Grudge

Jonghyun the Genie

"Maybe they had reasons for doing so?" Jonghyun suggested. This concept of parents abandoning their children was new to him.

He had been the prince. The apple of his parent's eyes. There were many maids and officials that doted on him like he was the most important thing on earth.

Why would anyone abandon their children?

Ji Eun shook her head. "It was plain stupid." she croaked.

FLASHBACK

"Hey newbie!" a large and well built for her age girl came towards Ji Eun. "Why are you here? How did yours die?"

Ji Eun rubbed her eyes and looked up at the older unnie.

"What died?" she asked.

The older laughed. "Your parents of course!" she scoffed. "Of course yours died that's why you're in an orphanage right?"

Ji Eun shook her head furiously. "My parents are not dead! They told me they will come pick me up!"

The older one laughed heartily. "Don't lie newbie!" she chided. "All of us here don't have parents so don't try to brag!"

"I'm not!" Ji Eun started crying.

There after, Ji Eun was regarded as liar for lying that her parents are still alive. That was, until a letter came for her.

"I've got a letter from my parents!" Ji Eun shrieked loudly.

The other children eyed her curiously, finally believing her "lies". Ji Eun tore open the letter and asked the orphanage's only care taker, Aunt Eunjoo to read the letter out loud.

"Dear Ji Eun," Aunt Eunjoo began. "This is Umma and Appa. We are sorry for leaving you alone. But Umma and Appa HAE decided to divorce because both of us found someone else we love and we have decided to start new families."

Ji Eun froze on the spot. New families? Then what about the family they had?

"Our new families can't fit another child so we ask for your understanding that we leave." Aunt Eunjoo trailed off, not wanting to continue seeing Ji Eun's tear stained face.

"Ji Eun ah.." Aunt Eunjoo called softly.

"I HATE THEM!" Ji Eun screamed and ran off.

The other children laughed at her. Not because she didn't have parents. But because she proved that her parents were alive, and they didn't want her.

From that day onwards, she was called the "unwanted child."

END OF FLASHBACK

"You don't know how much it hurt Jonghyun." Ji Eun sobbed. "To know that your parents decided to abandon you in search of a better life. A life without you in it."

Jonghyun winced, seeing her tears again. He summoned the tissues and made them wipe off the tears.

"But they may be dead now Ji Eun ah." Jonghyun convinced. "Even if they abandoned you, they may be dead now. Don't you want to go and make sure whether they are alive or not?"

Ji Eun turned her body round such that her back faced Jonghyun. "No." she said firmly. "I don't want to go. I have no such parents."

"Ji Eun ah.." Jonghyun sighed.

"It's final Jonghyun. I'm not going." Ji Eun buried her face in her pillow and started crying again.

Jonghyun sighed again and sat near her. *She's going to regret this decision. I just know it.*



"What?" Aunt Eunjoo gasped.

The officer nodded solemnly. "Park Daewon and Lee Sujin have been confirmed in the list of victims. They have passed away."

Aunt Eunjoo felt tears trickling down her cheeks. "Omo." she cupped . "How am I going to tell this to Ji Eun?"