Ch. 11: You Smile

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

           In the medical room, Yoona worriedly and nervously watches the nurse treat Taecyeon wound. Taecyeon silently bare the pain as the nurse applies liquid over the cut before she place the trauma pad over it and wrap the gauze over it.

            “Luckily it’s not deep or else it will be troublesome. I would have to sent you to the hospital.” Said the nurse. “But you still have to be careful. In weather like this, it is easy to get your wound infected. Make sure you wash your wound every night.” Said the nurse. The nurse turn and look at Yoona, “How about you? Are you hurt anywhere?” She asked.

            Yoona shook her head, “I’m fine. I’m not hurt at all.” She said.

            “Okay. If you need anything, just dial the number next to the phone.” Said The nurse. Yoona nodded. The nurse smiles carries the dirty bin with her, she walks out of the room, giving Yoona and Taecyeon private time. The door shut, Yoona walks up to him.  

            “Does it still hurt?” Yoona concernly asked. “I’m sorry for causing you trouble on the first day.”

            “I’m fine. You didn’t do anything wrong. There’s just someone playing you.” Taecyeon said. It was true, and he got good damn feeling whom it was.

            “How did you know I would be near the library?” Yoona asked.

            Taecyeon tensely looks at her; he didn’t want to tell her that he purposed followed her because he fears she will be hurt again. And he was right; she was about get hurt again. “Seulong wanted to rent a book from the library.” He lied to her. “So we just happen to pass by.”

            Yoona disappointedly nodded her head. “So it was just a coincident.” She whispered.

            “Promise me you won’t tell appa and omma about this… about my arm.” He asked her a favored.

            Yoona nodded, agreeing to him. “Thank you.” She softly said. “Thank you for saving me again.”

            “No problem.” He said. “Do you know them? Do you know who wanted to hurt you?” he inquisitively asked.

            Yoona shook her head. “Today is my first day. I don’t know anybody but you, Seulong, and Sooyoung. I’m positive it’s not Sooyoung, she and I have been best friend for years.” She defensively said.

            “I will find out who’s behind this.” He suspiciously thinks of Yuri and Suzy. He knew Yuri dislike Yoona and had caught her pushing Yoona into the river. So it lead him to think that Yuri can be a part of this.

            “No, don’t.” Yoona object.

            Taecyeon surprisingly looks at her. “Why?” He asked. “They nearly hurt you.”

            “Because… because I don’t want anymore problem. I don’t want any more trouble. I don’t want you hurt because of me.” Yoona unpredictable thoughtfulness shocks him. She can forgive so easily, like she forgave Yuri in just minutes after he brought her back to the camp. “If chasing out the leader get you hurt again, then I rather you not at all.”

            “How can you easily let this go?” He confusedly asked her.

            “How can you still hold grudge?” She simply asked him back.

            Her question leaves him amazed. She takes a couple steps forward and carefully held his left arm up. “My goal is to live peacefully. If you learn to forgive, you learn to be strong.” Purely looking into his eyes, she smiles through her red puffy eyes. “So, please don’t.”

            Taecyeon warmly smiles as he stands up. He gently pats the back of her head lightly. Yoona heart skips a couple beat, blushing after he patted the back of her head. Her characters make him like her even more, but he could not show it to her. He could not express his feeling to her without fearing of loosing her.  “I won’t. You really are different.” He commented her.

            Taecyeon smiles caught Yoona by surprise. She couldn’t believe it. He smiles for the first time to her. Giving her a different view of him in her mind—more gentle and thoughtful.  “You—you smile.” She happily stuttered. “Oppa you smiles.”

            Taecyeon quickly wipe the smiles of his face and put on his poker face. “Anyways, tell me why did you cry? The first you cried was because I was hurt you. The second time you cried was because you said I made you happy. And now the third time you cry……”

            “Because you are hurt.” Yoona finished the sentenced for him. “I usually don’t cry that much, but since the day I’ve come back from Japan and met you, everything is different…” She stopped when she suddenly realized something strange. Her feeling—her personality—her life has all slowly changed. It’s true that she’s not a crybaby, but these past weeks, she have cry a lot. Could it be?

            Frozen like a statue in a midst of answering him, he knew she was hiding something from him. He knew she was stopping herself from telling him something he wanted to hear.

            Yoona let go of his arm with her head nervously looking at the floor. “Sooyoung is still waiting for me. I have to go check on her.” She rushed out of the room, leaving Taecyeon standing forlornly and sadly in the room alone.

            The moment the door shut, Yoona step aside and lean against the wall. She placed her right hand at her chest and shook her head couple before breathing in and out deeply; she calms and clears her mind. “Im Yoona, he is your brother. You can’t have any further thoughts about him. You like Siwon oppa. Forget Taecyeon oppa. He is your brother.” Repeating those words inside her head a couple times, she forces her heart to push the image of Taecyeon out. Successfully calming herself, she went to look for Sooyoung and Seulong in the main lobby of the medical office.

* * *

              After Seulong drop Sooyoung home first, he drove over to Taecyeon and park his car in the driveway. Seulong planned to hang out at Taecyeon place for bit before heading home. Walking into the house, Taecyeon covers his left arm with his jacket. Taking off their outside footwear and put on slippers. Mrs. Im heard the door shut, she went to the front sees Taecyeon and Yoona arrived home together wait a new man behind them.

            “Annyoung ahjumma.” Seulong greeted her with a ninety-degree bow. Mrs. Im smiles as she looks at the tall handsome men. “I’m Seulong, Taecyeon’s friend.”

            Mrs. Im raises her eyebrows in surprises, “Jjinja? It’s great to hear Taecyeon have a friend.” She said. “Nice to meet you.”

            “Yeah, not very much people like to be his friend, but me, I’ve been his friend since elementary school.” Said Seulong.  

            “That’s good to hear you two have been friends since childhood.” Said Mrs. Im pleasantly. “So how was school today?” She asked.

            “It went well up till…..”

            Taecyeon grabbed Seulong arm, stopping him from giving any further detail. Yoona glances at Taecyeon.

            “It was…was good.” Seulong refrained himself from telling Mrs. Im everything. “Um… Taecyeon, Yoona, and I have two classes together. So it will be fun.” Seulong tries to erase the suspicious feeling off Mrs. Im.

            Taecyeon blankly sighed, “I’m going to my room.” He quietly said. He passes Yoona coldly to the stairs.

            Yoona sadly watches him, she felt regretful for leaving him alone in the medical room earlier. Seulong smiles to Mrs. Im before he walks to the stairs and up to the second floor. Mrs. Im awkwardly watches the guys leave.

            Mrs. Im went to stand next to Yoona, “Is there something wrong? I feel like they are hiding something from me.” She mumbled to Yoona. “Did school go well for you?” She asked Yoona.

            Yoona nodded her head lightly, “Yes it did. I even get see Sooyoung again. She’s attending Seoul University with me.” Changing the subject, hoping to rid Mrs. Im suspicious.

            “Jjinja? That’s great. For a second, I thought you would have a hard time making new friends.” Mrs. Im happily said. “But this is really a coincident. You met Siwon yesterday. Today you met Sooyoung. I wonder who will you meet next, tomorrow? This is really a small world.”

            Yoona force a smile on her face, “I’ll going to study a little. I’ll be down to help you once I’m done.”

            “It’s fine. Go study. I will call you and Taecyeon when dinner is ready.” Said Mrs. Im

            Yoona gave her another weak smiles before she walks up to her room and put her bags away. She sat on chair and blank out in her own world thinking about the mix feeling she has for Taecyeon.

* * *

            Seulong have gone back to his home before Mr. Ok arrived at the house. Yoona was in the kitchen with her mom after she read a few chapters from her Theater class textbook. She carries the dishes to the dinning table then neatly places the silverwares on side of the rice bowl. Mr. Ok walks to the dinning table from the living room. Taecyeon comes join them shortly. Sitting across each other, Yoona frequently glances at Taecyeon, seeing how he only use his right hand to feed himself and hide the left under the table. Though he wear long sleeve top, but the white gauzes can still peep out and catches attention, leaving Taecyeon no choice, but to be extra careful. Dinner was quiet between them. No words spoken except from Mrs. Im and Mr. Ok.

            Suddenly Mr. Ok turned his attention to Yoona and Taecyeon. “We have a show in two days. Yoona, I need a classy yet a little romance feeling for this show.” Said Mr. Ok. “Can you handle it?”

            “Sure appa.” Said Yoona. “I’ll get it done by tomorrow.” She confidently said.

            “Once you are done, gave it to Taecyeon. He need to know the theme, so he can set it up.” Said Mr. Ok.

            Yoona nodded. Mr. Ok turns his attention to Taecyeon, “Last time you did a great job keeping the curtains from falling.” He praised him. Taecyeon didn’t speak nor react to his appraisal.

            “Appa, who is performing this time?” Yoona asked.

            “It’s KBS orchestra. They are performing Stairway to Heaven.” Said Mr. Ok.

            “I love the drama.” Said Mrs. Im delightfully. “I remembering watching every episode when it is release. It’s really sad yet so good.”

            “Well, you will see it again. I’ll get you a seat.” Mr. Ok sweetly said. He looks over at Yoona, “How was school today?” He asked.

            Yoona flashed a quick glance at Taecyeon before she could answer Mr. Ok. “It was great. I have two classes with Taecyeon and Seulong oppa.”

            “That’s terrific.” Said Mr. Ok delightedly said. “Do you like the school?”

            Yoona weakly nodded. “Yes. I also met my old friend, Sooyoung.”        

            “Another guy?” Mr. Ok asked.

            “No, it’s a girl.” Yoona stated. “She’s my bestfriend in Japan.”

            “Isn’t this world small.” Mr. Ok quoted.

            “That’s what I say to her earlier. This world is really small, so there’s no need to say goodbye.” Mrs. Im added.

            “It’s true.” Mr. Ok agreeing with Mrs. Im.

            Dinner continues as Mr. Ok gives Mrs. Im more detail about the next show, since she’s a big fan of Stairway to Heaven. Taecyeon finished his meal and quietly leaves the table. Only Yoona notices his absent and sadly zones out during dinner.

* * *

            Knock. Knock. Yoona knocks on the door. Taecyeon, who’s is seating at his desk, looks at the door. Knock. Knock. She knocks on his door again.

            “Who is it?” Taecyeon asked in a cold tone.

            Yoona stayed silent, knowing if she answered he won’t opened the door for her. Instead she knocks on his door again. Annoyed by the knocks, he assume Seulong have come back to his house again. Walking up to the door, he grabbed onto the doorknob and opened the door. He sees Yoona smiling with the first-aid box in her hands.

            “You don’t have to worry. Omma and appa is in their room.” Said Yoona with ease. “You need to change your pad.”

            “I can do it myself.” He stonily said. He reaches for the box, but Yoona move it away from his right hand.

            “No.” She disagrees with him. “I’m doing it. You only have one hand. I have two.” Defeated, Taecyeon looks to the side. Yoona happily smiles, “Do you want to do this in my room, since you don’t allow me to be in your room anymore.”

            Taecyeon let go of his doorknob and walks to his bed. Yoona pleasantly entered his room—closed the door behind her—pulled the chair in front of him—she takes a seat, placing the box on his bed. Yoona grabbed his left hand out and place it on her lap. Suddenly Taecyeon felt his blood rushing up to his head as his heart beats abruptly fast. Yoona calmly unwrap the gauzes of his lower arm and carefully peel the trauma pad off. Seeing the dry blood on the pad and gooey wet blood at his cut ache her heart. Yoona put the old pad on his nightstand. She opens the box and takes out the antibacterial wipe packs—ripping the cover off—she gently taps it over the cut on his arm. Taecyeon quietly watches and sees his mom bracelet still hanging around her right wrist. Yoona accidentally tap the wipe to hard on his cut, Taecyeon hisses in pain a little.

            “Mianhe, I didn’t mean to….” Yoona apologized. She looks at Taecyeon making sure he’s no longer in pain.

            “Just continue.” Said Taecyeon frostily.

            Yoona carefully resume again, applying the healing cream over his cut before sticking the trauma pad over it. Taking out the gauze roll, she starts wrapping it over the pad a couple layers before she looks for a scissor.

            “I have scissor in the left drawer of my desk.” Said Taecyeon. “I’ll get it.”

            “No, just sit and hold it.” Yoona gave him the roll before she roll the chair over to his desk and open the drawer on the left.

            Her hand stopped when she spotted the gauze that she wrote on for him on her first day here. She thought he dislike it and threw it away the moment she left his room that night, but in fact, he have been keeping it. Taecyeon looks over at her and sees her standing still. His eyes widen when he realized what she have seen. Taecyeon quickly walks over to her, grab the scissor out of the drawer then immediately close it. Yoona was startle by him a little.

            “Hurry up. I’m tire.” Taecyeon handed her the scissor.

            “What does this mean?” She puzzlingly asked him.

            “It’s nothing. If you—just hurry, I’m getting sleepy.” Said Taecyeon nervously.          

                Perplexedly, Yoona walks back to the chair with the scissor in her hand. Taecyeon secretly exhale in relief before he takes a seat on his bed again and held his left arm out. Yoona cut the gauzes before she tapes it. Awkwardly, she put the material in the box again and was about to reach over for his old pad, wipes, and gauzes. Taecyeon grabbed her hand and stop her.

            “Just get out. I’ll throw the trash.” Said Taecyeon.

            From his tone, she knew he was being cold and mean again. Mad at him, she carries the box out of his room. Taecyeon closed the door without any hesitation. After putting the box away in the bathroom, she head straight to her room—closed the door behind her—and walks to her bed. Yoona grabbed her stuffed animal and hugs it as she lean against the bedhead.

            Sitting on her bed, hugging the stuff animal, and looking at his mom bracelet as she thinks of what she saw earlier. “What does this mean? What is he hiding from me?”

 

To be continue……………………………