Ch 4: A Start

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

 

“What should I do, omma?” Taecyeon quietly asked her. “Please tell… tell me what should I do?”

            “What do you feel?” Mrs. Ok asked as she looks at the sky.

            “I don’t know what I feel.” Taecyeon hopelessly answered. “I don’t know what my heart feels?”

            “That’s not an answered. You can’t say you don’t know what you feel when, in fact, you do feel something.” Said Mrs. Ok. She patted his head gently. “Why don’t you try to listen to what your heart say, not your mind.”

            “I want to, but I can’t.” Said Taecyeon lonesome.

            “Why?” Mrs. Ok curiously asked, “Why can’t my son listen to his heart? Is it because there’s a girl you lik…”

            Taecyeon sat straight. “No.“ He cut her off. “No one can replace you. You will always be the only important person in my heart.”

            Mrs. Ok smiles as she cupped his face. “I’m not going anywhere. You no I’ll always be by your side, but I’m no longer in this world. You can’t keep rejecting people. You can’t keep pushing them away.” She let go of his face. Taecyeon looks down. “So this is not about your new family, but more of a girl.” She smiles. “Taecyeon-ah, my dear son, this is your life. You have to go after what you want, what you love. You have to chase after your future.” Lifting his head up and looks at the sky with his mom. “Why don’t you start step by step?” She gives him advice. “When omma was still here, omma usually see people start out from stranger to friend and maybe…. more.”

            “Can I?” Taecyeon silently asked.

            “Base in law, you and her are sister, but base on love, you two are just two people chasing after each other happiness.” Mrs. Ok calmly said, hoping her words would affect him somehow. “Time is not important. The important thing is a person’s feeling. What they felt? What they think? What they want? It is not the key.”

            Taecyeon sighed and closed his eyes, letting the light shine at him. “Thank you omma.” He whispered softly.

* * *

            Spending nearly eight hours cruising the city with her mom, they finally arrive home. Taking off their shoes then put on their slipper before they walk to kitchen and place the grocery bags on the table. The house phone rings loudly a couple times.

            “Hello?” Mrs. Im answered the phone.

            “Yobo, it’s me.” Mr. Ok said. “How is everything? Did you ladies go anywhere?”

            “We did. We wander the city a little, getting to know the place better.” Mrs. Im answered.

            “That’s good, I thought you were going to be bore just staying home. Sorry I could take you too anywhere today.” Mr. Ok apologized. “Where is Taecyeon? Is he home?”

            Mr. Ok words caught Yoona attentions.

            “ I don’t think so.” Said Mrs. Im. She looked at Yoona, “Can you go see if Taecyeon is home or not?”

            Yoona nod. “Sure.”

            Mrs. Im continues to talk to Mr. Ok over the phone. The worries Yoona go looking around the house—from the living room down the halls, the backyard, front yard, and then up the stair into his room. Looking around his room, she only sees the glass door to the balcony open and the winds blowing into his room.

            “No wonder he’s always cold.” Yoona murmured, as she walks up to the glass door and slide it close. Heading back to the door, she suddenly stop at his desk when something got her eyes. A picture of his mom sat beside the computer screen with a bracelet next to the frame that catches her attention. She picks up the bracelet, holding it in her hand, and looks at it closely. “This is a girl’s bracelet. Why does he have a girl bracelet? Who does this bracelet belong too?” She quietly yet curiously asked herself as she constantly look at the bracelet.  

B6033100_0_cartier_bracelets.png?itok=Sr

            Taecyeon entered the house—take off his shoes—put on the slippers and walks down the hall to the open connected kitchen and living room. He stopped and looked at Mrs. Im, who is on the phone talking to his dad happily. Hesitate to greet her, he silently walks to the stairs and to his room where he sees Yoona standing in front of his desk—holding onto his mom bracelet—and constantly staring at it. He dash to her and fiercely snatch the bracelet off her hands. He startled her.

            “Don’t touch my things!” Taecyeon spoke in anger. “I told you not to come into my room! Why are you here?” He angrily raised his voice at her.

            Frighten by his tone and fiery eyes, “I—I was just looking for…” She stuttered nervously. “I—I….”

            “Get out of my room.” Taecyeon ordered, pointing at the door. “I don’t want you in my room anymore.”

            Hurt by his tone and action. Tears overwhelm her eyes as she unconsciously stares at his fierce eyes.

            “I say get out of my room!” Taecyeon repeat in the same tone as he point his right hand at the door.

            “I will! From now I won’t care about you anymore. I won’t bother you anymore!” Tears strolling down her eyes, she push him aside and storm out of his room before tears escape her eyes. She closed the door behind, covered and immediately head to her room, and silently cries in her room.

            Taecyeon take regretful deep breath and curses himself as he grips onto the bracelet tightly. “What are you doing, Ok Taecyeon? What did you just do?” He murmured. He sat down on the chair and threw the bracelet onto the table.

* * *

            It’s night. Mr. Ok is home from work. Mrs. Im just finished cooking dinner. Yoona help carries the plates to the dinning table. Mr. Ok walks over to the table from the living room. He took a seat at the center.

            Mrs. Im walks to the stairs. “Taecyeon-ah! Come down. Dinner is ready.” Mrs. Im loudly called him. She waits at the stair for him.

            Taecyeon walks out of the room. Mrs. Im smiles seeing Taecyeon walk down the stairs to the kitchen with Mrs. Im.

            “How is your arm?” Mrs. Im asked.

            “It’s better now.” Taecyeon answered in a low tone.

            “That’s good.” Said Mrs. Im.

            Entering the kitchen, Taecyeon looks at Yoona, who is avoiding him. Seating in their seats, they begin to eat. Dinner was quiet between Yoona and him. Only secretly send from Taecyeon. Mr. Ok and Mrs. Im were to distract in their own little world. Grinning his teeth, Taecyeon put down his coldness and place a piece of meat in her bowl. Yoona sees it, but at the same time she pretend nothing was put in her bowl. Taecyeon frustratedly looks away. He put down his chopstick and bowl, and then stood, catching Mr. Ok and Mrs. Im attention only.

            “I’m done.” Said Taecyeon before he walks away from the table.

            “Don’t forget to pack. We’re leaving tomorrow.” Said Mr. Ok.

            Taecyeon kept walking back to his room. Yoona glances at him, desolately watches him walks back to his room. She sighed and looks back at her bowl hopelessly.

            Two hours later, everybody was in there room. Yoona walks out of the bathroom after her shower. Drying her hairs as she walks to her room, she stopped when she spotted sticky note on her door. She grabbed the note and read it.

            “Yoona… I know I should be doing this in person, but I can’t. You may think because of my pride, but I actually don’t know how to apologize to a girl. I’ve never done it before. So I decided to write you this note…. I’m sorry about earlier. I’m sorry for yelling at you. I’m sorry for making you cry on your second day here. I didn’t mean too, but I couldn’t help it. The bracelet you held in your hand—it belong to my mom. It's the only thing she left behind. It's the only thing I have of hers. It’s very important to me. I hope you understand and forgive me. I promise I’ll try to control myself for you. Mianhe Yoona. –Taecyeon.”

            A smile flashes across her face as she read the note again. She turned and looked at Taecyeon’s room. Somehow, she end up in front of his door with her hand up in the air and ready to knock. But she stops herself and just stood. Looking at the door, she remembers his gentle and caring side toward her this morning. She wraps her left hand around her right wrist, feeling his warmness in her. Yoona head back to her room, grabbing onto the doorknob, she look at his room one last time before she close her door.

* * *

            The next morning, Taecyeon was getting ready in his room—packing a few clothes and item in his bag. He walks over to his desk and grabbed his mom bracelet. He put it in his pocket. Down the stairs, Yoona, Mrs. Im, and Mr. Ok were already ready. Rechecking everything again before leaving the house, someone rang the doorbells.

            “I’ll answer it.” Yoona delightedly said. She joyfully rushed to the door and opened it. In front is a beautiful y young lady with a bag in her hand looking at her weirdly.

            “Who are you?” The young lady asked.

            “Yoona.” She answered her.

            “Oh, you must be Taecyeon oppa new sister.” The young lady smiles.

            “And you are?” Yoona asked.

            “Yuri. Ok Yuri. His cousin.” Said Yuri. The two bluntly stood and weirdly looked at each other. “You are not bad yourself.” She give a dirty looks before she enter the house. “Where is ahjussi and Taecyeon oppa?” She asked in a diva tone as if Yoona was the maid.

            Yoona uncomfortably closed the door and followed her. “They are in the living room.” She said.

            Yuri looks at Yoona with a smirk before she continues her way to the living room. Taecyeon exit the room and sees a note on his door. He peels it off and read it.

            “You are forgiven. –Yoona.”

            Taecyeon lightly smiles before he tucks the note into his back pocket and walks down the stairs. Walking into the living, he sees Yuri have arrive and is waiting for departure.

            Yuri turns around and smiles upon seeing him. She run to him and embrace him, “Taecyeon oppa.” She happily greeted him.

            Yoona caught surprise by Yuri action and felt awkwardly uncomfortable at her chest. She looks away immediately. Taecyeon was shock himself seeing suddenly hugging him. He looks over at Yoona and sees her eyes somewhere else. He pulled Yuri away.

            “You did it Yoona. You convinced him.” Mrs. Im happily whispered to her. “It seem like he’s opening up to you.”

            Though she is happy that he’s coming, but from what she’s seeing in front of her, Yoona could only jealously looks away.

            “Yah, can’t you be nice to me? I’m giving you a morning hug.” Said Yuri.

            “I didn’t ask for it.” Taecyeon gave a stony answered.

            Yuri irritatedly looks at him before she pinches his right cheek. “It been a while since I’ve seen you, so how have you been?” She asked.

            Taecyeon grabbed her away from his face.

            “Okay, let head out.” Mr. Ok announced.

            Mr. Ok carries the cooler bin with two bags on top of it. Mrs. Im carries grocery bags. Taecyeon sees Yoona struggling with her bags and the tents bags. He walks pass Yuri over to her and quietly helps carries the load. Yoona speechlessly watches him. Yuri gives her dirty looks before she ily turns around and walks out of the house.

            Stacking everything in the back of the cars, Taecyeon push the door down, closing it. He dusts his hands before walking to the back seat and sat on the left side while Yuri sat in the middle and Yoona on the right. Mr. Ok soon hit the road. Yuri links her arms around his and rests her head on his shoulder. Yoona tries to ignore it, but kept secretly glancing at him.

            Mr. Ok take a peak at the rear mirror, “Yuri, this is your ajumma and her daughter Yoona. She younger than you by two years, so I want you to treat her nicely.” Mr. Ok instructed her.

            “Okay ahjussi. I know.” Yuri annoyingly said. “Where are we camping anyway?” Yuri changed the topic.

            “I’ve reserve a spot at Natural Campsite, Seoul Grand Park.” Said Mr. Ok.

            “That’s at National Museum of Contemporary Art, it’s about an hour from here.” Said Yuri.

            “Do you like it there? I’ve never been camping before so I don’t know much about it.” Said Mrs. Im.

            “It’s okay. At least it the second best camping spot in Korea.” Said Yuri

            “Where the first camping spot?” Mrs. Im asked.

            “Nanji Park.” Yuri answered.

            “That place is more like vacation than family time.” Said Mr. Ok.

            “It’s the same thing.” Said Yuri. “With additional features such as hot tub, bathing house, spa, and many other things I like.” She smiles widely.

            Mr. Ok sighed. The cars become quite again with only music from the radio station playing in the car. Yoona secretly looks at Taecyeon through the reflection of her window. The clueless Taecyeon constantly stare out the window.  Yoona pulled her window down for a little fresh air; was getting dry and the images of Yuri resting on Taecyeon shoulder suffocate her.

             Yuri irritated look at Yoona, giving her dirty looks. “Are you crazy? It’s cold.” She said.

            “Mianhe.” Yoona pull the window up, closing the window. Yoona quietly cough a couple time, looking out the window.

            Taecyeon secretly glance at her, knowing is dry.

            “Yah, You must have stay in Japan to long and gotten use to the weather that is why you don’t feel cold.” Said Yuri to Yoona.

            Taecyeon reaches for his bag in back and grabbed a bottle of water from the side pocket and handed to Yoona. Yuri jaw drops in shock. Yoona look at him madly. She looks away, ignoring him. Taecyeon, unknowingly why she’s acting this way, gripped onto the bottle and pulled his arm back. Yuri quickly took the bottle out of his hand.

            “Thank you oppa.” Yuri happily said, pretending the bottle of water was for her.

            Yoona tries not to look at her jealously. Taecyeon just look out the window again.

* * *

            Arrived at their destination, Mr. Ok parked his SUV at the security gate parking lot where all campers park their cars. Everyone steps out of the car and walks to the trunk. Mr. Ok lift the door up and began carrying a couples bags before he began to hike up the hills. Mrs. Im also helps out with the grocery bags then follow closely behind him. Taecyeon grabs the heavy bags, total of three bags, before he takes off. It was Yoona turn to carry something; she steps forward but got cut off by Yuri. Yuri pushed her aside and grabbed the lightest thing left in the cars. Leaving her the big bag of heavy items. Yuri runs up to Taecyeon and links her arms around his. Taecyeon and looked her stonily. He looks back at Yoona and sees her struggling with a bag. He walks to her, leaving the shock Yuri watching. Lifting-dropping-lifting it up again, Yoona struggle with the bag. Suddenly, a hand grabbed the bag holder and lifts it up easily. Yoona looks up and see Taecyeon in front of her.

            “I don’t need your help.” Yoona tried to hide her angry-jealousy tone.

            Taecyeon ignore her, he turn around and begin to walk. Yoona quickly run to him, grabbed his arm, and stop him. Looking into his eyes, she sees something different. Not only have his personality change, but also the way he act and looks at her have all change. It is not the same Taecyeon she met two days ago at the airport—a lonely and sorrow man. Right now, she sees is a whole new man in front of her—a man bursting out for help.

 

To be continue………………………….