty of palace life. you children have the innocence, bubbly, done-to-earth, collectivist character that make the 2 of you especially likable like a social magnet. if the 2 of you were outside the confines of politics, I'm sure the 2 of you will be very different from what you are now. this is why I thought, you could mend the heartbroken soul of a boy who suffered so much with the character similar to his. you could be his best companion and confidant... and my prediction was right, the results is even better than I thought. the 2 of you are simply meant for each other"
 
"otosan~thank you for choosing me" he tightened his embrace as the night breeze that blew stronger through the small gap.
 
"though I cannot bring you back to Shiroku, but at least I've been assured that you'll enjoy the free life you wished" Mirai pulled herself back when she sensed there's something she was not aware of. a plan or decision that she was left out of the loop.
 
"w-what do you mean, otosan?"
 
before the King Takea could answer his daughter's question, a third familiar voice gave a response.
 
"because King Ainosuke has announced for your immediate release after your meet with King Takea" Mirai stood in a state of denial and shock as Yuto entered.
 
"no, no, not before I meet Ainosuke!" she struggled to speak but her calling was neglected as Takea and Yuto conversed.
 
"Your highness, it's time to leave. we need to bring you out of the capital by dawn. it'll invite too much gossips and unwanted attention if you were to be seen in Aoihoshi." as soon as Yuto expressed his concerns, Takea  brushed from the side of Mirai and gestured to bid farewell.
 
"bye, Mirai. please take care of yourself and enjoy your life. father and mother can no longer be by your side, and so you have to protect yourself."
 
"otosan!" the guards held her back as she lost her sanity over the unbearable farewell and the onset of the widening proximity between Ainosuke and her due to her impending release."
 
"otosan!!!! please ask them to let me see Ainosuke! Otosan!!!!" she helplessly shouted and watched her father walked further from her. hidden from her was the continuous streams of tears that rolled down the faces of 2 men, one is her father, another one who has been hiding from her, Ainosuke. seeing her would only make it harder to say goodbye.  
 
"Yuto, please I beg you, please ask Ainosuke to meet me! i want to see him before he sends me off! pleaseeee. I haven't seen him since he brought me here. " Mirai kneeled and pulled Yuto's sleeves in desperation.
 
"Mirai, please don't do that~ Ainosuke won't come, regardless of whatever anyone says. I'm sorry"
 
"you can definitely do something! I'm sure you can!"
 
"no. I'm sorry. Guards, her out!" Yuto turned a blind eye and let the guards restrain and drag her out of the bunker. even after a distance, he could still hear her desperate calls for Ainosuke. in fact, her heartbreaking cries penetrated through the bunker, and into where Ainosuke now stood. Umika stood before him and saw the tear-stripped King, looking both emotionally and physically exhausted. she placed her arms on his shoulder to give him a slight comfort, neglecting the formalities. 
tumblr_m2fqzoK3cp1qcat2xo1_500.jpg
he tilted his head up as though trying to get his tears to seep back into his eyes, and wipe off the remains on his wet face. 
 
"I'm okay. anyway, Umika, I'm sorry I have to split you and Chinen up."
 
"we were not meant to be. no matter how long I persevered, the result is the same. to be honest, I never thought I would tell Chinen my feelings, so there's nothing I'm hoping for."
 
"if you say so. I hope you enjoy the freedom outside. the life of a commoner, the kind of life I led in 20 years, was the best part of my life. so I'm sure you'll have fun out there."
 
"I will. thank you, your highness. I will treat Mirai like my own sister and we'll keep each other company. my skills will also protect us from any trouble so worry not."
 
"thank you too, Umika.... so this is it. I'm glad I met you; you are really a tough girl" before Ainosuke can continue his statement, Umika gave him a sudden embrace.
 
"Umika?" Ainosuke was too stunned to move. 
 
"I'm happy to meet you too! you are really kind to me. though it's rude to say, but I saw you as my brother, taking care of me. I'll miss you, Ainosuke" 
 
her tears rolled down her cheeks and onto his sleeves. Ainosuke soften his arms and wrap around her and gave her a light pat. he smiled at her abrupt confession and felt his heart tinkled in this cold day. 
 
he gently pulled her away slightly and saw the tears running all over her face. he brushed them off with his palms, just like how he has done it for Mirai.
 
"a warrior shouldn't cry, especially not in front of a man. let this be the last time, cause you'll have to watch over Mirai for me." he smiled. she nodded and forced a smile on her face.
 
"go on, the sun is rising soon. the 2 of your identities are best left a secret, so escape before it's too late. I'll settle the nobles. they will not know your whereabouts."
 
"will Mirai and i see you again?" she asked just before leaving with the awaiting guards.
 
"I hope not~ but you'll never know what fate has in store for us. sayonara, my dear sister" Umika was stunned to hear him call her the way she yearned. such a reciprocation left a final teardrop falling down her cheeks. she turned back the last time and said, "ganbatte Ainosuke! you can overcome all odds!"
 
Ainosuke smiled for her the last time before she turned her back against him and disappeared in the corridor. he touched his face and felt it was wet, with tears and cold sweat. he felt weak in his limbs, blurred vision, but he suppressed all his discomfort when Yuto and Daiki walked him back to his chamber.
 
perhaps because all tears are dried up by the time or he has been controlling it, Yuto and Daiki see a very calm Ainosuke. there's no expression on his face, he's almost like a zombie. his dark eyebags and his slouching posture suggest his weariness.
 
"Ainosuke, please rest well. you don't look so good" he didnt respond to them. it's as though the world stood still. he walked right into his chamber and closed the door behind. he stared blankly into space, alone in the dark room, like a statue.
 
*******
Mirai and Umika reunited and for the first hour, the latter allowed the other to reconcile her thoughts. Mirai was too traumatized over the loss of her husband once more. this time, she also realised he has taken one of the two piece from the pair of rings. he has taken back his. 
 
"Mirai~if you need to cry, I'm here" Umika firmly held her hand.
 
"so this is what the plan was... his plan was to reunite with my father and then to find me a companion and let me off. even your appearance before me was planned. that's why you said I misunderstood his intentions. right?"
 
Umika remained silent cause she felt like she's deceiving her. 
 
"then you're not my true friend! how could you be when you're simply acting on his instructions..."
 
"no, it's not, Mirai, it may be this case initially but then I realised I really do treasure your companion as well! I sincerely want to be your friend! I told him to same too!" Umika wrapped her arms around her, and for some apparent reason, Mirai was touched by her. she has never had a female friend so close, so willingly embrace her. perhaps, that's why she is so easily convinced by the perceived genuineness of the friendship.
 
"Umika, I think I knew how he felt when I and everyone else kept things from him and planned without him. I think I have deeply hurt him... right, Umika?" she asked while still in her arms.
 
"Mirai, then in that case, you have to live strongly for him. as I can see, he breathes because of you... if you're hurt, he will hurt too" she looked into Mirai's eyes and conveyed earnestly. Mirai nodded and embraced Umika once more.
 
Chinen stood in a corner and witnessed the whole heartwarming scene, and realised the sacrifice that Umika has given. "she is really good-natured. it's the same innocence as the girl I've seen years ago." he tailed closely behind the 2 ladies and displayed his swift movement in the process.
 
"what?!! you mean Ainosuke released the both of them?!!! I told him that releasing Umika is too dangerous! the nobles on my side will slaughter her! and with Mirai around, it'll be an added burden. he's simply sacrificing Umika!"
 
"Chinen, can you chill! Ainosuke has thought carefully before arriving at this decision! it's not because of Mirai that he made such a decision. he did not sacrifice Umika! keeping them both here is only a temporal solution! eventually their life will be in danger as well. can you imagine if Hiro is found guilty, his whole family has to be executed, and Umika being the one already in the palace will be the first to die! this is his way of protecting her, by letting her go! why are you uptight recently, especially when it comes to Umika?! you obviously have a thing for her!" Daiki tried to knock some sense into him.
 
"That's not the issue now! their safety is the issue!"
 
"no! Chinen! stop running away from this question!"
 
"just shut up!" Chinen break Daiki's firm grip and ran away, disregarding Daiki's call. "oi! Baka!!!"
 
Chinen tailed them hours and hours, fully focusing on their surroundings so that he could protect them from any potential attacks. but regardless of how swift his actions were, the crowded street in front interrupted his movements. "Arghhhhhhhh...excuse me" his frustration level raised when the civilians blocked his right of way. he tiptoed beyond the crowd to ensure that the 2 ladies remain in his frame of sight.
 
on the other hand, the 2 ladies are enjoying the crowd cause rarely they have such opportunity to enjoy the life of civilians. they secretly envied Ainosuke who has lived that part of life which is out of reach to them for long. they giggled and maneuvered their way along the packed street, hand in hand.
 
"ah, Gomenasai~" Umika knocked right into a group of dark dressed men who stood in the way. she lowered her head to apologise but those men didnt speak a word. when she raised her head to take a good look at the silent men, she reached out to her sword and tightened her grip of Mirai's hand.
 
"Mirai, run!" she signaled to her but it was too late. their path was cordoned off by the dark dressed men with aggression written all over their face. what really captured Umika's attention was the sign imprinted on their swords.
 
"! I knew it! It's him!"
 
"who?!" 
 
"I count to three and run towards the empty gap" she pointed to their weak point. but when she did, she realised their escape was futile. they were restrained and knocked out, subsequently carried in sacks to avoid suspicion.
 
"oh no!"arriving a second later, the mere realization of the dark dressed men carrying to 2 human-sized sacks with Umika's shoes falling out of one of them, tells him that they are met with some mishaps.
 
there were just simply too many people around him, slowing down his movement that eventually led him to lose sight of them.
also, he knew he stands no chance with 20 men, so fortunately he probed deeper into their identity. "damn... what's Nishikido planning?!" he clenched his fist and ran back to the palace to report to the King.
 
heart pounding, sweat trickling down his forehead and neck, Chinen bust into the King's chamber where he remained stationery in the icy cold room.
 
"could you stop doing that! knock before you come in!" Ainosuke grumbled at the rude minion who care less about honorifics and formalities at the moment.
 
"Ainosuke, Umika and Mirai~ they are in danger!"
 
Ainosuke stand on his feet and demanded answers to the shocking remark.
 
"They~ They are taken by Nishikido!"
 
"w-what?!! how dare he~ get the army and ransack his place" Ainosuke roared in anger.
 
"wait, we can't openly do that... cause their identity is too delicate. if we used the authority to threaten their release, then it'll expose everything....and Nishikido has the rights over Umika, so snatching her from him would render you a tyrant"
 
"so you know about the marriage deal?"
 
"not too long ago... maybe just after you..... and we can't just bring the army into his territories because that will strain the relationship between the novels and you"
 
"damn! so am I supposed to sit down and watch the 2 ladies suffer in his hands?!"
 
"we can get the rest, and we can brainstorm a solution~" Chinen suggested, but the anxiety in him is reaching an all time high. never does he feel so nervous.
 
"I don't know about you, if you guys are afraid of the strained relationships with Nishikido, then I'll go myself. Yamada Ryosuke has no relationship with Nishikido... all he knows is he got in his hands the people he cares for" Ainosuke grabbed his sword and dashed out of the room.
 
"wait up!  I'll go with you." Chinen forsakes all the mutual agreement binding all the nobles and first class generals, and decided to go along the train of thoughts of his King. Nishikido has captured someone he likes and he's gonna get her back regardless what. 
 
*******
the 2 ladies were dumped in separate tents in the middle of the army training ground. regaining consciousness, the 2 of them were immersed in the clashing of swords and shouting of military commands. they both knew that they were placed in the military camp where security is tight, making it impossible to escape. furthermore, their mouth was gagged and their arms and feet are bonded. they sat on the mat, immobile.
 
Mirai could hear murmurs from beside the tent. she let her ears near to the separating cloth between her and the outside and eavesdrop on the conversation.
 
"sir, it seemed that the King is getting suspicious about our military strength. my guards have found royal guards snooping around our territory recently."
 
"it took the young king faster than i thought. but it's alright, it is still within my expectation. his suspicion cannot be validated cause none of the nobles will dare investigate me. by the time he gathers enough evidence, the war would have broken out, and it'll be too late to realise that i've been assisting Akunami. once Aoihoshi falls, the king of Akunami has promised me the throne of Aoihoshi. the start of a new reign would mark the beginning of an alliance between Aoihoshi and Akunami to eliminate Shiroku. we will be the king of the south!" Nishikido Ryo and his general laughed hysterically as they reviewed their masterplan.
 
"what about Hiro Kawashima?"
 
"i should properly thank him shouldn't I? he has done so much for me... killing the busybody old General Chinen, trading his sister so I don't reveal his acts, and then giving me a whole fleet of 1,500... but blame it on his stupidity, so let him be. Hiro Kawashima is just a pawn in my game." unknown to them, Mirai has processed every bit of information, and she realised how dark politics could be and felt nervous and uncertain about Ainosuke's road ahead. tears trickled down as she thought of the treachery and schemes that were plotted against him and the country he strives so hard to protect.... but before that, she has to worry about herself.
 
"I'll let you handle Umika's commoner friend. I'll settle Umika...(evil laughter)... and I would still wanna remind you to be wary of the King. he's quite unpredictable and wise for his age, so I don't wanna underestimate his potential"
 
"yes sir... please enjoy your night"
 
"you too" 
 
they exchanged lustful glances before entering the 2 tents. 
 
"hello, my lady~" the big-sized man walked closer to Mirai, and attempted to run his hand on her supple cheeks.
 
"mmmmm" that was all that came out from Mirai's mouth. it was muffled and stuffed that she can't call for help. but even if she did, there won't be anyone here to save her. deep down she is crying for Ainosuke..."at least I gave my first to Ainosuke~" she tried to think positively but teardrops still fell from her moist eyes.
 
the lust man tried to her clothes but Mirai just couldn't endure herself being touched by another so even if it's futile, she put up a struggle. with the only mobile part on her, she used her head to hit aggressively on the man's chin, causing him to yell in pain. that also infuriated him. he pulled himself up and the next moment, he gave Mirai a tough slap that send her crashing into a table. at the same time, the impact caused a vase to drop beside her. she endured the pain from the fall and reached out to a broken glass without his knowledge. while he serenades her, she tried to cut the on her hands tied behind her back. she felt humiliated when the man ed her clothes to the last, revealing her bra and bare flash, but she tried putting her head into escaping... in no time, she cut through the and she released herself. in a fit of anger, she took the same piece of broken glass and stab into his neck as he tried to kiss her.
 
"arghhhhhh!!" the man collapsed.
 
she removed the cloth around and the on her feet and realised her hands are stained with blood. she was shivering in fear; she was traumatized. and the man was still struggling. she didnt know what to do. she want to gag him so he doesn't alert the rest but her hands are shivering so bad she can't control. the blood continued to flow from the stained glass that she grip in her hand and the pressure she exert on the glass is breaking her skin as well.
 
in her most desperate moment, it is like as if her calling was heard, 2 masked man with a smaller build as compared to her attacker broke in to the tent with their swords in their hands. they were stunned at the bloody scene and saw the badly shaken Mirai.
 
she thought she's doomed with more unknown attackers before her, and she started backing away and crying bitterly when one of them moved forward... it was a cautious move and the masked man approach gently. he proceeded to cup to silent her cries and bosom her in his arms from behind. instantly the minty scent and touch were so comforting and familiar to her five senses that she slowly followed his hand which urged the release of the glass in her bruised palm. she wanted to confirm his identity, so she turned around and looked into his eyes. there's no need to remove his mask, cause the eye contact between the 2 were telepathic and they connected. Tears welled up in her eyes, and he wiped it off causally and then covered her eyes as his other masked comrade easily slit the throat of the struggling man. finally the room is silent. she saw the cold body of the man and felt disgusted. the masked man quickly neaten her dressing and held her hands. the warmth radiating through the point of contact was so unnerving and she felt protected. the 2 masked men exchanged glances and they dashed out of the tent with Mirai as the central focus of protection.
though she had problems catching up to their swift speed, the one who held her hand was accommodating and gentle. they reached a faraway bush and ushered her to stay hidden and they gestured to return to the tent to rescue the other damsel in distress. Mirai hesitated to let go of his hand.
 
"Ainosuke~" 
 
he turned back and removed his mask, revealing his pale face which stands out in the dark. 
 
"I'll be back. you're safer here" his voice was so melodious. she threw herself towards him and embraced him tightly. "be safe" tiptoeing to his level, she whispered in his ears and dropped a quick peck on his cheeks. he returned a smile that serves as a binding promise and ran back into the camp with his comrade. every second she waited in the dark, the louder her heart thumped. she pressed her hands against her cheeks as she suppressed her fear by reminiscing the warmth from her love that remains on her hand.
 
back in the other tent, Umika is trapped in a state of water and fire. her fiancé has had enough of her struggles that he has evolved into the 'hulk', where he exert violence on her. 
 
"arghhhhhh" several tight slaps threw her to the ground, with blood staining the side of her lips and her cheeks glowing bright red from the impact. he dragged her by her hair and forced her to look at him.
 
"try to hide from me?!!! your dear brother has given you to me, and so you're mine! besides no one will come and save you, so I suggest you be smart and abide to all my instructions. resistance will just add more pain to your pathetic life!"
 
"don't touch me you bastard! I'm not married to you yet, so you don't owned me!"
 
"I said we are, and that'll be final!"
 
"arghhhhhh" he tightened his grip on her neck, leaving her choking for breathe.
 
"let her go!" a punch swings from nowhere and Ryo fell to the other side of the room, startling Umika in the process. she was lost as to who the 2 masked men were, but later it became obvious. she realised the punch was from Chinen just from a look of his eyes. she remembers the glance anywhere. Ryo picked up his sword and swing towards Chinen but Chinen blocked it off. it became a battle of strength as the swords pressed onto each other, and one wrong move, the sword will slash through the skin. When she wanted to get to her feet to help Chinen, the other masked man took her hands and dashed out of the tent.
 
"wait, Chinen~ we can't leave him back there!"
 
"Chinen knows what to do~ we have more to worry!" 
 
"Ainosuke~?" she realised his identity and was surprised that he came for her.
 
"shhh. don't speak of my name..... damn! there are guards chasing us!" to their horror, there were at least 6 who came after them. right in front, there was a lake and a path towards where Mirai is.
 
"Umika, can you swim?!" Ainosuke asked.
 
"no, I can't!"
 
he sighed. "okay listen, I'll distract them, and you go meet Mirai in the forest. Protect her as you promised."he let go of her hand and pushed her forward.
 
"no, I can't leave you alone, it's too dangerous."
 
"I'll be fine! GO!!!!" pressurized for time, she ran towards the forest, praying that the King will be fine, or she would have directly caused the life of a kindhearted king and a brother.
 
Ainosuke waited until the guards were in sight and deliberately jumped into the lake.
 
"did they jump in?!!" the guards assumed they did and so they plunged into the lake in search for them... Fortunately Ainosuke was a strong swimmer and can stay underwater for long, so he hid within the water plants until the guards eventually gave up their search. 
 
"what should we do? we can't find them at all? maybe they are not in the lake?" one guard said.
 
"yea, maybe they ran off. it was probably a decoy" another replied.
 
"ok, lets go back and report to general."
 
Ainosuke was close to suffocation and drowning if they never left. fortunately he came up in time, and but was totally drained of energy by the time he lifted himself out of the water. he felt like his whole life was out of him and he felt his aching right into his bones. he shivered in the cold as he dragged his drenched body towards the meeting point where he saw the other 3 safely together.
 
"Ainosuke!" the 3 ran towards him and felt genuinely relief to see their King back in one piece. but the happiest is Mirai. she clasped his shoulders and looked into his eyes with gratitude.
 
"thank goodness you're alright." she said and enclosed him in her arms.
 
instead of reciprocating, he felt weakness in his limbs and his vision of Mirai and everyone else were doubled. he couldn't even feel his soul. he wanted to speak her name, but he couldn't. nothing on his body is listening to him. 
 
"Ainosuke!!!!!"the three shouted. he fainted in Mirai's arms, shocking everyone at the scene. She lowered his shivering body and when she brought her palm on his face, she realised the problem.
 
"Oh no! he is burning hot!" his lips was pale, his cheeks was with a tint of red. it became clear that his body is not just shivering but he is having seizures! Mirai hugged him tightly in her arms and brushed his wet hair off his face, chanting his name and suppressing her cries of worry. Chinen and Umika exchanged glances of mutuality as they both agreed for once that their top priority now is to tend to the sick Ainosuke, and escaping from Nishikido's territory is secondary.
 
tumblr_machgqVwcl1r0w672o1_500.jpgtumblr_n0i4mmm0Rm1s9gvcco2_250.jpgtumblr_n0i4mmm0Rm1s9gvcco1_250.jpgtumblr_mzw1w4r4J91qg3b1wo1_500.png