(happy birthday, love.)

90 Days With Lee Sungjong

D-DAY to Lee Sungjong's birthday! Happy Birthday to Lee Sungjong!

 

Pairing: Myungsoo/Sungjong; OT7

 

Prompt: On someone's birthday

 

(Happy birthday, love.)

 

12:00 A.M.

 

Kim Myungsoo finds himself waking up right at midnight on a very special day.

 

The date is ingrained in his mind, forever noted as a certain Lee Sungjong’s birthday, because hey- what kind of boyfriend would he be if he didn’t know his boyfriend’s birthday?

 

With a happy little smile, he gets up and pads over to Sungjong’s room. He opens the door a crack and shimmies inside, making the least amount of noise possible. Myungsoo even manages to add in a ninja roll right before he finds himself next to Sungjong’s bedside.

 

Myungsoo can make out Sungjong’s face perfectly, even in the dark. He grins a little more, taking a sweet moment to just look at the person who has turned twenty today, who is now considered a full-fledged adult by society.

 

He stares for a little longer until he remembers- oh yeah, he had a reason for coming here. He tiptoes back to his room, grabs a sticky note and a box, and then tiptoes back to Sungjong.

 

Sungjong looks perfectly peaceful sleeping and Myungsoo doesn’t have the heart to wake him up.

 

So Myungsoo writes a quick and simple message on the sticky note and places it on the present- and then the present goes right next to Sungjong’s face. He can’t miss it, right?

 

Happy birthday, babe. See you later.

 

Myungsoo looks satisfied with the note he has written. He’s not one for extravagant presents or extreme surprises, and neither is Sungjong. This is enough.

 

He places a gentle kiss to Sungjong’s forehead and turns to leave.

 

He has a schedule for one of those variety shows that take place during a strange time of night, so he can’t spend most of the day with Sungjong.

 

 

 

Myungsoo would have liked the day off- but what could he do?

 

 

-

 

3:13 A.M.

 

Sungjong wakes up in the middle of the night when he turns in his sleep and his face is met with a hard object.

 

He blinks himself awake, rubs the sleep out of his eyes, and sees a package. There’s a little bit of fumbling in the dark for light, but eventually his phone illuminates what he now knows is Myungsoo’s package (because no one else would dare call him babe). There’s a little more fumbling as Sungjong undoes the wrapping (because screw waiting) and finds a completely Myungsoo-like present.

 

It is a photobook of every single moment that Myungsoo has tried to capture for them and it is completely sweet and cheesy because every photo comes with a sentence about how much Myungsoo adores him.

 

“Pfft,” Sungjong scoffs. “That loser.”

 

But he wraps the photobook back gingerly and even kisses the sticky note before going back to sleep with a smile on his face.

 

-

 

6:03 A.M.

 

Sunggyu has done something that he rarely ever does.

 

But only because it is for this day.

 

Sunggyu had pulled the leader card and pleaded for Sungjong to have the day off to management. There had been a begrudging “okay” on management’s part- but of course, there is a catch. He has to make up for it and go to Sungjong’s schedule in his place- a guest appearance on Weekly Idol- but that’s fine.

 

If it’s for Sungjong, it’s fine.

 

Sunggyu is just about to leave when he sees Sungjong wander out of his room, confused and blearily sleepy.

 

 

 

“Yah, what are you doing up so early?” You don’t have any schedules today,” Sunggyu complains, all bark and no bite in his tone. He steps a little closer to Sungjong, staring intently at the boy who has grown up so much in such a short little time. Sunggyu still remembers the young, slight teenager who Sungjong used to be, the little brat that told everyone his face was “hard to find” anywhere else. Now, standing tall at 177 cm and clearly a matured man at 20, Sungjong is hardly the little kid anymore.

 

“Go back to sleep, Jong.” Sunggyu’s affection is gruff, but it’s clearly there. Sungjong may not be the little kid anymore, but Sunggyu still treats him like he is. He always will, because this is his maknae.

 

Sungjong pouts as he notices that Sunggyu looks fully ready to go out and start his day. “Hyung, going already?”

 

“Yeah, I have stuff to do today,” Sunggyu says, smiling at the sight of Sungjong’s pout. The maknae probably wanted the hyung’s around to spend the day with him- but such was the life as an idol.

 

Sungjong sighs softly and Sunggyu’s heart just kind of melts. He really does have to go now- but not without wishing his maknae a happy birthday.

 

Sunggyu takes to ruffling Sungjong’s soft hair and says a quick, sincere, “Happy birthday, maknae.” Sunggyu, in that moment, thinks about who Sungjong is, what he means to him. (You’re the best maknae I could have hoped for.) There is silent affection in his eyes as he takes in Sungjong’s tired smile. “Rest up well, baby.” He thinks about what he personally wishes for Sungjong, what he sincerely wants to come true. (Always be healthy.)

 

And then he leaves, smile in place as he does the schedule in place of Sungjong- because if it’s for Sungjong, it’s okay.

 

-

 

7:17 A.M.

 

The second oldest is all sunshine and happiness on today of all days. He’s even up early for once, when he has no need to be-

 

Except for the fact that it is their baby’s birthday today.

 

And that is enough to call for a celebration.

 

True, Sungjong might not be considered a baby in society’s standards, as he has now entered his twenties- but Dongwoo would (try to) destroy anyone that says he is no longer INFINITE’s baby.

 

Dongwoo is all excitement and flapping arms and body waves as Sungjong comes into view. Sungjong had walked outside for the sake of using the bathroom, but is sidelined by Dongwoo the moment the second oldest sees the maknae. Dongwoo rushes over to fetch something special out of his forever packed bag as soon as he makes eye contact with Sungjong’s beautiful face.

 

With a quick rummage through his backpack, he pulls out an interestingly wrapped package and scuttles over to Sungjong. “For you!” He chirps.

 

Sungjong gives Dongwoo a playful shove before pulling him into a hug. He takes the interestingly wrapped package with a wide smile and says, “Thank you.” The type of smile that Sungjong is giving him is the type that cheers people up, that makes people happy, that is just breathtakingly beautiful- and Dongwoo feels an infinite amount of adoration for that smile and it’s bearer.

 

All Dongwoo can do in return of that smile is beam and snuggle himself into Sungjong’s neck. “Happy birthday, Jongie.” He focuses on that bright smile, commits it to memory because it is something so precious that Dongwoo needs to take it all in. (Never lose that smile.)

 

-

 

10:47 A.M.

 

Woohyun normally doesn’t have time to cook up a big breakfast- they are always too busy to actually eat proper meals.

 

But today- today, he makes sure that he has time to do so.

 

On this specific day, he finds himself waking up early (enough) and heading straight to the kitchen.

 

When the rest of the members end up shuffling out, lured by the delicious smell of food, Woohyun smacks all their grabby little hands away.

 

Everyone will get to eat- Woohyun’s not cruel.

 

But not before the person who he has cooked for eats first.

 

So everyone who has gotten their hands slapped away (Sungyeol, Dongwoo, Howon) end up shouting and whining for Sungjong to hurry up and get out of the bathroom so that they can eat. (Which is all in good fun of course, because no one minds if they have to wait a little for Sungjong.)

 

When Sungjong eventually waddles out of the bathroom, fully dressed and make up lightly applied, everyone cheers and whistles and teases.

 

“Aigoo, look at who’s all grown up now!” Woohyun teases playfully, pinching Sungjong’s cheek.

 

When Sungjong swats at him and then proudly goes along with the situation and announces, “It’s me, I’m all grown up now,” Woohyun is overcome with so much pride for his maknae.

 

It really is like his kid is all grown up now. Woohyun vaguely wonders if this is what sending your kid to kindergarten feels like- because, wow, Lee Sungjong is twenty years old now.

 

He’s not a teenager anymore and he’s just so mature now and what if he acts like he doesn’t need his hyungs anymore because- Woohyun swallows thickly, ushering Sungjong into the nearest chair. “I made seaweed soup!” Woohyun doesn't want to think about Sungjong not needing his hyungs anymore- it feels wrong, like a horrible thought.

 

Sungjong takes a seat gracefully, beaming at Woohyun. With the aegyo that he rarely shows anymore, Sungjong says, “Thank you, hyung,” and Woohyun has to swallow all the emotion that he’s feeling. The smile is an openly adoring one, a smile that lets Woohyun know that Sungjong still very much loves his hyungs. And that's all the confirmation that Woohyun needs.

 

He pours the soup especially for Sungjong (because the rest of the members could scoop it themselves, damn it- no one else was his kid, okay?) and thinks about how nice it would be to do this more often, special occasion or not. It’s rare that they get to enjoy these types of mornings; the type of peace that comes with a happy breakfast is a finer thing in life that Woohyun only hopes they could have more of.

 

“Eat well,” he croons, handing Sungjong a spoon (while the other members watch in the back adoringly while pretending to fight over a seafood pancake).

 

(Enjoy the things in life.)

 

-

 

1:53 P.M.

 

Sungjong feels happy with all the love and sincere birthday wishes that he has been receiving- but he can’t help but feel like something is missing.

 

And that something is his damn boyfriend- where the is that fool?

 

Sungjong understood that Myungsoo probably had an early schedule and most likely wouldn’t be back until late- but that didn’t mean he couldn’t miss his boyfriend- especially since it was his birthday.

 

But Sungjong suddenly remembers the little note near his bed and the photobook near his bed- and then he huffs. He’ll just have to make due, he supposes.

 

He couldn’t help it if his boyfriend was a busy man.

 

-

 

4:51 P.M.

 

Howon is considered quiet with his affection at best to most people-

 

He doesn’t think it is in his nature to be over the top or clingy with his brand of affection, but to a certain maknae, he has always been different. To Lee Sungjong, he will always be different.

 

But that’s because Sungjong is the maknae that respects him, the dongsaeng that follows him, and the perfect roommate. It’s a relationship that goes both ways; Howon adores Sungjong as much as Sungjong respects him, looks out for Sungjong as much as the maknae follows him, and thinks that no one else could be such a perfect roommate.

 

Lee Sungjong is a precious dongsaeng that will always, always be a matter of interest for Lee Howon. And as a matter of interest, Howon cannot help but unleash all the affection he feels for the other half of INFINITE S on this given day.

 

Which is why he finds it completely justifiable when he jumps Sungjong the moment the maknae walks by. “Jongie!” Howon has Sungjong in a tight embrace, and greasily enough, he doesn’t ever want to let go.

 

Sungjong immediately squirms and tries to get out of Howon’s hold. “Hyung! What are you doing?” he complains. Sungjong’s not too big on this type of skinship, but at the moment, Howon doesn’t care.

 

“Let me hold you,” Howon commands. Sungjong feels tiny in his arms and even if Howon knows Sungjong can be (and is quite) vicious, that doesn’t stop the desire to shelter that now young adult from every cruel thing in this world. (Let me protect you.) It isn’t for the first time that Howon thinks Sungjong is just too precious for this world, that someone needs to be able to keep him safe if need be.

 

And if Howon is that someone? Well then, so be it.

 

Sungjong stops moving but the pout is evident as he says one snarky comment after another. Howon takes everything in stride. (Let me protect you- because I always want you to be safe.)

 

With a bright and easy grin, Howon hugs Sungjong tighter and simply says one thing. “Happy birthday, Sungjong.”

 

-

 

7:25 P.M.

 

Sungjong is enjoying some downtime in his room, catching up on some shows, when he hears it.

 

“Meow,” he hears. A tiny little mewl from the outside room.

 

“Jureumi?” he calls out absentmindedly, intent on watching Running Man.

 

“Meeoooow,” Sungyeol crawls into Sungjong’s room with Jureumi in tow.

 

Sungjong blinks rapidly at the intruder. “Hyung, what the hell?”

 

Sungyeol pouts at the response. “Jureumi’s mom~~” He whines into the floor, rolling around with his cat.

 

The rolling around gets a reaction out of Sungjong- which is what Sungyeol wanted in the first place.

 

Because Sungjong is suddenly laughing and it’s a beautiful sight.

 

Sungyeol stops rolling around to appreciate the view; he has many sincere thoughts about Sungjong- but one in particular is standing in the forefront of his mind. (Please keep that gorgeous laugh of yours.)

 

“Yah, Lee Sungjong,” Sungyeol announces, starting to roll on the floor once more. Because if it makes Sungjong laugh- why not? “I want to wish a lot of things for you.” (And that beautiful personality too.)

 

“What things would that be?” Sungjong asks, curious.

 

(For you to please keep that gorgeous laugh and beautiful personality.) “Secret!” Sungyeol sticks his tongue out and cackles away. (For you to continue to be my angel with wings.)

 

“Hyung!”

 

-

 

10:33 P.M.

 

Strange as it sounds, Myungsoo is actually kind of glad that he’s been away for most of the day.

 

He knows that his boyfriend has no doubt been showered with affection today by the other members and he knows that if he were home, he would also be showering Sungjong with his love- but because he is not home now, he is just guaranteed time alone with Sungjong later (which would have been up in the air if he had been home with them).

 

He is happy enough with what he has already accomplished; he is sure that he was the first one to greet Sungjong a happy birthday, even if it was in note form.

 

Although he does admit that it would have been nice for Sungjong to wake up to his face- because he selfishly wants to be the first person Sungjong wakes up to and the last person Sungjong sees before he sleeps.

 

Myungsoo goes home thinking of Sungjong with a spring in his step and a smile on his face.

 

-

 

11:57 P.M.

 

Myungsoo comes home to a dark and quiet dorm room. The moment he enters, someone (Woohyun) shushes him and demands that he be quiet.

 

“But I didn’t even make any noise yet!” he pouts, agreeably whispering and being quiet.

 

“Sungjong’s sleeping,” Howon explains. “He said he was tired and wanted to rest early.”

 

Ah. That makes sense.

 

Sungyeol waves a flippant hand towards Sungjong’s room and Myungsoo gets the hint immediately.

 

Myungsoo scuttles over to the room he had been in almost an entire day before; true to the member’s words, Sungjong seems to be sleeping in his bed.

 

He stares wordlessly at his boyfriend’s face, sighing in content.

 

Sometimes he finds himself thinking that he has fallen so deep in love with Lee Sungjong that he doesn’t know what to do sometimes or what to say or how to show it.

 

(I love you.)

 

Sungjong must sense the heavy stare because he wakes up and slaps at whatever is hovering near him- which just so happens to be Myungsoo.

 

Myungsoo takes it in stride. “Happy birthday!” he cheerfully announces.

 

 

 

That makes Sungjong sit up with a start- and then he’s immediately whining. “Where have you been, ?”

 

“I had a schedule!” Myungsoo retorts, matching Sungjong’s whiny tone.“Besides, at least I get to be the last thing you see before you sleep! Isn’t that a good thing?” Myungsoo asks, grinning.

 

Sungjong feels like Myungsoo has just asked him a trick question, so he answers cautiously. “No? Why?”

 

“Well I think it’s a good thing,” Myungsoo snorts. “Because I always want to start my mornings with you and end my days with you.” He props himself onto Sungjong’s bed and is suddenly right next to him. “So I do apologize for not being the first person you saw today.”

 

Sungjong gapes at him for a moment. And then he smiles because- darn it, his boyfriend always makes him feel weird, tingly things.

 

“Sap,” Sungjong sasses, bright grin slowly building over his face. The words are left unspoken on Sungjong’s face, but Myungsoo hears the words loud and clear. I love you.

 

“I heard that you wanted to sleep early today, so I’ll let you do that.” Rest is important. They could always have a date tomorrow. “We’ll go out tomorrow with everyone, okay? And we’ll have a date too,” Myungsoo promises.

 

Sungjong nods, approving of the plan. It’s tiring being smothered with love all day- especially from his hyung’s. He’s already snuggling back into his blankets, disregarding the fact that Myungsoo is right next to him.

 

Myungsoo shoves at him a little bit, fighting for space on the bed- to which Sungong shoves back, but eventually relents. “Sleep well, Jongie,” Myungsoo croons, pressing a gentle kiss to Sungjong’s lips.

 

He is ready to call it a day.

 

“And happy birthday.”

 

(Thank you for being in my life.)