The Event

A Double Take

Wu Electro Co Enterprise

“Father, we’ve been through this conversation one too many times already,” Kris reminded again.

“And it will keep coming up until you agree to meet her at least once before say you’re not ready,” his father reminded him again.

Before he could he say another word, his mother stepped in since the conversation was going on longer than she had anticipated. Both his parents were still young at heart however they were in their mid 60’s.  Although he just turned twenty-three, some would think his parents were his grandparents but he was just a late bloomer and his parents didn’t have him till they were in their mid 30’s, successful and powerful.  That’s what he wanted for himself but life has thrown another obstacle at him – his parents wanted him settled by the age of twenty-five and it doesn’t help when all he does is work. 

Monday through Friday, he is mainly in the office and only goes home for eight hours to sleep and then to return back to repeat the same thing over and over.  On the weekends, he spends it with his friends, relaxing and catching up on daily dramas that they all go through.  Most would think he would go on dates during his free time but ever since he motivated himself to earn his MBA – he didn’t have time.  Sure he drinks and dances with beautiful young ladies but has he taken any of them seriously – NO.  Well with an exception to one young lad who he happened to run into during an event at school when the two collided and connected not only on a technical level but chemistry as well.  He felt something there that he has never felt with anyone else but after the first dance, she disappeared and ever since then he has not seen her.

It’s been two years since that event.  Two long years.

“Now boys, we do not need the two of you worked up over this matter.  Tonight, you must be on your best behavior – she will be attending tonight’s event with her parents,” his mother calmly told the two.

“And they will sit at our table?” His father asked.

“Of course.  I’ve already arranged it with Mrs. Park,” his mother replied with a warm smile.

All he could do was groaned but hid his annoyance behind a bitter smile. He truly loves his parents but he just wants to live his life the way he wants to but his parents wants the best for him and if marrying the girl of their dreams will get them off of his back – maybe that’s what he’ll sort of agree too – in a biblical sense.

“Don’t be late,” his mother reminded him while dragging his father out of his office.

After his parents left the room, he took a look around this office, what used to be his father’s office but now that he is running the enterprise in his father’s place – his father still has the final say until he completely hands over the contract to him but he has literally transform the office to his taste with more wall paintings and lighter curtains for lighting purposes.  Then he realizes why his parents wanted him to settle down sooner than later, he was always alone and pretty much lived in this office.  His father did not want him to become like him.  Successful – YES but work to death – NO.

Maybe tonight will be the night.  Who knows, maybe he’ll run into the girl he’s been searching for by luck.  Luna.

 

Expert Info-Tech Bureau

Phone rings.  Keeps ringing.  Finally Luna took a deep a breath and answered one of her private lines.

“Hello mother,” she greeted warmly.

“Hi darling, I’m calling to remind you about tonight’s event,” she happily reminded her.

“Mom……” Luna started to say.

“We have VIP seating so don’t be late, it will make us look unappreciative to Mr. and Mrs. Wu, so be on time,” her mother stated again.

“And how did you get VIP seating?” She wondered.

“Mrs. Wu offered them to us so she and her husband can get to know you better,” her mother offered her the honest answer.

“And why do they want to know me better?” She asked.

“For their son and only son,” she whispered carefully.

“Mom!” Luna almost shouted.

“Now honey, you knew this was coming sooner or later.  Actually you known it your whole life,” her mother reminded her.

“But I’m only 21!” She exclaimed.

“Yes and he’s only 23,” her mother tried to relax her. 

“And he wants to marry me?” She asks.

“Well that I don’t know but his parents wants this sooner than later,” her mother answers.

“Why?” She wondered.

“I don’t know but maybe you will find out tonight my dear – don’t be late,” she said again before disconnect the call.

 

Settling her phone back onto the cradle, she ponders at what to do next.  She is not ready to settle down yet but her parents seem to have other ideas for her.  For heaven sake, she is only twenty one.  Yes, she may have finished school earlier than others and have been doing a good job keeping a low profile of herself but marriage – good grief.

She has never dated anyone seriously for the past two years and she has been too busy to even think about men.  Especially one in general that almost cost a fortune.  But knowing that now, she is much better at avoiding the same mistake twice.  She really needs to speak with her father and somehow pull herself out of this promise he had with his best friend. 

 

Wu Foundation for Disabled Children

Dressed in a warm knee-length beige dress with one floral shoulder piece, Luna had her long blond hair wrapped in a loose side bun with her butterfly droplet earrings to finish off the elegant look.

“Luna, beautiful as ever.  Did you dye your hair?” Mrs. Wu asked with a warm smile.

“I did it a while back but as you can tell, I need to retouch it up soon,” Luna nodded.

“I never did ask why you dye your hair in the first place,” her now wondered.

“It was time for a new a look,” she closed the topic.

“Where is my son, I told him to be on time too,” Mrs. Wu contemplated and kept her eyes on the clock.

“I’m sure he was just held up at the office,” Mrs. Park thought.

“He just texted me, he is on his way down,” Mr. Wu interrupted the ladies.

“Shall we take our seats,” Mr. Park suggested.

“As soon as Kris shows up,” Mr. Wu nodded.

“Kris?” Luna repeated.  The name sounded vaguely familiar but then again Kris is a common name that can be spelled differently.

“Yes, his name is Kris and speaking of the devil, here he comes,” Mrs. Wu signal him to join them.

 

Luna was tempted to turn around to see who this Kris was but her instinct told her to stay put until the two were introduced.  She didn’t want to appear like a girl who was willingly ready to married him, no matter how rich he was – she had better things to do in life.

“Mr. and Mrs. Park, how do you do?” Kris greeted the elders first.

“Very well my son, how is work?” Mr. Park asked.

“Swell and we’re picking up more clienteles this time around,” Kris replies enthusiastically.

“This is my daughter Luna, Luna this is Kris,” Mr. Park introduces the two.

“Luna,” he repeated with a warm smile yet she could tell he was trying to find an answer to something else.  It was almost as if he was confused.

“Nice to meet you Kris,” Luna held out her hand to greet him.

Kris took her hand and felt the immediate shock.  Luna felt it too since her eyes were completely wide open from shock.  Now Luna was also confused.

“Let’s go in and find our table,” Mr. Wu suggested.  The others followed him in while Kris held Luna outside for a bit longer.

“Have we met before Luna?” Kris asked.

“If we had, we could have avoided this confrontation – don’t you think?” Luna asked in return.

“So I’m guessing you are against this marriage as well?” Kris asks.

“Of course.  Who would want to marry a complete stranger picked out for them?” She nodded.

“But I’m not a stranger, am I Luna?” Kris asks again.

“You are as much as a stranger as anyone off the street,” Luna disagrees.

“But we’ve met before,” he added.

“When?” She wondered in confusion.

“Now is not the time to talk about this but maybe after this event, we can catch up,” he suggested.

“I have plans after this event and there is no need to catch up when I have no idea who you are besides as my prosperous fiancé who I am ordered to marry,” Luna replies smoothly moving toward the ballroom to locate her parents.

“We’ll see about that,” he murmured following her into the ballroom.  He’s pretty darn sure that she is the same girl from two years ago.  The hand shake gave it away but why she is fighting against it, he has no idea either.  It’s been two years and too long – now he will not let her out of his sight.  She ran away once but she won’t get away the second time around.

 

During dinner, Kris found out that she has taken some time off from work to help her parent’s out with some charity work and is thankful for that since it would put him in a better position to keep an eye on her.

“So Kris, what are your plans for this weekend?” Mrs. Park asked him.

“Actually the same charity that Luna will be helping with is under my supervision so I’ll be doing that this weekend,” he replies smoothly.

Luna froze in mid air while trying to swallow her food.  Is he serious?

“Well that is wonderful, it will allow the two of you to get to know each other better,” Mrs. Wu clapped happily.

Luna almost rolled her eyes.  Unbelievable!

“Hmm, maybe I will fall ill and then I might not be able to do it after all,” she muttered under her breath.

“Well aren’t you just in luck, I’m heading to Busan after tonight’s event, if it’s alright with your parents, you can accompany me and I promise to be a gentleman,” he suggested.

Luna looked at her mom with the ‘help me’ expression.

“I trust you my boy.  Just make sure she doesn’t get out of your sight,” her father answered before her mother could say anything.

“But dad….” She started to say and was cut off by Kris.  “You have my word sir,” Kris nodded.

 

Placing her utensils down, she excused herself to the ladies room.  What she didn’t realize was that shortly after she left, Kris also excused himself from the table and followed her out.

In the bathroom, she tried to think of ideas to get herself out of this mess.  Why on earth does he want to spend the weekend with her when he should be working his way out of this promise marriage too?  It just doesn’t make sense.  And then he must have her mixed up with someone else – what she felt was electric shock, like when you rubbing your hair against the bathroom stall.  He must have thought of it as something else.  Looking at herself one more time in the mirror before heading out, she should have dressed more nerdy and then she would be a turn off.  Guys like him wouldn’t even give her second look if he sees her in her casual nerdy clothes.  Not a chance.

Coming around the corner when she least expected it, he stepped out of nowhere and pulled her into an empty conference hall where it was dimly-lit.

“Running away?” He asked.

Luna frowned.

“You got away the first time but I won’t let you get away this time around,” he stated more firmly this time around.

“Look, I don’t know what you are talking about but I think you have me mistaken for someone else,” Luna pointed out.

“I felt it. And I know you felt it too,” he reminded her.

“Felt what.  The electric shock, yeah I feel those all the time, I work in the lab 8 hours a day so of course I’m bound to give off some electro physiology shock wave,” Luna agreed.

“Electro what..?” He stumbled.

“I’m a lab scientist,” she inserted.

“Lab scientist?” He repeated.

“Yes but I work with electricity to create new inventions,” she added.

Now he was blinking in confusion.  She almost wanted to laugh but she figured it wouldn’t be appropriate considering the fact that he had her holed up in a room alone with nobody nearby to help.

“So if you’ll excuse me, I need to get back to my parents,” she tried to push him away.

He took a couple steps back and allowed her some space but she was still intimidated by his height – he’s got to be over six feet.  Standing only at 5’4” is considered average for most women however when you standing in front of someone like him – you can definitely see the difference in levels.

“Very well but do not think this conversation is closed,” he reminded her.

She only nodded so the two could return back to the ballroom.  As soon as they entered the dance floor was open – it must be auction time.  Luckily it was a bachelor auction event for dance cue and if he is on the list, she is DEFINITELY not bidding.  Smiling to herself as soon as his name was called up to take center stage.

“Mom….dad…” he whispers as a guide pulled him toward the stage.

“Luna, will you be bidding tonight?” Mrs. Wu asked.

“No, not tonight.  I had a long day and will probably make my way home so I can get ready for this weekend,” she tried to cover a yawn.

“Meaning you don’t want to help my son out?” She guessed with a chuckle.

“No offense…” she started to apologize.

“None taken my dear, it’s nice to see him see life from a different view – this should be very interesting,” Mrs. Wu tried to hold in her laughter. Her mother joined in on the joke while her father along with Mr. Wu was just staring at the bidders.

“A lady in white bids $2,000,” the MC announces.

Someone shouted $3,000, another shouted $4,000, another gal shouted $5,000 – someone else from the side, a slender woman with blond hair to her shoulders bid $10,000 and saw the smile on Kris’s face. 

“Sold to the beautiful lady in red,” the MC announced.

All you could hear was applauses.

“So Miss Jia decided to attend the event,” Mrs. Wu joined in on the amount that her son was just bid for a dance.

“Who is she?” Mrs. Park asked.

“Her father and my husband are business co-partner thru the China’s branch but Kris oversees that section now too and will be working closely with Miss Jia in the future,” she answers.

“So why can’t he marry her?” Luna thought out loud not realizing she said it out loud.

“Because he never showed an interest in her,” Mrs. Wu shrugged.

The lights in the ballroom dimmed down and the orchestra started the first song and those who won the bid for the first dance were on the floor.  Her parents along with Mr. and Mrs. Wu joined the crowd.  She gave her parents the ‘don’t worry about me’ look in case they come back to find her missing.

Her phone beeped and saw that Victoria was calling her about this weekend’s charity, she grabbed her belongings and stepped out of the room to take the call.

“Unnie, what’s up?” She greeted.

“Where are you?” She asked.

“At the boring event I told you my parents bullied me into,” she groaned.

“Are you almost done?” She asked.

“Yeah.  I did my part so I will head out and see in you 20 minutes,” she bid farewell and made her way out of the hall.

Good thing she drove alone otherwise she may have to use public transportation or worse wait for her parents.  Just as she was about exit the door, she heard a familiar voice.

“I thought we were going to finish our conversation,” he shouted from the hallway. 

She calculated the distance between the two of them, he was a good 300 feet away and her car was just outside the door – Can she make it? 

“Maybe next time, have a good evening Kris,” she waved and dashed out the door.  Good thing her keys were already in her hand, she unlocked and jumped in locked the door behind her.  She pressed the start button and her car automatically , she took a glance and just saw him reaching the door as she pulled away.

 

He definitely did not look happy.