Absence

If Only You Knew

Aerin’s POV

I let out a big yawn and stretch once Ms. Kim had finished her lecture, and the after school bell rang.  The week flew by me without me noticing, and it was already Friday.  Today seemed different.  turned around, discovering the empty desk behind me.  Quieter – no one to bicker with me.  Duller – no one to paint a smile on my face.

Where did Yoseob go today?

To be honest, my heart sank a little when he didn’t show up for school today.  I… kind of… miss him.  It was as if a part of me was missing.

I sighed as I walked out of the school.  Lonelier – no one to walk home with.  I came across the split path where Yoseob and I would always part our separate ways after school.  I made my way down the opposite path I usually take to get home, but then my feet came to an abrupt stop.  Where does Yoseob live?  After being his friend for half a year, I had never been to his house once.  I had never walked him home, and he never showed me where he lived.  In fact, he hardly even talks about his family with me.

I felt like a horrible friend, so I called Doojoon for Yoseob’s address.  I was pretty sure that since Yoseob and Doojoon had been friends for so long, he must know where Yoseob lived.

“Annyeong!”

“Doojoon-ah!  I-”

“You’ve reached Yoon Doojoon.   I can’t take your call right now, so please call me back later!”  Doojoon flew to voice mail.

Great, what was I gonna do now?  For some reason, my gut kind of wrenched at the thought of Yoseob’s absence from school today.  Did something happen to him?  I winced at the thought.

“No worries,” I told myself.  “Yoseob’s probably fine.  I’ll see him tomorrow at BEAST’s Saturday practice!”  I smiled, shrugging off the bad thought that something might have happened to Yoseob.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Eomma!”  I called out to my mom on an early Saturday morning as I came downstairs.  “I’m going to the guys’ rehearsal now.”

Just as I was heading out the door, the phone rang violently.  I quickly kicked off my shoes and dashed to pick it up.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Aerin-ah!”  A familiar voice yelled anxiously through the phone, and I recognized it was Hyunseung.  “Come to the hospital now!  Something happened to Yoseob!”

The phone slipped out from my hand and dropped on to the sofa.  I could still hear Hyunseung’s continuous calling of my name on the other end of the line.

My heart pounded against my chest, full of anxiety and worry.  What could’ve happened to Yoseob?  Why was he in the hospital?  These questions swam around in my head, and before I knew it, my feet had taken my out the door.