Yoona's Story

If Only You Knew

Kikwang’s POV

We were taking a break from our rehearsal when my phone suddenly vibrated in my pocket.  It was a text.

Kikwang, can you please come to the school park right now?

                              - Yoona

For some reason, the text gave me a bad vibe.  I quickly told the guys I had to go, but did not leave them a reason to question me about.  I dashed up the stairs, and nodded at Aerin as I passed by her.

I ran to the school park as fast as my legs could take.  A feeling that something bad has happened circled around me.  Did something happen to Yoona?  Not long after, I reached the park only to see Yoona sitting on a bench with her head down.

“Yoona?”  I quietly walked over.

Yoona looked up at me with tearful eyes.  She is one of the 9 group members in SNSD, a female clique in our school.  Ever since I met her in the beginning of high school, she gave me the impression that she was a fragile and delicate girl.  Yoona would cry at almost anything sad or pitiful.  Even though seeing her tears was common for me, I don’t know when it started, but my heart would begin to wrench in pain whenever I see her cry.  Each drop of tear that falls from her eyes made me feel the urge to comfort her and want to protect her.

“What’s wrong?”  I asked her as I sat next to her on the bench, holding her hand in mine.

For a moment, she didn’t speak.  She then sniffled and cleared .  “Taecyeon called me today.”

My whole body stiffened with anger, but I let my hands remain relaxed in hers.  Taecyeon had graduated 2 years ago, but started dating Yoona when she was in grade 10.  They broke up a couple months ago, but Taecyeon never treated Yoona the way she should be treated.  To me, seeing Taecyeon and Yoona together was like watching a fragile rose be surrounded with powerful thorns.

But that does not matter now, because I am now Yoona’s boyfriend, and Taecyeon is her ex.  It is my responsibility to protect Yoona with all my heart and strength.

“He said that he’s sorry for all the hurt he’s caused me, and he said that he will change.”  Yoona’s unsteady voice cracked between every few words.  “He wants me back.”

The 4 words made me snap my head up from our hands and look straight into Yoona’s eyes.  “Do you still like Taecyeon?”  I choked the words out.

She didn’t reply.

Please Yoona, don’t tell me that you still like him.  He doesn’t deserve you.  You will never be happy with him.  The pain that Taecyeon caused Yoona was so great that he’s scarred her.  He cheated on her on their anniversary.  He constantly flirts with other girls whereas Yoona was not even allowed to speak to her guy friends.  Whenever Yoona wanted to express her mind about things, she was always shut down by him.  Taecyeon, how could you do this to her?

“I don’t know who I can trust anymore.”  Tears streamed down her face.

Without hesitation, I took her head and laid it against my chest.

Don’t do this to yourself.  You don’t need to listen to his lies and endure this pain.  You deserve better than that.  Please, let me give you the happiness you deserve.  I want to be the reason you put a smile on your face every day.  We’ll get through this.  I know we will.