Sixteen

Heart Reserved For One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Amber, you wanna go to the movies with us? -Chanyeol

Sorry Yeolie, I have things I have to do today. - Amber

I did not forget what today was.

I wanted to go earlier, but of course work was keeping me busy. Happy with what I choose, I got out my money and handed it to the cashier.

"Thank you for buying, come again."

I gave her a smile and left the flower shop. After getting on and off my bus, I took many steps around the cemetery before finding the correct grave.

I got on my knees, and placed the flowers on the grass in front of the tombstone.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Mrs. Wu,” I greeted.

 

I took a deep breath. I never enjoyed this day, the anniversary of my mother's death.

My father was temproarily in another country for work, so it was just me who was going to visit my mother today.

I held onto the flowers while I walked to my mother’s grave. As I kept walking, I noticed a figure in front of my mother's grave. I stopped on my tracks when I got a better look of the figure. It was Amber.

She visits my mother?

I wanted to badly ask her why she was here. Was she here for respect? Because of guilt? Or because she generally misses my mother?

I took a few steps closer so I would be able to hear her, but I didn’t want her to notice me.

“A lot of things have changed since I last visited you last year. I finally made friends, after your son and I stopped contacting each other."

She paused. "I think I am happy now, and my life is finally together."

“Remember when I used to always have Wufan help me on my homework because homework wasn’t exactly ‘my style’?” Amber asked my mother.

I chuckled, completely understanding her inside joke. I would always refer something either as ‘my style’ or ‘not my style’. Okay, I still do that today.

“My grades are improving. I either have As or Bs now, thanks to my friends Suho, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo who tutors me occasionally. And ever since I got another job, I’ve been making more money and my savings have been growing.” She said.

Was she going to keep on talking about how her life was? Oh Amber..

Listening to her for a while, she was mainly talking about EXO-K, which irked me a little. Was she really that better off without me now?

“They are all very handsome. Many girls like them and they even get confessions every other day. Some of the girls are my school are jealous of my friendship with the guys, but I don’t understand because I’m just ‘one of the guys’. One of them, Sehun is really a unique boy. Sure, he can be brutally honest and says very harsh words. But I know under that, he is very caring for the people close to him. He really is a great catch too.”

I unintentionally clenched my jaw.

She continued, “I used to wonder what would've happened if... things haven't become this way. Would I have been Wufan's girlfriend? Would you have been eventually my mother-in-law? Or maybe he wouldn't have felt the same way anyways and our friendship would have been awkward."

I blinked,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter