Mirai

The Lost Prince

Ainosuke set his mind to overthrow Minoru after much support from his comrades Chinen and others, the people of Aoihoshi who supported him, and more importantly, Mirai and her Shiroku army~ 

 
They started their attacks and all seemed optimistic for Ainosuke and his army. apparent to all, Ainosuke has clearly inherited the wise leadership, swordsmanship and battle tactics from his father, the late King Akiyoshi.
 
It didn't take long for Ainosuke's power to grow so strong that Minoru and his army are finally defeated.
 
(I'm not confident in going into the details of the battle so, I'm not gonna try. Sorry for disappointing if you're looking for some action)
 
Ainosuke POV
 
"Minoru, I'll let you pay for what you've done to Ainosuke sometime back~ I warned you that we'll be back and when the time comes, you will fall" Mirai said to the captured Minoru and his minions.
 
 just when they thought the battle is won, Ainosuke becomes King, and peace is restored, they found out something so shocking that could threaten Ainosuke's status as the future King of Aoihoshi...
 
"is it Queen Mirai? what if you're the one who will pull him down from his position?"
 
"Stop spouting nonsense! Yuya, bring them away!" Ainosuke furiously instructed upon hearing the conversation slanting towards slander and defamation. 
 
"My dear King, you worked so hard... I can't help but pity you, cause very soon people who supported you will feel disappointed in you and the Queen...."
 
"and why is that so~?" Ainosuke asked.
 
I eyed Mirai and realised she is shaking badly. her lips are trembling as she mouthed my name, but there's no voice.
 
as I walked towards her, hoping to calm her down, Minoru spoke, "a king with an infertile wife is worst than a bad king. the royal bloodline of Great Akiyoshi will still end with their last prince, your highness."
 
My heart almost stop pounding, the faces of every single one behind me reveal disappointment and regret.
I hoped for some reassurance from Mirai, that all he said are all untrue, but her expression tells me otherwise.
 
she lowered her head as if self-reflecting, and by that moment, I realised something is not right~
 
...
nevertheless, peace in Aoihoshi is restored, the treacherous Minoru and his army and all his subjects are banished from the city.
 
Ainosuke gave his father, the late King Akiyoshi a proper burial and paid his respect to him for the first time since his birth. 
 
Ainosuke reinstates his mother, Umi's rightful position though he hasn't yet met her since the last time they met in the torture chambers. He felt that he doesn't understand her and couldn't forgive her.
 
Though Yu and Riko initially refused, Mirai insisted that they reside in the palace. Ainosuke is somewhat happy he can still enjoy the comfort of being with the family he lived with for 20 years, however, somewhere within he felt uneasy about the close proximity and Mirai's persistence on this.
 
but amid all these, everyone who matter are still bothered by Minoru's final words that suggest the possible infertility of Mirai. 
 
Chinen and the rest knew the severity of this issue if it's founded to be true; Mirai knew it as well. but the recently-got-closer couple is not prepared to face this and never once did they thought this could be a problem since they never really sleep with each other every night. the once-contractual-now-complicated relationship could turn for the worst .
 
...
Ainosuke POV
 
 
"and this is the last item on the agenda today. we'll end this meeting" Ainosuke said to his subjects.
 
"Wait Ainosuke~ I've something to bring up..." Hikaru voiced out on behalf of his comrades.
 
"yeah?"
 
Hikaru's eyes shifted towards Mirai as if awaiting for approval.
 
"it's about Queen Mirai"
 
I didn't wanna talk about this so soon. I know what Hika is hinting and I just feel a sense of loss whenever we start brooding over what that bastard said. things are looking good between me and Mirai, and I've been feeling something for her for quite sometime, I am afraid that going into this topic will ruin everything. but it seemed I can't avoid this forever...
 
"I know the both of you have been sleeping on separate beds and everything... but I think it's time to think about Aoihoshi's next generation..."
 
"it's too soon to talk about this~ we can talk about having a child once everything settles in"
 
"no, Ainosuke, you don't understand. this has become the problem lately. rumours are spreading about the Queen being~infertile. this has resulted in some talks about your suitability as king if you can't guarantee that there's no hostile takeover since the bloodline will end with you if the Queen doesn't give birth...and also you don't want King Akiyoshi's great works for Aoihoshi to end with you, do you?"
 
"enough! that's between 2 of us, and I believe Mirai. there's no need to address such rumours. anyway we'll have a baby when we are ready" I feel really awkward saying this since we haven't even formally slept with each other. ever since she professed her love for me (and I haven't quite got the chance to respond), I feel the urge to protect her, especially from such circumstances.
 
"Chotto~ I have something to say." she uttered softly and weakly... I see tears in her eyes...
 
"Mirai~ ignore this" I held her hand and she looked at me with her teary eyes
 
"Gomenasai Ainosuke~ No one knew about this, not even my parents... it's true, the doctor told me when i was younger, that It's difficult for me to give birth due to a health complication. i never thought that this will ever become a problem cause i never imagined myself marrying the heir to a throne, so it slipped out of my mind. i should have told you earlier.... but...(she choked on her tears) I'm sorry I let you down and cause you problems" she cried
 
I admit i am slightly disappointed, but... I am gonna continue protecting her cause that's what my heart says
 
"don't worry about it, we can think of something~" I smiled at her and pressed her hand gently as if to tell her everything will be fine.
 
"I've thought of a way already, Ainosuke." she gently released her hand off mine. 
 
"Marry Riko. Give Aoihoshi a heir... once Aoihoshi no longer needs Shiroku's army, I'll give up my position, and everything will fall back into place... it won't take long, so just bare with it for the time being... Riko" Riko looked up like as though this didnt surprise her.
"what is this? am I the only one who don't know about this plan?!"
 
"Niichan, I...."
 
"yes, I told her about this plan earlier" she replied with a stone face.
 
"you have it all thought out?... and you guys don't even bother to discuss with me?!!"
 
"Ainosuke, I..." Mirai interrupted.
 
"why is it so easy for you to say this?! so does this mean all those stuff you said back at the stream, is all fake!"
"Ainosuke, this arrangement is the best for all of us!"
 
"All?! for you too?!"
 
"it's my fault so you don't have to think about how I feel~ anyway our marriage has been contractual , now I'm giving you two a chance to be with who you really like.this should be what you want!.. anyone can tell that both of you care about each other. so  don't try to be understanding towards me!"
 
I like Riko? seemed like Chinen and the rest agreed with what Mirai said~ I feel so fumed now that I couldn't think properly. Mirai, I thought we no longer see each other as comrades, I thought we see each other more than just the contract...
 
"fine. since it has been decided, there's no need for my approval. I'll just follow suit, if that's what you want, my Queen." I noticed Riko's helpless expression, and I think this discussion will only be hurtful to everyone if i continue. I don't even know what I'm saying. do I really want to go ahead with this plan?
I stormed away from the court and in that instant, my foot just intuitively walked towards a lone room that I have never visited since I returned to the palace.
 
maybe it's because at such a time, I feel that I've no one to talk to, to share my problems with, that i think of this person...i can't approach even my closest confidant who accompanied me through my most difficult time, whom I thought understood me...
 
"Ainosuke?~" my mom is surprised by my unannounced entrance...
 
I did not respond, instead I found a cozy spot at the tip of the bed and sat. i lowered my head and buried my head in between my palms..
 
"do you love my dad? or do you love Minoru?"
 
"Ainosuke?"
 
"TELL ME!"
 
"do you wanna hear me explain?"
 
I looked at her and am surprised how frail she looked since the last time i saw her.
 
"I don't know what I can say to make you believe me... All that i said to you in the torture chambers is to ensure that you can make it out alive. I know it hurtsyou badly, but I had no other choice, cause I don't wanna see my beloved son die in front of me. You grew up to be a fine man and there's no way I see you walk into your grave. Whoever you are., prince or not, it doesn't matter. you are my son, and I just want you to live. Every whip on your beautiful skin is like an arrow pierced deep in my heart. Do you understand, Ainosuke~" she cried.
 
I looked at her and my arms stretched out for her. I hesitated to touch her.
 
"I did all those to protect you. You are all that I left." she cried
 
My heart breaks to hear her continue...I wanted to believe in her. I wanted to embrace her. I wanted to call her....
 
"Okasan"
 
she looked up at me with teary eyes and threw her arms over me, "my son!"
 
we cried in each other's arms and comforted each other for all the ordeals that we went through.
 
after what seemed like hours, I sat beside her on her bedside immersed in the comforting arms she put over my shoulder.
 
"is there something troubling you?"
 
"it's Mirai~ initially i thought our love is merely a piece of paper and that no love will bloom between us. but overtime, I feel different for her. I feel like I want to be beside her all the time. I feel like protecting her from all the harm she is receiving outside. I no longer want to distant myself from her like before."
 
"this means you love her"
 
"it is?"
 
"yes, my son" she ran her fingers through my hair.
 
"but, okasan.... she confessed to me that she love me something back. but today, she said she'll bless my marriage with Riko and she'll leave me for good."
 
"i heard about those rumours about her infertility... if it's true that she cant give Aoihoshi a heir, she will threaten your position as King"
 
"What is love?! is it just about having babies?! I just wanna be by her side."
 
"If you were just a commoner, love is just that, simple and sweet. But you are now King of Aoihoshi. You have your people behind you. You cannot let them down. Gomenasai Ainosuke" she gave me an embrace.
 
"okasan!~ it hurts so bad..."
"Ainosuke.... you know, the fact that she gave her blessings and initiated such an idea, it proves that she still love you.in fact, she is so in love with you that she doesn't want you to get hurt by the rumours that revolves around her."
 
"really?" i looked at her in disbelief.
 
"yes. this is the highest level of love, the willingness to sacrifice for one's true love so that you can attain happiness."
 
i wiped my tears and stood up. I am finally enlightened."okasan arigatou! there's someone i need to see now."
 
"go ahead" she smiled at me before I dash through the door.