Chapter 4

Once in a lifetime

            Jong Kook is now an owner of some restaurants and a sport equipment store. That’s what he lived for. It was already morning and he’s drinking coffee while sitting in the balcony. He looks at his watch. “It’s already 9:15am but why she’s not still here?..” he said in his mind.

          He keeps looking into his watch but Ji Hyo doesn’t still appear. It’s already lunch time when she came.

          “I’m so sorry Mr. Kim..” she apologized.

          Jong Kook looks at her with wrinkle forehead.   

          “Why you’re late?..”

          “I’m sorry Mr. Kim..I can’t leave Min Young alone..”

          “Min Young?..You have a daughter?..”

          “Aniyo~..She’s my sister..”

          “Then leave her with your parents..I don’t like people who aren’t responsible..”

          Ji Hyo looks at him and felt anger inside. “Why he’s like this?..I know I’m late but it’s just a few hours..Min Young-ah is sick and I can’t leave her alone like that..I’m saying sorry already..Aish Jinja..” she said in her mind.

          “I don’t have parents anymore..”

          Jong Kook sees sadness in Ji Hyo’s eyes. He feels that something is pinching inside his heart.

          “Just start your work..” he said and go to his room.

          Then Ji Hyo starts her work.

~~~~~~~~~~

          Jong Kook checks his fridge and found out that his already out of stock. He needs to go to the grocery. He gets his wallet and car key. He looks for Ji Hyo and found her in the backyard hanging the clothes that she washed.

          “Ji Hyo-ssi..” he calls her.

          “Ne~..Mr. Kim..”

          “Were going to the grocery..Let’s go..” he said and went to his car.

          Then she followed him and rides in his car. Jong Kook silently drives to the grocery as Ji Hyo secretly peeks on him. “He’s like a zombie..He doesn’t even try to talk to me..or should I try to talk to him?..So we can be comfortable with each other..” Ji Hyo thinks.

          “Hmmm..Mr. Kim?..”

          “Ne~..What?..”

          “Why your living alone?..Where is your family?..” she curiously asks.

          Jong Kook looks at her. Thinking should he answer that question. He hates to open to someone.

          “Mr. Kim..”  Ji Hyo said.

          “I just want to be alone..and…my parents are in LA..”

          “Ahhh..Why you want to be alone?..” she asks him again.

          Jong Kook started to feel irritated. He really hates it when someone is getting to know him.

          “Can you stop asking questions..This is the reason I want to be alone..I hate talkative people..like you..” he irritated said to her.

          Ji Hyo felt blank and somehow scared by Jong Kook looks at her. She just shut and waits until they arrive in the grocery.

          As they arrived in the grocery, Ji Hyo is the one who pushes the cart and Jong Kook is the one choosing what to buy. He only chooses healthy food. The cart is full of vegetable, fruits, fish and chicken. Ji Hyo didn’t see even one pack of ramen or junk food.

          They go to the counter and he pay for it. After that, Jong Kook carries the heavy ones and Ji Hyo carries the light one. As they were walking in the parking lot Ji Hyo’s phone started to ring. She stops walking and answered it.

          “Ne~..Ahjumma..Why your calling?..” she asked.

          “Ji Hyo-ah...Min Young-ah..” Ajhumma worriedly said to her.

          “What happen to her Ahjumma?..” she almost shout.

          “I bring her into the hospital..Her fever is so high..”

          Ji Hyo drops the plastic bag she was holding and the fruits started to roll over and Jong Kook sees it.

          “Yah~ Song Ji Hyo..Are you stupid why did you let--…” he shouted but as she looks at her. Ji Hyo is almost crying and shock.

          “I’m going there..” he heard she said through her phone.

          Then Ji Hyo started picking up the fruits in the ground. When she finishes it she puts it in the car.

          “I’ll be going Mr. Kim..” she said to him.

          Jong Kook only looks at her and bow his head but before Ji Hyo walks he grab her hand.

          “Where are you going?..I can give you a ride..” he said.

~~~~~~~~~

          Ji Hyo hurriedly enters the emergency room of the hospital and looks for her sister. Jong Kook just silently followed her.

          “Min Young-ah..Are you okay?..” she said as she sees her lying on the bed.

          Min Young hugs her unnie and cried. Jong Kook felt his heart aching seeing the scene.

          “You’ll be okay..Unnie will take care of you..” Ji Hyo said.

          “You won’t leave me?..”

          “Ne~ Unnie won’t leave you..”

          “Promise?..”

          “Promise..”

          Ji Hyo let her sister sleep so she can rest. She thanked the Ahjumma and let it go home. She didn’t realize that Jong Kook is still there.

          “Mr. Kim..” she said when Jong Kook approach her and give her a food.

          “You should eat..” he said.

          “Kamsahamnida..”

          Ji Hyo starts to eat and Jong Kook is just looking Min Young.

          “How old is she?..” Jong Kook asked.

          “5 years old..”

          “Where are your parents?..Why your alone taking care of her?..”

          “My parents died a year ago..and now she's all I have..”

          “It must be hard for you..” he said.

          “It’s hard..but as I see her smiling..it gives me strength to keep going..I want her to live happily”

          Jong Kook looks at her and pats her head. Ji Hyo was shock by that and looks at him.

          “Everything will be fine..I’ll be going..” he said and leaves.

         

          “Is it another Mr. Kim?..He seems another person..Can he be like that always?..I don’t want to see his chinky eyes and wrinkled forehead when he talks..He looks so charming as he pats my head..What does he looks like if he smiles?..” Ji Hyo thinks. She shakes her head to clear her thoughts.