The Dance

If Only You Knew

Aerin’s POV

The morning classes felt as if they dragged on and on, but at last lunch arrived.  Just when I turned around to talk to Yoseob, the announcements went on.

“I Hope all students and teachers had a wonderful morning!"  The principal always seems to be in a good mood.

"Does anyone know what event will be held this Friday?”  Did I mention that he's overly enthusiastic about things too?

Yoseob and I exchanged confused looks.

“That’s right!  This Friday, we will be having Shinhwa High School’s annual Valentine’s Day dance!  This year, it will be held at Haneul Banquet Hall.  Tickets will be sold at lunch all through Monday to Thursday.  Buy your ticket today!  I hope to see you all there!”

A sound of static ended the morning announcements.  I was totally unaware that a whole month had already passed by, and Valentine’s Day was this week.

“Aerin-ah?”  Yoseob called out to me, waving his hand in front of my face.  “I called you 3 times already.  Stop daydreaming.”

“Oh really?  Sorry.”

“Yah, I have a question.”  Yoseob seemed serious, so I leaned in to listen.  “What are high school dances like?”

“You’ve never been to a high school dance before?”  I was surprised at his question.  He seemed like those popular guys in schools who will never miss a school dance.  It's like, if he doesn't go, then the rest of his "posse" wouldn't go.  Kind of like the stereotypical football jocks, on American TV shows, who rule the school.

“Well I’ve been to dances when I was in middle school, but then I went to Hong Kong after that.  And Hong Kong high schools aren’t into that kind of school events, so we never had one.”

“Oh I see.”  I nodded, understanding his situation.  “Well, every year for the dance, the school rents out a banquet hall and hires a DJ.  You get food and you dance.  No big deal really.”

Unenthusiastically, I explained how a high school dance works to Yoseob, but I guess I made it sound just a bit more boring than it might actually be.  The truth is, every year when the big dance arrives, while everybody else is fussing about what they should wear and who they will take to the dance, I've always skipped it.  I never exactly went to a dance at Shinhwa either.  To me, I was never really attracted to those kinds of school events.  Prancing around in a skimpy party dress and putting on a mask of makeup just didn’t appeal to me.

“Sounds pretty decent.  Let’s get the guys to come too!”  Yoseob suggested with a smile on his face.  “My first high school dance should be special!”

I guess if the rest of the guys are going to go, I really had no reason to skip it this year.  Besides, what kind of friend would I be if I wasn’t there for Yoseob at his first high school dance?  Maybe this year, it’ll be different.  Yes.  Definitely different.  I think it’s time.