The Dinner

A Double Take

“Um.  I was but the Hilton Resort here on Jeju-do had a spa convention and with Luna out, I came down to help promote our products.  I am planning to return next week and Kai is aware of my time off,” Krystal explained.

“Okay.  But that doesn’t explain why the four of you are dressed in black like burglars,” he pointed out.

“Our shirts are polo and we’re all in leggings, a different style of pants for women and we’re promoting our products from our personal business therefore we dressed as specialists,” Vic explained.

“I see.  But what are the four of you doing here?” He asked again.

“We came to check on Luna since she mentioned something about a snake bite,” Sulli shivered.

“And as you can see, she is recuperating, therefore she will not be able to do anything except rest,” Kris stood next to Luna as if she needed a knight in amour.

“I can see that,” Vic murmured.

“Don’t you need to check on the boathouse?” Luna reminded him.

“I do.  But I’ll be back soon and don’t put any more pressure on that leg,” he ordered.

She only nodded.

Grabbing the flashlight from the closet, he gave her a quick kiss on top of her head before dashing off – but did he bid the other girls a farewell.

“Hmmm something going on here that you want to share with us?” Krystal smiled.

“Nothing is going on here,” Luna shook her head.

“Really.  From what I see, he’s showing some sign of caring and if you’re not careful, you might get hurt,” Vic inserted. 

Bringing her back to reality, Vic does have a point.  She shouldn’t be getting that close to him when he was infatuated with Luna Lim, the dual identity of her real self. 

“He has a thing for Luna Lim and he is only showing you affection because you look like her,” Amber reminded her.

“Or better yet, you are her except he doesn’t know that,” Sulli chimed in.

“Please don’t remind me,” Luna groaned.

“I can see the two of you becoming very comfortable however you need to be aware that if he ever finds out that you’ve been deceiving him – I can’t see you getting away with it,” Vic reminded her.

“And from what Kai told me, Kris has hidden charms yet when he is mad or angry – no one can stop him, not even his friends,” Krystal stated.

“Isn’t that the same with the rest of them?” Amber thought.

“Just be careful Luna,” Vic stated again.

“I will.  But it looks like my week here will be resting and then I should be able to finish up the design for the team coming in next week to finish up the project for Mr. and Mrs. Wu,” Luna nodded.

“And don’t fall in love or you’ll be in trouble,” Sulli warned her.

“I know.  You don’t have to remind me twice.  I already know he wants Luna Lim instead of Luna Park – you don’t have rubbed it in,” she whined.

“We’ll take off since we’re not supposed to be here.  See you back in the city,” Victoria waved as she signals the other three to follow her out.

 

So far they have been lucky with their tongue and capable of coming up with last minute ideas to catch them off guard but sooner or later, their stories will catch up to them.  Her goal is not fall in love with him or make him fall in love with her.  Right – that should be easy to do, isn’t it?

An hour later he came back drenched and she didn’t even notice it was raining again.

“You’re soaked!” She almost shouted.

“Yeah.  I’m going to take a shower and then I’ll get a fire going,” he told her before entering the bathroom.  And she only nodded trying not to stare at his see through t-shirt.

While he was in the shower, she limped over to the kitchen and begins boiling water to make porridge.  Just when the rice was coming to a boil, he came out of the bathroom wrapped in only a towel.  She had to shut her jaw before he could see her expression.

“What are you doing over there?” He asked.

“Making something to eat,” she glared back.

“I thought I told you to stay put,” he tossed back at her.

“It’s not that hard for me to stand and lean against the counter – I’m not disabled,” she stated.

“You better be back on this couch when I come out of my room, or else...” he warned her before entering his room.

Well with that being said, what can she do?  It’s not like she wanted to challenge him, since she was still injured – darn her leg.  She turned off the heat since the porridge needed to simmer before she could add any ingredients; she hobbled back to the couch just in time before he opened the door.

“I’m glad you can follow some directions,” he muttered gently but with a smile.

“I’ll try very hard to since I’m usually giving orders and not the other way around,” she shrugged.

“Your friends left so soon?” He asked while looking around.

“They didn’t feel welcome so they all left,” she said gently without trying to offend him.

“I didn’t mean to make them feel that way.  If I did, I’m sorry.  I was just in a rush to get over there before the guys left,” he apologized.

“I’m sure they understand since they were intruding on private property,” she shrugged.

“Well if they wanted to come over tomorrow, they are more than welcome – I will be around since the guys will not be making any repair tomorrow,” he suggested.

“No, they still have another day of the convention to do and by then, they will be exhausted,” she declined since they had other things to do instead of babysitting her.

“So what did you make?” He asked.

“Porridge.  But I need to add the ingredients,” she stood up but only to sit back down as soon as her eyes met his glare.

“I’ll take care of it and after we eat, I’ll clean your wound,” he instructed.

“Why are you so bossy?” She asked as soon as he turned his back to her.

He only chuckled.

“You’re not the first to say that but it must be my personality and what I envisioned for myself,” he declared as he adds the necessary ingredients into the porridge.

“Have you always wanted to take over your father’s spot?” She asked.

“Yes.  I did. I grew up in his footsteps and always wanted to be him,” he nods.

“Like father and son, same ambitions,” she smiled.

“How about you?  What made you become a programmer instead of a social organizer like your mom?” He asked.

“People are not my thing.  I don’t do well in public and I tend to keep a low profile and operate independently with lesser eyes watching me.  I like my privacy,” she answers non-sarcastically.

“Are you saying I like to be in the spotlight too much?” He asked jokingly.

“No.  I just don’t like people digging into my private matter.  What I do is my job and things I do are for good reasons.  I just don’t do it because it’s fun.  It has to be done and how it gets done – it’s up to me to make sure it gets done,” she clarifies.

“You must be very passionate about your job,” he commented.

“Same goes for you –right?” Likewise she added.

“Out of curiosity, did your parents ever mention how they met my parents or likewise?” He asked out of the blue.

She shook her head.

“I wonder too.  I mean the two are not very different however yours seem to enjoy a low profile lifestyle while mine are always in the media for who knows what – I wonder how the two became as close as they are now to want us to married,” he thought.

“What goes on in a parent’s mind is none of our business.  Our duties as children are to follow and obey them.  But to a point we will put our foot down and let them know that we are capable of making our own choices.  Mine have come to terms with my reasons.  I hope yours will understand someday as well,” she voiced her own opinion.

“So if you were a filial child, you would have obey your parents’ request but since you are too independent, you fought them for your freedom,” he clarifies and continues to say, “do you feel any regrets if you hurt their feelings when they are only wanting the best for you?”

She thought about it for a moment. 

“But it’s no longer their life.  Yes they gave me life but what I make with it in the future is up to me – don’t you agree,” she shared her thoughts.

Then he thought about it for a moment and slowly nodded.  She had a point and the more he is learning about her, the more he is drawn to her.  She is not as tomboyish as she makes herself out to be.  She is very independent and opinionated but in a good way for the other person’s best interest. 

“The porridge is done.  Do you want to eat in front of the fire place or at the table?” He asked.

“The fire place,” she smiled.  Her eyes twinkle when she smiles.  And that’s one thing he really likes about her – her smile and her eyes.  Luna Lim had the same facial expression as her too. 

Releasing a sigh – he needs to stop thinking about her.  She made it clear that she did not want him to look for her anymore.  So why is he still pinning for her when someone like Luna is in front of him?  Because he’s an idiot – that’s why.

“Don’t move.  Let me get the fire going and then I’ll serve the food – then I’ll come help you,” he instructed.

She lifted an eyebrow indicating her sarcastic humor.

“Don’t challenge me my little moon girl,” he warned her.

“What did you call me?” She almost choked.

“My moon girl,” he repeated.

She frowned.

“You don’t like it,” he looked sad.

“I don’t think I was ever given a nickname,” she said thinking thoroughly.

“Great.  I will be the first,” he smiled while setting up the coffee table for the two of them.

“You seemed so proud,’ she laughed.

“The guys won’t allow me to nickname them so I’m glad I can nickname someone close to me,” he smiled.

“You consider me as a close person?” She asked with much hope.

“If I didn’t, would I be serving you?” He asked in return.

 

“You know you’re not so bad when you’re all homey-dovey,” she joked.

He laughed.  And it’s been so long that he has laughed so naturally.  Wow.  Ever since their first run into each other, he has never met anyone who caused him so much frustration yet happiness all at once.  This must be the real part about finding your other half.  Maybe his parents were on target when they suggested he married her.  They wanted him to have a partner who will not only challenge him but support him to be at his best.

 

“What’s going through your mind?” She asked as she notices him slowing down on setting up the table.  It seemed as if he had a lot on his mind.

“Just thinking through some of the stuff my parents had mention to me but I pay them no heed until now,” he sighs.

She frowned.

“It couldn’t have been that bad,” she smiled warmly.

A smile that reached the core of his heart.  Is this what loves feel like? If so, he needs to capture it before he loses it again.  As they say you can have more than one person you fall for but really at the end of the line, there is only one person for you. 

“I never understood why my parents wanted me to marry you in the first place but as I learn about you, I understand now,” he told her honestly.

“Oh boy, do I want to know mister,” she shuddered.

“What I lack is what you have.  What I need is what you hold.  And it works vice versa – that’s why they were so keen on the two of us marrying,” he explained.

“That sounds very gibberish to me,” she shook her head not understanding what he meant.

After the fire started, he walked over to where she was and lifted her tiny body into his arms.  She felt so right too.  He carried her over to the pillow seats where the food was awaiting for the two of them.  He almost didn’t want to let her go but she has to eat and so does he. 

“I know it sounds strange but I’m sure there is a reason why our parents’ wants the two of us to come together – I just can’t get my finger on it,” he frowned.

“Don’t think too much about it.  I’m sure they would accept us being friends too,” she smiled while eating her porridge.

“You must not really want to marry me if you are insisting that the two of us become friends,” he spoke quietly. 

“Are we back to that again?  I thought you wanted someone else.  Or at least you did publicity the last time you made that announcement?” She reminded him again.

“But my instinct is telling me to choose you over her – I don’t know why,” he sighs.

While she froze in place – is he catching on?

“What do you mean?” She asked.

“Luna Lim does not feel real to me even though the image of her seemed real.  Something tells me she is not who she made herself to be,” he started to explain.

She frowned.

“Okay.  I know this sounds weird.  But I had this feeling ever since she disappeared after that last episode.  I had Luhan traced her with Lay and the two of them were unable to find her.  Don’t you find it strange – I mean it’s like she doesn’t even exist,” he continues to say.

“Well is she listed publicly?” She asked.

He shook his head.

“Just like celebrities.  You can only know so much about them but pay a high price to be kept hidden from the public.  I don’t think that is strange at all,” she casually stated while finishing her porridge.

After he finished his porridge, he placed his utensils down and then focuses his attention to her – he needed to know for sure.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” She asked in alarm.

“And be honest since I hate liars, have you ever met Luna Lim?” He asked.

She was caught in the spotlight.

She shook her head.

“Then why do you know so much about her if her private life is PRIVATE?” He asked sternly.