The Beastly Boys

If Only You Knew

Aerin’s POV

“My name is Yang Yoseob.  Annyeonghaseyo.”  The boy bowed.

Those same familiar eyes.  The same golden blond hair.  It was him.

When Yoseob stood up, his chocolate brown eyes met mine.  I could tell he was a bit surprised that we now go to the same school.  He sent me the very same sweet smile he had yesterday.  Okay, so I was wrong.  He is that cute.

“You can sit at the empty desk behind Aerin.”  Ms. Kim was about to introduce me, but Yoseob walked straight to my desk.  Ms. Kim was surprised that he knew who I was.

 “Shall we get on with the lesson then?  Take out your novel everybody.”  Ms. Kim took out her own copy of the novel.

I flipped to the page Ms. Kim said, and began listening to her read out loud.  Then, somebody tapped my shoulder.  I turned around, and Yoseob handed a note to me without looking up from his book.

It’s great to see you again! ^^

                        - Yoseob

I smiled to myself, and wrote below his words.

You too! ^^

                        - Aerin

Want to show me around after school?

                        - Yoseob

Sure.

                        - Aerin

After for what felt like hours, school finally ended.  I started packing up my stuff, when Yoseob grabbed his backpack and stood beside my desk.

“Ready?”  He smiled sweetly.

I nodded, taking out a cherry-flavoured lollipop.  “Do you want one?”

Yoseob chuckled and shook his head.  Just as we were heading for the door, I heard footsteps approaching.

Yoseob’s POV

“Yoseobie!”  A familiar voice called out to me.

I turned around to see that Doojoon was standing at the door.

“Doojoon-ah!  I haven’t seen you for so long!”  I greeted him with a fist pump.

I haven’t seen Doojoon hyung in 3 years.  Behind him was the whole BEAST group.  As each of the members greeted me, Doojoon’s eyes shifted to Aerin.  She quickly turned away, seeming intimidated by his stare.

I walked back over to Aerin, and introduced her to the group.  “Guys, this is Song Aerin, my new friend.”  I smiled at her.  “I assume you know who they are.”

“How can I not?  The school’s kingkas.”  Aerin responded.

 “Yoseob-ah, want to go get some ice cream?  We need to catch up!”  Kikwang spoke.

“Can Aerin come along?  I asked her to show me around.”  I added, smiling at her again.  I didn’t want her to seem awkward around my friends.

 “Sure, let’s go!”  Dongwoon rushed the boys out the door.

Aerin’s POV

We made our way to the ice cream shop.  I haven’t said a word to Yoseob after BEAST intruded.  Yoseob was now being surrounded by Doojoon and Junhyung.  Hyunseung was scrolling down Dongwoon’s iphone playlist, while Dongwoon’s trying to listen to music.  I walked silently behind the boys, when Kikwang came beside me.

“Hey!  You and Yoseob just met?”  Kikwang asked me in a friendly tone.

I had to admit, Kikwang seemed to be the nicest out of the 6, excluding Yoseob of course.

“No, actually we met last night when we were at the Hong Kong airport.”

“Oh.  Yoseob just came back from Hong Kong.  He moved before coming to Shinhwa High School.”

Yoseob is the legendary missing member of BEAST?

“So I guess you guys have been friends for a long time then.”

“Yeah, since elementary school.  Back then, we were mini BEAST.”  Kikwang laughed at the memory of being mini BEAST.  “Want to make a bet?”

“A bet?  For what?”

“I bet you that I can guess what song Dongwoon and Hyunseung are listening to.”  He pointed at the 2 guys.  If I win, you have to buy me ice cream.”

“And what if you get it wrong?”

“Then I’ll buy you ice cream.”  Kikwang winked.

“Sounds good.  Free ice cream.”

Kikwang made his guess on MBLAQ’s Stay With Me.  Not long after, he came back with a frown.

“Got it wrong?”  I asked before Kikwang nodded sadly.  “Thank you for the free ice cream!”

We arrived at the ice cream shop shortly after.  I picked a seat and sat down with Hyunseung and Junhyung, while the others lined up for their order.

“Aren’t you going to line up for ice cream?”  Junhyung asked me.

“Kikwang’s getting it.  We made a bet and he lost, so now he has to buy me ice cream.”

“Get used to it.  Kikwang always loses bets and games.”  Laughed Hyunseung.  “You will lose against me though.  You up for it?”

“Sure, how about muk chi ba?”  I suggested, getting my hand ready for the game of rock paper scissors.

“Ha, it’s my specialty.  If you lose, you have to buy me ice cream.  Vice versa.  Ready?”

 “KAI BAI BO!”  We both chanted.  With me putting out rock and Hyunseung showing scissors, I won.

“WHAAAT?”  Hyunseung shouted in disbelief.  “I never lose in this game!  You just got lucky.  Best 2 out of 3?”

I happily accepted the rematch, but after 3 rounds, I still won.

“Good game.”  I smiled at him, holding out my hand for a handshake.

“Yeah, it was fun losing in this game for once.”  He shook my hand.  “But I’ll keep my promise.  What ice cream would you like?”

“Chocolate and vanilla swirl please!”

Hyunseung got up to buy my ice cream just as the rest of the members came back.  Kikwang placed a chocolate sundae in front of me and sat down next to me.

“Thank you!

“Hyunseung is buying ice cream?  But he doesn’t even like it.”  Dongwoon his strawberry cone.

“He played muk chi ba with Aerin, and she won.  The winner gets ice cream.”  Junhyung answered.

“Really?!”  Kikwang exploded in amazement.  “You won Prince Jang in muk chi ba?  He never loses!”

I shyly shrugged, and scooped my sundae.

Yoseob’s POV

Time had flown by today, since the sun was already setting.

“It’s late.  I have to go now.”  Aerin waved the group goodbye.

“Wait!  Here’s my number.  We should all hang out again!”  Kikwang took Aerin’s phone from her hand and began typing in his phone number.

“Here’s mine too.  We should have another muk chi ba rematch!”  Hyunseung dialled in his number after, and the rest of the members did the same thing too, except for Doojoon.

“What do you think of Aerin so far?”  I asked Doojoon while we waited for our ice cream order to arrive.

Doojoon was silent for a moment, then finally responded, “She reminds me of her.”

I glanced at Aerin who was happily chatting away with Hyunseung and Junhyung.  She did have some resemblance of her.

“I’ll walk you home.”  I offered, as the others left.

“You don’t have-”

I cut her off before she could say no.  “Who knows if some bad guys will pop out from behind a bush and kidnap you?  It’s better if you’re not walking alone.”

She couldn’t refuse after I joked about that.

 “Yah, Yoseob?”  After a long while, Aerin suddenly asked on the long walk back home.  “Does Doojoon not like me?”

“Why would you think that?”

“He seems… I don’t know.  He always gives me these awkward glances.”

“Oh.  You just remind him of someone, that's all.”  I replied, looking up at the sky.

She was about to ask who that someone was, when we arrived in front of her house.

“Thanks for walking me home.”  Aerin grinned at me.

“No problem.  See you tomorrow!”  I waved goodbye to her and made my way back home, after she went inside.

It was best if she didn’t know.  Doojoon wouldn’t want to be reminded of what happened.