(howon's animal instincts)

90 Days With Lee Sungjong

D-78 to Lee Sungjong's Birthday!

 

Pairing: Howon/Sungjong

 

Prompt: Being Cute

 

(Howon's Animal Instincts)

 

-

 

Sungjong always told him that one day, somehow,  his “animal instincts” would save his life.

 

Howon agreed- he was proud of those instincts, the things that allowed him to stay sharp and stay alive. He liked having “animal instincts”- being hyperaware, being able to sense trouble, and being able to get out of said trouble.

 

But he never wanted to depend on this instincts in a situation like this. He never wanted to be in a situation like this.

 

Howon correlates his animal instincts with survival instincts. (In fact, he only says “animal” instincts because Sungjong says it’s funny. And, well, if Sungjong says it’s funny, then obviously it is funny and should be said.)

 

On the most basic level, Howon believes that having those instincts means two very simple things. One. Be able to stay alive. And two. Protect your loved ones with everything you have.

 

Howon figures that he could handle that.

 

He figures he needs to be able to handle that- now, more than ever.

 

“Hyung,” he hears a quiet whisper of someone directly behind him, of someone who has a voice so soft and gentle, of someone who has to refrain from speaking any louder for fear of being heard and caught.

 

He wishes that the last statement was anything but the truth.

 

But it is their horrid reality, the figurative monster that plagues their nightmares, and the demon that they now must face.

 

Because how can it not be, when he and Sungjong have been forced to hide themselves in a tiny room? How can it not be, when they are crouched low to the ground, pressed close to the walls and barely breathing so as to not be seen or heard?

 

How can it not be when Howon is holding a blade in his hands, with every intention of using it if need be? (And he knows that there will be need be.)

 

He turns slowly to the boy behind him, trying to look confident and reassuring. “What, Sungjong?” Howon has known Sungjong since they were both children; they had grown up together, as neighbors, as friends, and maybe even as something more.

 

He could see the unspoken questions in Sungjong’s eyes, the fear, and the refusal to stand down. “We’re...” But still, the uncertainty of their futures was unsettling, and it gave way to hesitance.

 

“We’ll be fine, Sungjong.” Howon waves his blade around for good, showy measure and affectionately pats Sungjong in the head as an act of reassurance.

 

“Don’t do that.” Sungjong smiles grimly as he tightens his own hold on his weapon- which happened to be a much smaller blade than Howon's. It was tiny in comparison, but still very much lethal. Kind of like how Sungjong is.

 

“Well-”

 

Something collides with the rickety door of the room they are hiding in, effectively cutting Howon off and stunning them into silence; the sorry excuse for a door moans pitifully and looks ready to fall to pieces at any given moment.

 

“Check this room! Check everything! Don’t let anyone get away!” Howon knew there had to be dozens of soldiers milling about, scouting the area. He could hear screams in the distance, and he was sure that if he chanced a look outside, he could see the smoke of the innocent houses that have been set ablaze.

 

“Howon...” So many things have been left unsaid and Howon could see all of it in those shining eyes.

 

“We’ll talk later.”

 

“But-” What if there is no later. 

 

“Later, Sungjong.” There would be a later. Howon would make sure of that. He had to.

 

The door gives way, immediately calling the attention of those who had orders to raze this place to the ground.

 

Howon only gives one last longing look to Sungjong (promising the future, of getting to see a tomorrow, of everything), and leaps towards the closest soldier and swings with the brandished blade in his hand without a second thought.  

 

For them, the raid has officially started.

 

(And he would keep Sungjong safe. That much, he was certain. Animal instincts and everything else be damned if otherwise.)

e n d.


what on earth. did i just. you know what, i’m sorry. i could have sworn this was supposed to be a cute little drabble based on sesame player. (ohoho, the main image is one of my favorite hojong gifs because howon's reaction to sungjong is just beautiful.)