Ch. 22: A Celebrity

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

            Night 1: Yoona stood in front of his room, placing her hand at the door, begging him to come home.

            Night 2: Yoona walks out of the bathroom and to his room again. This time she opens the door and looks around the home, hoping he would appear, but disappointed by an empty cold room.

            Night 3: Yoona entered his room—walking up to his bed—sorrowfully looks around before walking up to his desk and randomly open a drawer. It happens to be the first drawer on the left side of his desk. There are gauzes she wrote on and a drawing book. Uncontrollably, she took the book out and take a peak inside the book. She found drawing, lots of drawing. Every page is a picture of a woman, a similar woman to the portrait in the frame beside the computer screen. It was his mom. She slightly runs her fingers from the top to the bottom of the page before turning to the next page. She stopped breathing for a second as she looks at another familiar woman in his book. A youthful girl in her late 10s; it was her. He drew her that night under the tree when they held hand, she was singing to him, and making wishes. Tears drop from her eyes as she continues looking at it.

            Night 4: After shower, Yoona went to his room again. It was a quick visit. She took his drawing book and brings it back with her to her room. Lying on the bed, she goes through the book. Taecyeon have drawn a lot; nature, animal—mostly birds, squirrels, and bunny, his mom, and her. Going through was the way for her to fall asleep after so many tiring nights.

            Four nights have passed and Taecyeon have not been home at all. Not even in the days. Four nights, Yoona have passed, stopped, and stares at his room for a little bit before she head straight into her room. She knew he is avoiding her as much as he can, staying out of her sight to what her accidentally demands him in an unconditional stage. She wanted to know where he have been staying—spending the night. It is at a girl or guy place, or is he staying at the hotel or motel? But what she does not know is that Taecyeon have been sneaking back late at night when everybody is deep asleep to change.

            Many sleepless nights, Yoona tiringly strolls down the hall with Sooyoung beside her. Because of the misinterpretation, every night, she thinks of Taecyeon with her eyes close or not. She sees him have way to the Theater class and was about to run up to him until he walks into the class the moment he sees her. Yoona stop and unhappy pout. It’s bugs her that he’s taking her words serious. She wanted a talk with him. Not just a solution or a short talk, but a real talk, a heart to heart talk. But it’s a little difficult because he does not want to talk to her. Just sitting in class, Yoona purposely find a table beside or at least close to where Seulong is sitting to have a better chance to talk to Taecyeon without him avoiding her and running out of class. The clock is ticking, class is starting soon, but Taecyeon is nowhere seen. Sooyoung notice how Yoona keep staring at the door, well, she actually knew what Yoona wanted the moment they sat near Seulong’s table.

            “Waiting for Taecyeon-sshi?” Sooyoung . Yoona gave her an awkward looks. “Well, it’s obvious that you are waiting for him because you drew a picture of him in your notebook and also yesterday. You were so concern him, that cannot be hidden.” She noisily said.  

            “I am.” Yoona answered her first question. “He has been avoiding this past days. He mistook my words and I really want to clear things out with him, and….” She paused as she remembers him asking her if she love him the same way he love her.

            “And…?” Sooyoung asked.

            “I want to tell him the truth. I want to tell something important.” With that being said, Yoona have makes up her mind. She wants to confess to him. She wants to tell him she feels the same way he feels. She loves him.

            Taecyeon appear before Sooyoung could speak again. He sees Yoona sitting at a table next to Seulong as he makes his way to the seat beside Seulong—he sat face to face with her.

            “Why are you late? Do you want to get kill by Miss Hyori?” Said Seulong.

            “I had a…” He glances at Yoona and sees her eyeing on him as if she wanted to have a private talk with him. I had something come up at the last moment. “I had something come up at the last moment.”

            Hyori enter the room with heavy load of papers in her arms. She places it down and did a quick scan across the room as role calls, before she start to speaks loudly to the student.

            “Today, you will all be working in pair for this assignment. This can be consider as your midterm exam, since it 2/4 of your grades.” Said Hyori. “Once you are done, you can leave early. I have nothing else for you to do.” Student were happy to ear it from Hyori, an early release if the assignment is done is like heaven to them. “I will assign you to your partner.” Said Hyori. She picks up a pile of papers and walks around the desk. “Sooyoung and Seulong. Gyuri with Yuri. Suzy and Thunder.” She names pair by pair. “Next is…” she looks down the listed. “Taecyeon and Yoona.”

            Taecyeon quickly raise his hand up high in the air. “I want to change partner.”        

            “I don’t, Miss Hyori.” Yoona insist.  

            “But I do.” Taecyeon persistently want Hyori to team him up with someone else other than Yoona.

            “Taecyeon oppa!” She exclaimed. Yoona angrily looks at him. She wants to work with him—to get close to him, but he doesn’t. He’s trying everything he can to avoid her, make himself invisible.

            Looking back and forth between, Hyori was completely annoyed. “Stop! I’m getting a headache.” She glances between them. “Fine then, Taecyeon will work with Seulong and Yoona with Sooyoung then. That’s final.”

            Yoona upsetly glares at him as she inhales and exhales deeply. Taecyeon tries not to look at her. Seulong return to his seat—sitting beside Taecyeon and so did Sooyoung.

            “Okay, tell me what just happen between you and Taecyeon-sshi? I feel like I was watching a married couple arguing in the room.” Sooyoung exaggerated.

            “I’m—urg. I’m frustrated.” Yoona answered her in an angry tone.

            “Yeah I definitely see what’s going on between you two. Especially when he chased you to the girls’ room and so many things I shouldn’t see but did since school started.” Said Sooyoung.

            Yoona could only sighed as she looks back at the papers that Hyori have passed and slide it to her on the table. Fifteen minutes passed, a beautiful woman with a unique fashion that worth nearly a grand, walks into the room with a wide smile at Taecyeon. One by one, a student stop and drop their pen and pencil and gazes their eyes at the woman standing beside Taecyeon. Feeling awkward, Seulong looks up and sees the woman standing behind Taecyeon.

            “Taecyeon! Taecyeon!” Seulong excited taps Taecyeon shoulder. “Look who is here.” His smiles were wide as if he saw an angel fall from the sky.

Taecyeon annoying looks at Seulong first before he turns his head to the right. “Ji Young noona.” He jolts to his feet by surprise.

            “Ok Taecyeon, it has been long time.” Ji young greeted him friendly with a hug, causing Yoona to become jealous. Ji Young back away and still sees the surprise looks on his face. “I see you still remember this Baek Ji Young huh?” She smiles as she fixes his shirt. “You grown into a handsome man.” She praised his looks. “I bet a lot is after you huh?”

            “Wh—what are you doing here?” Taecyeon stuttered in shock.

            “Came to see you. Am I not welcome here?” Ji Young teased. “Am I too old for this place?”

            “Of course you are always welcome here.” Hyori nervously said as she walks up to him and Seulong. She openly give Taecyeon a big close hug. Jealousy burns in Yoona’s eyes as she watches Ji Young hugging Taecyeon tightly.

            “How did he know Baek Ji Young, the queen of OST?” A female student whispered in envy to another.

            “I don’t know. I didn’t even know they were this close.” The second female student responded.

            “Damn, he’s a lucky bastard.” Said a male student with envy. “Man, I would close my eyes in peace if I was this close to Korea best singer.”

            “Too bad you’re not.” The second male student discouragingly said.

            Seulong, who overheard them speak, leans his chair back. “She was his tutor back in junior school years and was also his first crush.” He delightedly explained to them. “You can said they’ve known each other for a very long time.” He let his chair fall back to its’ original stand.

            They all admirably watch Taecyeon close interaction with Ji Young.

            “Wow, this is interesting.” Said Sooyoung. “Isn’t she older than him by 8 years? So that mean, he had a crush on her when he was 12 and she was 20.”

            Yoona is hurt and upset to hear all of this. On the first day here, she have had ask if he ever had a crush or a girlfriend to which he replied no, but from what Seulong stated, it was totally the opposite. He had lied to her. He never mentions Baek Ji Young to her.

            Ji Young turn and look at Hyori. “Professor, may I borrow Taecyeon?” Ji Young asked.

            “Sure. Of course you can.” Hyori happily said.

            Ji Young smiles and pulls Taecyeon with her out of the class. Yoona hurtfully yet jealously watches him leave with another woman in front her.

* * *

            The classes ended. Yoona went to her locker with Sooyoung, putting their books into the lockers before heading to the exit. Yoona stop once she sees Taecyeon with Ji Young at what she believes is her car. They weren’t too neither far nor too close, but they were standing in the parking lot. She watches—trying to read their lips, but it was too hard for her. But then she sees Ji young handing him a card like a card key to a hotel room, her thoughts goes wild.

            “How come you never told me that Taecyeon-sshi has a connection with Baek Ji Young?” Sooyoung asked as she watches from the entrance. “He must be really popular. I wonder if he close with any other celebrities?”

            “I don’t know.” Yoona murmured quietly. Her tone were low, down with sadden.

            Before she leaves, Ji young give Taecyeon an unexpected hug and a kiss on the cheek. Yoona eyes widen as her body tense up. Taecyeon was lost as he stood still watching Ji Young walks into her car and drive away. Watching the car driving out of the parking lot, he spotted Yoona at the entrance, staring at him.

            Seulong run up to Taecyeon after Ji Young have left the school property. He swung his arm across Taecyeon shoulder. “Lucky bastard.” He said win envy. “The woman who tutor you become Korean top singer and now comes looking for you. I guess your dream will come true soon.” He . “See? Moving on isn’t so bad.”

            Taecyeon give a reckless glare at Seulong before he quietly walks out of the parking lot and down the hill, away from the school.

            “Dude! Don’t hide. She came back here for a reason and you know it!” Seulong shouted cause attention at and around him.

            Yoona hurtful eyes away from his direction, a tear escape and rolls down her cheek.

            “Lets go. I feel tire.” Yoona upsetly said as she head to the bus stop with Sooyoung.

            “Wh—what?” Sooyoung quickly follows her. “It’s Thursday, we should go to the mall or visit Siwon oppa.”

            “Not today. My mom is expecting home to help her. You can go by yourself.” Yoona said before she sadly walks away from the entrance.

            Sooyoung blankly watches Yoona for a second before she runs up to Yoona, walking with her down the sidewalks.

* * *

            Later that night, it’s heavily rainy outside, which Yoona find it strange. In the winter, it’s usually snows, no rains. It doesn’t bother her as much as thinking what Taecyeon is during outside of home.

            “Seoul is really strange.” Said Mrs. Im standing next to her, stirring ingredient in a bowl. “Rainy in the winter, this is the first.”

            “It must be global warming. “ Yoona made a guessed.

            Mrs. Im chuckles lightly as she put the bowl down and grabs some small bowls from the cabinet. Mr. Ok walks into the living room—turn his head to the left and sees Yoona and Mrs. Im making dessert in the kitchen. He smiles before he grabs a newspaper from the coffee table and take a sit on the couch.

            Flipping the first page of the newspaper, “Yoona, have you seen or talk to Taecyeon at school?” Mr. Ok asked. “He hasn’t come home at all this whole week.”

            “Yes appa, but not much. I see him around Seulong a lot.” Yoona answered in an unhappy tone. She didn’t want to tell the real reason why didn’t come at all, it would only make him suspicious. “He has been avoiding me.”

            Mr. Ok sighed, “This boy, he always keep things to himself, never letting anybody know where he is at or what he is doing.” He said.

            “Yobo, he’s a grown man. He can take care of himself. Plus, it great you start to learn to let him be himself. He’s not going to be around you all the time. There will be a point where he have to go far away from here.” Said Mrs. Calmly as she decorates the desserts with fruits.

            Yoona mind gone off space thinking what her mom says can be true. After all, she did tell him to disappear in front of him.

            “I know. Maybe it’s about time.” Said Mr. Ok with firm smiles.

            The doorbell rings a couple times, Mr. Ok put the newspaper and stood. “Who could it be at this time?” He said before he walks to the front. Open the door, Taecyeon soak wet in front of him. “Taecyeon.” He was shock to see him after a recent talk about him earlier.

            After hearing Taecyeon name loud and clear, Yoona and Mrs. Im rush to the front and sees him wet from top to bottom. Mr. Ok pulled him inside the house and closes the door, locks the doorknobs.

            “Oh lord.” Mrs. Im went to get some dry towels for Taecyeon.

            “What happen?” Mr. Ok asked.

            “I walked home.” Taecyeon coldly answered without looking directly into anyone eyes.

            “You walked home?” Mr. Ok repeats as he looks at him. “I got you a car for a reason, but you hardly use it.” He said. Taecyeon carelessly continues to stare at the floor. “You could at least carry an umbrella with you or at least take a taxi home.”

            “I like to walk.” Taecyeon answered in the same tone.

Mrs. Im came back with towels in her hands. “Yoona, come help me.” She asked.

      “I’m fine.” Taecyeon finally looks up at her.

      Yoona and Mrs. Im stop a couple feet away. Yoona feels her beat in guilty as she stands in front of him.

      “Where have you been this whole?” Mr. Ok asked. “Could you call and tell us in advance that you wouldn’t be home?”

      Waters continues to drips as he stands mute in the hall, ignoring Mr. Ok question, Taecyeon politely bow to Mrs. Im before he walks pass Yoona without a glance to the stairs and up to his room. A cold breeze shivers after he passed her, her breathing stops for a second. She felt cold like iceberg from him, so cold that her heart stops for just a moment before she decided to go talk to him. It was an awkward moment for Mr. Ok and Mrs. Im seeing their kids walking up to their room. They look each other, communicating through their eyes whether to go check on them or not. Hesitating for a little bit, Mrs. Im walks to the closet by their bedroom and put the towels away before heading back to the kitchen. Mr. Ok sighed deeply then walks to the living and continues reading his newspaper like nothing happen.             Yoona reach the second and sees Taecyeon walking out of his room with new clothes in his right hand. She went up to him— immediately grab his left hand and stop him before he can proceed any further.

      “Oppa.” She quietly called him.

      Taecyeon stay quiet as he looks at the floor.

      “Oppa, I’ve have been worry about you. Where have you been this couple days?” She asked as she looked him, hoping to catch a glance from him but he ignores her. “Please don’t ignore me.” Yoona pleaded. Her voice trembles as she looks at him from behind. “I’m sorry.” Her eyes become watery. A couple tears strolls down her cheeks.

      A sudden pressure at his chest, he couldn’t breath, he couldn’t feel his heart beating anymore as he stand in the hall on the second level of the house. He’s trying to control himself… from melting down in front of her.

      “I didn’t mean any words I said to you that day. I don’t… I don’t want you to disappear from my life.” Tears tumbling down her eyes as she looked at him.

      Feeling himself weaken—giving into her, he pulls his hand back from her and walks into the bathroom—without taking around, he close the door and lock the doorknob and rest his back against the door. He place his left hand at his chest and grab onto his wet shirt, he inhale and exhale deeply with his eyes close tight.     

      “Oppa…” Yoona whispered in sadness.

      He can hear her whispered—calling him through the door. “Please stop, Yoona. Please… I’m trying hard…. I’m trying really hard to let you go.” He could only whispered these words inside of him, it was the only she can hear him like he heard her whisper.

 

To be continue……………………