(attachment issues)

90 Days With Lee Sungjong

D-54 to Lee Sungjong's Birthday!

 

Pairing: Myungsoo/Sungjong

 

Prompt: Hanging out with friends

 

(Attachment Issues)

 

 

Myungsoo didn’t mind that his maknae had a lot of friends. He really didn’t.

 

Sungjong was bright and friendly and fun to be around- he knew that. And he knew that in having that personality, Sungjong wasn't limited to having just INFINITE as people to hang out with.

 

He knew all of that, and had no problem with it.

 

What he did have a problem with, however, was that Sungjong just never seemed to be around anymore. Whenever INFINITE was on break or they had a little time off, Sungjong was just nowhere to be found. Gone. Off to play with his friends.

 

And he just wanted to be included in that, in being able to see his maknae outside of schedules and forced dorm time.

 

Because in his mind, besides INFINITE being a band, they were a family made of friends.

 

And wanting to spend more time with their precious youngest-

 

That wasn’t so wrong, right?

 

After all, INFINITE only had one maknae, and that was Lee Sungjong.

 

And as INFINITE, they should stick together, focus on building their irreplaceable bonds!

 

And as INFINITE’s maknae, Sungjong shouldn’t leave his hyung’s alone! (Because god knows what they're like without their Sungjong placating all of them.)

 

At least, that’s what Myungsoo told himself whenever he was feeling grumpy and Sungjong was nowhere to be found.

 

(Because maybe. Just maybe. Myungsoo was a little jealous that Sungjong chose to be with other people rather than them- than with him.)

 

-

 

Myungsoo worries about Sungjong a lot, whenever he disappears. He would be with them one moment, joking around with the rest of them, and then gone the next. He typically wouldn’t be seen again until they were called to perform.

 

And that was a general concern for Myungsoo- where did he go all the time, was he okay, was he making all the right friends?

 

In his mind, his maknae could only have the best of friends with the best intentions towards him- but Myungsoo didn’t really know any of them.

 

When he realizes that, Myungsoo comes to a conclusion.

 

He needs to go too.

 

-

 

Myungsoo waits by the door in their waiting room; he’s on a mission, and he is willing to stalk around this door in a huff waiting to complete it.

 

Which is what he does for about seven minutes, before his target actually comes into view.

 

Sungjong is about to slink past him and go through the door off into the unknown when Myungsoo places his body right in front of the doorway. Myungsoo had been only a couple feet away when Sungjong tried to escape, so blocking the door wasn’t a particularly hard feat. “Can I go too?” he blurts out, grabbing at Sungjong’s arm. Well, Myungsoo meant for him to ask in a calmer manner- but short and to the point was also acceptable.

 

“Go where?” Sungjong blinks at him, confused, and Myungsoo almost falters. This is technically a break time for them, and Sungjong should be able to go wherever he wants.

 

But then Myungsoo remembers that Sungjong does indeed go wherever he wants, and none of INFINITE actually knows where that is (and if it’s a better place than where his hyung’s are at)- so he hardens his resolve and barrels on.

 

“To meet your friends,” he clarifies, feeling rather stubborn and resolute.

 

Regrettably, Sungjong isn’t having any of Myungsoo’s stubborn resolutions. He grabs at the hand Myungsoo is holding onto him with, and gently removes it before brightly smiling. Myungsoo doesn’t like where this is going. In a bright and airy tone, Sungjong says, “It’s okay, hyung, just stay here and rest. You probably won’t want to hang out with them anyway,” and is gone before Myungsoo can even retaliate.

 

Myungsoo sulks for the rest of the remaining time.

 

-

 

A lot of people would take what Sungjong had done to Myungsoo as an obvious warning- it’s okay, I don’t need your concern- and leave the situation at that.

 

But not Myungsoo. Because luckily for Myungsoo, he’s persistent.

 

And when he gets stuck on things, he gets stuck.

 

(Like how he has been stuck on the maknae for the longest time- but that’s besides the point.)

 

So he tries again. In a confined space, where Sungjong has nowhere to run.

 

Meaning, Myungsoo tries to guilt him when they’re driving back from one of their schedules. He has situated himself right next to Sungjong in their van and tries to get answers. “How could you ditch me?” He brings up the situation calmly, with only a small pout on his face.

 

Sungjong blinks at him, irritation subtle in his voice as he airily responds, “What are you talking about?”

 

"Yesterday," he deadpans. "You just walked out when I asked if I could go with you."

 

"No, I told you that you probably wouldn't want to hang out with them anyway," Sungjong retorts.

 

"Okay, well, I do want to hang out with them," Myungsoo clarifies as if he wasn't as clear yesterday. “So can I go with you next time?” Myungsoo waits impatiently for Sungjong's answer, while Sungjong just stares blankly in response.

 

Eventually, the car slows to a stop, signalling that they are home and need to get out of the car. Sungjong does what is expected of the situation- he exits the car with a petulant little frown, leaving Myungsoo to gape at the horrible timing.

 

Sungjong never answers him.

 

-

 

Myungsoo, honestly, doesn’t know what the big problem is.

 

He shouldn’t be feeling this way, not about Sungjong having friends. He, himself, has a group of friends outside of the band. They all do. But somehow, it’s a little different when Sungjong is involved.

 

He doesn't like when maknae isn't around.

 

-

 

Myungsoo thinks about this long and hard, but it’s hard. Nothing is making sense to him. Friends are good. Sungjong needs friends. Myungsoo doesn’t like Sungjong having friends.

 

It’s strange.

 

-

 

It isn’t until he sees Sungjong leaving the dorm at some ungodly hour when the rest of the members are getting ready for an INFINITE movie night and Myungsoo gets a sickening feeling in his stomach that he realizes what is going on here.

 

It isn't that that Sungjong having friends is the problem- rather, it’s Sungjong choosing to hang out with other people than him. The problem is that Myungsoo doesn’t like when Sungjong isn’t around him, when he so freely leaves him for other people while he’s left behind to sulk.

 

He doesn’t trust Sungjong with anyone else but INFINITE.

 

It is a startlingly selfish realization.

 

-

 

Myungsoo tries one last time. “Sungjongie, can I go with you~?” They’re at Music Bank, scheduled to perform in three hours. Sungjong’s already almost out the door when Myungsoo calls out to him. He wants to see what's so good about these people.

 

“But it’s my time alone with my friends- why do you want to tag along?” The irritation in Sungjong’s voice is clear. The rest of the members remain blissfully unaware of what is to come- or at least, they pretend to.

 

Myungsoo’s not sure if he’s spurred by the irritation in Sungjong’s voice or his own irritation with the whole situation. “I’m your hyung- shouldn’t I be allowed to tag along?” But what’s done is done- and Myungsoo has done what Sungjong hates the most. Myungsoo has just played the hyung card.

 

Sungjong snaps back immediately, exasperated with how adamant Myungsoo has been over this issue. “Aren’t I allowed to have my own friends, hyung?”

 

“You are, but-”

 

Sungjong’s not done with his exasperation and irritation; he voices it as such. “I live with all of you, see all of you all the time- what’s the problem with me wanting to hang out with other people?”

 

“The problem is-” Myungsoo is at a loss of words for a proper comeback. The problem is that I don’t like it when you’re not around me because I can’t trust the world with you- you’re too precious for that. He winces and stops himself from speaking the words he actually wants to say. It sounds a little too selfish and even a tad bit creepy, even to him. He can’t say that.

 

So Myungsoo doesn’t say anything at all. He turns around and walks over to Dongwoo before taking a seat quietly, seemingly giving up the argument.

 

Sungjong leaves with just one worried glance and clenched fists.

 

Myungsoo doesn’t move from his spot until showtime.

 

(Dongwoo pats his back softly when Myungsoo moves to get up.)

 

-

 

Myungsoo feels horrible.

 

Because know that he’s thinking about it, he’s acting like an overprotective stupidhead (for lack of better descriptive terms).

 

Sungjong should be mad at him- he would be mad at himself too!

 

He takes to giving the boy space, in letting him have his freedom when he, by all means, should.

 

-

 

Sungjong feels horrible too.

 

Because in Myungsoo giving Sungjong space, Sungjong now thinks Myungsoo is legitimately angry at him, and he doesn’t really know what to do with that.

 

Myungsoo is never angry at him- not really. Sungyeol maybe, and Sunggyu sometimes- but never Myungsoo.

 

Sungjong is at a loss.

 

-

 

A week has gone by and the number of interactions between Myungsoo and Sungjong is pitiful at best.

 

Sungjong breaks their cold war first. They are all about to go to sleep and Myungsoo is just about to cuddle into his blankets and block out the world when he hears a tentative knock. “What?” is his bleary, sleep-deprived reply. He is so sleepy that he wonders if he imagined the knock.

 

He hears a soft, “Hyung, can I talk to you?” and blinks in confusion. Hyung? Only one person called him hyung, and that was Sungjong. Sungjong, who he hasn’t been on speaking terms with in a week.

 

Sungjong. Who is asking to talk to him right now.

 

Oh.

 

He’s no longer sleepy.

 

Myungsoo sits up with a start and then scrambles for the door. He opens the door with more force than necessary and is met face to face with a thoughtful looking Sungjong. “Lets talk.”

 

-

 

Although Sungjong had been the one to instigate the talk, Myungsoo is the one who speaks first. “I went about it the situation wrong way, so I’m sorry,” he starts. Myungsoo’s not actually sure where he’s going with this. “It’s just that you have so many friends and we don’t really know any of them, so I just wanted-” He supposes the truth is a good way to go though. “How can I trust you with those people?”

 

“Don’t say sorry to me, hyung. It will make me feel worse” Well, at least now he knows Sungjong felt bad about their argument as well. “And for the record, I can pick my own friends just fine.” Myungsoo is sure that Sungjong is sassing him.

 

Myungsoo purses his lips once before pressing on. “I know you can, I just- you’re maknae! I just want to know where you’re going all the time and who you’re leaving your hyung’s for.”

 

“I can never actually leave you guys- we all live in the same dorm.” Sungjong has a point. “And we’re INFINITE. I really can’t leave.” Sungjong has another point.

 

“All I wanted was to go with you just once,” he mumbles, soft spoken and apologetic.

 

Sungjong has a sharp retort ready and waiting, but seeing the remorseful look on Myungsoo’s face makes him grimace and second guess his words.

 

There is a weighted silence for several seconds before Sungjong exhales softly. What was the real problem here? All Myungsoo wanted was to make sure he was safe and whatnot. And if that didn’t make Sungjong feel horrible about snapping at him, then he didn’t know what would.

 

“I’m sorry,” Myungsoo repeats, sincerely apologetic.

 

Sungjong pouts at the apology. He had wanted to keep his friend circle of friends separate from his INFINITE hyungs- but seeing that look on Myungsoo’s face and hearing him apologize like that made Sungjong feel pathetically guilty.

 

Well, there was no way Sungjong was keeping to that now.

 

“You can go with me as many times as you want,” Sungjong says, tone appeasing and slight smile in place.

 

He’s compromising this situation to make Myungsoo feel better; Myungsoo realizes this immediately. Sungjong, who had been so vehement and adamant on keeping his personal escapades a secret, is willing to give in just because his hyung feels sorry.

 

Myungsoo loves that this is his maknae. Regardless of whatever situation, of who is angry or who’s not, Sungjong will always try and make any of his hyung’s feel better.

 

“Thank you for thinking of me, hyung,” Sungjong adds.

 

Myungsoo’s not sure if it’s possible to adore someone this much, but Sungjong has always managed to break all the rules. He smiles, bright and happy. “Sungjong ah, I love you.” There was no other maknae in the world like Sungjong, and no other that he would love more.

 

“Shut up,” he huffs. Sungjong rolls his eyes a little bit, but he’s still smiling and that’s what makes it all okay.

 

Indeed, maknae is maknae.

 

 

 

e n d.

 

reason why this came to be. (so i literally picked the first myungjong gif i saw for the main image because going through their tag was doing strange things to me and i couldn’t look at this fluffy otp anymore because gdi myungsoo do you know what the word subtle means.) this turned out a little weird since it was only supposed to have jealous!myungsoo fluff in it. i blame this.

 

(i am so so late with this. flails. the next one will be up in an hour or two. o--o /crawls away in shame)