Road to Recovery

If Only You Knew

Aerin’s POV

My vision was blurry for a second, until I blinked my eyes a few times to clear it up.  I looked around my surroundings, realizing that I was in my room.  I glanced at my clothes, and discovered that I was in my large grey T-shirt with white shorts – my usual pajamas.  What happened?  The last thing I remember was that I ran to the park during the middle of the school’s annual Valentine’s Day dance.  Then Yoseob found me and he held me in his arms, before I drifted off to sleep.

After remembering all that, my heart began to hurt again.  The reason why I had run out came flooding back to me.  Kikwang likes Yoona.  I clutched on to my chest and took in a deep breath.  That’s all in the past now.  I should be happy for Kikwang and Yoona.  I painted a smile on my face before walking downstairs for breakfast on a Saturday morning.

“Morning Eomma!”  I called out just before making my way into the kitchen.

“Aerin-ah!  Morning!  Are you feeling better?”  She quickly set down whatever she was doing and wiped her hands on her apron before cupping my face in them.  A look of worry pooled in her dark brown eyes.

“Yes I’m fine.”  I ensured her of my health with a smile.

“Okay.  You seemed totally out last night when Yoseob brought you home.”  She went back to frying vegetables for breakfast while I sat myself down at the kitchen table.

“Yoseob brought me home?”

“Yeah.  I didn’t think the dance ended that early.  Around 8 o’clock last night, he brought you home on his back, wrapping you with a big navy blue jacket.  He didn’t even have a jacket.”

Then I remembered.  When he found me on the bench in the park, he only had 1 jacket with him, and that was the one he used to wrap my in.  What about him then?  He piggybacked me home on a freezing cold night in the middle of February without a jacket?!  That couldn’t have been good.

“So speaking of which, where’s your jacket?”  Mom asked when she placed the side dishes she made for breakfast.  “I didn’t see it when he brought you home.”

OH SHOOT!  I was so shocked at the time that I just ran out without a jacket, but then I never went back for it.  It must be still at the banquet hall!  I sighed at the fact that I’ll probably never get it back.

Ding dong ~

“I’ll get it.”  I made my way to the front, only to see Yoseob standing there with the jacket that I had been whining about when I opened the door.

“I think this belongs to you.”  He handed me the snow white jacket with a sweet smile.

“Thanks, but how’d you get it back?  You were with me the whole time last night.”

“I asked Doojoon to pick it up and bring it back to his house.  Then this morning, I went over to get it.”

“Oh,” I nodded, clutching the jacket tightly in my hands.  “Thanks for everything last night.”  I showed him a shy smile.  Yoseob’s must’ve seen how hideous I looked last night when I cried.  Probably mascara and eyeliner smudged everywhere.  That’s going to be the last time I’ll ever use that stuff.

“No problem.  I just hope you’re feeling better.”  He hesitated for a while, as if to think if what he’s going to say next will upset me.  “Are you going to go to Doojoon’s house today for our practice?”

I had totally forgotten.  Today was Saturday, and BEAST agreed to meet at Doojoon’s place every Saturday to rehearse for the school talent show at the end of the year.  But how can I still go after all that had happened last night?  How can I face him?  Besides, Kikwang probably invited Yoona to watch them practice today.  It’d hurt too much to see the two together, snuggling on the couch and making out.

Yoseob studied my indecisive expression.  “If you don’t want to go, you don’t have to.”  It was as if he had been listening to my mind babbling.  “You can go back when you’re ready to face him again.”

I sighed finally.  “No it’s okay, I’ll go.  I’ll have to face him sooner or later anyway.  Besides, it’ll probably be easier to get over him if I try to see him as nothing more than a friend.”

“Are you sure you want to do this?”  The boy flashed me a worried look in his eyes.  I knew that he was just trying to prevent me from getting hurt again, but I have to get over him someday.  It’s no use if I just avoid him.

“Yup.”  I assured him, and then realized that I’ve been making him stand outside in the cold and talk with me.  “Oh sorry for making you stand outside while we talked.  Come in.  I’ll go change right now.  Be down in a second.”  I led him to the couch to sit down before going upstairs to change.

Yoseob’s POV

Aerin seemed to have recovered a lot from last night.  I knew her heart is broken, and she was probably still in pain right now but just hiding it from me.  But seeing the fact that she’s taking the initiative to move on, it made me realize that Aerin’s no longer the immature 17 year old I met in the beginning of September.  She is now independent, brave, and more mature, but of course, she will always show that little hint of cute immaturity that makes her special.

“Okay I’m ready!”  She came hopping down the stairs wearing a snow white hoodie that matched her winter jacket, and destroyed light wash jeans.  “But just let me tell my mom first.”

“Eomma!”  She called out as she walked into the kitchen.

Something tickled my nose, and I let out a sneeze.  My hands suddenly felt a bit cold, so I tucked them in the pockets of my large sized black Domo zip-up.

“Okay, we’re good to go!”  She swiped her favourite fruit-flavouredlollipop that just happened to be on the counter, and happily danced to the door, waiting for me.

I couldn’t help but smile at her cute immaturity that made me fall in love with her.  Please, let me mend your broken heart.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Sorry that I haven't been updating lately! I've been super busy for the past few days, hardly slept at all :/ anyway, hope you guys enjoyed this newly updated chapter (: