The Trip

A Double Take

Jeju.

Her small getaway finally came but now she has to share it with him, the same she’s been trying to avoid.  This was supposed to be her alibi while she goes back to playing Luna Lim.  So for now, Luna Lim will just need to be on hold – until further notice.  The plane ride was quiet.  He kept himself busy while she worked on her own projects.  After their brief lunch, he left immediately after his mother – not sure why he was so annoyed with her.  It’s not like she invited him along for the ride.  He could have just let one of his friends tagged in his place if he wanted to keep the distance between the two of them. 

At least he was a gentleman and helped carry her luggage into the cottage the two were supposed to stay together since the boathouse was currently non-livable otherwise he would be staying there, which would have been a good five mile distance.  Just her luck – as usual.

“You can have the larger room, I’ll take the smaller one,” he offered.

“No need.  This is your place, I’ll take the smaller one,” she declined.

“The larger one has a fire place and you can be warmer with it on around this season,” he explained gently.

“I’ll be fine in the smaller room and plus I like the cold,” she shrugged and carried her bag into the smaller one not realizing he followed her in as well.

The room was really small.  The bed was only a twin bed.  Just the right size for her.  But it is a bit chilly like he had mentioned.  Hmm maybe she can lit the fire in the sitting room and keep her door open. 

“I told you it was small,” he said from behind her.

“I’ll be fine,” she reiterated again.

“Whether you’ll be fine or not, if my mother finds out, she will be fuming mad at me,” he sarcastically stated.

“Well we better not tell her then,” she bitterly smiled back.

“Either you take the larger room as I’ve suggested or are you asking me to join you as well in the larger room?” He challenged.

Without saying a word, she grabbed her bag and literally ran to the larger room, which was very nice and comfortable.  So if he doesn’t want this room she’ll have to take him on the offer – for him.

Tidying up, she left the cottage to explore the garden in the back and it was no small garden, it was huge.  Like a mini park if you really needed a comparison.  But it was gorgeous and so relaxing.  Taking a walk, she took a deep breath and began to envision the changes in her mind so she can sketch it out when she returns to the cottage.  She was standing there in solemn peace and did not even realize Kris coming up behind her.

“Don’t want to scare you but I’m behind you,” he said.

Luna didn’t jump since she felt his footsteps as he approached her.  Turning around to face him, without her heels, she was a good foot shorter than him.

“I’m heading to oversee the boathouse.  The fridge is stock and I’ll be back pretty late so don’t wait up for me,” he told her before she could ask how late.

As soon as he was gone, she went back into the cottage and scopes the area, made notes and pulled out her laptop to make connection to Victoria and Krystal, who were probably wondering if she is still alive.  Just as she thought, the two were already on line waiting for her.  Logging on.

“Took you long enough unnie,” Krystal whined.

“Everything okay?” Victoria asked.

“So far so good,” she replies.

“Where is the master?” Krystal jokes.

“He went to the boathouse and will not be back until late tonight,” she shrugs.

“So that should give you enough time to do what you need to do.  Sulli and Amber will be there to pretend something is being done to the garden so it would make it seem like you got right to work,” Victoria got to work.

“How far is the safe house from here?” She asked.

“Fifteen by car and probably an hour by foot, depending whether you run or power walk,” the leader answers.

“Alright, see you fifteen,” she logged off.

Since Kris took the car, she took the bike that was available and rode off in the direction she needed to go.  As soon as she arrived at the building she needed to break in, she received a text from Amber – “We’re gonna make a mess here.”  She better not, she thought to herself.  She was in no mood to clean at all.

After sneaking into the closed off building, she begin searching one room by one to allocate the information she needed.  Vic was scoping from the top and Krystal was in the basement, while she covered the mid level floors. 

Three hours later.

Krystal’s MSG:  Basement looks like a storage room but no boxes of information visible.

Vic’s MSG:  Keep digging.  Luna, anything on your floors?

Luna’s MSG: Nada.  But will keep digging.

Another two hours went by.

Amber’ s MSG:  Crap.  Get your back here ASAP.  He came back early.  We’re out of here. 

Luna’s MSG:  I’m out of here.  He came back early.

Krystal and Vic’s MSG:  Okay.

Hopping back onto the bike, she peddles back knowing it will take her a good 30-minutes to reach the cottage, the sun was already dimming low.  The bike does not have a flash light so she will have to peddle as fast as she can otherwise anyone could run her off the road.  Also, she really needs to think of an excuse before she reaches the cottage too.

Cottage.

“Where on earth did she disappear to?” He wondered and continues to look around for her.

After roaming through the garden shouting her name, skimming through the rows of trees, she was nowhere to be found.  Did she go somewhere?  But where?  And why is he worry…?

As he headed toward the cottage, he sees her picking up all the equipment laid out by the plants she must have been working on.

“Luna, where did you go?” He asked.

“I took the bike to the garden house to find some extra organic soil to add to these plants but it was already close,” she replies.

“You should have called me and I would have taken you there but yes, here on the island, lots of places close early,” he told her.

“Ah, that explains it, well I better clean this up.  Wait, why are you back so early?” She asked out of curiosity.

“The crew got done early and my date cancelled on me – so here I am,” he smiled.

Luna only crunched her not so happy expression.

“I’ll even help you clean and then I’ll make dinner,” he offered.

“No need to bother with this and I’m sure you can find another replacement – oh if I’m crunching your style, let me know, I can always go stay at a nearby hotel,” she told him while picking up all the equipments Amber and Sulli left out.

“You’re not crunching my style and no one stays here without my parent’s invitation either,” he added.

“I’ll clean up here and you go wash up first then I will after you since the hot water is low here,” he then offered.

“Okay.  Only if you’re sure,” she confirmed.

He waved her off while she headed toward the cottage thinking that it was a close call but luckily he didn’t catch on.  Breathing a sigh of relief, she grabbed her spare of clothing to change and entered the bathroom to wash up.  Twenty minutes later, dressed and feeling fresh, entered the sitting room where he was waiting patiently for her to come out.

“I’m going to hop in and I have the noodles boiling.  Can you turn it off in ten minutes?” He asked.

She only nodded.

He was serious about cooking for her.  Wow.  That’s a shocker for her.   As soon as he hit the shower, he started to sing, she was amazed.  Him singing in the shower.  Something she never expected either – at least from him.

Ten minutes went by, she turned off the heat and shifted the boiling noodles to a cooler place and he came out of the bathroom looking handsome.  Very handsome. She was caught biting the bottom of her lips from nervousness.

“I won’t hurt you,” he chuckles.

“I didn’t say anything,” she mumbles.

“You didn’t have to kid, I can read you easily,” he smiles.

“Scary,” she shivers.

“I know,” he agreed.

“The noodles are done,” she told him.

“Thanks, I’ll add the herbs and we’ll have dinner soon.  Want to set up the table?” He asked.

Luna nodded and followed his instructions.

She didn’t even notice that he had the fire going already.  Thank goodness for his thoughtfulness since it does really cool down in the evening here.   And now he’s making dinner too.

Dinner was served.

While eating the noodle soup he made out of the blue, she was trying to figure him out like how he even found the time to do something so normal when his background is complicated.  She herself can make simple basic dishes but out of scratch – no way.  Not that she would share it with him.

“What’s going on in that little head of yours?” He asked.

“Nothing.  Just savoring the broth,” she answers.

“You can tell me you know.  It’s not like I would tell anyone,” he added.

“How did you pick up cooking?” She asked.

“It was a hobby of mine and plus we have to eat to survive so why not learn how to cook for ourselves,” he shrugged.

“Don’t you have maids and butlers?” She asked.

“At the main house, yes my parents do but at my condo, no – I like space and privacy,” he answers.

“Interesting.” Her comment said it all to him.

“What so interesting about me being able to fend for myself?  I work hard to play hard.  So why can’t I cook or clean for myself too?” He asked.

“I just don’t see that in you,” she smiled.

“Stick around long enough, you might be surprised in what else I can do,” he lifted his cup the cheer so she had no choice but clink her cup with his.

“”How is the boat house coming along?” She asks.

“The roof was tore down today but we have some bad weather moving in so I guess we’ll wait to see if we can do anymore tomorrow,” he replies.

“And if it’s bad, I don’t want you in the garden or strolling around.  The weather can get pretty rough here around this season,” he added.

“I thank you for your concern but I can take care of myself,” she finished the conversation by taking her plate and cup toward the sink.

“I’m not kidding Luna.  I don’t want my mother lashing out at me for not taking care of you either,” he reminded her.

“Well if you’re that worry, if anything happens – I’ll make sure to take all the blame,” she insisted.

“I don’t care what kind of punishment they send my way but to have you hurt while you’re under my watch is unacceptable,” he re-iterated again.

“Well if you’re done, I’ll clean up,” she offered since he cooked.

“Alright.  I’ll retire to my room and see you in the morning,” he gave her –YOU BETTER TAKE MY ADVICE- look.

“Have a goodnight,” she waved him off. 

As soon as the dishes were cleared, dimmed the fire low and entered her room shutting the door behind her and unfortunately for the rooms in this cottage – no lock.  Turning on her laptop, she  logged on to see what the other girls were up to since she left so quickly she didn’t even know if what they were searching for was found yet.

“Unnie, did you find anything?” Luna asked Vic.

“We just got back and no, no luck there,” she replies.

“But it has to be there right?” She asked.

“At least that is what our information is leaning toward, the question is where is there,” Vic replies.

“Did you already have dinner?’ She asked.

“Yes.  You?  Did you get caught by him?” Vic asked.

“Yes, Kris made dinner and no, I didn’t get caught,” she replied.

“He made dinner.  Man is he softening up on you or what?” Vic asked.

“Oh please unnie.  It’s nothing like that.  He is just being a gentleman considering his mother had put him up to this,” she replies.

“Are you sure?”  Vic asked.

“Yes.  I’m very sure,” Luna replies.

“Will you be able to sneak out tonight?” Vic asks.

“Yeah.  I did a thorough walked around and should be able to meet you girls at the dock,” Luna replies.

“Not on your bike you are not, we will come pick you up and if you do get caught by him, turn on the lights and we’ll be on our way,” Vic suggested.

“Only if you insist,” Luna sighs.

“Be ready to move out at 2:00am,” she instructed.

Shutting her laptop off, she dimmed her lights low and changed into more appropriate clothes.  All black.  It’s 10pm now so she had several hours to study the concrete map of the area.

6:00am

After long hours of searching, they got nothing.  The girls dropped her off before heading to their hotel.  The sun was just rising and she quietly snuck in the same way she left early that morning – thru her window.  Except she was not expecting him to be waiting for her already……………….

“Explain to me why you are sneaking thru your bedroom window instead of using the front door?” He asked.  Looking awake and showered, a joke would probably not be appropriate at this time.

“Look…” She started to say.

“And where the hell were you all night long?” He shouted.

“How did you….” she started to ask.

“Do not play games with me Luna.  Tell me exactly where have you been all night long and I want nothing but the truth,” he literally wanted to throttle her for making him worried.  He was so tempted to grabbing her close and shaking the truth out of her beautiful lips. 

So tempted.