Ch. 36: Refrain

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

            Since the heartbroken break up and Taecyeon leaving in anger, Yoona have locked herself in her room, embracing her pillow, and silently cries. The house is really quiet. Footsteps are hearable, clear as a crystal shinning bright under the moon. Taecyeon have not come back. Many hours have passed, the sun has set and the moon has rise. Mrs. Im opens the door and sees her daughter sitting on the bed and hugging her pillow as tears continues to glide down her cheeks. Guilty for hurting her daughter because of her selfishness, Mrs. Im let go of the doorknob and walks to over to Yoona bed. Mrs. Im let go of the doorknob and walks up to Yoona. She sat in front of her and looks at her. Yoona immediately wipe her tears away and force a smile on her face.

            “Omma.” Yoona said nearly in whispered.

            “Gwaenchan-ah?” Mrs. Im asked.

            Yoona forcefully nodded her head. “I’m fine.”

            “You voice tells me you’re not.” Said Mrs. Im.

            Yoona gulp as he looks down at the blanket.

            “I know it hurt a lot. I know you’re trying to hold yourself together. I’ve heard everything you said to Taecyeon and I know you were lying to him. You were trying to be strong, be cruel, be heartless, so that way Taecyeon would accept the break up and move on. But you… your heart….”

            “I’m fine omma.” Yoona cut her off. “It’s better if I be heartless and end it painfully now than us suffering more pain later on.” She said.

            “Mianhe Yoona.” Mrs. Im her hair gently as she looks into her sad and red eyes. “Come on, dinner is ready.” She stands and walks to the door until Yoona grab her left hand and stop her.

            “Omma, have… have Taecyeon oppa come home yet?” Yoon asked.

            Mrs. Im shook her head no then Yoona let go of her hands and Mrs. Im leave her room. Staring out the window, she sees stars blinking in the sky. It brought back memory, memory of her and him under the starry night sky. It was their first happy moment together. Suddenly, she sees him standing outside behind the glass door. Her eyes shock wide as her heart beats nervously fast. She close her eyes immediately, shook her head in denial than open her eyes again. He was gone. She knew then it was just and illusion. He was never there.

            Putting the pillow to the side, Yoona get out of bed and head downstairs into the kitchen where Mr. Ok is sitting at the center of the table and Mrs. Im bring silverwares to the table. Yoona walks up to the table and join. Mrs. Im take a seat after bringing a big bowl of soup to the table. Mr. Ok pick up his chopstick and begin to eat while Yoona stare at the table for a moment.

            “Yobo, should we check on Taecyeon?” Mrs. Im asked.

            “No.” Mr. Ok answered in a careless tone. “He won’t died, just eat.”

            With his tone, Yoona and Mrs. Im begin to eat. It was a silent dinner.

* * * *

            Entering the room, walking up to her bed, she looks at the cellphone sitting on the flat surface of the nightstand. She was expecting something, a flash, a vibration, or a ring from someone she have been waiting for since the day he walks out of the door. But none of it is happening; her phone was just sitting there like a dead fish in the river.

            Yoona sat on her bed and cuddles her legs together as she stares at the bed sheet. Slowly tears begin to fall again. Suddenly, a couple knocks that shake her heart and eagerly lift her head to the door. The doorknob twist and a slight push, she sees her mom instead of the person her heart wanted to see.

            Mrs. Im walks up to and take a seat at the end of the bed beside her, “How are you feeling?” She whispered.

            Yoona force a smile on her face, “I’m fine.” Her voice trembles.

            Looking at the jaw, Mrs. Im saw a teardrop drop down to Yoona’s hand. She lift her right hand up to her cheek and gently wipe the remaining tears away. “Mianhe.” She apologized.

            “Omma…”

            “I know you’re in pain. I know you’re trying to do your best for omma and appa. But sometime letting tears out will make you feel better.” Said Mrs. Im.

            All the tears she has been trying to hold back drown her cheeks. “Omma, I hurt him. He hates me now.”

            “It’s okay, Yoona. He doesn’t hate you. Just give him some time. Maybe, time is what he needs to clear all of this.” Said Mrs. Im as she Yoona hairs gently.

            “Omma, what can I do now? What should I do now? My heart hurts so much.” Yoona sobs.

            Mrs. Im could only sighed as watches tear after tear gliding down Yoona’s cheek. She have never seen Yoona this heart broken, she have never seen Yoona cried this much beside her deceased dad. The more she watch Yoona in miserable, the more guilty she feels like million of ants biting every pieces of her heart. The only thing she can do right now is to try her best and comfort her, eventhough she knows that it’s defected.   

* * * *

            Sun rises to its highest level; Yoona woke up from her miserable night. Yoona looked at the full-length window, staring outside to a beautiful morning; suddenly Taecyeon appears outside on her balcony. Suddenly the words she had said to him whispered inside her head, “It was all a game. I’ve never loved you. I pity you.” Yoona immediately looked away and closed her eyes tightly. She counted, “1…2…3.” She opens her eyes and slowly looked at her balcony again. He wasn’t there anymore. Yoona quickly got out of bed and walks to the glass door, open it, and step outside. She looks around and he wasn’t anywhere near her; no foot marks, doors to his room are still close, and the gate to the back door is also closed. Yoona inhales a couple times and realize it was just an illusion. She misses him dearly.

            Strolling down the hallway soullessly, Yoona came to a pause at Taecyeon’s locker. Looking to her right at the empty space, she only sees Seulong taking his notebook out of his locker beside Taecyeon’s locker. Sooyoung walks up to her and swing her right arm across Yoona’s shoulder.

            “Hey, what’s up?” Sooyoung asked.

            Seulong close his locker and walks up to them. “Hi Yoona.” He looks around, looking for Taecyeon. “Where is Taecyeon? Aren’t you two always together?”

            Yoona didn’t answer him and just look down at the floor.

            “Did something happen between you two?” Sooyoung asked after noticing Yoona unhappy face.

            Not answering again, Yoona walk straight to her locker. Seulong and Sooyoung followed her.

            “Yoona?” Sooyoung grabbed Yoona’s right shoulder and slightly turn her around. Immediately, she caught Yoona in tears. “Tell me what happen, Yoona?”

            “Taecyeon and I…. we broke up.” Yoona said in a heartbroken tone.

            Seulong and Sooyoung eyes jolt wide. “WHAT!”

            Nearly everyone in the hall turns and looks at them. Sooyoung clear after she noticed everyone noisily looking at them.

            “Get back to your talking.” Sooyoung said to everyone.

            Once they did, Sooyoung turn her attention back to Yoona and grabs her left arm. “What happen? Did he broke up with you? What did he do?”

            “Hey! Don’t assuming that this is all Taecyeon fault. I’ve know him since we were kid, he wouldn’t hurt her.”

            “You can never know. He could be a different person when you are not around him.” Said Sooyoung confidently.

            “It’s my fault.” Yoona cut in. “I broke up with him. I hurt him.”

            “What? Why?” Sooyoung shockingly looks at her. “I thought you love him a lot. I thought you wanted to be with him for the rest of your life?”

            “I do but I can’t hurt my parent. I can’t ruin omma because of mine.” Said Yoona sadly.

            Seulong sighed, “This is so confusing. Relationship is so confusing.” He said as he rubs the side of his forehead.

            “So you…”

            “I told him lies.” Said Yoona. “And you two can’t say any of this to him.”

            “He’s going to hate you.” Said Sooyoung.

            “I know.”

            “He won’t.” Seulong cut in. “Trust me, he won’t hate you.”

            With that words being said, it makes Yoona feels more guilty and sad as the though to of Taecyeon and the hurtful words she said to him cross her mind. If only they weren’t caught than maybe they can have a chance of still being together until the very right time to tell their parent instead of painfully ending their relationship.  

* * * *

            Nearly a week has passed since anybody have seen Taecyeon in school or at home. He has gone MIA, nobody know where he is act or what he is doing. Yoona have tried giving him a call hoping to know if he is at or what he is doing, she worries about him and wanting to ask him more through his voice mail but didn’t. She even went to his mom cemetery hoping to bump into him and get him to come home, but for many days he did not show up. Seulong also gave him a called to know where he is and to let him know that Ms. Hyori have failed him for more than three absents. Mrs. Im worries about his sake and hope he come home. None of the calls was return. He had completely shut his phone down as he wondered the city every night, going to the bar, and staying at a motel. This time he did not go to his mom cemetery knowing that someone will be there.

            Standing in front of her locker with Sooyoung next to her, she paused and glances at Taecyeon’s locker. He’s not there. The girls only see Seulong trying to get his notebook. Yoona went back to what she was doing then walks to class with Sooyoung.

            “So have you been talking to Taecyeon at all since the break up?” Sooyoung asked.

            Yoona shook her head weakly, “He haven’t been home.”

            Sooyoung sighed, “I guess he’s still really angry.” She said.

            After Hyori gave instruction to the class, everybody went to practice their part in a small group of 4-5 people on the stages while Hyori watches from the audiences seat. The door into the auditorium open and a small light sneak inside accompany by a shadow. A tall muscular shadow continues to walk down the aisle as the door shut. Sooyoung, facing the door, spotted a familiar figure and immediately tap on Yoona to turned around. Through Sooyoung’s shock eyes, Yoona quickly turn around and see Taecyeon talking to Hyori. After a week has passed, she sees him here, but the image she sees worries her. He lost a little bit of weight; hair is no longer spike, and the hopeless eyes. She couldn’t hear what they were talking about but she could see their mouth moving and him holding onto papers. Taecyeon gave Hyori the paper; she signed it before handing it back to him. He turns facing the exit and walks without looking at Yoona or Seulong.

            “I’ll be right back.” Yoona said before she gets off the stage and went after Taecyeon.

            Exit the auditorium, Yoona lost track of Taecyeon.  Looking from right to left, she couldn’t find him anywhere in the hallway.

            “Where did he go?” Yoona whispered as she takes the left hall and search. Walking around the hall, looking left to right, and turning many corner as she calls his name; not in a loud tone or small tone, it was enough for him to hear a couple door away from where she was.

            She stopped and looked around, she felt Taecyeon present near by but she could not see him anywhere. “Oppa!” She shouted as she continues searching for him from hall to hall. Passed the empty classed that Taecyeon was hiding, he carefully stay hidden and watches her continues looking for him. “Oppa!” She continues shouting for him. He wanted to run out and embrace her tightly, but refrain himself from doing so because he fear…. he fear she will said the things he doesn’t want to hear again.

            Tighten this grip on the doorknob with his eyes closes, “It’s not real…this is not real…” he whispered despondent heart.

            Inhale and exhale a couple times before he twist and turn the doorknob, he exit the room and walks the opposite direction to the main office and summit a form. In minutes, he was no longer in the building and far away from Yoona.

 

To be continue………………………..