The Assignment

A Double Take

“I dare you to say that again,” he challenges her.

Luna was just about to repeat herself with much more demeanor but his cold expression meant something much worse to follow if she was to say it again – even when she didn’t really mean it but she can’t marry him.  Why?  She doesn’t want to put him through her ordeal.

Flashback.

“I’m so glad you joined us.  I hope you’ll find your place here and if you need any help, just let me know,” Vic greeted her.

“Thank you.  I’m nervous but happy to join the real world at such a young age,” she smiled happily.

“I know what you mean. I’ve been doing this for a long time too and love it,” she agreed.

“So from what I understood, we work in teams – so which team am I on?” She asked.

“In this organization, we have over 50 teams and 500 employees who work undercover all over the world but we only have five on a team,” Vic explains.

“I see, am I on your team?” Luna hoped.

Vic nodded happily.

“Yes, you’re with Amber, Sulli, Krystal – the new girl, and me,” she confirmed.

 

First day on the job are usually a breeze unless you have to flip through tons of paperwork – in this case, all the work were already done and they only need to learn from the expert upon entering the building.  But one thing for sure, she would never forget what happened on her first day…………….

Team Leader Choi was scolding a team mate beneath them in the lobby, who was surrounded by guards and authorities – from the CIA. 

“What’s going on?” Luna asked from above.

“Juyeon has been working undercover for a firm but got involve with one of the partners.  She was warned to not fall for any of the party members involved in the case.  Well to my knowledge, her feelings got to the best of her – the person she fell in love with was killed on the spot.  Not only did she not complete her assignment, she got someone killed by accident – now she has to pay the price,” Vic explains.

“We can’t fall in love….?” She asks.

“We’re unable to fall in love even if we want to.  We must remain cold and focus to complete our assignments.  The day you no longer work for the organization is when you can settle down and live a normal life but until then, you must not otherwise who you choose to love – they may fall into the same path as Juyeon’s lover,” Vic shook her head.

“Then why didn’t she leave before it was too late?” Luna asks with much curiosity.

“She didn’t complete her assignment.  You cannot ever leave an assignment incomplete – otherwise you’ll never be able to leave the organization as a whole person, remember that Luna – it’s either you or them,” Vic’s last words of advice before she started her first assignment as a member of the UA– Undercover Agent.

Later on, her team moved up and worked directly as CIA correspondence for not only South Korea, but China, Japan, and France.  Since then, she’s been working non-stop and loving every minute of it even if most of their assignments were dangerous at times.  But luckily for her, she met another colleague in the same organization who did the same thing as her.  The two traded often but no more than a day or two at the most – until their last switch took her out for a good portion of the time by accident leaving her to play dual identities until she could recover to come back.  It wasn’t the first time others in the group had to pull off dual identities however her was a legit dual role.

She didn’t regret her choice of career until she met Kris by accident.

 

“I can prove to you that you’re lying,” he added.

Taking a deep breath to prepare herself for what to come next.

“I don’t love you nor can I love you – ever,” she re-stated.

Kris only shook his head not believe a word she said.  He already knew she was bluffing but why was she putting up the cold front as if she meant it.

“I need to leave and please tell our parents we cannot pursue this marriage ordeal,” she tried to reason with him.

“It’s too late Luna.  The hall is probably being booked and the announcement is going out before we even leave this house,” he informed her curtly.

“Then stop it,” she was adamant.

“I can’t and I won’t Luna.  Whether you want to believe it or not – you will be marrying me,” he stated firmly.

“You cannot make someone marry you if they refuse to do it,” she reminded him.

“You are not someone Luna and neither am I – do I have to remind you?” He retorted.

 

Pushing herself away from him, she scrambled to gather her belongings together so she can leave him before it’s too late.  She can’t do this to him.  It wouldn’t be fair to him.

“You can run Luna but you can’t hide – especially from me,” his last words to her before he entered the bathroom.

Luna manages to leave the Wu’s family home without running into anyone.  As soon as she got into the car, she called Vic hoping for a resolution. Vic called a meeting at the base, a place where they work from without being seen or disturbed.

Safe House.

“Let me get this straight, your parents along with his wants the two of you to tie the knot ASAP?” Amber asked trying to get to the point.

Luna nods.

“And Kris didn’t object?” Sulli asks.

“We need to do something about this and very soon,” Vic couldn’t believe the situation either.

“I agree!  I cannot marry Kai,” Krystal shouted as she made her entry.

“What…marry who…Kai?” Sulli stuttered.

“Not you too……..”Amber groaned.

“Aish…...how could I be so stupid?” Krystal continues throw a tantrum.

“How did this come about again?” Luna asked in confusion.

“The stupid contract,” she grumbles.

“You signed a contract without reading it thoroughly?” Vic asked in confusion.

Krystal nodded slowly.

“Is it a breakable contract?” Amber wondered.

“Nope.  That’s what I went to see him about last night but I never made it out of the house,” she moaned in frustration.

“Do we want to know what happened?” Vic was afraid to ask.

“I was drugged and passed out.  Then I woke up and found myself in bed with him.  The worst part, our parents walked in on us,” she wailed.

The four of them sat their stumped.  Out of the five, Krystal was usually the faster one to catch on but somehow was not focus enough to bypass Kai’s underhand move.

“Did your parents agree to this matter?” Luna asks.

Krystal nodded.

“I’m with you too.  My parents are on board now too so I don’t know what else to do,” Luna sighs.

 

“Our parents are unaware of what we do for a living.  All they know is that we do IT computer analyst with the authorities, etc – if they ever find out, they would probably lock us up for good,” Vic started her preaching memoir.

“Here she goes again….” Amber could only moan.

“Now, we must put our minds together and think of a way to get these two out of this mess since we’re currently involve in a dangerous assignment that can lure the ones we’re trying to capture to them by accident – think team, think,” Vic charges forward as the team leader.

“And what do you suggest we do?” Sulli asks.

Vic slouches.  “I dunno either,” she pouted.

 

Pool House.

“Let me get this straight – the two of you are going to marry Luna and Krystal but they are refusing to do so?” Suho tries to clarify.

“That sums it up,” Kai agrees.

The ten of them burst out laughing hysterically.

“Yeah…real funny,” Kris grumbles.

“Sorry bro but I find it hard for those two not wanting to marry you two out of the rest of us,” Tao laughed harder.

“So what are you two going to do about it?” Lay asks.

“We’re sticking to the announcement as planned – it will go out by tomorrow,” Kai answers.

“Two grooms with two not so wanna be bride, this should be interesting,” Chanyeol jokes.

“Luhan, what did you find so far?” Kris asked out of the blue.

 

It took a second for him to recompose himself in order the share the information he was able to retrieve after searching for hours and days.

“Not much sadly.  What we knew back then is still what we know now however there is something odd about Luna and Krystal,” he started to explain.

“Odd?” Both Kai and Kris repeated.

“Not just the two of them but also Sulli, Amber and Vic – the five of them seem to come from similar backgrounds.  They all graduated young and started off early in their IT careers but I’m suspicious on how they all came together as a group,” he continues on.

“What do you mean?” Kris asks with much confusion.

“According to their hiring history – the five were not hired from within the same firm if you dig deeper,” Luhan answers.

“So they from different firms but work together – maybe a partnership?” Kai wonders.

“One would think that at a first glance however after digging and digging – that was not the case,” Luhan adds.

“Can you get to the point – I don’t like this long drawn out story you have going on here,” Tao whined.

 

Luhan only chuckles.

“That’s my point – there are no points here, nothing makes sense nor do they come together as one,” Luhan stated.

“So we have nothing,” Suho guessed.

Luhan only nodded.

Kris cell phone was ringing at an odd time of the day.

“Hello?” He answers.

“Kris Wu?” The caller asks.

“Yes, how may I help you?” He asks politely.  The other eleven were listening in on the call as he places it on speaker.

“Officer Hang here sir, Miss Jia is being released today.  The bail bond she was being held on was paid in full.  I thought I should just inform you. However she still wears the tracing device since she cannot leave the country,” he announced.

“What!” Kris almost shouted.

“As to who was the savior, we only know he goes by the name Mr. Tye Hua from Hong Kong – we have no other evidence  to back us up to hold her any longer once the bail was paid in full,” he continues to say.

“Damn!” He cursed.

“We’ll keep an eye on her to make sure nothing suspicious is going on but I thought I alert you sir,” he stated.

“Thanks,” he sighs.

“Not good,” Kai shook his head once the call was disconnected.

“I thought she was locked up for good?” Suho asks.

“Apparently not good enough,” Baekhyun whistles.
 

Kris tried to call Luna but her phone was off.

“Let’s head over to the café to see if they are there – I need to warn Luna,” Kris suggested.

The others nodded and followed him out.

 

Bistro Café

“Looks like they are not here today,” Xiumin prowls as he scans the area.

“Where can they be then?” Kai became frustrated with the whole situation.

 

“Well well who do we have here?” Someone gasp from the entry door.

They all turned and found themselves facing off Miss Jia with her bodyguards.

“What are you doing here?” Luhan asks.

“Probably the same reason why you are here – looking for the ones responsible for my current image,” she spited virally.

“You only have yourself to blame,” Luhan corrected her.

“If only that were the case but I know better – those girls are working together to take me down.  I just want to know who their leader is,” she stated sarcastically.

 

“What are you talking about?” Lay asks.

“They were given the order to take me out and I want to know who.  You boys on the other hand were just bunch of haystacks that I happen to pass by but because of your faith in them, I got cut from my primary post, now it’s payback time,” she smirks.

“They are just IT specialists that can hack into systems – so I don’t know why you want to hurt them that way,” Chanyeol corrected her.

“Specialist my . But then again….”she cuts off without further explaining.

“What?” Kris asks annoyingly.

“What you don’t know is probably better for your sake,” she finishes off.

The twelve of them looked confused.  Miss Jia took once glance around and left the café while the others stood there and watch her leave in a tinted limo.  Her last statement definitely didn’t sit well with Kris but he had to ask Luna about that for sure.

 

Safe House.

“So Miss Jia was released today – no surprise there,” Sulli shook her head.

“Well when your savior is Tye Hua – you can’t sit in one place for long apparently,” Amber was disgusted.

“I wonder how she became so evil and spiteful.” Krystal asks.

Vic shook her head – she didn’t know either.  Some secrets are best left to remain in the dark too.  But they have enough on their hands to worry about right now.

“So once those announcements goes out, you two will need to be on your guard and watch out for them otherwise they may end up in harms way,” Vic reminded them again.

“Leave Team Leader Choi to us, we’ll tell him the gist of the problem and maybe he can come up with a solution for us.  But for the time being lay low key and we’ll figure this out,” Amber instructed.

Luna and Krystal could only nod.

“We can do this.  We’ll finish this off cleanly and then maybe we can all rethink our path to see if we want to stay on or go our own ways – it is time for us to settle down, well at least for me,” Vic tried to cheer them on.

Amber nodded.

Krystal sighed.

Luna slumped.

Sulli shrugged.

“Let’s move out and be weary of your surrounding now that Miss Jia is out and looking for trouble,” Amber warned them.

“And whatever happens, you cannot reveal your true identity,” Vic stated firmly.

“Even if our life is on the line,” Luna promises.  Krystal nods.

 

VicAmb Spa.

As soon as the guys decided to head over there to see if Vic or Amber were in, the whole place was surrounded by police officers, firefighters, and paramedics.  The building was on fire.

“Not good,” Tao grumbles.

From the side of the street Vic and Amber were talking to the chief and Sulli was being treated by a paramedic while Luna and Krystal were nowhere in sight.  Chanyeol wanders over to where Sulli sits while her cuts were being band aid up.

“Are you okay?” He gently asks her.

Sulli only nodded.

Suho wanders over to join him and slowly the twelve of them were standing in front of her.  The paramedic moved away once his job was completed.  Vic and Amber notice the seen from afar and quickly finishes their statement before heading over to where Sulli was sitting.

“What happened?” Kris asks.

But before Sulli could say anything, both Vic and Amber arrived.

“Are you in a lot of pain Sul?” Amber asks.

“I’ll be fine sis,” she offers a weak smile.

“What happened here?” Luhan asks in place of Kris.

“We had a medial fire in the building,” was all Vic said.

Kai looked at the building and didn’t believe her.  Neither did Kris or the rest of the boys.

 

“Where are the other two?” Suho asked out of the blue.

“Not here as you can see,” Amber curtly answers him back.

“What happened here Victoria?” Someone shouted from the back.

Everyone turned their attention to an older man in a suit who look dumbfounded with the whole situation.  All three of them froze in place and by the look of it – this was not good news.

“Who are you?” Kris asks the man.

“Who am I is none of your business – now leave,” he brushes them off.