Chapter 22: A Day in Paradise

Professional Dream Catcher

XOXOChapter 22XOXO

-A Day in Paradise-

 

*Hye Kyung's POV*

 

I don't know what time it is but I'm sure that it isn't the right time for someone to be banging on my door. It was still dark, what does he want? Then a sense of deja vu strikes me; this has happened before. Kai brought me out and it had been one of the happiest days of my life but also one of the worst. I put a pillow over my head, go away, but it doesn't. It just gets louder and persistent. Ughh.

 

I roll out of bed and grudgingly open the door only to be dragged out by Chen. My eyes shoot open, wait what? Chen?

 

"Yah. Chen, are you going to troll me? I'm not really-" I didn't finish because I see all of them -yes, all 12 of them- sporting my favorite cartoon outfits.

 

I tried to stop myself from laughing but when they parted to reveal Kai in a costume I couldn't. I burst out laughing, hitting Kris who wore Cosmo (from Fairly Odd parents). It's just too funny. Kai didn't have a light complexion and yet here he was in Pororo's outfit. Tears were starting to form in my eyes and I was already on the floor, clutching my stomach.

 

"We did something right." Kris says.

 

"If someone's laughing like that then I'm sure we did." Lay agrees, nodding.

 

After a few minutes of me catching my breath, I finally ask them.

 

"What's with today huh? Why'd you all dress up like that just to make me laugh?" they just looked at each other then finally Suho spoke.

 

"You're always stressed recently and we just wanted to let you breathe, enjoy besides this is also our thanks to you!" he finishes and when he does, all of them stand up and bow.

 

I also stand up and bow. Clutching Kris' and D.O's arms I ask them "So where to?" they just look at each other smile then lead the way.

 

******

 

The whole day has been nothing but fun and games -just pure un-adultered bonding. We started off with an early breakfast in a small and simple restaurant that served really good tasting waffles, and then they toured me all around Seoul -taking pictures all the way. One of my favorites was when we went to the Teddy Bear Museum. Everything was so cute and fluffy that I couldn't help but pinch whoever was beside me -which most of the time was Kai- he would just look down and stretch my cheeks. There was this time when our faces were so close to each other that I thought we'd kiss, I blush from the memory.

 

Now, we were already at the amusement park just watching a fireworks display. We've already ridden everything and our previous clothes were all wet so we needed to buy new ones -sadly all they bought me was a dress.

 

It was about 11 in the evening when I heard someone -Sehun I think- tell the others that 'it was time'. I turn around to ask them what it was about but only Kai remained, a hand outstretched.

 

"Shall we?" he asks. I do a little curtsy before taking his hand.

 

"Where are you taking me?" I ask him, after a few minutes of walking.

 

"Shh. No questions." he said, smiling.

 

I shrug. He wouldn't budge. We stop in front of a building that looked like a theater and for a few minutes we just stare until he guides me inside, lets me sit in the middle then leaves me. It was dark and I was alone, what's happening?

 

A few minutes later the screen lights up and I see my friends back in High School. They all tell me to reach for my dreams, to stay healthy and happy then they greet me a happy birthday. So that's what this is all about. After my friends in High School and college my eyes grow wide when I see displays of my pictures -particularly my derp faces- I laugh uncontrollably, hitting the armchair.

 

Then the screen goes dark and when it lit up again I see my baby pictures; the slide showed how I 'evolved', how I grew then after the flashbacks that almost pushed me to tears Eun Sang's face shows up - she wished me a happy birthday, she told me that my dream is just an arm's length away then told me to expect something more when I get home. I didn't want to cry but when Dong Mi's face takes the screen the tears that I prevented from falling fell. He started just by looking at the camera straight on, creating the illusion that he was looking at me.

 

"Hi Rae. -he starts and I smile, he's one of the few people I allowed to call me that- It's been how many years since we knew each other and it's been a roller coaster ride. You're the craziest and unique person I know, you should stay that way. I doubt anyone can change you anyway, many have tried and none succeeded instead you end up changing them, something you don't even know you can do. I remember our high school memories, all those embarrassing things you did. Singing out loud even though you were out of tune, dancing like you were just released from the mental hospital but you didn't care, smiling with no reason at all. I still have every video with me and I can totally use it. -He jokes- but seriously, you're exquisite and nobody else is like you. Trust me, I've tried searching. Maybe that's the reason I fell for you and I know that you'll never see me that way but I can't help but hope that maybe, just maybe you'll feel the same that way. Anyway, Happy Birthday my little princess. Take care and don’t change." the screen goes black and I feel the tears streaming down my face. I knew how he felt, how he saw me but I never could see all the things someone could possibly love about me.

 

Before I could scream for them to come out my family pops up on the screen, doing what they did best, being awkward and I laugh.

 

"Kyon Rae-ah, you've been doing your best for us but I don't show you how much that means to us instead I often scold you. I'm sorry, I just don't want you to get hurt or suffer and I know I should've portrayed it better. I want you to know that I love you and I now know that you can face whatever comes your way. Stay strong Rae, we will always be here for you, we love you and Happy Birthday." my mom says then the camera focuses on my dad who was clearing his throat several times before speaking.

 

"You know I don't say much but I've always told you that I know you can do anything you want to when you set your mind to it and I wasn't wrong. Look at you now, you can practically raise your own family but you choose to support us and only us instead. I've always asked for a good daughter and you guys gave me that. Thank you. Happy Birthday Kyon Rae, stay safe and be happy. It's your time to enjoy life." I was shocked; my dad actually gave me a speech. I laugh again when I see my sister struggling for the camera to focus on her. She gives me her warm smile and then gives me her wishes but her last statement catches my attention.

 

"I know you best of all people and I know how the world pushed you to think that love -for you- is just fiction. I know that given the choice, you would never open your heart again but unnie, how can you know that when you've never let yourself fall again? Remember that you'll never know who the right one is until you decide to risk yourself again. It's just how love works." The presentation ends and everything goes silent. I close my eyes and let myself think. My sister is right, I've been too afraid to fall again and I'm not sure if the time will come when that someone is so worth that I'd be willing to let myself fall again.

 

I jerk up when I hear the clock strike twelve; I look around and stop when I see a familiar figure. I squint to see who it was since it was dark and just then the lights go on -blinding me for a moment- when my eyes have finally adjusted I see Kai in a suit with a bouquet of blue roses and forget-me-nots on one hand.

 

"Mind if I have this dance?" he asks, hands outstretched.

 

"We don't have a song to dance to." I start to argue but he just smiles and waits for me to take his hand and I do. He gives me the flowers and I smile.

 

"The clock already twelve, shouldn't this end?" I ask, after a few minutes of comfortable silence.

 

"This isn't a fairy tale. This is reality and it won't end unless you want it too." he whispers and in those words I found warmth I never thought I could feel.

 

Maybe my sister was right. I should allow myself to fall, allow myself to risk getting hurt because if he's the one then I'm sure everything will be worth it. Right? 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

and another one. :)) so forgive me for the long wait? hihihi

xoxoxo Kyon Seul