Confession

If Only You Knew

Yoseob’s POV

It’s been months, and winter had now arrived.  I still hadn’t confessed my feelings to Aerin yet, even though Doojoon encouraged me to.  Things would just be awkward if I told her.  I didn’t want to lose her as a friend.  I guess it would be best for both of us if I didn’t tell her.  Just being by her side was enough.

Aerin’s POV

Months flew by, and Christmas was just around the corner.  I thought I was over Kikwang, but he seemed to be still wandering in my mind.  Maybe it's not a phase.  Maybe I truly like him.  My cheeks suddenly burned when his name came up in my head.

“Eomma, Appa!”  I called out to my parents from the front door.  “I’m going over to Doojoon’s house to watch the guys practice.”

“Wait Aerin!  I’ll give you a drive.  I have to go to the airport anyway.”  Dad walked downstairs with his suitcase and was dressed in proper business attire.

“Oh yeah.”  I remembered.  “I almost forgot today is the day you’re flying to Japan for your conference.”

“That’s right.”  He put on his shoes.  Mom came out with Dad’s business jacket, and Dad strung his arms through the sleeves.  “Thanks.”

“Be careful.”  She seemed worried, but was felt calm again after Dad gave her a quick kiss.

“Goodbye honey.  I’ll be back in 3 days.”  Dad left Mom with a smile, as he and I walked to the car.

“You’ve been spending a lot of time with the BEAST boys lately huh?”  Dad said suspiciously when we pulled out of the driveway.

“Appa, where are you going with this?”  I looked out the window.  “We’re all just really good friends.”

“Yeah, but are you interested in one of them in particular?”

“APPA!”  My cheeks flushed.  I couldn’t let him know that I like Kikwang.

“Okay okay.  I was just curious.”

It was about a 5 minute drive to Doojoon’s house.

“Thanks Appa.  Have a nice flight to Japan!”  I gave him a kiss on the cheeks before stepping out of the car.

“I will.  Be careful with those boys!  Don’t have too much fun!”  He teased while showing me a smile.

“APPA!  I have to go now.  Love you!”  I waved him goodbye at the front steps of Doojoon’s house.

“Love you too!”  He called out, and then I watched his car slowly drive away.

I sighed.  Dads.

Yoseob’s POV

It was a Saturday, so we were all practicing in Doojoon’s basement.  Lately, we had been working some dance moves to incorporate into the song.  Hyunseung and Kikwang were mainly the choreographers, since their dancing skills exceed the other members.  I occasionally suggested moves too, because I was a fast learner when it came to dancing.  Like when we first rehearsed the song 'Bad Girl,’ Aerin was mesmerized by our dancing skills just like she was by our vocals.

While Kikwang was rehearsing for his dance solo, Aerin tapped me on the shoulder and gestured for me to follow her.

“What’s up?”  I asked her when we went upstairs to the kitchen.

“I-I have something to…um… tell you.”  Aerin stuttered to find her words.

I didn’t say anything, but waited patiently for her to ask her questions while she twiddled with her crystal heart charm bracelet.

“You’re mean.”  I pouted, hoping this will make her tell me.  “You said you wanted to tell me something, but now you’re not telling me.”

“Okay okay!  I… I think I like someone.”  She turned away, blushing.

My heart pounded against my chest, beating faster and faster by the second.  I had been arguing with myself to whether or not confess to her, but I guess it would be easier for her to do it.

“Yoseob-ah?”  Aerin snapped her fingers in front of my face to catch my attention from my dazing.

I cleared my throat.  “So… uh, who do you like?”

“Why don’t you guess?”  She suggested.  I guess she was too nervous to say the name.  “I’ll give you a hint.  He’s a BEAST member.  That should be easy.”

“So you like one of us?”

“Yeah,” she blushed.  “Please don’t tell!  I’ll give you another hint.  He’s a good singer and an awesome dancer.”

I wanted to narrow down the options before I say the name.  “Um… is it Hyunseung?  He’s a really good dancer.”

Aerin shook her head.

“Doojoonie?  You guys are quite close.”  I suggested him, even though I knew they only treated each other as siblings.

“NO!  He’s like my oppa!”  Aerin finally sighed.  “You’re horrible at guessing, I’ll tell you instead.”

I anticipated for her to say my name.

“I like Kikwang!”

Yoseob’s POV

My heart sank.  It suddenly felt really heavy, as if it was dragging my body down with it, but I managed to keep a hold of myself in front of Aerin.  She likes Kikwang?  How could that be???  I couldn’t hope anymore.  The person that I'm in love with likes one of my best friends.

“Yoseob!”  Aerin caught my attention again.  “What do you think I should get Kikwang for Christmas?  Since it’s on the upcoming Tuesday.  But don’t worry; I got you all gifts already, so no need to feel left out!”  She teased.

I would trade my gift away if it meant I could capture her heart.

“Oh um… I think he’ll like whatever you get him.”  I spoke in a monotone, not meeting Aerin’s bright eyes.

“Yah, you’re not really helping.”  Aerin’s chin rested against her arms when she leaned over the kitchen counter on the opposite side of me.  “Oh by the way, you’re not going to tell Kikwang about what I told you today right?  I want to tell him at the right moment.”

I didn’t want him to know that she liked him either.  But it’s the truth.

“I won’t.”  I shook my head lightly.

“Komawo!  You’re the best Yoseob!”  She quickly went around to the other side of the counter and gave me a tight hug.  I wanted so much to just stay this way forever, but my hopes came crashing down when Aerin dropped her arms.  “I’m going back down now.  I want to see him dance some more.  You should come down too, for rehearsal.”

“I will in a bit.”  I forced a smile, until the basement door closed behind Aerin.

After she left, my whole body felt weak, and my knees collapsed onto the cold hard floor.