Ch. 1: A New Family

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

           “Annyoung ladies and gentlemen. This is your captain speaking. Before we open the door, I would like to say a few words.” The captain spoke loudly through the speakers. “Welcome Seoul, heart of South Korea. Right now, the current temperature is 10 Celsius outside. It’s very pleasantly, snows have just fall from the sky, so please be careful with your steps and have a pleasant stay. Thank you.”

            Looking through the small window, Yoona flashed smile across her face seeing soft gentle snows falling outside. It excites her.

            “Yoona, let’s go.” Said her mom.

            Yoona nodded her head before standing up and steps into the small aisle. Both walk to the exit, leaving the plane into the airport. Yoona, along with her mom, walk to gate, where the pick-ups are waiting. Up the escalator, they reach the top floor.

            “There they are.” Said Mr. Ok happily. “Be good to you new mom and sister.” He whispered to Taecyeon.

            “She’s not my mom. They are not my family.” Taecyeon coldly spoke.

            “Aishi, you…” Mr. Ok sighed. “At least be respectful to them.”

            Taecyeon just gave a stonily expression as he looked away. Mr. Ok waves his right hand up in the air, waving it back and forth. “Yobo.” He shouted.

             “She is not my mom, her daughter is not my sister.” Taecyeon said coldly.  

            Taecyeon annoying looked away. Mr. Ok sees Yoona and Mrs. Im walking out of the gate; he waves happily in the air. Taecyeon just coldly looks at them, but his heart calm when he sees Yoona warm smiles.  Mr. Ok went to hug Mrs. Im and Yoona, Taecyeon just follow behind him annoyingly. Yoona and her mom spotted a man waving at them and smiles, but it soon fade when a young man beside him stares at her. His stares were motionless, lonely, and cold. It shivers her. Mr. Ok walks up to them and immediately helps the new Mrs. Im with her bag. Taecyeon followed him behind.

            She shook herself awake and away from his stare. “Annyoung.” Yoona greeted her new dad with smiles and a bow to him and Taecyeon, “Annyoung Taecyeon oppa.” Taecyeon coldly looked away.

            Mr. Ok smiles delightedly, “Good. Good to see you here.” He gave Yoona a hug ten smile at his new wife. “Yoo Hee. Yoona. This is Taecyeon, my only son.”

            Yoona waves happily at him. Taecyeon ignore her. Mr. Ok elbowed him in the arm. Taecyeon stiffly bow to his new mom.

            “You are very handsome.” Mrs. Im praised with smiles at the emotionless Taecyeon.

             “Are you hungry?” He asked them. He looked at his wife, “Are you tired?”

            Mrs. Im shook her head. “I’m fine. I had a good rest on the plane. You shouldn’t gotten us the first class.” She said.

            “It okay. I wanted you two to be comfortable during the flight.” Said Mr. Ok. He wrapped his arms across her shoulder. “Come on, Yoona is hungry.” Mr. Ok suggested. Mrs. Im nodded.

            Mr. and Mrs. Im begin to walk to the exit. Yoona followed behind them happily, but suddenly stop when she felt a cold hand grabbed her wrist. She turned and looked at him unexpectedly. Without looking into her eyes, he grabbed her bag off her hand. Her heart rate jolt to 180 mph. Just a cold touch that made her heart fluster and shock.

            “Op—oppa.” She startle by him.

            Taecyeon did not speak a word and just walk away. Yoona was speechless for a second with her right hand pressed against her chest. She placed her left hand over her right wrist; trying to reminiscence the cold breeze she felt when he grabbed her. “A human can’t be that cold.” She asked herself, taking a moment to think before she picked up her pace to them. Outside the airport, the four of them strolled to the black SUV. Mr. Ok opened the truck with his remote and place the bags inside. Taecyeon did the same before closing it.  Mr. Ok, Mrs. Im, and Yoona walk to the door.

            “I’m not going.” Said Taecyeon in a low tone. “I’ll see you tonight at the theatre.” Taecyeon bowed to his dad and Mrs. Im before walking away from the car.

            “Yah, Taecyeon.” Mr. Ok tried to call him back.

            “Does he not like me?” Mrs. Im worriedly asked.

            “Just ignore him. He have been like this since my previous wife died. She died on his 14th birthday.” Mr. Ok explained. “He does not open himself to anybody much.”

            Immediately, Yoona run after Taecyeon and cut him off. Taecyeon looked at her stonily before he walks around her, but only to be stopped again. Yoona grabbed his wrist. From his cold body, he suddenly felt warm by her touch. He stare in to her pure eyes, it’s warm and gentle just like the way his mom look at him. “Omma…

            “Let go.” His voices were sharp--lonely as he looks at her with cold glares.

            “Come join us.” Said Yoona delightedly. Taecyeon swung his arm free from her grip and move again. Yoona grabbed his wrist again and stop him. He turn his head to her, shock by her strength. “I’m not going without you.” She declared to him. “This is my first time here with my new family and I want a family dinner with every body at the table.”

            “Ok Taecyeon, I know you haven’t eat yet. Come on.” Mr. Ok shouted.

            Yoona smiles, “I’m hungry and you are too. Stop being stubborn.” She said. Moving her hand lower to his, she held his hand tightly and drags him with her. Taecyeon astonishingly followed her back to the car. Mr. and Mrs. Im smiles as they watch Yoona successfully pursue Taecyeon to join them. All four of them get in the car, Mr. Ok start the engine and back out of the parking lot carefully, before hitting the main road to the city.

* * *

            Inside a restaurant, they sat by the window and near the stage where a musician is playing the piano for the customers to enjoy while eating. Yoona sat on one side with her mom while Taecyeon with his dad on the opposite. All looking at the menu, deciding what to get, Yoona was surprise by the price of many dishes.

            “Yobo, this is really expensive.” Said Mrs. Im.

            “It’s okay. Don’t worry about the price, just pick what you like.” Said Mr. Ok.

            “But still, a family dinner does have to be this expensive. Appa….”

Mr. Ok was happy to hear Yoona called him “appa”, “Yoona, don’t worry, okay. Just order. This restaurant belongs to appa’s friend. He ask me to bring you here.” He said.

            Mrs. Im sighed with smiles before she and Yoona looked back at the menu. Taecyeon was the first to put his menu down. A couple minutes later, the waiter came to take orders for the family.

            “Yoona, are you planning to continue your education or would you like to take a break at this moment.” Mr. Ok asked.

            “I’m planning to continue my education.” Said Yoona delighted.

            “How about Seoul University with Taecyeon?” Mr. Ok suggested. “If you go there, Taecyeon can take care of you.”

            Yoona glance at Taecyeon, but could not see his face, so she looked back at Mr. Ok. “She love to draw and design.” Said Mrs. Im.

            “Really?” Mr. Ok surprisingly asked.

            “Also music. I love to listen to music and draw, that’s why I love fashion.” Said Yoona.

            “Taecyeon is majoring in Theatre with a minor in business at Seoul University.” Said Mr. Ok. “You should go there.”

            “That’s terrific, you can go with Taecyeon to Seoul University. It has art major.” Mrs. Im support Mr. Ok’s idea. “You can minor in Theatre and help your dad out.”

            “Okay.” Yoona agreed. “You have a theatre?” She asked.

            “An orchestra theatre. Taecyeon also help me out.” Said Mr. Ok.

            “I’m just the stage director.” Taecyeon said coldly as he look at the table. “I don’t go there often.

            “Taecyeon-ah, be nice to your sister.” Said Mr. Ok.

            “Can I come and see?” Yoona curiously asked.

            “Of course.” Mr. Ok smiled. “We have a show tonight. Taecyeon can tour you around.” Yoona nodded happily. Mr. Ok looked at Mrs. Im, “Do you still want to go or do you want to go home and rest?”

            Mrs. Im softly smiles. “I’m fine. I want to see your show tonight.” She spoke in a soft tone.

            “Great, I will set a balcony seat for you and Yoona.” Said Mr. Ok.

            Mrs. Im nodded. Waiter came with a big tray full of dishes. He place it one dish at a time on the table. Picking up their folk, Mr. and Mrs. Im have their own little conversation while Taecyeon remain silent. Yoona do not really like how Taecyeon is acting.

            “Taecyeon oppa, can you tell me a little about yourself?” Yoona asked. Taecyeon just ignore her.  “Taecyeon oppa, do you have a girlfriend?” She tried again, but still get the same result from himcold and ignorance.

            Mr. Ok slightly elbow Taecyeon, “Be nice. Don’t ignore your sister. Answer her question.”

            Taecyeon annoyingly sighed. “There’s nothing about me.” He said stonily.

            “There is. Everybody have something.” Yoona insist. “Girlfriend?”

            “No.”

            “Hobby?”

            “No.”

            “Music?”

            “No.”

            “Taecyeon oppa.” Yoona pout.

            Taecyeon put his silverware down on the table. “I’m gonna take my leave.” Taecyeon stand and bow to Mr. and Mrs. Im. 

            “Where are you going?” Mr. Ok asked.

            “To the Theatre first.” Said Taecyeon.

            “How about we go together?” Said Mrs. Im.

            “It’s fine. You are still not done. I just want to go first and make sure everything is fine.” Said Taecyeon with making any eye contact.

            “Ok. I’ll see you there in an hour.” Said Mr. Ok.

            Taecyeon bow one more time, before leaving.

            “Does he not like me here?” Mrs. Im uncomfortably asked as she looked at Mr. Ok.

            Mr. Ok shook his head. “Just give him time. He will open.” He calmly said.

            “Umm, I’m gonna go with Taecyeon oppa.” Said Yoona.

            “Don’t. He likes to walk and it’s cold outside.” Mr. Ok object.

            “Appa, you said to give him time to open up. Well, that time have to start somewhere, might as well now.” Yoona said.

            “Take my jacket.” Mr. Ok offered.

            “I’m fine. I’m warm enough.” Said Yoona. She takes her napkin off her lap and place it on the table and stood. “Bye omma, appa.” She bowed to them before rushing out of the restaurant. Standing in front of the restaurant, looking left to right. She spotted him walking lonely in the snow. She runs up to him as fast as she could. Luckily, he was not that far.

            “Taecyeon oppa.” Yoona called him.

            Heard her voice, he ignore it and keep walking. Yoona reach her right hand out and grabbed his arm, stopping him. The moment he face her, their eyes directly locked on each other. In his eyes, she sees something else beside cold and loneliness—it’s the sadness and fear. The feeling she once felt when she lost her dad in to a car accident. Taecyeon swung his arm away from her and resume his walks.

            “Taecyeon oppa.” Yoona called him again, walking beside.

            “Go back.” He said without looking at her.

            “No. I want to go with you.” Yoona insist. She smiles as him.

            They walk a quiet road in the cold snowy day. It was getting cold. They have been walking for twenty minutes. Yoona began to shiver a little, rubbing her two skinny hands together. He secret glances at her. He took off his coat and wrapped it around her. Yoona shockingly looked at him.

            “It’s getting cold. I told you to go back, but you wouldn’t listen.” Said Taecyeon. His voice was not cold or harsh. It was warmer and caring. He looked around the place, looking for a small convenience store. “Stay here.” He ordered her.

            Yoona watches him run to the store across the street while she stays behind under the light. In less then five minutes, she sees him running out of the convenience store with a small bag and a small cup in his hands.

            “Be careful oppa.” Yoona shouted across the street.

            Taecyeon waited for a couple cars to pass before he make a run; like lightening, he was already in front of her. She was at to see how fast he was.

            “Give me your hand.” Said Taecyeon emotionlessly.

            Yoona place her hands out in front of him. Taecyeon put a hot drink on her right hand and wraps her left around the drink tightly—keeping both of her hands warm. He takes out a couple small hot packs and rip off the wrappers. Drop to his knee, he tuck the two mini hot pack in each of her boot—one in the front and one in the back. Yoona blankly looked at him, watching him carefully. She’s emotionally touch by him. He stands up again and put away the rest of the hot pack in his back pocket.

            “It’s hot chocolate. It can keep your hands warm at the same as your body. Drink it.” He voice may be stony and outside may be cold, but he personality is caring and warm. “Let me know when the drink is gone or get cold.”

            Yoona bluntly nodded. “Thank you Taecyeon oppa.”

            Wanting to smiles, but force himself to keep a straight and emotionless face as he looked at her.

            “I thought you were just going to ignore me.” Yoona said.

            Taecyeon stay silent. Immediately walked away to avoid her asking him again. Yoona immediately follow him, walking side by side with him.

            “Taecyeon oppa, can you not ignore me on my first day here again? I don’t want our brother-sister relationship to start out bad.” Said Yoona.

            Taecyeon exhale heavily with his eyebrows narrow together, “I’m not your brother! I will never be, so don’t try to get close to me. You will never understand me.” He raised his voice.

            His words hurt her, but somehow deep in side her felt happy.

            “Mianhe.” He apologized to her before he turn his back on her and walk again.

            Yoona grabbed his hand, holding it tightly. Taecyeon blankly looked at her. “I don’t care what you say.” She gave uplifting smiles.

            In Taecyeon’s eye, he doesn’t understand. He do not get why she always, always smiling even when he’s treating her badly. But he can’t deny that her smiles warm him, the feeling that have left him—forgotten for nearly a decade. He stood motionlessly looking into her warm pure eyes as snow falls over them.

 

To be continue……………………