Let it go

The Lost Prince

"hey, wake up!" the asleep girl was awakened from her sleep by Chinen who was awake for hours.

"w-what?!"
 
"there's rustling in the woods...shhh" Chinen cupped as she tried to keep herself compose and calm.
 
search there! we need to find the body or the king will kill us! 
 
but sir, why does the king want his dead body for.
 
you bummer ! he stole the document, we have to get it back. 
 
what if it's not with him?
 
then we're dead. cause it just means someone else took it. stop questioning and start searching. there's lights over there.
 
"damn." Chinen quickly blew off the little candle near the bedside and lifted his body, though his wounds still give a stinging pain.
 
"what are we gonna do? you haven't recovered." she was freaking out as the footsteps outside drew closer.
 
"I'll distract them, you go from the back"
 
"Are you crazy?! this is suicidal Chinen Yuri! I'm not gonna let you risk your freaking life again."
 
"you're really stubborn ~"
 
"yes, we can go on and argue about this and waste our time, and we'll both die. or we should shut up and get out of here right now" she sternly insisted as if the latter is the only option. acknowledging that any time lost now will jeopardize both lives, leaves Chinen with no choice but to adhere to her instructions.
 
albeit limping, he still maintained a relatively fast speed. She supported his body with his arms over shoulder and speed walked through the dense forest, lightening their footsteps as they trampled on the dried leaves.
 
"there!" unfortunately they were still spotted by 3 guards patrolling in that area. The girl already exhausted from the weight of Chinen, continued to press on but Chinen has alternative thoughts.
 
"you have to leave me. we won't make it, but you can. you have done enough for me." She continued to move forward, ignoring his words and turning a deaf ear.
 
"listen! they're closing in on us. why are you so persistent for?!" he forcefully break loose from her tight grip, and in that instant, her desperation has tipped the roof.
 
"Because I Love you!!! Chinen Yuri!"
 
"heh?" the sudden confession left Chinen in a state of confusion, and the predicament they're in took a back seat. 
 
"ever since you saved me the first time we met, I couldn't forget about you. you penetrated deep into my mind..."
 
"the first time? I saved you? then why did you only tell me now?!"
 
"cause I'm... I'm a Kawashima!!!"
 
Chinen was speechless at the double shock in merely few seconds. first the confession, then the revelation of her identity that triggered off a long history of family feud and his hatred. the fact he was saved by his very own family enemy only left him in more disgust and felt that he betrayed his own kind.
 
"no wonder you were so secretive~!"
 
"I wanted to keep you alive, but I know if you are aware of my identity, you'll never let me close to you. I can't watch you die"
 
"right you are! I would rather die than saved by you!!!"
 
Tears jerked out from both their beady eyes, but the emotional moment was put into an abrupt stop as the 3 guards approached with swords armed in their hands, prepared for combat.
 
"Intruders, Kill them!" Chinen tried to hold up his sword and blocked off the incoming attacks from 2 of 3 guards, while Umika tackled the 3rd. Chinen's wounds tore open amid the rigorous actions and the excruciating pain is compromising his defense. Umika saw Chinen struggling, and ran in front of him to shield him from the incoming attacks.
 
"go away!!!! I don't need your help!" every word Chinen shouted, breaks her heart as nothing could be more hurtful than being pushed away from someone as kind as Chinen and someone so dear to her. she disregarded the cruel words and gather all her energy to block off every blow that comes towards them. 1 against 3 was indeed too much for Umika as she found herself panting hard and every swing of her sword is getting heavier. Chinen knew she cannot endure much longer, and he begins to pity her because regardless of how much he hates the Kawashima's, he did have a positive impression of her up now.
 
"follow my plans! run, and I'll hold them off."
 
"last time, no I won't leave you behind!"
 
"I won't appreciate your sacrifice! so don't do such unworthy stuff!"
 
Arghhhhhhhh She swings the last blow she could and fell to the ground, totally drained off every bit of energy she has. Chinen blocked off the blow that came directly at her, but the subsequent blows were hurting him too much. he embraced her from the back, temporarily shoving their generations' of bad blood aside as they face their impending death. they both shut their eyes as they brace themselves for impact, but the impact never came...what came were three other swordsman in their horses, swiftly brushing from the sides of the attackers with their swords silting their throats mercilessly. the attackers collapsed instantly and their necks revealed a clean cut that flaunted marvelous swordsmanship. Recovering from the horror, Umika and Chinen looked up only at their saviours and Chinen was taken aback by their identity, leaving only Umika who remained ignorant and confused. 
 
Umika saw tears running down Chinen's cheeks but unsure why... aside from that, she could sense overwhelming emotions transpiring between him and the middle one of the 3 saviours who looked like they were in the same age range, early 20s perhaps. he looks stunning, firm and majestic at the same time, while the 2 older and taller guys beside looked rather familiar to her.
 
"you're alive" Ainosuke mumbled but Chinen heard it and nodded. Ainosuke move forth and gave the latter a brotherly embrace and it was almost like a reunion for 2 long lost brothers. 
 
"thank goodness you're okay."
 
"Your highness, you forgive me?"
 
"yes. and I allow you to revert back to casual salutations"
 
"thank you, Ainosuke... and sorry for worrying you."
 
as Chinen speaks, Umika was dumbfounded when the name he uttered rang a bell, and that it brought fear and uncertainty.
 
"A-Ainosuke? oh my, King Ainosuke?!" Ainosuke pulled back from Chinen as he finally took notice of the other person in the picture, and was mentally surveying her when he realised the similar radiance and youthfulness emitted as the rest of them.
 
"Umika Kawashima~" Yabu interrupted, and the rest have their doubts cleared immediately. She subtly nodded as if too afraid of exchanging glances with any of them, especially the King.
 
"this is King Ainosuke." Hikaru rushed to introduce after sensing that she has not seen him before. She gave a bow, but was intimidated by the playful king.
 
"raise your head, miss. it's quite rude not to look at the speaker in the eye."
 
"but it's rude to stare too." she argued but remembered she isn't supposed to do that.
 
"ah... rebutting. chill, I'm not gonna bite. keep it this way, don't be too uptight." Ainosuke walked forward with a soothing smile that eased her tense nerves.
 
"He's Yabu Kota and I'm Hikaru Yaotome... I believe we met before when we were much younger." eventually it triggered off memories from the past. she recalled the 2 niichan among a few other boys from the first class generals who were always high up there and unapproachable cause all the other female royalties would want to get a piece of them. a soft tint of pink surfaced on her cheeks as she realised she's surrounded by the most charming people, including the young King. but her attention immediately shifted to Chinen who remained on the ground with fresh blood oozing from one of his wounds.
 
"Chinen~" naturally she ran forward with the intention to dress his wound but what came was hostility and fierce intimidation. 
 
"don't touch me!" he pushed her to the ground and despite her subsequent attempts to come closer, he only reacted with more hostility. he grabbed his sword and pointed at the fearful girl, shocking the other spectators around.
 
"hey, enough. are you going to disrespect me with these acts." Ainosuke stood in front of the shaken Umika, shielding her from Chinen's sword, forcing him to retreat.
 
"you don't understand, Ainosuke. she's...."
 
"I don't want to hear your explanation. I'll hear from her. Yabu, Hikaru, dress up his wounds." he instructed his generals, partly with the intentions to separate the 2. 
 
"if you dare to harm Ainosuke like how your murderer brother, be sure I'll be the first to skin you alive" Chinen send a chilling message to Umika before he stepped away with Yabu and Hikaru.
 
Umika's limbs weakened upon hearing those threatening words, her heart breaks and her eyes filling with tears.
 
"don't mind him. now, I believe you have some explanation to do" Ainosuke looked at her with stern, yet at the same time, comforting stare. it's like as though it was her kin trying to understand her, so she instinctively let down her guard.
 
"Through our great grandparents generations up till now, the Kawashima and Chinen family are enemies though we serve the same ruler. we never work together and all the rulers knew it, it's like an unwritten taboo. I heard that it started with both sides thinking they betrayed each other, leaving each other in the lurch during a war."
 
"but it's so long ago. Chinen doesn't seem like the kind that really bear grudges that doesn't involve him, especially towards a girl."
 
"your highness, that's because something triggered off the hatred once more. During Minoru's rule, Chinen's father was found dead and..." she halted. he saw hesitant in her eyes and knew that the next part is difficult to express and may result in repercussions on her.
 
"and what?!" 
 
she suddenly dropped to her knees, begging for forgiveness from the King who is trying to make sense of the dramatic events.
 
"my brother... he was there when Chinen's father died..."
 
Ainosuke's brows knitted together and Umika could see the tension building within.
 
"please believe me, your highness. it's a misunderstanding... my brother, surely didnt kill him. circumstances are just misleading..." she avoided his eyes, afraid that he'll pass his unfavourable judgement.
 
"let me guess, Minoru did nothing about it. no investigations carried out? no punishment meted?" she subtly nodded to his statements. there was a long pause and Umika wondered what's going on in his mind, fearful about what lies ahead.
 
"I will look into this feud, and make sure it ends with you and Chinen."
 
"thank you your highness!" she bowed continuously, and it made Ainosuke really uncomfortable.
 
"enough. I must make myself clear though, I am not guaranteeing that your brother will be safe. if I find that he really did it, I'm going to take the appropriate action against him. I'm not siding any one party."
 
"I understand. i have faith in my brother too."
 
"keep that faith.... it may be alittle inappropriate to ask, cause I'm still new to my position, so pardon my ignorance, I don't recall Kawashima on my list of first class generals. but hearing from you, your family should have been isn't it?"
 
"my family was. but my parents died early during Minoru's time, leaving only me and my brother. from then, we got demoted to second class and my brother took over the Kawashima army. he's like the man of the house now"
 
"I see. it's a pity since the Kawashima has been serving the rulers for centuries. then I've another question, it's more personal though."
 
"anything, your highness..." Umika felt more at ease as the King became more causal in his wording and even his gestures communicated friendliness. Unknowingly they were already sitting by a tree, like as though they are friends. It's really an unusual feeling given that it's her first encounter with any King, and Ainosuke is so much different from what she has been hearing during her parents time, in books and etc. she never once thought that she can chat causally with the King. 
 
she focused her mind on the question being asked.
 
"if Kawashima and Chinen family have been enemies all this while, then I don't understand how you come to know of Chinen and even risk your life to save him. it doesn't make sense."
 
"... when we were young, during a palace party organized by Minoru... I fell into a deep pond, and Chinen saved me. that time, he introduced himself first, and upon hearing it, I hesitated to reveal mine and circumstances were such that I didn't have the opportunity as well cause he was summoned by his mother immediately after. "
 
"I see. Romeo & Juliet ~"
 
"your highness" she blushed hard at the King's teasing, and didnt know how to face the king in the same light anymore. it was like she's couldn't take him seriously cause he's so lighthearted with her.
 
"kidding... anyway does Chinen know now that you were the girl he saved then?"
 
"no. I don't think so. please Don't let him know. no matter how much he hates Umika Kawashima, I don't want to spoil his impression of the girl he saved back then."
 
"your secret is safe with me." he gave a smile just as sunshine as Chinen that caused her heart to skip a beat. as Yabu and Hikaru returned with a much more refreshed Chinen, Umika restored the formalities and stood by Ainosuke's side while avoiding the deadly stare from Chinen.
 
Ainosuke realised the negative aura emitted from Chinen and found that the 2 of them were like cat and rat, he felt that he needed to say or do something. he exchanged glances with the equally-troubled Hikaru and Yabu, but there didnt seem to be anything they could think of to distract them, until Ainosuke experienced a eureka moment.
 
"we need to get out of here right now. and after we update Ryutaro, I would like to drop by a town nearby."
 
"what for, Ainosuke?"
 
"to visit someone," the generals saw the rare smile of warmth on their King's face, that they haven't seen for quite some time. they knew at once that it's someone dear to him.
 
"oh, I insist Umika come with us." Ainosuke voiced, shocking all the rest.
 
"why?!" Chinen protested.
 
"well, until I think of what to do with the 2 family, I can't let the other subject go, can I?"
 
Yabu and Hikaru were stunned that Ainosuke is the only king who will outrightly tackle the generations of feud between the 2 family, and felt grateful of his attempt. but, on the contrary, Chinen and Umika felt pressured by his decision to step in as a mediator.
 
"another reason is I want to personally thank your saviour." Ainosuke stepped towards Chinen and emphasized his point.
 
"b-but she doesn't deserve your goodwill" Chinen eyed Umika as he spoke and she shrunk into her tortoise shell like afraid she'll be eaten up.
 
"I decide whether she's deserving. she saved not only you, Chinen Yuri my best companion and brother, she also saved me from eternal darkness if you've been dead."
 
this touched Chinen so much that he was distracted from the anger and immersed himself in the brotherly love that Ainosuke showered upon him. 
 
"Ainosuke~"
 
"okay wipe your tears. you don't want your 'enemy' to see your delicate side right," Chinen immediately wiped his tears away after the reminder.
 
"there's three horses, each of us will ride Chinen or Umika..." as Yabu instructed, the three owners already hoped on their respective horses, leaving only Chinen and Umika staring blankly at their choices, especially Umika who felt extremely shy around guys like Yabu and Hikaru who has always been the center of conversations among the girls in their status. now that she found how dashing and heart-throb their King is, the more she blushed at every point. 
 
"pick your choice, my lady." Ainosuke teased once more. somehow he has the urge to poke fun of her whenever he looked at her. it's like she reminded him of his childhood.
 
She was taken aback by the King's glib tongue, but instead of getting frustrated, she got nervous as she couldn't make a choice.
 
thinking the choices were limited to Yabu and Hikaru, everyone got a shock when she uttered "your highness" instead.
 
"me?!"
 
maybe because she talked more to the King, with the exception of Chinen, and maybe because she is too burdened by the knowledge of the popularity of the 2 taller hunks... perhaps also because she felt more at ease when she's around the King, that she made the choice.
 
"if it's okay, your highness?"
 
although still pondering hard, he agreed. however, Chinen on the other hand was jealous cause he intended to hop on Ainosuke's one as he has just so much he wanted to convey to him, but now it's completely ruined. he rode on Hikaru's while Yabu took the lead. they quickly galloped out of Akunami effortlessly. 
 
********
"Thank goodness you are alright, Chinen! I thought we lost you!" Ryutaro and Shintaro disregarded all formalities in front of the King and threw a solid embrace over their childhood friend, with teardrops of relief filling their eyes.
 
"I'm really sorry to worry you guys, and I hope I never caused much trouble."
 
"not really, except (that the king came personally)" Shintaro whispered into Chinen's ears, and immediately he turned subtly to look at the worn-out Ainosuke.
 
"is it really safe for your highness to wander around and not head back to the palace?" Ryutaro asked Yabu as he worries of the sneaky Akunami launching assasinations knowing that the security around him is low, but Yabu convinced the former of the low possibility of it happening within the highly secured Aoihoshi.
 
"moreover, he needs this time. Past years have been really hard for him, shedding his carefree life, burdened by all the issues big and small, as well as relationship problems that bombard him every now and then, I think he needs to pull himself together. He used to have some people he could share his thoughts with, but needless for me to say, he is losing them one by one. The late Akiyoshi, King Minoru, and every King we have served, I don't think any of them are as lonely as him. Sometimes, I can't bear to see him struggling with his emotions, it's just too much for a boy like him, trying to act strong in front of all of us. Chinen, thankfully you are alive, or I can't imagine what will become of Ainosuke. WIth that, you have forsaken your position as the King's confidant, cause you yourself have become someone one of his worries. so I think letting him meet Yamada Yu would be a good idea. He hasn't taken part in any of the troubled politics and emotional struggles Ainosuke has encountered, so he could possibly be one of the very few people left that could give him some quality peptalk." Hikaru explained with expression of remorse and sadness spreading to the rest in the circle. All that returned was sighs.
 
"We'll set off next thing in the morning. I think he needs some quiet time, he is obviously putting a false front the past few hours, not wanting us to be worried. He seemed distraught... no, he seemed like he is thinking about something hard, something that he intends to decide and put his mind to it" Yabu announced to the crowd.
 
What could it be about? "I'll go and take a look at him now" Chinen motioned towards the exit, but was held back by Yabu.
 
"have you forgotten what I just said.? I think you are not the best person to talk to him now. I've sent Umika, so don't worry."
 
"UMIKA?! why send her?!" the rest weren't surprised of Chinen's reaction, letting his enemy near his best friend could really make him flip.
 
"Chill Chinen! We're talking about the King, not you, so you don't have to be so resistant. I have my reasons. It appears to me that Umika seemed really good at distracting him, or at least I could see that the King feels more relaxed talking to her than any of us now. Perhaps it's a girls thing that they're always able to entangle the twisted hearts and mend the broken wounds," Hikaru and the rest nodded at Yabu's analysis, and Chinen could only accede.
 
*******
tumblr_lyw9exQnx91qdnhp0o1_500.png
"What is it?" there was annoyance in his tone, so much that it startled the approaching girl and slowed down her footsteps.
 
"Your highness, I brought some snacks in case you are hungry." Umika found her way beside him and lowered the sumptous supper the generals have specially prepared. Everything was topped with strawberries, from strawberry milkshake, strawberry-flavoured biscuits and strawberry cake. His eyes glimmered at the sight and ushered her to sit down.
 
"Can I?"
 
"of course, I can't possibly finish all of this," she was once again convinced about how he gave her such humanistic feel that was unlike all the talks about the hostility surrounding royalties. She abided and sat quietly beside him while he munched on the food like a young boy faced with his favorite food. Under the starry sky, she could almost hear the troubles running through his mind, burdening his already heavy heart.
 
"if there's anything i can help, I'll be at your service." Umika thought she should, not because Yabu asked her to tend to him, but because she is beginning to feel connected with the King just like how the other generals did. She understood why the generals were willing to risk their lives, and swear their lives voluntarily to him, cause he is more than a King, he is like a friend, a brother.
 
He put down the half eaten biscuit and heaved a sigh. Unlocking his frowns and staring beyond the night sky, he shared some of his bottled feelings that Umika was glad he did, cause she knew it was unhealthy to keep it within him, and that was exactly what Yabu hoped she could do. 
 
"I missed those days when I could just do whatever I like, not having to think about the repercussions cause it will only affect me and not others. But now, whatever I do, will affect the people around me, just like how I almost got Chinen killed."
 
Umika never expected to hear such heartfelt confessions from a King so she found herself lost for words, but before she could think of a response, Ainosuke interrupted her.
 
"I know you are not sure what to say to me. you know what, this is something I have to be used to, no one can help me. It's my fate. And after this incident, i learnt that if I continue to hold on to something that is clearly a thing of the past, then I will end up hurting the people around me."
 
was it about the Queen? should I ask... no I shouldn't. She thought in her mind as she saw his eyes shinning under the dim light which could be the effect of the tears. She knew he is about to break but really didn't know how to comfort.
 
"Umika~"
 
"ne?"
 
"I want to ask...Why do you want to be a female warrior? girls like you should enjoy the glamour and jewels, i thought?"
 
"It's because...." she thought her answer would be too vain so she held back, and desperately searched through her mental dictionaries for fillers.
 
"don't tell me it's because Chinen inspired you or something...."
 
was it so obvious that he could tell without me saying? She blushed and he chuckled slightly, knowing that he made the right guess.
 
"well, I always knew Chinen has that charismatic look that draws girls. In fact, I know many girls are throwing themselves at my generals."
 
"it's not just that reason. I am grown up in that environment where I always see my father and brother waving swords, sparring with each other every other day. They were also my sources of inspiration. I love the sounds of the clashing of swords."
 
He smiled slightly and then it fell into a dead silence. What came after was another heart-wrenching statement that left Umika sleepless through the night.
 
It is time for me to move on. I should have done it 2 years back, and I hope that it's not too late to mend the hearts I hurt during this period.

 **********

tumblr_lzyz6tg5px1qdnhp0o1_500.gif