Ch. 42: My heart is numb

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

          Another week have gone by, no one have heard of Taecyeon nor seen him anywhere in the city. Yoona misses him dearly; she have been calling him constantly, leaving messages, and making visit to the cemetery to his deceased to pay respect as well as hoping to see him there. Yet, sadly her hope continues to sours as she waits for him to come back one day. This only make her more worry and frighten that he will never be in front of her again.

         Nevertheless, in reverse to Yoona searching for him, he has been by her side all this time. Taecyeon have been following her for the pass days. There are times he want to run to her and embrace after hearing her endlessly calls his name as she looks for him, but dreaded by the fear of hurtful memories he held himself back from appearing in front of her and only hide in the corner across the street where Yoona will not see him.

          Following her from one street to another, he’s cellphone rings and vibrates in his pocket. He reach his pocket and pull out his cellphone, looking at the caller ID before he answer his phone; “Seulong” name flashing repeatedly on the screen.

        “Annyoung.”

        “Yoona came up to me today and ask me about you again. How long are you planning to hide? She’s worry about you.” Said Seulong. “And you about an illness that need to be treated. If you continues like this, you will put yourself in danger.”

         Taecyeon hopeless hissed as he look up in the sky. “I don’t plan on going back to the hospital.” He said. “In time she will forget about me.”

         “Do you really think she will forget you?

         Just then, Siwon happen to be near by and see Yoona on the street alone. He park his car on the side of the street and run to her immediately before she goes any further.

          “Yoona!” Siwon shouted as he run to her.

          Yoona stop and turn around with high hope of seeing the one person she misses dearly but to be disappointed again.

          Standing in front of her, Siwon smiles delighted seeing her. “What are you doing out here at night by yourself?” He asked.

          “I’m looking for Taecyeon oppa.” Said Yoona. “Oppa, have you seen Taecyeon?”

          The smiles dissolve as he sees the anxious and worry in her eyes. “No, I haven’t.” He said. “What happen? Why are you looking for him?” He asked.

          “He’s gone. After that day, he disappear. I’m scare.” Yoona voice shake as she fold her hands together.

          Jealous of Taecyeon, Siwon gulp and forcefully smiles as he looks at her. “Don’t he’s a big guy, he will be fine.” Siwon tries comforting her, getting her attention away from Taecyeon. “I’ve heard this pass days you’ve been looking for him. You have almost search the whole city already. There’s no place left. He could have left the city.”

          “No, he’s still here. I can still feel his present. I feel his really close by.” Said Yoona.

          “It has a long day. You must be tired. I’ll take you home.” Said Siwon.

          “It doesn’t feel right. My heart feels heavy as Taecyeon is hiding something from me. I need to find him. I have to find him and tell him the truth…tell him how I feel about him.” Said Yoona depressingly.

           Siwon pulls Yoona into his embrace. “It’s okay. He will come home.”

           Watching from afar, Taecyeon’s jealous and anger rise uncontrollable and deeply hurt.

           “Taecyeon.” Seulong called him over the phone. “Taecyeon.”

           “Good. It’s better this way.” Taecyeon whispered in dishearten.

           “What are you talking about?” Seulong confusedly asked.

           “Do me a favor.”

           “What is it?”

          “Please pass my words to Yoona for me. Don’t look for me anymore. Move on… I’m not coming back. I wish her the best future and happy with her true love.” Said Taecyeon before he end the call.

            “Taecyeon! Taecyeon!” Seulong shouted over the phone. Looking at his phone, Taecyeon have ended the called before Seulong could even speak another word. “What the? You said it yourself. I’m not the messenger.” He grabbed his jacket and head to the entrant door of the house.

With the phone call ended, Taecyeon sadly looks away, and begin walking the opposite way.

            “Come, I’ll take you home. It’s late, a girl like you can’t be out here alone. It’s dangerous.” Said Siwon. “You can continue looking for him in the daylight, just not at night and not alone.” He pulled her along to his car and drives her home.              

             Strolling in the street alone and cold, Taecyeon’s mind full emptiness, but only the memories of pain. This lonely path have led him to river where he stand below the Han River Bridge and stare at the river peacefully. 

            “It’s been a long time since we chat.” His mom stood next to him. “Why are you standing here out in the cold?”

            Taecyeon turn his head to the right and looked at his mom with a weak fainted smiles. “Omma….my hurt heart but I do not feel the pain. It is because I’ve been hurt so much that my heart have numb…turn into stone….It won’t matter anymore…. This pain…it will go away. I won’t feel it anymore once I die…Omma, if you hear me. Please wait for me. I will join you…soon. I’m tired. I’m very tired omma.”

            His mom place her hand at the center of his chest feeling his heart beat through her while see-through little hand. Looking into her son tiring eyes, she knew not only is his heart is tired but also his emotion. She pulled her hand back and let out a soft sighed. “I know you’re very tired, but it is not your time yet.”

          “Time… I don’t know how much longer I hold myself together.”

         “My son, I know you gone through so much. You tried so hard to hold yourself together, but trust me, there is still someone waiting for you to come back home.”

        “I have no home. Theirs is no home for me here on this planet. You are my home.”

        “And my home is inside your heart. I’m always with you, giving you support, energy, and a home.”

       “I miss you so much. I miss you omma.” Taecyeon showers with tears as he sees his mom in the river.

       “I miss you too. You have to be strong Taecyeon. I know you’re trying your best, but you give up yourself yet. Fight to live your love ones. You can beat death. I know you can…Taecyeon.”

       The sadden tear drop glide his right cheek as he motionlessly stares at the river. Everything around him and the noise around him have vanish.

       Suzy walking by the Han River sees a familiar figure standing at the edge of the trail. She walk up closer and recognized the face.  A short moment later, Seulong arrive at the Han River and sees Taecyeon at the end of the trail near the river.

        “Taecyeon oppa!” Suzy shouted.

        “Mianhe omma.” His arms lift up and spread apart with his eyes close. Taecyeon slightly lift his right leg up toward the river….and he fall.

        “Taec!” Seulong shouted as he run to the river.

        Suzy quickly run to the river. Seulong hurriedly took off his jacket and jump into the river. Suzy stop atop and worriedly waited for Seulong to pull Taecyeon up.

        “Taecyeon oppa!” Suzy continues shouting for him.

        Slowly inundated in the cold river was the only Taecyeon could erase the memories that left him nothing but pain that is buried inside of him… memories that he wish to  have never happen, but only to see Yoona in his mind. Her voice echoes repeatedly inside his head. “Taecyeon oppa… please don’t….Taecyeon oppa.”

       “Taecyeon don’t do this… open your eyes.” His mom said.

       Seulong reaches his right hand out and grab a hold of Taecyeon left wrist, and pull him toward him. He secure his arm around Taecyeon should and quickly up for air. Pedaling to the surface, he drag him onto the grass and lay him there.

        Seulong lightly slap his cheeks, trying to wake him. “Taecyeon! Wake up dude. This is not funny.”

        Suzy put her right ear at Taecyeon chest, carefully listening to his heartbeat. Thump. Thump. His heart is still beating against her ear. Seulong place two hands at his chest, he forcefully pressed forward than rest, and then continues with the same procedure till Taecyeon spit out waters. A smile of relief, Suzy pull Taecyeon up to a sitting position and lightly patted his back.

       “Thank god you’re alright.” Suzy said in a grateful tone.

       “What were you thinking!” Seulong shouted fiercely at Taecyeon. “Are you out of your mind!”

       Taecyeon silently blankly look at the ground.

      “Do you think dying is the only way out? Do you really think that jumping in the river and drowning will solve everything? No! You will only worse. If I weren’t here, you could have ready die in the en cold river! And no, don’t think that everybody will forget about you. Not Yoona, not me, and not your parent. They will grieve over your death.” Seulong angrily scold Taecyeon who silently looked at the grass.

      “Seulong, stop it.” Said Suzy. “He will be death because of your yelling.”

      “He’s already death in one ear!” Seulong blurt out.

      Suzy face gone shock as she look at him than to Taecyeon. “Wh—what are you talking about?”

      Seulong gulp before he continues to speak, “That day at the cafeteria when Siwon uncontrollably throw the chair at Taecyeon but didn’t know Yoona stood in between. Taecyeon immediately cover Yoona and took the hit. That hit have damage his right eardrum, and now, he can hear us only with his left ear.” He briefly explained to Suzy.

      “Is that why you didn’t turn around? You……you didn’t hear me calling your name?” Suzy questioned him. “Why didn’t you treat your hearing? Why didn’t you go to the doctor?”

      “It doesn’t matter if I can hear or not. Maybe this is best way to forget…to erase everything I’ve heard.” Said Taecyeon hopelessly.

      Seulong despondently chuckles as he drop back on the grass. “It seem like you lost your ways in this world.”

       Tears slowly running down her cheek as she grabs onto Taecyeon left arm. “Taecyeon oppa……why are you doing this to yourself?”

       He lift his head up and look at her with his pale and painful face, a forceful soft smile flashed across his face, “Don’t cry.”

       Suzy shut her eyes as more and more tears running down her cheeks. Taecyeon got up on his feet and walks away, leaving Suzy sitting there in tears. Seulong sighed and looks at the river, until he suddenly hear a noise. He turn his head around and sees on the ground, groaning in pain.  

        “Taec!” Seulong shouted as he run to him.

        Suzy quickly open her eyes and sees Taecyeon on the ground shaking vigorously. “Oppa!”

        “Ah—ahh.” Taecyeon cried in pain as he grip fight tightly together.

        “Where is your medicine?” Seulong asked as he search Taecyeon’s jacket pocket and could not find them anywhere on Taecyeon. “You didn’t bring them with you?”

         The pain increase as Taecyeon grab onto Seulong arm while his other hand press at his hip.

         “What happening? What happen to Taecyeon oppa?” Suzy frightfully asked Seulong.

         “Ahhhh!” Taecyeon painfully shout.

         “We need to call Mr. Ok.” Said Suzy.

          “No—don’t…” Taecyeon begged as his forehead filled with sweat. The cry of pains continues to ring in their ears as they try to look for help.

          “Why is he like this?” Suzy asked again. “What is he hiding from everybody?”

          “No time to explain. We need to take him to the hospital now!” Said Seulong as he lift Taecyeon up onto his back and hurriedly run to his car. Suzy follow closely behind them.

 

To be continues…………………………