Ch. 17: Running Away

운명의 순간 The Moment of Destiny

          That night was quiet. There were only Mrs. Im and Mr. Ok at the dinning table eating dinner while Yoona and Taecyeon stays in their own rooms. Taecyeon sat on the floor in between the glass door to the balcony and his desk. He rests his back and head against the wall. It was the wall that separates him and Yoona. Just resting his head there, he thinks hard for reason why she’s ignoring. Though she have concluded many answers to him, but his heart is telling him that it‘s all a lie. Sitting on her bed after showering and changing into her PJ, Yoona cover her half with the blanket and cuddles her knees. She sighs many times, trying to push Taecyeon out of her head before she heard a mid-high thump on her balcony. She immediately look up and shock to see him on her balcony. Her heart skips a beat seeing him standing there. Inhaling and exhaling heavily, Taecyeon stood outside in the cold, waiting for her to come out and talk to him. Yoona pulls the blanket off her; she walks up to the glass door and open it.

            “What are you doing here?” Yoona throws questions at him. “Why are you over here? How did you get over here?”

            Intensely looking into her eyes, he pulls her to him, embracing her tightly.

            “Taecyeon oppa.” Yoona confusedly whispered.

            Not answering her question, he only wanted to hold her in his arm to soften his aching worry heart. Unclear why her body is not fighting back—pushing him away, she continues to stay in his arms as they stood out in the cold. Shockingly, both are not shaking, not cold at all. It is because of the embrace? Or is there a further explanation to this?

            Standing silently in his arms, her heart has softened from the anger in her because of him. It all have disappear as if they have start new again. However, the feeling she has for him troubles her as it increase every minutes of her life. The more he act like this, the more she helplessly loosen herself and falls deeper for him. Yoona inhale deeply, picking up the courage to lift her left arm up and grab onto his arm—pulling it away, but he would not let go.

            “Why are you ignoring me.” Taecyeon softly speaks. “Why are you avoiding me? Why?” He really wanted to know why even though he partially knew the reason, but he still wants an answer from her.

            “Taecyeon oppa….” Yoona whispered softly. She pleads herself to have the energy to push him back, but her body and mind is not listening to her.

            “You can’t do this to me. You make me open myself. You turn me out like this. You have to take responsible for what you done.” His voice was miserably, heartbroken as if it’s about to give up hopes.  

            “Taecyeon oppa…. please stop.” Yoona voice tumbling in sadness that she could not hide from him. Though she kept telling him to stop, but her heart have opposite mind, a mind disobey her and wants her to continue.

            “I can’t, Yoona. I can’t pull myself out anymore. I’ve already open my heart for you.” He continues to confess to her.

            “Then close it again. You have closed it once, closing it again won’t be hard for you.” Yoona ruthlessly said as she tries to be harsh to him, however, there is a weakness in her voice as she speaks to him. “Oppa, please let go of me.”

            “No.” He denied. Tighten his arms around her body, he firmly embrace her. “Why can’t you accept my heart?”

            “I can’t. We can’t oppa.”

            “Why can’t we?” Taecyeon stubbornly asked. “Why can’t we be together?”

            “Because we are a family.” Yoona explained to him. “I’m your sis…”

            “You are not!” He raised his voice.

            “Oppa……”

            “You’re not my sister. We are not family. I don’t want you to be my sister.” Taecyeon in denied. “Saranghae. Saranghae Im Yoona.” He repeats. “Saranghae……”

            Happy to hear him say those words to her, however, she is hurt that she can’t accept him. Shedding silent tears, she quickly wipes it away.

             “You said you like me. You said you love me.” Taecyeon heartbrokenly said.

            “Stop it oppa.” Yoona grabbed his arms and pulled him away. “I like someone else already. I already set my heart for him.” She lied to him as she holds her tears back.

            “You’re lying. How can a person feeling change within less than day?” Taecyeon said in disbelief. “You’re lying to me. You’re lying to yourself.” He can feel. He can tell she’s lying to him, but a part of him says she’s not.

            Awe at how he knew she was lying not only to him but also to herself. “I’m not. I have like him for years. I have been waiting for him for years.” Yoona continues. “So please stop oppa. I can’t accept you. We can’t no matter what you say. I have already like someone else, have someone else in my heart” Trying hard to hide her tears from him. She turns around and get ready to walk back into her room.

            Taecyeon quickly grab her hand, stopping her. “Do you… Do you really feel nothing for me… not even after we kiss?”

            Yoona eye jolt wide, remembering their first kiss under the tree at night. Her heart, it skips many beats just thinking about his soft warm lips. Taecyeon waited for her to answer him. He was hoping she felt something—at least a little something. Fighting herself, she tries to overcome the power of her heart to keep shut from speaking the truth.

            “I’m not giving up.” He said to her. “I know you like me. I know you feels something.” He confidently said.

            Yoona ignore him—swung her hand—breaking his gripped, she walks into her room and slide the door closed. Locking the door, she pulls the curtain together before she drop to the floor, cuddling her knees and covers her mouths; she quietly sobs.

            “Mianhe oppa.” Yoona whispered in her head. Tears keep strolling her cheeks as her heart aches. Waiting by the balcony for an hour, she finally peak through her curtain and see him gone. Yoona sighed sadly as she walks back to her bed. Drown in tears; Yoona cuddles her stuff animal for comfort. “Tonight, I have to let you go. I can’t have this kind of feeling for you anymore.” She whispered soft inside her head, forcing herself to push Taecyeon out of her head—her mind.   

* * *

            Two days have passed, Yoona have been neglecting him, ignoring as much as she can. Like a break up couple, she tries to move on with her life by hanging out with Sooyoung more often or sticking with her Mrs. Im. Taecyeon tries hard to get her attention and talk to her, but it all fail. Since the day, Taecyeon gave Suzy a chance, she have been calling him nonstop. It annoys Yoona, but she tried not to show it. The doorbell rings a couple times, Mrs. Im went to answer the door, leaving Yoona alone in the Kitchen. Taecyeon took advantage of this and over to her, but stop when he heard Seulong voice.

            “Annyoung auntie.” Seulong greeted her. “Is Taecyeon home?”

            “Annyoung Seulong, yes he is home. What brings you here?” Mrs. Im asked.

            “I came to see Taecyeon. There is something I need to tell him.” Seulong truthfully spoke.

            Mrs. Im stepped aside to let Seulong in. Seulong bowed before he walks into the house. “Taecyeon is in the living room.” She said.

            Seulong nodded again before he walks to the living and sees Taecyeon standing in the center of the room with his body facing Yoona. He sneakily smirks as he looks back and forth between Yoona and Taecyeon. Walking up to him, he wrapped his arm across Taecyeon shoulder.

            “Why are you standing here?” Seulong asked.  He look were Taecyeon was staring at. He smirks and knew what to do. “Last night was fun. Suzy really being around with you.” Seulong tries to make Yoona jealous. “Did you take her home safely last night?” Saying lies loudly for Yoona to here.

            Yoona snatch a quick jealous glimpse at Taecyeon before she turn around to the stove and start dropping the homemade dumpling into the boiling pan.

            “Shut up. Why are you here?” Taecyeon said.

            “Well, I got some news for you. It’s seem like you got yourself a girlfriend without knowing what happen.” Said Seulong.

            Yoona freeze as she feels a ton of rock squashing her heart.

            “Mwuh?” Taecyeon shock a shocking looks at him. “Who said?” He asked.

            “Every body know you finally accept Suzy now. Last night, there were a lot of classmate at Myeongdong city and spotted her and the girls hanging out with us. They see her giving you a gift and assume you two are dating.” Seulong explained.

            Mrs. Im happily walks pass the living room to the kitchen. Taecyeon glances at Yoona’s back, waiting for her to turn around and see her expression, but only to see her continues putting dumplings into the boiling pan.

            “So, is there anything going on between you and her?” Seulong noisily asked. “Honestly tell me, man.” Taecyeon walk back to the couch and take a seat. “Yah, just tell me already. You are dating her behind my back?” Seulong continues asking.

            “No.” Taecyeon give a brief short answered.

            Seulong take a seat next to him. “Are you sure?” He questioned him. “I thought you have feeling for Yoona.” He whispered to him.

            Taecyeon annoyingly looks at him. “You should really stop being so noisy and keep that mouth shut.”

            “Sorry, but concern about you. Dude, have you seen yourself lately?” Seulong said. “You’ve change… a lot.” He sarcastically said. “As if you have exchange soul with somebody.”

            “I’m still me.” Taecyeon stonily answered.

            “Yeah right.” Seulong smirked. Taecyeon flash a short deadly glare at Seulong before looking at the fireplace. “Anyway, I believe Suzy is having a birthday party soon. She’s definitely inviting you.” He said.

            “I’m not going if she is.” Taecyeon immediately rejected.

            Seulong was about to speak until Taecyeon cellphone rings a couple times. Taking it out of his pocket, he look at the home screen and sees Suzy name flashing.

            “Speaking of the devil.” Seulong smirk. “I told you.”

            Ignoring him, Taecyeon looks into the kitchen and sees Yoona stirring the pan with her mom chopping vegetables. He stand up and walks out to the backyard. Seulong follows him, curious if he will answer the call or not. Hearing the door click shut, Yoona body freezes as if she was shot by a freeze gun. Mrs. Im joins her at the stove, helping her gently putting in the dumpling.  

            “So, do you know who this girls is?” Mrs. Im asked.

            Yoona startled by her voice, she blankly looks at her.

            “I overheard Seulong saying Taecyeon has a girlfriend, so you know who is see?” Mrs. Im asked.

            “I—I… I don’t know.” Yoona stuttered.

            Mrs. Im warmly smiles, “She must be from another school then. I wonder will he bring her home and introduce her to us.” She curiously wondered. “It’s about time for your oppa to have a girlfriend, don’t you think?” She smiles at Yoona.

            Yoona uneasily and jealously slightly looks away, but she quickly shook it off—emptying her mind.

            “Oh there is something I want to tell you and Taecyeon, but since he’s busy, I’ll tell him later.” Said Mrs. Im. “Appa and me are going on a two weeks vacation to Paris, France.”

            “Jjinja?” Yoona was surprise.

            Mrs. Im nodded. “Yes, we’re leaving on Friday evening.” She said. “Taecyeon will take care of you during my absent. Appa did say he know how to cook, so with e and appa gone, it would be his time to show you his talent. You’re his sister, so I don’t think he would be careless with you.”

            Yoona was wordless. Being home alone with Taecyeon has occupied her mind, but what she fears is the unexpected things will happen during Mrs. Im and Mr. Ok absent.

            “Appa plan this, not me. He said he wanted to give me a decent honeymoon.” Mrs. Im continues.

            Yoona force smiles across her face. “That sounds great.” Hiding her sadness as she happy congrats her mom. “I’m really happy for you.”

            “Thank you Yoona. I hope one day you can find the man of your dream. A man who loves and cares for you with all his heart.” Mrs. Im said.

            The smiles on Yoona face slowly fade as she stares motionlessly at the stove.

Even If I can, I can’t be with him. We are family.”

 

To be continue……………….