Chapter 14: Knowing doesn't stop one from Trying

Professional Dream Catcher

XOXOChapter 14XOXO

-Knowing doesn't stop one from Trying-

*Dong Mi's POV

 

It was about 2:10 in the morning when my phone beeps. I was still awake finishing a job and my phone was within arm’s reach. I smile when I see who it is -rival- it read and he wants to talk.

 

Minutes later another beep.

 

"I'm cranky. This crazy girl woke me up, forcing me to come out and talk. Aissh. She should have food waiting for me. -K." I reply then smile. This girl has a habit of texting me when she's irritated.

 

I'm not blind nor am I dumb. I know that Hye Kyung didn't see me that way years before and it still stands up till now. So why am I doing this? Maybe it's my confidence that whatever happens she'd still choose me even if it's not for the reason I'd like or maybe it's because I still have hope that she'd see me differently and I know that's stupid but what can a man do other than try?

 

I reply then stare at my phone's wallpaper. It was a collaged picture of her back in college, I wasn't the one who put it there -she did, it was her habit- and I smile. Her hair was tied all the way up, her face completely devoid of any products and four of her favorite 'faces' was what my wallpaper looked like. I also had some video of her back in college, it wasn't only her though, we were with the whole gang and when I watch it I always laugh. We looked so happy and it seems to be like in that moment we really believed it wouldn't ever end.

 

I place my phone in my pocket and walk out. It was still early when I got there so I just picked a seat, ordered some coffee and fiddled with my phone while I waited. I was scanning through some of her newer pictures when he sat in the empty seat in front of me. After a few moments of silence I sigh and speak still fiddling with my phone.

 

"So. You called me out here to stare at me?" I say and he scoffs.

 

"No, I called you here to let you know that I'm going to give it my best and win her." he says and I can't help but smile. I slide my phone towards him and he seems to be confused.

 

"I thought we already established that? Except the last statement that 'you'll win'. Look at my phone and tell me, who she is." I tell him while he fiddled with my phone and furrowed his brows when he saw my wallpaper.

 

"She looks familiar..." he tells himself more than me.

 

"Of course she does, that's Hye Kyung. Just because she almost always looks neat and pretty with you guys doesn't mean she is. Scroll through my gallery." I tell him and he does. I hear the video start, she was singing 'I'm into you by Paramore' and I smile at the memory.

 

We were chilling in a friend's house and she ended up singing some songs because she just couldn't help it. When the video finished he slid my phone towards me.

 

"I already know that you guys knew each other from years ago, do you really need to rub it in my face?" he tells me. I laugh.

 

"You're missing the whole point, what I'm trying to make you see is this. You're telling me you like her and yet, you don't even know every side she has and so I'm helping you. You should know what you're going into just like I know mine. She's moody; might be sweet then be mean the next minute. She's a handful and before you claim to even like her, you should accept who she is because she won't change for anyone and no one would like that anyway." I tell him not because I wanted to help him but because it was the truth.

 

"Ah. I know." he answers, an emotion that couldn't be read on his face.

 

It was already 5:30 in the morning and I received a text.

 

"Aish. This girl really, she called me out so early in the morning just to let me hear her self-pity and accuse me of things I don't even know I did. -.-" I need banana milk. -K”

 

"You should go. Hye Kyung is on her way to your dorm and you wouldn't want her knowing about this. Or would you?" I tell him, getting ready to stand up.

 

"She texts you? At this hour?" he asks, stopping me from walking.

 

"Of course she does. She texts me any time she wants to." I answer him. I was about to go out the store when I call out to him.

 

"Oh and bring banana milk, she's a bit cranky." then I go back home.

 

I know by telling him the things I did will help him in capturing her heart, it may even look like I already gave her up but that isn't the case. I already know how this will end, I know what's in her heart and what I'm doing will help me ensure her happiness, even if it means that I won't be the one by her side.

 

*Hye Kyung's POV*

 

It was 2:30 in the morning when my phone sang. I sluggishly reach for my phone and answer.

 

"Yoboseyo?" I answer, still half asleep.

 

"Get out of bed you lazy girl." a venomous voice on the other end tells me. I look at the caller id to find out that it was an unknown number.

 

"Uhmm. Who is this?" I ask, still sleepy.

 

"Soo Jin." those two words caught my attention... For a moment.

 

"What do you want?" I ask her, yawning.

 

I shouldn't have asked because the moment I did she didn't stop talking. She ranted on and on about things I didn't really hear. My ear was already hot and I was tired.

 

"Stop. Just stop. I'll go. Okay? I'll go. Just tell me where." I tell her, getting up from the bed.

 

I texted Dong Mi, just a force of habit really. I feel safe with the guy and I don't really know why.

 

So here I am, out of the very comfortable bed, in a coffee shop 5 blocks away from the dorm. Staring at Soo Jin who was still made up.

 

"Don't you ever just get comfortable? Put on a pair of jeans, a simple shirt and no make-up?" I ask her. She was still in a dress, not one hair out of place.

 

"This is comfortable besides oppa might see Me." she answers.

 

"So... What now?" I was still sleepy and if I could sleep on the table, I would.

 

"You should stop being so close to Jongin. You're trying to steal him away from me and I worked so hard. I sacrificed many things. You should pack up and leave or you should just dump him." she answers so bluntly. I laugh. Is this girl for real?

 

"Okay, okay. First, we're not that close. Ask the other member specifically Kris and D.O. Second, I'm not trying to steal anyone and besides how can I steal someone who isn't owned by anyone? Third, I sacrificed many things too and that's why I'm here right now. I didn't go here to chase them, I'm here because my job calls for it and that's not something I would give up. Ever. Oh and how can I dump someone who isn't even courting me? Come on Soo Jin-shi, your being delusional. Are we through? I'm really sleepy." I tell her. I didn't want to come off as rude but she called me out then accuse me of things I didn't even know I did then she's pushing me.

 

"You don't understand. You've never been in-love before, have you? I'm ready to give everything up. My career, my luxuries, everything if that meant he'd be mine. I love him that much." she tells me, her eyes were already puffy but it the tears won't stop.

 

"I'm sorry but that isn't love. It's closer to obsession than love. I have never been in-love? Tch. I have but it was so long ago. Love is pure; it's not like what you just described. What you have is selfishness and that will never be an attribute of love." I pause but then she speaks again.

 

"What do you know?! How are you so sure that what I feel isn't real? Huh? Are you that great?" she yells at me and other customers look, I apologize. This girl is trying to make a scene.

 

"I pity you. You're so desperate. Before others get to love you, you should love yourself first and that means respecting yourself. You keep chasing a guy who has clearly rejected you. You're degrading yourself. If someone doesn't like you then move on. Sure it'll hurt but somewhere out there, there's a guy who's trying his very best to get the chance the other guy tossed out and he's going to be worth it." I lecture her and after that she cries.

 

She cries and rants while I just listened. Maybe that's what she really needs, someone who'll listen. After hours and hours of snot and mumbled words we say good bye.

 

"Hye Kyung-shi, thank you... I'll find myself before I try again but promise me will you? Promise me that you won't let Jongin get hurt too much?" she asks me smiling then before I could answer she turns around then walks away.

 

I text Dong Mi one more time, I was still sleepy but I feel like once I go back I won't be able too. I was supposed to buy banana milk when I realized that I had left my wallet. Aish. Pabo. So I just walk back to the dorm. When I was just about to enter someone called my name.

 

"Hye Kyung!" I whip my head to the direction and see Kai running, a plastic bag in his hand.

 

"Kai-shi, what are you doing out so early?" I ask him and instead of answering he raises the plastic bag, smiles then says.

 

"Banana milk?" I couldn't help but grin.

 

We walk inside and sprawl on the carpet.

 

"Wahh. Perfect timing, I'm craving for this." I tell him and we just talked about the most random things possible. When we laughed we would cover each other mouths or we would do silent laughs because we might wake the others up. It was a moment I'd always remember because it felt like for once, everything was in place. Later my lids couldn't hold it anymore and I slept. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hehehehe. Hello.. Once agin, an update. XD This one is short, Mianhe! :(( Hope you still like it though! :)) Comment. Subscribe. Add me. :*

xoxoxo Kyon Seul