The Act Continues

If Only You Knew

Aerin’s POV

Ever since Kikwang decided to do the talent show again, the BEAST boys had been working harder than ever – rehearsing on both days of weekends.  Their vocals impressed me more now than they had in the beginning of the year when I first heard them sing.  They practiced the already completed and polished choreography more than a thousand times.  We’ve already started getting their wardrobe together for the big show.  Also now that Kikwang has majorly healed from Yoona’s heartbreaking scene, he seemed more determined than ever.

Though the talent show was important, Yoseob, Dongwoon, Kikwang and I hadn’t forgotten this was going to be our last year in high school, so we also studied really hard for our entrance exams to university.  I already had my heart set on going to University of British Columbia in Canada.

“How’d you think you did?”  Yoseob asked me when the 4 of us came out of the exam room.

I was still really nervous about my exam, but I knew my stuff, so it wasn’t all that hard.

“I think I did alright.  How about you?”

“Easy-peasy.”  He smiled at me as he laced his hand through mine.  The warmth I feel from him always brightens my day.  Yoseob then directed the question at Dongwoon and Kikwang, who were still discussing about the exam.  “How about you guys?”

“Question 21 was a bit hard.  What was your answer?”  Dongwoon said nervously.

“I got 34.”  Kikwang replied.

“Dang it!  I got 36!  What if I don’t get in because of this one question?!”  The maknae was now pacing back and forth, having an emotional breakdown.

“Don’t worry!  I’m sure you’ll do fine.”  I tried to comfort Dongwoon.  It was just one question, how bad could it have been?

We were all chatting happily but suddenly, we all fell silent.  Kikwang’s eyes locked on someone outside the exam room door.  I followed his gaze, and found Yoona coming out of the exam room.  Now all 4 of us were staring at Aerin, and I could feel Yoseob’s eyes were especially hard on Yoona along with the tension I felt through his hands.  Yoseob really hated when people aren’t serious about relationships.  He’s kind of hating on Yoona now for playing with Kikwang’s heart, which I feel horrible about since I can’t tell him about the plan.

Yoona was silently making her way pass us to get to the building’s exit, but Kikwang stepped out and greeted her.

“Annyeong.   How was your entrance exam?”  Kikwang’s voice sounded hopeful, but he kept his volume low to avoid any awkwardness.

For an instant, I saw a glimpse of hurt in Yoona’s sparkling brown eyes, but they quickly transitioned to hateful to match the snotty act Yoona was about to put up.

“None of your business.”  She snapped.  “Now leave me alone.  I have places to be and people to see.”  Yoona flashed a cold look at us and began to walk off.

“Who do you think you are anyway!”  Dongwoon’s comment didn’t come out as a question as he yelled after Yoona, but she didn’t turn back.

“Did Kikwang mean nothing to you?!”  Yoseob’s tone was blazing with anger.  Just when he was about to march off after Yoona and possibly do something he might regret, I caught him and stood my ground in front of him like a shield.

“Let it go!  Kikwang doesn’t want to deal with this right now.”  I turned my head towards the Kikwang who was still standing beside Yoseob, watching the figure of his beloved Yoona leave.

This must’ve been how hurt Kikwang was when Yoona had put up this whole act in front of him.  Tears looked as if they would spill over his eyelid, but he blinked his eyes a few times to prevent them from doing so.  He inhaled a deep breath and put up a quirky face.

“Let’s go.  We should celebrate for doing such a good job on the entrance exams!”  He grinned at us like a fool, but I knew that behind that mask of happiness was a broken heart.

While everybody else hesitated, I spoke up.  “Yeah we should!  Let’s go for ice cream!”  I returned Kikwang’s grin, and began dragging an angry Yoseob out the door, while Kikwang pushed Dongwoon out as well.