Truth Be Told

If Only You Knew

Yoseob’s POV

After for what felt like hours of yelling, the BEAST boys were all tired out.  Our calls became softer and softer.  We melted on the floor outside of Aerin’s bedroom like snowmen melting on the ground after a sunny day.

“Why don’t we try again tomorrow?”  Dongwoon suggested, lifting himself up from the floor.

We had no choice but to leave, and continue again tomorrow.

After we parted our separate ways about an hour ago, I decided to walk around a bit more before I went home.  It was New Year’s Eve, so the streets were pretty much empty.  People were probably either celebrating in downtown or having family dinners together.  I shoved my cold hands into the pockets of my winter jacket.  Just when I was about to go home, something caught my eye.  Or rather, someone.

It was Aerin.

She seemed dazed as she stepped out onto the road.  I checked the traffic light, and the red hand on the crossing light was shining bright red.  Cars were zooming by.  Aerin was about to get herself killed!

I dashed over, grabbed Aerin by the wrist, and pulled her back onto the sidewalk.

“ARE YOU NUTS???  YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN YOURSELF KILLED!”  My tone was loud and harsh, but I couldn’t calm myself down after imagining what could have happened to Aerin if I had not yanked her back.

A few minutes later, when I finally let out all my impulsive worries, I realized that Aerin did not yell back at me.  Usually she would argue back.  Her head stayed down.  Gently, I slipped my right index finger, on the hand that wasn’t still tightly ringed around her wrist, under her chin and lifted her head up.  Her eyes were red and swollen-looking.

“Y-you’ve been… crying?”  I asked with the softest voice I could.

Her head quickly turned away from me, avoiding my gaze and my question.

“Why?”  I asked, hoping she would answer me.

“It’s none of your business.”  Her reply was cold as she tried to free her wrist that I had been holding onto, but now I held on even tighter.  “Leave me alone.”

I swung her around and into my arms just when she was about to walk away.

My arms were wrapped tightly around her.  I couldn’t let go.  Her arms dangled on both sides of her; she was frozen.  Her head laid against my chest.  We were silent for who-knows-how-long, but not talking seemed to suit the situation the best at the moment.  Even with the roaming cars on the road, I seemed to have heard her silent tears, and tilted her head up.

“Please, tell me what’s wrong.”  I looked into her teary eyes.

She sighed, and then agreed to give up the whole story when we arrived at the park near the school.

About 9 days ago, Aerin’s dad went to Japan to attend a conference.  He was supposedly scheduled to return in 3 days, but on the day of his return, his flight had trouble landing and it crashed into a rural area nearby.  It was announced that her dad had not survived in the plane crash.  She received the news when her mother called her on the day of the Christmas party.  Devastated, she shot out the door like a bullet.  Ever since then, she couldn’t get over the fact that her dad was no longer with her.

“Sorry.”  Aerin apologized after she finished explaining.  “I didn’t mean to ignore you guys for the past few days, but I just felt so depressed that I-”

“I'm sorry.”  I quickly hugged her, cutting her off from her words.

I felt guilty for this.  I felt useless that I couldn’t help Aerin while she went through all this.  I didn’t protect her better.

Aerin’s POV

After we settled down on a bench at the school’s nearby park, I explained to Yoseob about everything.  I felt guilty that I had been cold towards the BEAST boys, so I sincerely apologized, but Yoseob took me into his arms before I could finish.

“I'm sorry.”  He apologized.

Why did he say sorry?  He did nothing wrong.  I was the one that had been behaving oddly lately.  Just when I was about to ask why, he added on.

“I promise that I’ll protect you better from now on.”  His tone was now soft and sincere, unlike when he was yelling at me for stepping into traffic just a while ago.

“Thanks Yoseob.”  I thanked him, still being surrounded by his muscular arms.  “Thank you for being there for me all the time.  I’m sorry that I’ve been a burden to you guys all.”

Hot tears started to trickle down my cheek again, but Yoseob must’ve known somehow, and unlocked his arms.

Yoseob’s POV

“No you haven’t.”  I held Aerin’s face in the palms of both of my hands, and wiped away her tears with my thumbs.  “You’re probably the best thing that’s ever happened to us.”  The best thing that’s ever happened to me.

She couldn’t help but let out a little chuckle.  “Thanks.”  This time, she took the initiative in hugging me.  “You’re a great friend, did you know that?”

I scoffed in my head.  Friend.  Is that I’ll ever be to you?  Aerin, can’t you tell that I’m in love with you?