Ch. 5 Taecyeon oppa

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

            Setting the tents up in a circle, leaving space for the fire in the center, Taecyeon have securely put up three tents, while Mr. Ok is still working on his. He walks over to his dad, but stop when his dad lifts his hand up at him.

            “It’s okay, I got this.” Said Mr. Ok, holding onto the tent stick. “Um… why don’t you go get some woods?”

            Taecyeon lightly nodded before he head into the forest.

            “Wait oppa.” Yuri run after him, “I’ll come with you!” Her shouted caught Yoona attention, who is helping her mom sorting out the silverwares and cooking accessories onto the long table.

            Yoona glance at him, watching them walks into the woods uncomfortably. Jealously she looks the opposite direction, trying to erase all the thoughts that hurt her at the moment.     

            “Are you feeling okay?” Mrs. Im concernly asked.

            Yoona force a fake smile on her face, “No—umm… I’m fine.” Yoona stuttered nervously. “Is there anything else you want me to help you with?” Yoona change the topic.

            “No, you can you relax. There’s a stream just 3 miles from here.” Mrs. Im advises her. “Why don’t you go for a walk? No swimming.” She jokingly said.

            Yoona gave a weak smile before she dismissed herself. She walks into her tent, the tent that Taecyeon have set up for her and Yuri. Taking her shoes off, she entered her tent and sat boringly inside. Looking to her right, she sees a small bottle with a sticky note stick onto it. Seeing her name on it, she picks it up and holds it in front of her, and read the sticky note.

            “Drink this. It’s honey ginger tea. It will help with your sore throat. –Taecyeon.”

            Yoona smiles the more she looks and reread the notes over again. Taecyeon and Yuri came back thirty minutes later with woods in their arms. Yuri was pouting tiredly. Taecyeon walks to the center and placed the woods down by the fire circle. Yoona walks out of her tent—put on her boot and turn around. Taecyeon stand up again. Their eyes met. Looking from her eyes, his eyes move down to her right hand where she holds an empty bottle. Happy on the inside, Taecyeon kept a blunt face facing her.

            “ Ahjussi, Taecyeon oppa makes me carry heavy wood. I’m a girl, I can't carry heavy things. I can’t even do heavy lifting.” Yuri exaggerate to Mr. Ok.

            Mr. Ok smiles at Yuri. “You are girl. Yoona is also a girl, but she does a better job than you.” He jokingly said.

            Yuri viciously smirks as she gave Yoona dirty glares. “She’s probably a man in a woman form.” She murmured.  

            Taecyeon overheard what Yuri said and found it funny but did not smile.

            “Taecyeon, why don’t you take the girls for a walk along the river?” Mr. Ok suggested.

            “I’m stay and help omma.” Yoona volunteer.

            “No, I’m fine.” Said Mrs. Im. “You go ahead and have fun.”

            “That sounds good to me.” Yuri immediately links her arms around Taecyeon. “Come on oppa, let’s go.” She dragged him with her.

            “Be safe.” Mr. ok shouted. He looks at Yoona with smiles. “Go.” He said.

            Yoona sighed and walks behind Taecyeon and Yuri. Glancing from time after time, she tries to ignore them, but the uncomfortable feeling override her. Listening to Yuri talks nonstop annoys her. Taecyeon himself was pretending to be death. Yoona begin looking at other direction, memorizing the beauty scenario in front of her as she walks along the river. From mountains to rocks—trees—leaves—birds—squirrel—and many others things around her. She stops when she caught a bunny by a tree near the river—eating leafs. Quietly and gently like airs, she walks over to the white bunny. Taecyeon stopped when he stops hearing Yoona footsteps. He turns around and sees her playing with a bunny. Yuri notice Taecyeon had stop and looking at something. She follows his direction, her eyes filled with hate and disgust as she looks at Yoona.

            “Taecyeon oppa, I lost my bracelet. Can you help me find it?” Yuri lied to him. Taecyeon looked at her, hesitated to give her answer. Yoona ignores them as she continues to play with the bunny. He looks at Yoona again. “Please.” Yuri begged, trying to get his attention back to her. 

            Taecyeon went to look for her bracelet. Yuri waits for him to go farther before she walks up to Yoona. Dirtily looking at her and annoy by her kindness and angelic heart.

            “You don’t have to pretend anymore.” Said Yuri as she walks up to her.

            Yoona cluelessly looks at her, not understanding what she meant. “What?”

            “You know what I mean. He’s gone now.” Said Yuri, “You can show that ugly face of yours now.” She smirked. “Pretending to be weak and getting him to worry and care for you, it’s obvious you wanted Taecyeon oppa attention.” She jerked.

            Yoona stands up and face her directly at the same level. “I don’t understand what you mean. I didn’t pretend anything. I didn’t ask him to care about me.” She said.

            “Yeah right, that’s not going to fixed what I see.” Said Yuri with her arms crossed. “Yah, I never seen a long face like you, thinking your pretty, but in fact, you are very ugly on the inside.”

            Yoona impatiently inhale and exhale as she took a moment to look to the side, relieving her negative energy, before directing her attention back to Yuri. “Say whatever you want. I don’t care.” Yoona turned around, heading back to the tent.

            Yuri run up to her, grabbed her left arm, and turned her around facing her again, “Yah, I’m still talking to you.” She raised her tone at Yoona. “I’m his cousin and is older than you, you need to show some respect to your senior.”

            “I did.” Said Yoona. “But my respect is only for those who are ‘real’ and ‘mature’ people. So please let go of my hand.”

            “You’re calling me immature?” Yuri glared at her.

            “I didn’t say you are immature, I only say you don’t deserve my respect with that attitude of yours.” Yoona corrected her. “I do respect you because you are also my cousin now, but the way your acting and how you are talking really gives me no choice.”

            Yoona words anger her, staring at her with fire in her eyes, Yuri pushes her into the river.

            “Ahh!” Yoona screamed as she falls into the stream. “Help!” She pleaded, trying to swim up. “I—I can’t…. I can’t swim.”

            Yuri smirked, “Yeah right. You live in Japan. Japan is surround by water, of course you know how to swim.” Said Yuri before she walks away.

            “Help!” Yoona called out loud as she tries paddling her legs. “Help—help…” Trying to keep her head up for air, she ends up drowning. “Please…”

            The ignorant Yuri was already far away, letting the helpless Yoona struggling to strive up for air. Paddling her legs and arms as much and fast as she could to keep her head up, her energy slowly drifts away. Her body weakens, surrendering to the water. Hopelessly, she closed her eyes, letting her body slowly sink deeper in the river; she have come to accepted her fate—to died. Holding onto her breath till the last moment, she remembers her terrifying past.

~~~~~~Flashback

            In the boat with her dad, the 8 years old Yoona happily wonders around the fishing boat. Mr. Im happily follows her, keeping her away from the edge.

            “Appa, fishy I flying.” The little Yoona pointed.

            “I see.” Mr. Im responded. “Be careful. Don’t come to close to the edge.”

            The little Yoona cutely nodded to her father.

            The little Yoona continues to watches the fishes jumping out of the water than back into the water. She claps every time a fish jump higher out of the water.

            “Appa, are there any other fish in the river?” The little Yoona asked.

            Mr. Im shook his head, “No, only catfish and little harmless fish.” Said Mr. Im

            The little Yoona continues to smiles as she watches the fishes swim with her. An employee walks up to him, whispering a few words in one of his ear. Mr. Im looks back at the little Yoona and he walks up to her.

            “Yoona, appa have to go do something for a little bit. Stay here okay?” Mr. Im asked. Yoona nodded. “Remember, do not cross the bar and don’t take off your life jacket okay?”

            The little Yoona nodded. Mr. Im pecked her head before he walks into a room with the employee where the meeting takes place. Suddenly a fish jump so high—over Yoona head, she jump in joy as she claps her hands loudly. Another fish did the same, making the little Yoona more happy and eagerly to be the same height. She looks around the place and found a chair at the end of the boat. Walking over to it, she got onto the chair—standing tall. She is now the same height with the fish jumping height. The little Yoona jumps in joy. The boat suddenly turn, she lost her balance and fell into the river. Paddling her hands and legs, she float thanks to the life jacket.

            “Appa.” The little Yoona cried.  “Appa, come back.”

            The boat flows farther away. Mr. Im was still in the room talking to the staff. The door were shut tight, he could not hear Yoona crying out loud for him. Floating in the river, the little Yoona shed endless fearful tears as she continues to cry for her dad in a big deep river.

~~~~~~~~~End of Flashback   

            Petrified by her past, she suddenly thinks of Taecyeon. “Taecyeon oppa.” She whispered his name in her head. “Taecyeon oppa, please save me.” She silently called for him. “Please…”

            A big splash, a body dive into the river and paddles his legs as fast as he could—swimming to her. Reaching his right hand out, he boosts himself closer to her and grabbed her left hand, pulling her to him. Yoona’s eyes flung open in his shock. She sees him in front of her. She couldn’t believe it, her pleading for him to come rescue her—he actually heard her calling out for him.

            “He’s here. He came to save me.” She said inside her head.

             Looking into each other eyes, he put her hands on his shoulder as he rests his at her hips. Taecyeon looks up, seeing how deep they are before he paddles his legs up—gently and softly like a mermaid. Unconsciously, she looks at him as they float up peacefully as if an angel have rise from hell. They were up and near the shore. Taecyeon carefully swim to the shore with Yoona in his arms. Close enough for him to stand on his two feet; he carries her in his arms. Yoona’s eyes have not left him. She’s still shock. Walking out of the water up to the nearest tree, he put her down—resting her body against the tree. Taecyeon went to get his jacket that he took off before diving into the river and head back to Yoona. Spun his jacket in the air, he wraps its’ around her then quickly reach for her hands—holding it together—rubbing his hands over, making friction in between her hand—and blowing warm air to increase the heat. He keeps her warm. Yoona was speechless as she silently watches him. Both body are wet and cold, but hers is warmer while his is colder and waters drips from him.      

            “Are you okay? Your hands are still cold.” Taecyeon embrace her tightly, hoping body to body temperature can keep her warm. Yoona shudders by his unexpected actions and concerns towards her. “It must be negative degrees down there. How could Yuri push you into the river then leave?” Taecyeon worriedly said. “Let’s head back to the tent. You need to change before you catch a cold.” Looking at her, he sees her puzzle face. “Can you walk?”          

            No answer from her, Taecyeon assume she couldn’t. He stood. Yoona quickly grabbed his hand and pulled him back down.

            “Aren’t you cold?” She softly asked him. “Your bandages are wet.” Yoona concernly looked at his right arm.

            Taecyeon pull his sleeves down and nervously looked at her, “I’m fine.” He lied to her. “My arm is fine.”

            “You’re shaking.” Yoona looks at him and sees him trying hard not to shake in front of her.

            “I’m fine, really.” Taecyeon insisted. “Right now, you are not. We need to go back.” He said. “Are you hurt anywhere else?” He asked. Yoona shook her head. He stands up.

            “This is the first time you speak to me this soft.” Said Yoona, looking at him in lost. She knew her feeling is mixed and undefined inside right now.  “Why do you care about me?” She asked him. Taecyeon did not answer her, just letting his back face her. She knew he would not answer her; it’s not the first time he disappointed her. There must be a reason why he never chose to answer the questions she have asked him.  

            A moment of silent, Taecyeon turn around—bend down—and carries her up in his arms again. Startle by his action, Yoona locks her arms around his neck and stares into his eyes as he carries her back to the tent. Counting every step he takes, her heart skips a beat. One step, one heart beat skip.  It was showered in warmness and love that she have always wanted from him since day one. Seeing the drips of water sliding down his face. She gently daps her right hand over it, wiping the waters away. Taecyeon pace began to slow down, and eventually come to a stop. Turning his stiff head to her, he looks into her eye.  Their eyes locked on each other as if time have freeze, the world have freeze. Yoona slowly lower her hand—away from his face down to his shoulder.

            “Do you…” Yoona stopped, knowing it’s wrong to asked him such questioned that can never be answer. But she really wants to know his feeling for her. Does he like her? Does he feel the same way she feel for him? Or it’s just all imagination?

            Looking into her eyes constantly, he waited for her to finish her incomplete question. But he know what she wanted to ask him. He know what she wanted to say to him and he also know that he won’t answer her this question even if it does or does not come out.

 

To be continue…………………….. 

Just want to let you know that I'll be starting my fall semester next week, so it will be hard for me to update frequently or as soon as poosible. It would take me sometime. But anyway, I would like to thank you you readers for reading and liking my story. 

P.S. it would be a little helpful if you could leave some comments telling me what you think or how you like about this story so far. Thank you.