Ch. 7 We meet again

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

 

            The next morning, Yoona was the first to wake up from her sleep. Sitting up and stretching her arms, the soft chiming from the birds brightens her –lifting the smiles across her face. Putting her coat on, she quietly makes her way out of the tent. Seeing Taecyeon at the table, making hot coffee by hand. Yoona carefully zip the tent door, letting Yuri sleep a little more before she walks over to Taecyeon.

            “Morning.” Yoona greeted him with smiles. “You’re up early.”

            Taecyeon stopped stirring—turned around—and looked at her. He gave her blunt face before turning his back on her again and continues to stir his coffee again. Yoona sighed as she stopped beside him. She turned her head to the side and looked at him, examining his face expression. Taecyeon take a sip before he looks at her.

            “What?” Taecyeon stonily said.

            “Nothing.” Yoona lied. She’s trying to see how thick his skins are. “How could he possibly change his face so fast? It must take a lot of practice.”

            “Then are you done looking at me?”

            Yoona shook her head, leaving Taecyeon blankly looks at her. Taecyeon eyes down to her right hand and sees the bracelet he gave her still remain around her wrist. Yoona inhale deeply before she took the cup of coffee of his hand. Taecyeon shockingly yet confusedly looks at her. His lips parted, but unable to speak any words.

            “I want to go hiking before we go back home. You’re coming with me.” Said Yoona delightedly. “So, coffee is not good for hiking.” She put his cup of coffee down on the table.

            “Who said I’m going.”

            “I said.” Yoona boldly said as she looks at him. She grabbed his right hand and dragged him with her.

            Taecyeon speechless follows her. Half a mile away from the tents, Taecyeon flung his arm away from her grip. The disconnection between them makes her heart drop a thousand times.

            “Stop.” Said Taecyeon. Yoona looks at him confusedly, not understanding what he meant by ‘Stop’. “Can you not be so nice to me?” Taecyeon uncomfortably asked.

            “Why?” Yoona confusedly asked.

            Taecyeon looks to the side, trying to keep his coldness in front of her.

            “Why don’t you like me being nice to you?” Yoona repeated clearly this time. “I like Taecyeon oppa. “The urges to confess to him yet knowing their status stop her. “So I have to be nice to Taecyeon oppa.”

            Taecyeon hearts thumps rapidly fast yet he did feel a little disappointed by her last sentence. He was hoping for more of her honest confession then just the words “like” connecting with “nice”. Especially how he kissed her last night, he’s still waiting for her to ask him, but wrongly, she did not. It shocks him how she’s not asking about it.

            “You don’t like me being nice to you?” Yoona asked him, hoping he would ‘no, I like it.’ But his stubbornness wouldn’t get her the answer she wants to hear. “Last night you are caring and gentle to me, but now you are keeping yourself away from me again. Why?”

            Taecyeon can’t directly tell her, ‘Oh because I like you more than just sister. I want us to be more than just sibling.’. He can’t give her his honest answer because he fears that once he does, she would distance herself from him. Standing face to face as the sound of squirrels running near by and bird chiming echoes around them, they stares constantly into each other eyes. Fighting his weakness, Taecyeon turned around and head back to the camp. Yoona step forward—grabbed his right arm—and stopped from taking another step.

            “If you don’t want to answer, that’s fine, but you have to go hiking with me, unless you don’t care about me. Unless you don’t care about a girl hiking alone and could get herself hurt.” Yoona playfully threatening, knowing he dislikes seeing her hurt after she recall multiple minor accident because of him.

            Successfully hit his weak spot, Taecyeon turn around and looks at her coldly. Yoona smiles leading the way with him obediently follow her. From one hill to the next, they strolls along the hiking the trails carefully and enjoyably.  Yoona quickly glance at him, Taecyeon quickly looks away from getting caught peaking at her, and she smiles as she climbs up the rocky hill. Pebble sliding downs every step Yoona takes. Taecyeon watches her, making sure she takes the right step up the hill. But seeing her slips a little every times frighten him. Yoona continues even though she knew it was slippery and dangerous. She lifts her right leg up and step onto the next rock—she push herself—yet slip and fall. Taecyeon quickly wrap his right arms around her—pulls her to him—he catches her.

            “Can you be careful?” Taecyeon raised his voice. “It slippery here. There are a lot of pebbles. Look before you make a step.”

            “Why do you always yell at me in a situation like this? It’s not like I wanted to happen. It’s not like I’m doing this on purpose. I try to be careful, yet I still get yell by you.” Yoona loudly express her hurtfulness to him.

            “I yell at you because I care about you.” Taecyeon blurted out loudly.

            His confession caught her off guard. Her heart flusters when looking into his fiery eyes as her hands rest at his chest. Unaware of how close they are to each other, Yoona can feel his hot-warm breaths on her lips. Inhaling and exhaling heavily a couple times, Taeyeon finally cool his hot temper head and calmly looks into her eyes.

            “I’m sorry.” He apologized to her.

            For the first time, a dull and cold Taecyeon apologized to her in person. Yoona lightly smiles. Finally, realizing how close they are to each other. She looks at the apple of his neck drop nervously as he lower his head to her. She closed her eyes, ready to accept his kiss again. Lower and lower, his head moves, just a couple centimeters away before their lips touch again; he suddenly stop when his phone rings a couple times. Parted himself from her a little, he take out his phone and read the message Yuri have sent him. Yoona shyly yet disappointedly

            “Oppa, ahjussi say to come back. We’re leaving soon. –Yuri.”

            Yoona glance at Taecyeon phone before he could slides it back into his pocket.

            “We should head back.” Taecyeon spoke nearly like a whispered.

            Yoona sighed as she watches him walks back to the camp.

            “What is our relationship?” Yoona murmured inside her head.

* * *

            Camping trip was over; Yuri is back at her parent house. Mr. Ok is off to work. Taecyeon and Yoona only have today before they start class the next day. Short in supplies and clothing, Mr. Ok asked Taecyeon to take Yoona and Mrs. Im shopping. Driving the car Mr. Ok bought for him for the first time, Taecyeon drove them to the COEX Mall located in Gangnam-gu Seoul. Taeyeon parked in the private parking before hitting mall together. Taking the front door, they entered the main floor first. Mrs. Im and Yoona eyes widen in shock; astound to see how big the mall and so much people strolling around. Before they tour the mall, Yoona spotted a familiar person walking toward her with a smile; a tall man, slightly shorter than Taecyeon and slimmer than him, smiles at her.

            “Hi Yoona.” The man greeted her with a charming smile.

            Taecyeon uncomfortably and uneasily glared at her.

            “Siwon.” Yoona smiles and gave him a hug.

            Siwon returned her hug, wrapping his arms around her. Taecyeon eyebrows rise in rage as he stood and watch Yoona embrace another man in front of him. Yoona and Siwon break apart. Siwon bowed to Mrs. Im, who gave him a warm smile.

            “It’s nice seeing you again.” Said Mrs. Im.

            “Yes, it is.” Said Siwon. “How have you been Mrs. Im?” He asked Yoona and Mrs. Im. “It’s nice seeing you here in Seoul.”

            “We’re great.” Yoona answered. “How about you? I haven’t seen you like in a long time.” She happily said.

            “Yeah, I’ve been busy with family business.” Said Siwon. “Sorry I couldn’t visit you back in Tokyo a last year.” Said Siwon. “Sorry, I couldn’t attend your graduation.”

            Taecyeon became more impatient knowing how often Siwon visit her and how close and comfortable with each other.

            “But it’s good to see you here. So what are you doing here anyway? Vacation?” Siwon asked.

            “Oh no.” Mrs. Im answered. “We just move here five days ago.”

            “Move?” Siwon puzzlingly looked at her.

            “Yes. Omma just got remarried.” Said Yoona happily. Mentioning the word ‘remarried’, she remembered she still have not introduce Taecyeon to him yet. “Oh by the way, this is my brother, Ok Taecyeon.” Introducing him to Siwon. Yoona notice the annoying and the ‘jealous’ looks on his face.

            Siwon held his hand out for a shake. Taecyeon coldly ignore it, just looking to the side. Siwon uneasily pulls his hand back without fading his smiles.

            “Just ignore him.” Yoona glare at Taecyeon, mad at him for the attitude he gave to Siwon.

            “Anyway, congratulation Mrs. Im.” Said Siwon.

            “Thank you.” Said Mrs. Im.

            “So are you planning to continues your studies or are you looking for a job? If you are looking for a job, I can get you a position at the hotel.” Siwon offered.

            “She has a job.” Taecyeon unexpectedly yet ignorantly answered for Yoona.

            Yoona irritated sighed.

            “Oh, that’s good. Where do you work?” Siwon politely asked.

            “It’s none of your concern.” Taecyeon answered for Yoona again.

            Yoona hopeless bit her lips as she looks to the side. Mrs. Im just confusedly stood there beside Yoona, looking at Siwon and Taecyeon.

            “So where do you live? Maybe I’ll come by and visit you someday.” Said Siwon.

            “You don’t need to know that either.” Taecyeon emotionlessly said.

            “Oh okay.” Siwon awkwardly smiles at Taecyeon. He turned his attention back to Yoona, “So are you going school again?” Siwon asked.

            “Yes I am.” Yoona answered before Taecyeon could. “I’ll be attending Seoul University.”

            “That’s nice. Our hotel has a business with them.” Said Siwon delightedly. “Maybe I’ll come visit you sometime.”

            “That will be great.” Yoona smiles as she looks at Siwon.

            Taecyeon irritatedly walks away. Yoona unhappily watches him walks away.

            “It looks like he doesn’t like me.” Said Siwon.

            “He’s like that to me too.” Yoona unhappily said. “He’s not an open person.”

            Siwon’s phone rings a couple; he takes out of his phone for his jacket pocket. “Sorry, I have to go. Maybe we’ll meet again.” Said Siwon politely. “Nice seeing you Yoona and Mrs. Im.” He bowed to Mrs. Im. “Bye-Bye.” He said before he walks away and answered his phone.

            “It seem like he will be making a move soon.” Mrs. Im teased Yoona. “You two have known each other since you were in 9th grade.”

            “Omma.” Yoona pouted.

            “I’m just speaking the truth. You did tell me you like him. I can tell too. The way you look at him, the way you smiles at him.” Mrs. Im continued. “I don’t mind you dating him at all.”

            “Omma, there’s nothing going on between me and him. We are just friend.” Yoona explained.

            “For now.” Said Mrs. Im. “But later, it will be different.”

            “Omma stop it.” Yoona whined.

            “Okay, okay. I’ll stop.” Mrs. Im smiles as she pinched Yoona cheeks lightly. Yoona cutely smiles before Mrs. Im let go of her check. “Where did Taecyeon go?” She wondered.

            The smiles on Yoona faded thinking about Taecyeon weird attitude towards Siwon. She looks around the mall, scanning her eyes quickly, she sees him at the bookstore.

            “He’s at the bookstore.” Said Yoona watching him browsing the store.

            “Okay, you go with him. I’ll be at the market. Make sure you keep your cellphone close to you.” Said Mrs. Im.

            Yoona nodded. Mrs. Im takes the right side while Yoona walks to her left to the bookstore. Pouting as she grabbed tightly onto her purse string, she thinks about his unusual attitude and words he spoke to Siwon earlier. Somehow, Taecyeon attitude seem like jealousy to her. She’s unsure whether her guess is right or not, but she is happy to see Siwon again; her first crush.

 

To be continue……………………………………….