Ch. 43: Walk Away

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

            Four hours have passed since Taecyeon was treated at the hospital .Waiting for him to wake up from this unconsciousness, Suzy discovered the truth about Taecyeon illness. Taecyeon finally move his fingers and slowly open his eyes. He blink a couple times and looks around the place.

             “Where am I?” Taecyeon asked in a weak tone.

             Hearing his voice, the two of them jolt to him like lightening. Suzy grab his head and smiles in relief.

             “Oppa, you’re awake.” She said.

             “You’re at the hospital. You didn’t have medicine with you and I could take you home because you black out, so I took you the closest hospital by the river.”

             “Get me out of here.” Said Taecyeon.

             “No, you have to stay. The doctor say you need to stay and get treated.” Said Suzy.

             Taecyeon stubbornly sat up, move his lip to the end of the bed. “I don’t to stay here.” He said. He stood and walk to the closet.

             “You can’t keep running away.” Said Seulong. “The doctor said your condition is getting worst, you need to stay.”

             “Even if I stay, they can’t help.” Said Taecyeon as he put on his shirt and jacket.

             “Oppa, please stay.” Suzy begged. “The illness is worsen. Please oppa, please stay. You don’t have much time.”  

             Taecyeon turn around and look at them. “I know my time. I know how time I have left.” He said.

             “Where are you gonna now?” Seulong asked. “Back to work?”

             “Yes.” Said Taecyeon.

             “You do know Yoona is looking for you right?” Said Seulong.

             “Did you tell her I was here?” He asked.

             Seulong stood silent as he sharply looked at Taecyeon in the eyes.

             “Did you?”

             “No I didn’t.”

             Taecyeon heart was at ease.

             “Why don’t you want Yoona to know about this?” Suzy asked. “Don’t you love her? Even if she know about this, I don’t think she will even about to take a second and considered it. She has Siwon now.”

             Seulong annoyingly looked at Suzy. “Would you shut up about it?”

             “What? I speaking the truth. Both you and I saw what happen at the cafeteria. She defended him.” Suzy making her point. “So even if he tell her, I don’t think she even care.”

             “I have my reason. Beside, this is my business.” Said Taecyeon.

             “It’s also my business.” Said Seulong. “We grew up together, we do things together. We plan graduating together but now……..”

             “I’m sorry.” Taecyeon guiltily looked at him.

             “Taecyeon oppa…”

             “Don’t bother. I’ve tried convincing him already. He won’t listen.”

             “But still…. he will die if he….”

             “Graduation is in a week.” Seulong change the subject. 

             “I’ll be there.” Said Taecyeon.

             “Don’t bring gift. If you want, then go get treated. That’s what I want for a gift….my brother to be well.” Said Seulong.   

             Taecyeon could only give him a straight face as an answer. He eyes switched to Suzy who is frighten and worried for him. “Thank you.”

             “For what? I did nothing. I couldn’t even talk you out of killing yourself.” Said Suzy.

             “For caring.” Said Taecyeon. “Promise me, you won’t tell anybody.”

             “Then get treated.” Said Suzy.

             “Please.”

             Suzy hesitate to answered, but surrender to his sad and hopeless eyes. She nodded agreeably.

* * * *

             A week have passed, graduation is finally here. Out in the open park next to the school fills with families and friends. Yoona and Sooyoung are in the crowd making their way to the front seat on the left side.

“Wow so many people here.” Said Sooyoung as she excitedly looks around the place.

Wearing a loose comfortable dress, Yoona weakly smiles as she walks with Sooyoung to their seat.

“Cheer up. We will find him. He can’t hide forever.” Said Sooyoung confidently.

“It’s almost a month and I haven’t heard from him.” Said Yoona sadly. “I miss him dearly.”

Sooyoung sighed. “I know.”

Suzy arrived five minutes later and straight to her seat in the front on the right side. The Dean walks up to the podium and lower the microphone to her lips.

             “The ceremony is about to start, may I please have everybody to their seat?” The Dean speak over the microphone.

             Upon the Dean request, the crowd immediately respond to their seat. The student make an entrance, walking the aisle to their assigned seat at the very front.

             “May I please have the president of the class come up and make a speech.” Said the Dean.

             The president of the class walks up the stair to the stage, standing behind the podium, she looks at the audiences and smiles gracefully before she begin her speech. “What a perfect weather today. Thank you everybody for coming here today. Well, we finally did it class. We made it through college, and now, the rest of our journey in our hand. We will now enter the real world.” The audience delighted smiles as they listen to the speech for another ten minutes. A loud claps echoes the field as the Supervisor and Dean stood at each end with a microphone in their hand. 

             Taecyeon arrive just in time for the name call before the ceremony end. Standing under the tree, watching one by one go up the stage, shake hands, and get their diploma, his eyes shift over to Yoona, a beautiful Yoona in light color dress seating across the field. He knew she would come to the graduation, and it was purpose to come today…to see her. He misses her, wanting to embrace her, and tell her he love her, but he refrain himself from doing so. “Yoona.”  Just like an idiot being in love for the first time, Taecyeon stand under the tree and watches her from a distant much closer than those day she searched for him. 

             “Im Seulong.” The Dean called his name.

             The family jolt and claps loudly. Taecyeon shift his attention to Seulong and happily claps for him. Seulong got his diploma, walks down the stair on the right side, and stop. He look to his right and see Taecyeon standing under the tree with his thumb up. The Dean and Supervisor make their final speeches before ending the ceremony. The audience stands up and give a round of applaud to the student. The students’ looks at each other happily, grab the tip of their cap, and shout “Hurray!” loudly as they threw the cap up in the sky. Seulong step out of the excitement and head to Taecyeon. Suzy follow them.     

             “You made it.” Said Seulong as he walk up to him.

             “You’re not going to join the celebration?”

             Seulong shook his head no.  “Maybe because I’m too old for this.” He jokingly said. “It would have been better if you were up there with me.”

             Taecyeon silently looks away.

             “How are you feeling oppa?” Suzy worriedly asked.

             “I’m fine.” Said Taecyeon. “I have to go now.”

             “That fast? You were only here for like fifteen minutes.” Said Suzy.

             “I have to go to work. The company need me back in an hour.” Said Taecyeon.

             “Fine, I’ll give you a ride back.” Said Seulong.

             “No, it’s okay. Your family is here, you should stay and celebrate with them. And so you too, Suzy. You cousin want you there, not with me.”

             Suzy sighed and smiles, “You’ve change so much. I don’t even which Taecyeon I’m talking too. The sweet and gentle or the cold and mean Taecyeon.”

             Taecyeon force a smile to lighten her up.

             “Yoona is also here.”

             Taecyeon sadly looks over at her. “I know. I can see her from here.”

             “I’ll walk with you the bus stop.” Said Suzy.

             Taecyeon nodded. Together with Seulong, they walk Taecyeon to the bus stop.

             “Taecyeon oppa.”

             A familiar voice echoes in his ears as his heart beat anxiously fast. He recognize this voice. She have seen him. She have come to him.

             “I finally see you again.” Yoona happily said as she walks to him. “Why didn’t you come find me? Why didn’t you come talk to me?”

             Taecyeon nervously gulp as his back face her.

             “Where have you been? Do you know I’ve been looking for you? I gone almost everywhere looking for you, but I can’t find you anywhere. I feel as if the closer I get to you, the farther you hide from me. Why?” Yoona voice tremble as her feet comes to a stop. “I have so many things to say you?”

             “But I don’t.” Taecyeon coldly said. “There’s nothing to talk about. You have drawn a clear line in between us.” 

             His cold tone was like a knife piercing her heart as she face his back. Yoona grab onto Taecyeon left arm and turn his body around so she could see his face.

             “Taecyeon oppa…..”

             Taecyeon place his hand over hers and takes her hand off him. “Then why would you look for me? You don’t love me. You’ve never love me. Aren’t you tired of me?” The cruel left his mouth as he stare coldly into her eyes. “Siwon was the one… from the beginning, remember?”

             “Oppa….I didn’t mean it….”

             “I’m not an idiot that will fall the third times. I’m not an idiot that will let you play with me like a toy. If you want, go look somewhere else…because I’m tired of your game.” Tears begin rolling down her cheeks as she looks into his taciturn eyes. His harsh words hurt her as well as himself. It was the only she will forget about him.

 “Are you out of your mind? How could you say those words to her?” Sooyoung shouted at him.

             “It is the truth! She loves him more! I’m just someone she use to replace him when she misses him!” Taecyeon uncontrollably and loudly speak. “I’m not an idiot.”

             “Everything we’ve done together are real.”

             “Don’t lie to me.” Said Taecyeon.

             “I’m not!”

             “You told me you don’t love me. At the cafeteria, you choose to believe Siwon over me. Everything you do and say are all for others…you put others before me. It tells me that from the beginning I was never in your heart. I’ve never held a position in your heart.”

             “I’m sorry oppa.”

             “How can I believe you?”

              “Did you know she have search for you day and night?” Said Sooyoung.

             “What make you so sure that she’s looking for me and not someone else? Are you sure she’s not going on a date with some other g—…”

             “She went looking for you!” Said Sooyoung loudly.

             He looks at her coldly, “I’m here now. What do you want from me? Another game? What am I going to do this time? Be your fake lover, so you can get Siwon attention again? Or maybe you to him—“

             Yoona slap him across the face. “Are you done?” She said.

             Taecyeon froze for a moment before he looked at her again. “Thank you for the slap. Was this slap for you or… for Siwon?”

             “Stop.” Said Yoona in a hurtful tone. “I don’t know why you’re doing? I don’t know what happen to you? Every words you said as if you was targeting Siwon…blaming me. I just want the old Taecyeon that I used to love back.”

             “That Taecyeon is gone. You pushed him away. If you want someone to love then go find Siwon, you first love.” Taecyeon took a step back and hold Suzy hand. “I’ve found mine. She’s thousand time better than you. At least she’s faithful.” Every tears that rolls down her cheeks was a knife stabbing his heart, ripping him into pieces.

             Taecyeon turned and face Suzy. “Suzy, thank you for being by my side all this time.” Taecyeon pull her into his embrace. “I’m sorry, but please help this ones.” He whispered to her ear. Suzy looks at Yoona, who watching them in tears. She grabs onto his jacket, Taecyeon move back and looks into her eye with his pleading yet guilty eyes. He move his head down and kiss her lips.

             Yoona froze in shock as her heart drop dead. Sooyoung and Seulong was speechless. Wiping her tears away, Yoona forcefully smiles. Taecyeon break the kiss, but did turn to look at Yoona, fearing it weaken his heart.

             “I am really happy for you oppa. I'm really happy that you finally found someone you give your heart too.” Said Yoona in tears. “And I hope….. I hope you are happy with the person you love.”

             “Thank you. I will.” Taecyeon cogently said.

             Yoona turn around and wipe her tears away before she walks away. Sooyoung angrily glared at Taecyeon, “hmph” She stomp her angry feet before she runs to Yoona. Taecyeon grin his teeth as he grip his hand together tightly. “Mianhe Yoona, Please forget me.”

 

To be continue…………………………..