The Charade

A Double Take

“This is really weird but if you’ll give me a moment, I need to call the Luna I know currently,” Kris apologized.  “And if you don’t mind, I rather keep an eye on you to make sure I’m seeing double,” he added.

She only nodded but looked confused.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

“Hello,” her voice answered sounding exhausted.

“Luna, did you make it there safely?” He asked.

“Yes.  But I’m in the middle of a briefing and it could take some time.  Did you need something?” She asked politely.

“No.  I just wanted to hear your voice,” he said softly.

“Okay,” she sounded confused.

“I won’t bother you.  But remember to call me when you get here,” he reminded her again.

“I know,” she grumbled causing him to smile.

 

After disconnecting the call, he looked at the Luna in front of him.  Interesting. He could have sworn that the Luna he met three years ago were one of the same now.  But it may not be the case.

“Where are you staying at?” He asked.

“Busan International Hotel,” she smiled.

“Oh.  We’re staying there too,” Krystal was alarmed.

“What a small world!” Kai exclaimed.

“Indeed,” Suho agreed.

“If you like a lift, you’re more than welcome to join us on the shuttle,” Kris suggested.

“If it’s not trouble otherwise I can always take a taxi too,” she suggested.

“No.  Please come with us. I’m the only girl and it’s kind of awkward,” Krystal pulled her along.

“If you’re sure,” Luna complies.

 

“Weird.  You never made a mistake before bro,” Kai inserted.
“So there are two Luna’s?” Tao asked in confusion.

“I’m on it.  I’ll look into their background now that I have both of their last names,” Luhan stated.

Kris only nodded.  The group made their way onto the shuttle with the two girls in the front chatting away, the other guys sat in the back and only observed.

“So where were you flying in from?” Krystal asked.

“I flew in from Paris,” she answered gently.

“Oh.  What do you do in there?” Krystal asked brightly.

“I’m studying to be a designer,” she announced happily.

“Oh fun.  How cool is that,” she sighed happily.

“What do you do?” Luna asked her.

“I worked under that guy back there who I first introduced you to, Kai.  I type of memos and finalize reports for him – like a secretary,” Krystal groaned.

Luna could only chuckle.

“But you have a better career than me,” Krystal stated happily.  “How long does it take to be a fashion designer?” she asked.

But before Luna could answer, Kai interrupts from the back.  “Aren’t you supposed to focus on being a scientist?” He asked.

“Hmph.  Maybe I should change my career,” she thought out loud and the other guys chuckled understanding where she was coming from.

 

Busan International Hotel.

The boys checked into their room.  Krystal was staying with Kai unfortunately.  Luna offered to share her room since she is alone but Kai intercepted the suggestion by pulling Krystal away.

“Hmm.  He must like her a lot to want to keep her by his side 24/7,” Luna murmured.

“I don’t know about that but he protects those who work under him,” Kris inserted.

“So what brings you here?” She asked him.

“Charity work,” he answers shortly.  “And you?” He asked.

“Fashion Show week,” she smiled.

“Can you do dinner tonight?” He asked.

“Don’t you already have a girlfriend?” She asked.

“No, I don’t have a girlfriend.  She’s a good friend of mine,” he clarified.

“Well, I may not be able to do dinner tonight since I need to prep for tomorrow  but I’ll catch you around since I’ll be here all week long,” she turned him down.

“Very well, have a good day,” he bid her farewell and headed toward the elevator more confused than ever.

 

Shortly after that, Luna headed up to her room as well.  Once she was in the solace of her space, she wanted to hit something.  Friend.  Are you kidding?  So he’s a player.  Well – in that case this was a good charade to pull off and dump him for good.  Then her phone rang again.  Kris.

Taking a deep breath.

“Yes?” She answered.

“Why are you mad?” He asked.

“I’m not.  I’m just having a rough time. Did you need something?” She asked annoyingly.

“What?  I can’t call to check up on you, my dear fiancé,” he chuckles.

Fiancé?  Oh he didn’t just say that.

“I’m not your fiancé!” She shouted.

“Well you may not be for long if you keep throwing that tantrum off and on,” he laughed.

“Hmm.  Maybe I should just so you could call off this charade,” she smiled.

“You might not even have to go that far.  I think I found the missing Luna,” he finally told her.

“Huh?” She sounded shock.

“Luna Lim,” he said.

“Who is that?” She asked.

“The same girl who looks like you except prettier,” he stated cautiously.

“Well anyone is prettier than me, duh,” she choked.  That stung.

“If you say so.  But I have a whole week to reconnect so I won’t be bothering you too much so feel at ease,” he shrugged.

Luna bit the bottom of her lips.  So he was dumping her…?

“Are you mad now?” He asked softly.

“Why should I be?  It’s what I wanted, wasn’t it?” She reminded him.

“If she turns out to be the Luna I’ve been looking for after all these times, then you’re off the hook – so you should be happy to know I’m going to get to know her better,” he informed her.

“And why are you telling me this?” She asked.

“Well you’re my fiancé currently so I need to inform you of my whereabouts and don’t want you thinking I’m cheating on you,” he reminded her.

“Did you tell her about me?” She asked.

“Sort of but not in detail.  Maybe when I know enough about her then I will,” he answers gently.

“If that is all you have to say, I’m going to get back to work,” Luna interrupted his train of thoughts.

“Of course. I’ll see you when you come down,” he bid farewell.

 

After disconnecting from him, she wanted to curl up and cry but knowing that it was her own fault for putting herself in her shoes by deceiving him.  Now that she started this up again, she needs to stay on top in order for him not to know who the real Luna is.

A text came through: UNNIE.  Be careful.  Like I predicted, Luhan is researching your background.

They can search all they want but everything they will find is legit and accurate as it can be because in order for her to do her job, she needed to create two identity.  Currently, she was the only one activated as a double.  In the past, the five of them use to take on dual identity to complete their assignments however Krystal is currently under a false pretense, she is still only holding one identity at the moment.  And if Kai ever finds out who she is – good luck at getting away from him.  From what she gathered, Kai has the worst temper but when he is gentle, he is also the most caring one too. 

 

The next morning, in the dining room, the twelve of them were seated in a closed off area for breakfast.  Luna entered pretending she did not see them but knows that Krystal will come and fetch her.  Shortly after grabbing what she wanted for breakfast, Krystal asked her joined them.  She refused at first but Kris gave her a welcoming smile.  A smile she couldn’t refuse especially if she wanted him to fall hard.  She conceded and joined the group.

Breakfast went smoothly. The conversations were light and entertaining.  After everyone left to shop or take some air, Kris invited her for a walk in the garden.  She obliged.  She didn’t want to play hard to get.  The Luna from three years ago was very bright and charming – that’s why he fell for her in the first place.  Although it wasn’t her purpose to let that happened – it just did.

 

“So have you been in Paris all these years?” He asked.

“There and here but mainly in Paris,” she nodded.

“So are you planning to return to Paris after this week is over?” He asked.

She only nodded.

“What’s in Paris for you?” He continues on with a series of questions.

“Boyfriend?”

“Family?”

She smiled at his interest. 

“No boyfriend.  But I do have family back there,” she answers.

“I see.” He sighs.

“What’s with the long sigh?” She asked.

“Have you ever thought about staying here permanently?” He asked.

“Oh no.  I love it too much in Paris.  It’s nice to visit but I much prefer to live over there,” she shook her head.

“What if you were to find the love of your life here – would you stay then?” He asked.

Luna thought about it for a moment.  Then she shook her head.

“Really?” He was alarmed.

“Would you ever leave Seoul?” She asked in return.

He thought about it and then shook his head too.

“See what I mean.  Sometimes you’re so stuck in one place that you rather stay put but still visit other areas by choice – that’s the nice part about taking vacation,” she gently told him letting him  know that she understands him too.

“So if you were to fall in love with someone who is at home here, would you be willing to sacrifice a part of your life here and there to make it work?” He asked.

“I would have to think about it and the person has to mean a lot to me too – vice versa,” she slowly nodded.

“You know the first time I met you, I felt the attraction right off the bat but then you disappeared,” he started to say.

“I didn’t disappear but I returned home after that evening for a family emergency and didn’t think we would meet again,” she answered yet not meeting his eyes.

“I’m not upset or anything. I just thought it was strange you disappeared with no trace. But I’m glad we got to meet again,” he smiled.

Luna felt a sigh of relief.

“So who is this other Luna girl that you called yesterday?” She asked.

“My supposed fiancé,” he sighs.

“So you don’t want to marry her?” She questioned him.

“Not that I don’t.  Remember I told you, as the only son, I’m expected to run the empire after my father retires – however he has plans for me too,” he started to explain.

“Oh.  That’s right.  So let me guess you’re parents picked her out for you?” She asked.

“Yeah you can say that however it was I who agreed at the end since I thought she was you but just pretending not to be you,” he explains.  “But now I know she is not you, I won’t have to marry her anymore,” he stated happily.

“She can’t be that bad,” Luna chuckles nervously.

“Well for one, she dyes her hair blond and not that she looks bad but I prefer your hair color.  It suits you perfectly.  But not only her hair but her outgoing personality and attitude just make her tougher for her size.  I prefer softer and calmer women,” he continues to say.

“So do you love her?” She asked.

He shook his head immediately.

“Do you even like her?” She continues to ask.

“Not that I don’t like her.  I just rather take her on as a fiancé knowing that it would make my parents happy and get them off my back.  And maybe go our separate way – I’m sure she’ll appreciate it later on,” Kris casually answers her.

“Are you saying it wouldn’t hurt you if you broke her heart?” She clarified.

“It would hurt me but I would explain it thoroughly before we go into this but maybe we won’t have to anymore,” he corrected himself.

“I didn’t take you for a player,” she smirked softly.

“I’m not, trust me I’m not.  I just know what I want and when I want it,” he defended himself.

She only smiled.

“Any other plans for today?” He asked out of the blue.

“I have to meet with some clients and then I have a dinner appointment with my stylist – then I’m off the bed early for tomorrow again,” she memorized her schedule.

“Will you join me for a meal tomorrow then?” He asked.

“Dinner?” She thought.

“Dinner sounds good to me too,” he nodded.

“I’ll meet you in the lobby,” she suggested.

“Sounds good to me.  I’ll see you then,” he nodded and bid her farewell as she left him.

 

Once she is in the sanctuary of her room, she took a deep breath to calm her nerves.  Thinking to herself – she already knows she will need to turn back into Luna Park by Wednesday.  But then she has play dual roles for the rest of the week – can she keep her mind straight.

 

Her cell phone begins ringing – it was Vic calling.

“Yes unnie,” she answers.

“FYI.  Luhan, as expected is doing a background search on both your identity – so be careful,” she warned.

“I know.  By Wednesday, I’ll be playing dual roles – I have to keep my mind on one agenda.  Find the culprit!” She wanted to shout.