The Talk

If Only You Knew

Aerin’s POV

There were only a few more days before the school talent show, but Mr. Lee, the organizer of the show, had us start selling tickets.  I made mom and Jaemin oppa buy one, even though I’m not performing.  The rest of BEAST all got their family members to buy one, whereas Yoseob still had his 2 tickets in his backpack.

“Are you going to tell your mom and Daehyun-shi to come to the talent show?”  I asked in a concerning voice as Yoseob and I sat down at a booth in our usual ice cream parlour after school.

“What’s the point?”  He tossed the 2 tickets on the newly cleaned table, and looked out the window.  “They’re not going to come anyway.”

“But if you ask them, maybe they will.”

“Daehyun hates the talent show idea and me.  Eomma’s just going to follow whatever Daehyun does, so she’s not going to come either.”  Yoseob’s voice was relentless, as if he had given up all hope.

Then I knew what I had to do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luckily we still had another weekend to practice before the show.  I called in sick to the guys, so I could carry out my plan while they were busy rehearsing.  But I assured Yoseob that I was fine, and that my mom was taking care of me, so he didn’t have to worry.

After the guys all made their way to Doojoon’s house, I arrived in front of Yoseob’s place.  I rang the doorbell.  Though last time I came Yoseob’s door was unlocked, it seemed rude to just barge into someone’s house.  After a few rings, the door opened to Yoseob’s mom beautiful smile.

“Sorry to keep you waiting, I was in the kitchen I didn’t hear the first couple of rings.  Come in!”  Same as the last time I saw her, she gave off a sweet warm aura as she invited me in.

“Thank you.”  I bowed politely before sitting down on the couch.  “Daehyun-shi’s not home today?”

“He’s out to work, but will be home very soon.  Are you looking for Yoseob?  He’s over at Doojoon’s house.”  Her tender motherly voice made me melt – almost like how Yoseob’s voice makes me melt.

“Um no actually.  I am here to look for you.”  I smiled.

“Oh?  Let me get us some tea and snacks, and we then we can talk.”  She replied sweetly, and floated into the kitchen for a few minutes, before coming back out again with a tray of freshly-cut fruits and some tea.  “Now what is it that you wanted to talk to me about?”

“Well, it’s concerning the talent show.”  I thought it would be best if I kept my tone and language as polite as possible, but not stranger-polite.  “Yoseob was hoping you and Daehyun-shi can attend the talent show on the upcoming Friday.”

There was a pause of hesitation before she continued.

“Is it this Friday?”  Her voice sounded surprised, like she knew nothing about the talent show.  “You see, my husband doesn’t really approve of Yoseob being in the show, so I don’t think we’ll attend.”

“But Yoseob worked so hard on it!  He and the rest of BEAST practice at Doojoon’s house every Saturday ever since they heard about the talent show.  Now that the event is coming closer, they’re practicing on both days of the weekend.”

“I’m sure that if this is important to Yoseob, he would come to us about it.”

“He has come to you before, and you know it.”  I stood up from my seat with bursting anger, but still tried to keep my language appropriate.  “But you reject him because of Daehyun-shi.  Whatever he says, you agree with him.  Do you even listen to your son anymore?”

A look of shock flashed before Yoseob’s mom’s face – probably surprised at my sudden change of behaviour.  “I can assure you that I listen to Yoseob!”  She stood up as well.

“When was the last time you guys sat down and had a decent talk about each other’s day?”  She stuttered upon my question, but I continued without waiting for her response.  “Do you know that Yoseob’s been hating on Daehyun-shi ever since you guys got married?!  Because he feels that Daehyun-shi hates him, and you’re always siding with your husband that you don’t even listen to what your blood-related son has to say!”

Endless streams of guilty tears dribbled down her cheeks as she threw her hands up to cover her face.

“Stop harassing my wife!”  A strong baritone voice shouted as Daehyun quickly came to her side and wrapped his arms around her, but glaring a death look at me.  “You have no right to come into my house and yell at my wife!”

“Mrs. Yang,” my voice returned to soft but still strict.  “I want to apologize for my obnoxious behaviour of coming into your house and yelling at you.  But I also want you to think about all the things I’ve said.  Then use your own judgement,” my eyes switched from her to Daehyun, “to decide whether or not you want to come.”

More tears and crying filled the room when I made my way to the door.

“How dare she!  I knew it was a bad idea for Yoseob to have a girlfriend right now.”  I heard Daehyun just as my foot stepped out of the door.

Now I know why Yoseob hates him so much – it was always either his way or no way.  Though I do feel bad about lecturing Mrs. Yang like that.  I wonder if they’re going to make Yoseob break up with me after what I did.  But I had already prepared for this before setting foot into their house – I was ready to embrace whatever hardship or harsh comments Daehyun-shi throws at me.