Ch. 8: I don't Like It (Yoona)

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

          Strolling up to him with mighty speed, Yoona unsatisfied stopped in front of him, and stares into his dark brown and sharp eyes of his, waiting for him to explain himself why he treated Siwon rudely in front of her. Taecyeon ignore her, minding his own business as he looks at the books on the shelves. Truly he didn’t want to tell her that he do not like the look of Siwon, and especially, how close she was to Siwon. Yoona followed him to the next aisle, like Tom and Jerry; she did not stop till she gets an answer. Taecyeon irritatedly finally stop, turn his body, he face her.

            “What?” He was annoyed by her chased.  

            With her arms crossed she looks upsetly looks at him, “What was that earlier?” Yoona asked.

            “What was what?” Taecyeon pretending he doesn’t know what’s she is talking about.

            “You know what I mean.” Yoona further question him. “How could you talk to him like that?”

            “Why does it concern you?” Taecyeon asked with a dull face, trying to hide his unhappy face.

            “Because he’s my dearest friend. I don’t like it when you treat him that way.” Yoona frustratedly said. “I don’t like it when you treat people the way you treat me. It’s fine you treat me like that, but to him, at least give him some respect.”

            Taecyeon angrily grinned his teeth as his stares filled with rage. Just hearing how much she cherish Siwon annoys him. “I don’t care who your friend is. I don’t care about your friends. I treat everybody the same, whether it’s you, your omma, or appa. This is who I am. If you don’t like it, then don’t. It’s doesn’t bother me. It doesn’t change or affect me at all.” He was in rage just thinking how she would complaint to him just because he treated her male friend badly. Just staring into her eyes, he sees water evolving; he strikes her again, hurting her. “Get out my way.”

            “No.” Yoona glared at him in anger. “If it doesn’t to you then it does to me. I want you to change. I want you to be friendlier, more open. I don’t like it when you look so cold. I don’t like it when you are locking yourself from people. I don’t like the way you act at all.” Yoona expressed her unhappiness.

            “Fine. Don’t like it then. I didn’t force you to like me.” Said Taecyeon carelessly. “I don’t need you to like me at all. I don’t need the world to like me. You are nothing to me. We are not even family, so don’t go around introducing me as your brother. You are just a girl that lives under the same roof as me. You are nothing but a stranger to me.” Taecyeon unable to control his jealousy, he spoke all the hurtful words to her.

             Taecyeon walks away, leaving her standing there hurt by his words. Yoona hurtfully watches him for a moment before she looks straight ahead of her, trying to hold her tears back. However, it was unsuccessful. A couple tears escape, she quickly wipes it away with her hands one time before freely letting it rolls down her cheeks. Taecyeon, who stood across the room in the bookstore, caught tears strolling down her cheeks. Exhales deeply, he curses himself for making her cry again. Unable to control himself, he walks back to her—grab her left arm—turn her around—and pull her into his embrace. He embraces her tightly in his arms. Astound by his action yet felt his warmness, Yoona cries on his shoulder. Wrap his arms tightly around her, letting her hit him a couple time before she surrender.

            “Why are you always like this? Why do you keep closing yourself every time you give me hope?” Yoona utters in tears. “I don’t like it. I don’t like it when you are like this. I just want you to be happy. I just want you to be love.”

            Unable to explain to her his feeling, he could only embrace her tightly in his arms at moment. Comfort her; beg her to forgive through action. Grabbed onto his jacket, Yoona continues to cry on his shoulder as times pass. The moment Yoona tears finally come to an end, she realize how warm and calm she felt in his arms. No strength to push him away, she let her heart takes over and motionlessly stand in his arms.

* * *

            Hours have pass, Taecyeon and Yoona remain silent as they awkwardly shops in the mall. After the embrace in the bookstore, Yoona felt herself forgiving him again. Walking the way down to the main floor, Yoona secretly glances at him. Taecyeon kept a dull face during the whole shopping trip, not speaking a word to her nor dare to looks at her, fearing that it will show his weak side to her. Mrs. Im waves her hand at them after seeing them taking the escalator down. Taecyeon and Yoona walk up to Mrs. Im.

             “So what did you two buy?” Mrs. Im asked.

            “Books.” Said Yoona. “And maybe some clothes.”

            “Did you have enough money?” Mrs. Im asked.

            Yoona glance at Taecyeon before answering Mrs. Im, “Taecyeon paid everything for me.” She said.

            Mrs. Im smiles, “Thank you Taecyeon. How much does Yoona owe you? I’ll pay you back.” She asked.

            “It’s fine.” Taecyeon calmly answered.

            His tone surprises her, leaving Mrs. Im speechless.

            “Um… thank you.” Mrs. Im stuttered in surprise.

            “Let me carry it for you.” Taecyeon offered helps.

            Before Mrs. Im could answer, Taecyeon grabs the bags from her hand.

            “Wait it’s heavy.” Mrs. Im tried to stop him.

            “It’s not that heavy.” Said Taecyeon.

            “Okay, thank you.” Mrs. Im said.

            “Are you done shopping?” Yoona asked.

            “Yes. I’m done.” Mrs. Im said. “It’s evening now. Just right in time to get dinner started.”

            “Okay.” Said Yoona quietly.

            The three of them walks out of the mall with Taecyeon leading the way back to the car.

            “Did something happen when you went shopping with Taecyeon?” Mrs. Im curiously asked.

            Yoona snatch a glance at Taecyeon, remembering his warm embrace back at the bookstore. The warm feeling she felt when she was in his arms. “Nothing.” She lied.

            “Are you sure? There is no way he can change that fast.” Said Mrs. Im in disbelief.

            Yoona glance at Taecyeon again, remembering the words he said to her.

            “If you want me to change… it’s going to be hard. I’ve been like this for years. There are times I really want to open myself, but I don’t have the courage to do so. Locking myself, I feel safe. It’s the only way I can face the world everyday.” Said Taecyeon. “So please… please don’t lose hope in me.”

            “Yes I’m sure.” Yoona lied again.

            “Oh Okay.” Mrs. Im simply said.

            Taecyeon open the trunk and stack the bags in the back. Yoona walks up to him and handed him the remaining bags. Taecyeon grabs the handle, accidentally grabbed her hand. Yoona cheeks roses red the moment Taecyeon hand is over her. She quickly withdraws her hands and step into the car. Taecyeon sadly look down for a second before he closed the trunk and walks to the driver seat. Starting his car, he backs away carefully from his slot then hit the main street after paying for his parking spot. On their way home, Mr. Ok called Mrs. Im; they have their little ‘own world’ conversation. Taecyeon attention goes to the streets, stopping on a red light, turning left and right. Yoona stay silent in the backseat, secretly glancing at him through the rear mirror as she recalls the words he said to her.

            “So please…. Please don’t lose hope in me.” Taecyeon voice whispered inside her head. “How can I?” Yoona questioned herself in her head. “If I lose hope in you, who else can help you escape?”

             Arrive in the front of their house, Taecyeon parked in the garage before turning off the car engine and walk to the back of the trunk. Mrs. Im was only to allow to carries to grocery bags after she successfully pursue him to let her help. Once Mrs. Im walks into the house, Yoona walks over to Taecyeon.

            “Just go in. I’ll carry the rest.” Said Taecyeon without looking at her.

            “Let me help you. There are a lot of bags.” Said Yoona.

            “Then help me close the trunk once I grabbed everything out.” Said Taecyeon in a dull tone.

            Yoona stand aside, waiting for him. Once he grabbed the last bag out of the car, Yoona close the door and follows him into the house. Down the hall into the kitchen, he places the bags on the dinning table.

            Mrs. Im walks over to help him and Yoona sorts out the items, she notices that it is all women stuffs. “Taecyeon-ah, did you buy anything for yourself?” Mrs. Im asked.

            “No.” Taecyeon gave her a short answer. “I’ll be in my room.” He lightly bowed his head to Mrs. Im before leaving the room.

            Yoona watches him leave sadly before she helps her mom sort the food on the counter.

            “Wow this is a lot of textbooks. It must cost a lot.“ Said Mrs. Im as she places book after book on the table.

            “Yeah.” Yoona quietly said.

            “Are you excite for class tomorrow?” Mrs. Im asked. “I wonder will you have any classes with Taecyeon.”

            “I didn’t get to see his schedule. He didn’t buy the books yet so I don’t know what class he has.” Yoona answered.

            “But anyway, it was nice to see Siwon again.  Do you know what hotel he works at?” Mrs. Im asked.

            Yoona nodded her head. “Yes I do.” She answered.

            “Go visit him sometime.” Mrs. Im smiles at her.

            “Omma…” Yoona pouted.

            “Don’t act shy. I know you like since the first day you two met. He’s your first crush isn’t it?” Said Mrs. Im. “It just that none of you confess yet.”

            Standing by the stair, he heard everything—every singles words clearly. A burning strikes inside his heart urge to burst out as he lean against the wall.

            Taecyeon hurtfully smiles as he place his right hand at his left chest, feeling his heart beating in pain. “So this is what people call ‘jealousy’. So this is how it feels. Very uncomfortable and uneasy.” Taecyeon whispered in his head.

           

To be continue………………………