The Close Encounter

A Double Take

“Well first of all, what are you doing in my room?” She asked in return.

“I came in to check on you since you didn’t bother turning on the heater last night, you might have been frozen to death but as I can see, you didn’t even sleep in here,” he answers with those strong determine eyes – that really scares her.

“What makes you think I didn’t sleep in here?”  She asked.

“You’re not in bed and you’re climbing through the window – what else is there?” He answered in return.

“Look here Mr. ert, I woke up early and went out for a jog and didn’t realize I locked myself out so I tried all the windows and the only one that was opened happen to be the one in my room,” she replies coolly.

He is now frowning and not sure whether he believed her or not.

“You didn’t give me a spare key did you so how else am I supposed to get back in?” She challenged him.

“You could have asked and second of all, the key is hanging by the coat rack right before you leave – next time grab them before going out on your jog,” he blurted out in anger.

“No need to get angry here and next time don’t come into my room uninvited, “she suggested.

“I’m not angry, I was just shock seeing you climb through the window like some experience burglar,” he tried to calm his anger.  How can she make him so bother by one small action.  He is so confuse since he is not even attracted to her.

“If you’re all done, I need to get ready to work in the garden,” she tried to usher him out the door.

“Fine.  I’ll be leaving shortly for the boat house but I’ll be back by lunch time,” he told her before leaving.

As soon as the door was closed behind him, she releases a sigh.  That was a close call.  So literally now she cannot go disappearing during the day along with the overnight rampage – good grief.  She was practically useless to her team now. Vic is not going to like this at all.  Damn it!

 

Once Kris left the cottage, Luna phoned Vic who answered on the first ring, “You got caught,” was the first think she said.

“Pretty much but I don’t know how much of it he actually believed me,” Luna sighs.

“Okay.  We don’t want you in any predicament either so just stick to gardening until I further instruct you otherwise,” Vic told her since she understands her situation well.

"Thanks Vic, I'll check in with you when the timing is right," she bid her farewell.

At the boathouse.

Time to do some checking with the rest of the crew.

“Hello hyung,” Kai answer exhaustedly.

“Why are you so tired?” Kris asked.

“I’m double loaded with extra work since my intern is out of the office for family reason,” he yawned.

“Oh. Is everything alright?” He asked.

“She wouldn’t say except that it is personal and would need the week off,” Kai grumbles.

“Did she have to leave town?” He asked out of the blue.

“I don’t know.  Why are you asking me about her?  Are you interested in her or do you know something that I don’t know?” Kai briefed him in almost a jealous tone.

“I’m feeling something fishy here,” he stated.

“Well you are in Jeju so of course you’re going to feel fishy,” Kai muttered.

“No, meaning something is not right – with those girls,” he restated.

“You mean that they are up to something together.  But aren’t you with Luna – can’t you just keep an eye on her to see what she is up too rather than calling me,” Kai suggested.

“That’s the funny part.  I am but she seems to be slipping away from me,” Kris grumbles.

“I’ll get Luhan on it and maybe he can find something on them and their secret café meetings,” Kai offered.

“Thanks and if he finds anything, tell him to call me,” he instructed.

“Yes.  Got it.  Enjoy Jeju and maybe spend some more time on her so you can learn more from her then snooping around her,” Kai suggested.

“You could do the same with Krystal too.  Don’t you have a personal bodyguard watching her?” He asked.

“Yes.  But not this week.  His sister is in labor so he was released to visit them and since Krystal needed to take care of some family business, I figure it was for the best,” Kai explained.

“Alright.  I’ll keep my eyes on Luna here and you do the same with Krystal.  I just feel that there is more to them than we think,” he re-iterated.

“Got it.  I will see what I can do when she returns too,” Kai told him before disconnecting the call.

 

By noon, he was starving and was going to call Luna to see if she had lunch going but decided not to since he needed to make sure his intuitions were correct.  On his way back to the cottage, he picked up some already made snack and was prepared to spend the rest of the day with her.  Dropping off the food in the kitchen, he headed back outside toward the back and saw her bent down digging into one of the plants.

“Need help?” He asked startling her.

“Yah!” She shouted.

“Sorry.  I thought you heard me,” he smiled.

“What are doing back here?” She asked.

“I said I be back for lunch,” he smiled.

She only frowned.

“What not too happy to see me?” He joked.

Glancing up, she can see the clouds moving in and a storm was brewing so that means tonight – she is stuck since he won’t be heading back to the boathouse for sure.  Just her luck.

“A storm must be coming?” She asked.

“Yes.  I brought lunch on the way home but we might want to get some of the stuff out of the freezer located in the outside storage facility for later tonight,” he suggested.

“Freezer?” She questioned.

“Yes.  The cottage was stocked when the caregivers found out that we were coming so we should have everything we need until the storm passes,” he nodded.

“And you’re cooking right?” She asked.

“As long as you clean,” he nodded.

She only smiled.

“Let me help you clean up here and then we can get cleaned up for lunch,” he suggested.

“Thanks.  You know, you can be really nice when you want to be,” she pointed out.

“I’m always nice.  The only time I’m mean is when I get cheated then you’ll have to face the meaner side of me – which isn’t pretty or at least that’s what I’ve been told,” he agreed.

“That’s the part I never want to see,” she shudders.

“Stay on my good side and you’ll never have to see that side of me,” he suggested.

“I’ll try to,” she murmured back.

 

If he wasn’t mistaken, he could have sworn he seen some guilty conscious hiding behind her beautiful expression.  She was beautiful just like Luna Lim when she felt apologetic for something.  Gosh.  The two really looked alike and the more he is around Luna Park, the more he thinks the two are one of a kind.  But it’s impossible.  One’s a designer and one is a computer geek – how can two be one, right?

 

After lunch, Kris set up the fire thinking the electricity will go out since the windmills were spinning really fast due to a strong storm approaching them – he thought it would be safer than not having anything going for them.  While he was doing that, Luna was cleaning up and gathering all the trash up to deposit into the larger bin outside.

“I’ll be right back, I’m taking the trash out,” she told him.

“Hurry back,” he shouted as soon as the door closed behind her.

Five minutes later, she was still not back yet.  As soon as the fire became stabled, he went out to look for her and didn’t even realize it was already pouring silently.  No thunder………..yet.

“Luna!” He shouted.

No response.

“Luna, where are you?” He shouted once more.

“Over here,” she cried weakly.

Now it was pouring hard and he could barely see her if it wasn’t for her bright yellow sweater.  He ran toward her, she was sitting against the bin holding onto her leg.

“What happened?” He asked with concern.

“Something bit me,” she cried in pain.

“Come on, let’s go inside and I’ll take a look,” he felt bad for her but lifted her onto his arms and carried her in.  He didn’t see anything and for as long as he been here, he’s never been bitten by anything except for mosquitoes.

 

Inside, he laid her onto the carpet in front of the fire and went to the bathroom to grab the first aid kit and some towels. 

“Alright, where did you get bitten?” he asked.

“My lower calf on my left leg,” she mumbled.

Pulling her pants up, he sees the bite and it looks like a snake bite.  Too small to be anything dangerous – or at least he hopes so.  But the skin was turning dark blue – can it be poisonous? 

“How do you feel Luna?” He asked unsure of her status.

“Dizzy.  Cold.  Very weak,” she tried to answer one by one.

“You’ve been bitten by a snake but I don’t know if it’s poisonous or not. Are you allergic to reptiles?”  He asked.

Luna slowly nodded.

“I’m going to out as much as I can, I’m sorry if this offends you Luna,” he told her before bending down and placing his lips over her bitten mark and began .

 

She could only hold in her pain.  She felt the backward sensation of when she was first bitten.  After a moment or so, he finally stopped and began cleaning the area up but she was close to falling asleep – or dying. 

“Luna, don’t fall asleep on me.  We need to wash you up – can you stand on your own?” He asked.

She shook her head.

Without further ado, he carried her into the joint bathroom and began undressing her.  Once undressed, he the faucet to adjust the water temperature before placing her into the tub.  By then her teeth were chattering.

Her skin was soft and delicate.  The tub was designed for two therefore Luna kept on slipping beneath the water and leaving him no choice but to join her.  After taking off his clothes, he got in behind her pulling her against him as he begins to wash her.  She wasn’t fighting him since she was completely out of it but it gave him a chance to study her body.  Starting from her neck, he lightly massages moving down her back toward her chest and abdomen and lower, then lower.  When finished, he lifted her out of the tub and dried her gently off then carrying her to the bedroom.  He didn’t want to intrude onto her personal belonging so running to the room he was using, he pulled on a pair of sweats and grabbed a t-shirt for her. 

Once she was dressed, he lifted the sheets and slid her beneath them and started the fire in the room in case she was still cold.  Now the question – does he sleep her to watch over her or go back to his room and check on her throughout the night.  He took the easier route and climbed into bed with her.  And somehow in her sleep (or loss of conscious) scooted toward his embrace like it was a normal thing for her but he enjoyed it himself as well.

“Luna, can you hear me?” He asks.

No response.

Slowly he drifted off to sleep but only to be awake and when he hears Luna mumbling.

“Luna, what’s wrong?” He asks.

“Closer…..please closer,” she mumbles and scooted closer.  Then he realizes the t-shirt was drenched.  Her temperature must have broken.  It was too dark now to move around and if he’s not mistaken, they lost power in the cottage.  He removed the t-shirt off of her along with his sweat to avoid her catching pneumonia.  He tossed some more wood into the fire and crawled back into bed with her pulling her closer – or as close as he could but the two were literally glued together.  .

“Blanket….blanket….” she mumbles.

He pulled the blanket higher hoping to keep her as warm as he could.  With her eyes still closed, he smiled to himself – if she was aware of what she was doing, he might be thumped or worst yet, kicked where it hurt the most.  Pushing her hair aside, he studies her facial structure and beneath her tough exterior show, she was very vulnerable.   Placing a kiss on her forehead, cheek, and lips – he felt the tingling sensation, a connection he’s been searching for but he thought that was with Luna Lim.  So why does he feel the same with this Luna, in his arm and as someone he feels the need to protect?  Can you love two people at once?

With that last thought on his mind, he slowly drifted back to sleep.

7:00 am – Outside the Cottage

“I don’t know why you insist that I come along with you,” Krystal grumbles.

“Because if you’re done with your personal matters, I need to check on Kris and it’s not appropriate for me to go alone when your friend is also there,” Kai muttered his annoyance.

“Why do we need to check on them?” She questioned his motives.

“As if you didn’t realize, a storm blew by here and for all we know he could be sick since he is not answering my phone calls,” Kai answers.

Krystal rolled her eyes while Kai searches for the secret key.  As soon as he found it, the rest of the crew arrives looking handsome first thing in the morning.  How is that possible, Krystal thought to herself.

“Morning Krystal,” they greeted her in unison.

“Why are all of you here?” She asks.

“Checking on our friend who seems to be ignoring our calls,” Luhan answers.

“Maybe he wants a break,” Krystal shrugs.

“Only one way to find out,” Kai smiled and opened the door the cottage.

The first thing they felt was cold air.  Kai entered first and looked into the room that had the door opened – no one.  He shook his head pointed toward the larger room.  Everyone including Krystal was in shock but only one way to know – Krystal approach the larger room and slowly opened the door.

Krystal tip-toed in followed by the rest and could not believe what they were seeing.  Kris and Luna wrapped in each other’s arm – ?  Krystal rubbed her eyes not believing her eyes – the two did not like each other but are in bed together.  What on earth is going on here?

Kai started to fake a cough.  Suho and Luhan joined in.  Then Kris finally – slowly opens his eyes along with Luna, who was still out of it.  As soon as he saw who was in the room, he mouthed: OUT!  Everyone left the same way they came in and shut the door behind them.

“Luna, how are you feeling?” He asks.

“A little better.  Why are we in bed together…………………………?” She asked after noticing she was fully along with him.

“Don’t get mad…okay.  We lost power and I had no idea where your pajamas were so I gave you one of my shirts and then you were drenched a few hours later,” he started to explain.

“I think I get the picture but what time is it?” She muttered softly.

“A little after 7am,” he told her.

“We need to hurry and get dressed,” she suggested.

“Why?” He asked.

Before she could answer him, someone knocked at the door.

“I said OUT,” he shouted.

But in came his parents along with hers.

Both Luna and Kris were stunned into silence.

“Well, care to explain why the two of you who did not want to get married are in bed together?” Mrs. Wu asked the two.