The Real One

A Double Take

“It’s a woman thing,” Luna shrugged.

“Is it a woman thing or is something you rather keep to yourself?” He asked hitting a mark.

“I don’t know what you mean,” she shrugged again.

“You don’t want me to know or you’re afraid to let me know?” He asked in doubt.

“Why are you so curious about this Luna Lim?  I mean would you be annoyed if I kept on bringing up another guy’s name into our daily conversation – it’s just a woman thing.  We understand each other’s motive – simple as that,” she answers firmly.

 

Kris could only study her expression as if he finds it hard to believe.  She resembled Luna Lim so much or does she have a hidden twin sister that she refuses to talk about.  One way or another, he will get to the bottom of this.

“What now…” she wondered.

“Do you really want to know?” He asked.

She only shrugged.

“I think Luna Lim is someone you already know but refuse to talk about her.  When you’re off guard it seems as if you were her in person.  That’s why I thought she was you in the first place but something tells me I’m close to finding the real you except you refuse to let anyone in,” he started to explain.

Placing her spoon back in her bowl, now that she had lost her appetite – he was extremely close to the truth. She should have been wearier of him because he is very acute and direct when it comes to getting what he wants.  And the more she lies, the more she’ll put herself in danger waters – especially when he finds out the truth.  But for her sake and her friends, she must keep up the pretense.

 

“I’m talking to you – right?  So why are you saying I’m not letting you in?” She asked in return.

“Talking and sharing your opinion does not mean you’re letting me in.  Letting me see the real you is letting me in,” he clarifies.

“Well what you see is what you get,” she tried to smile.

He only frowned.

“Since I’m no longer hungry, I’m going to turn in to my room for a good book and nap away the day,” she stood up the excuse herself.

“Finish eating first,” he ordered.

“I’m not hungry anymore,” she shook her head.

“Whether you’re hungry or not, you never leave the table without clearing your plate – didn’t your parents teach you any manners,” he instructed again.

“Apparently not!” She walked off.

“Luna!” He shouted after her but she continues to wobble toward the room she is currently occupying.

Without further ado, he follows her and managed to get a foot in before she slam the door in his face.  Pushing the door open, she backed off and wobbled to the other side of the bed.

“What now?” She asked as calmly as she could.

“Why are you angry at me?” He asked.

“I’m not.  I just want to be alone,” she answered with no expression.

“If I made you upset, it was not my intention but I’m asking you to tell me what is bothering you.  I know you’re hiding something but I cannot pin it,” he started to say.

“What’s bothering me is that you’re sticking your nose where it’s not welcome,” she muttered.

“Or am I too close to the truth?” He thwarted.

“Believe what you want to believe – it does me no harm,” she shrugged.

“That’s where the problem is.  I know it will do you harm and that’s why you’re touchy on the subject.  But let me tell you what I know Luna.  From what I’ve found, Luna Lim and Luna Park are only a year apart.  One is a fashion designer and the other a computer geek but two of you seemed too worried about the other when mentioned – why is that?” He raised his theory.

“One, you two know each other but refusing to acknowledge one another.  Two, siblings separated at birth.  And three, Luna Lim and Luna Park are one of the same – you,” he points out.

She froze in spot. 

“And from your body expression, I believe I found my answer,” he crossed his arms in front of him. Standing tall and firm – if one didn’t know him, one would assume he was an ice sculpture.

 

“I have a headache.  Please leave me alone,” she was trying to buy some time.

“Why?  So you can call in your back ups,” he raised an eyebrow.

“Look.  I don’t know what you’re talking about.  We were having dinner and then suddenly you’re back to pinning me for something out of the blue,” Luna wanted to throw something at him.

“So what I assumed your friends were earlier today, I was pretty close to target – wasn’t I?” He asked.

“Whatever you’re thinking, you’re out of your mind,” Luna was now close to shouting.

“Hmmm.  Luhan was right about you and your friends, that’s why they are keeping an eye from afar,” he smiled.

She blinked quickly and became alarmed of his last statement.

“What are you talking about?” She stuttered.

“We can’t pin you’re friends for anything quite yet but breaking into an old building that is closed for renovation is illegal,” he pointed out.

“What are you talking about?” She asked again.

“The day you were supposed to be working in the garden, you were out with Victoria and Krystal going through records and files that no longer exist while Sulli and Amber were here doing your work for you,” he replies coolly.

She opened to say something but he cut her off.

“And if you asked one more time – I’ll show you what I’m talking about,” he stated gruffly.

 

Right there and then, she knew she was in trouble.  She needed her friends backup and all she needed to do was get to her phone and press the emergency button.  But how she is going to do that without him noticing, she needs to play this out well.

“Don’t tell me you have camera installed around here?” She asked while wobbling toward the table where her phone laid.

“Not here, no.  But the building you and your friend raided – yes,” he nods.

“Whose building is it?” She asked out of curiosity.

“A friend,” he shrugged.

“Which friend?” She asked.

“Miss Jia’s grandfather owns that building – why do you ask?” He asked in return.

“Miss Jia,” she repeated.

Interesting, she thought.

“Yes.  But I don’t see why that matters.  The building has been merged with our company therefore it’s my building too,” he brought her back to reality.

“So when a company merges, don’t the partners within those companies have some sort of marriage proposal?” She curiously asked him.

“Yes.  But Miss Jia was already engaged to someone at that time therefore I was lucky,” he shrugged.

“You must have been very disappointed,” she was very close to reaching her phone.

“Why would I be disappointed?  I don’t see her anymore then as an acquaintance,” he explains without fidgeting.

“Are you telling me she bided for you out of the kindness of her heart that evening?” She asked.

He smiled knowing that she was a bit bothered by Jia.

“Not that I really care but I just feel bad for the girls you come across,” she quickly explained herself.

 

“If you say so.  But no, she wanted something from me that evening but I refuse to fall to her hands,” he shrugged.

Now Luna was frowning.

“Meaning, she wanted me over her ex-fiancé,” he added.

“She never got married?” Luna questioned.

“From what I’ve heard, the two were close to signing the certificate but he was in love with someone else so the deal was off,” he gave her the brief explanation.

“How long were the two engaged for?” She asked without even realizing.

“A year or longer,” he shrugged.

“So now that she is free, are you still responsible for the marriage proposal?” She asked.

“I don’t know.  Maybe that’s why my parents wanted me to marry to you in case her family wants the merge,” he answers making it sound almost heartless.

 

“Well aren’t you lucky,” she murmured.

“How am I lucky?  The girl I’ve been searching for is nowhere to be found but my instinct tells me she is the one in front of me right now,” he restated and now staring at her giving her the goose bumps.

 

Picking up the phone casually, she made it look like she was checking for any missing calls but really she needed to send out her emergency message.

“If you’re thinking about notifying your friends – too late.  I’ve already deactivate all satellite devices around here therefore neither signal nor any outgoing communication,” he shared with her grimly.

“What!” She shouted.

“As far as your friends are aware, you are healing here for a week – or longer depending on how much you are willing to tell me before I release you back to reality,” he answered.

“You can’t keep me here against my wishes,” she stuttered.

“I can.  And I will.  But you’ll be happy to know that we won’t be staying here for the rest of the week, we will go stay at our countryside house in the hills away from the public,” he smiled.

“Countryside……” she repeated.

“Farm,” was another word for it.

She shook her head.

“It’s just you and me Luna,” he reminded her.

“Your mother is expecting me to finish the garden,” she reminded him.

“No worries. Your outlines are completed.  The team hired to extract the garden will be able to follow your instructions,” he clapped.

“Have you ever heard of kidnapping?” She asked him.

“You came here on your own will,” he pointed out.

“And I expect to remain here on my own will,” she tried to make her point.

“Well with the team going in and out, you’ll be much more comfortable at the bigger house,” he suggested.

“Then I shall return to Seoul,” she looked away.

“Not until we’re done,” he told her gruffly.

 

“As far as I’m concerned, we’re done Kris.  We’ve been unlinked from the beginning,” she flat out lost her patience.

“True.  We’ve been unlinked from the beginning Luna but as Luna Lim, we still have a lot of unfinished business,” he reminded her.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she shook her head.

“So we’re back to that again,” he smirked.

“I don’t know what kind of games you are playing but I’m done here, please leave me alone,” she fought for some courage.

“Pack your bag and we’re leaving.  And let me warn you Luna, I’ll take you whether you’re willing to go or not.  We’re going to finish this once and for all,” he stated before leaving her alone.

 

Thinking to herself.  What should she do now?  He was too close to the truth now.  What can she do to throw him off her track?  He obviously has been suspicious of her from the beginning therefore how is he different from her.  He’s been putting up a façade as well.  He can’t know. No one knows about them nor should anyone ever find out. If they do, they would be losing their reputation – then they would be worthless.

 

First thing first, she needed to escape from him.  The bike was her only option at this point.  Opening the door slightly, she sees him in his room packing up his belonging.  She quickly stuffs her laptop and important items in her book bag and left the others behind.  She quickly stepped into her flat sneakers and opened the window as quietly as she could and climbed out heading toward the bicycle. 

 

Before she could leave the property, some shadowy figure stepped out in front of her frightening her to death.  She almost screamed.

“Hyung, she is out here,” someone said.

From behind her, Kris opened the door and casually tossed his bag into the trunk of the car.

“I should have told you – you can’t escape either since you’re being watched 24/7,” he grabbed her bag and tossed her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

“Put me down,” she shouted.

“I’ll be out for a while, if anyone looks for us, steer them away,” he told the younger ones.

“Don’t worry.  We’ll find out soon enough.  Kai already called back Krystal for some emergency meeting so he will have her under his roof,” Xiumin stated.

“Krystal?” Luna repeated.

 

Kris placed her in the passenger seat and buckled her in.

“Don’t test me anymore Luna. My patience can only last for so long so sit tight until we get there,” he warned her.

“And you think I like following orders,” she reminded him of her independence.

“Tough!  You’re stuck with me until you’re willing to come clean,” he stated.

“Hmph!  If you really want to know……….Luna Lim doesn’t care for you either so why bother,” she told him off snobbishly.

Kris gave her a hard cold stare.  She felt the ice prickle against her skin like she was placed in a frozen ice box.  He didn’t say anything after.  He shut the door hard and walked around the car to get into the driver seat.  His friends gave her a sympathetic look as if it was her last day on earth as the two drove off.

“Umm..” she started to say something.

“Just save it Luna.  You’re going to need your energy later,” he silenced her.