(everyone needs a hobby)

90 Days With Lee Sungjong

D-21 to Lee Sungjong's Birthday!

 

Pairing: Sungyeol/Sungjong

 

Prompt: Cosplaying

 

(Everyone Needs a Hobby)

 

 

*takes place sometime in the eight months that Sungyeol didn’t have any schedules to attend to

 

-

 

Sungjong walks quietly into the dorm, back from an early schedule. If knowledge serves him right, Sungyeol should be the only one home.

 

He contemplates asking if the older is up for a movie, seeing as how they’re both free, and opens the door to Sungyeol’s room without a thought.

 

Sungjong walks in on Sungyeol wearing black tights, a mask, and a cape.

 

The only thing Sungjong does is stare at Sungyeol blankly, with his mind asking so many questions- but the most obvious one is why?

 

Sungyeol apparently reads Sungjong’s mind because he answers with a snappish and defensive, “Everyone needs a hobby.”

 

Sungjong’s mind starts working again and he asks, “What’s your hobby?” From what Sungyeol is wearing, he doesn’t get it.

 

“Cosplaying,” is what Sungyeol says, as if the answer is obvious.

 

It’s not.

 

But Sungjong vaguely remembers Sungyeol having a “Dark Knight” marathon last night and grimaces. He accepts the answer just as he accepts every other eccentric trait about Sungyeol before slowly trying to back out of the room.

 

Sungjong does have one question though. “Are you supposed to be Batman?”

 

Sungyeol strikes a pose at the question and Sungjong feels an eye twitch.

 

He really hopes his hyung will get a schedule soon. A variety show. A radio recording. An acting gig. Anything to get his mind to erase the thought of Sungyeol prancing around in tights while the rest of the members aren’t at home.

 

“Have fun, hyung.” Sungjong is content to leave Sungjong to his own devices. He can watch a movie by himself.

 

“Wait, Jongie!” Sungyeol has suddenly latched himself onto Sungjong’s arms and his eyes have a suspicious gleam to them.

 

-

 

Now that Sungjong has walked in on him, Sungyeol felt that he had no reason to hide it anymore.

 

In fact, he would rather love a cosplaying buddy.


Which is why Sungyeol is suddenly showing Sungjong his prized collection of cosplaying items that he had hidden in a cardboard box, deep in his closet.

 

Sungjong picks up a rather suspicious looking spandex suit and is judging Sungyeol hard. “Hyung, when did you get all this stuff?”

 

“Oh you know,” Sungyeol starts. He snatches the suit out of Sungjong’s hands and puts it back in the box gingerly. “Over the years.” He leaves his answer as that; his answer has Sungjong raising a suspicious eyebrow.

 

“Is this a hobby I should be concerned about?”

 

Sungyeol changes the topic. “So what do you think about this Kid Flash suit?” He’s holding up another suspicious spandex suit, with this one being red and yellow.

 

“It’s,” Sungjong searches for the right word that won’t make him feel like he has crushed all of Sungyeol’s hopes and dreams. “It’s cool, hyung. Really cool.”

 

“Isn’t it?” Sungyeol gushes. Sungjong doesn’t have the heart to tell him what he really thinks about it. “Do you want to try it on?”

 

Sungjong gives a weak smile and gives the best excuse he can. “I don’t think Kid Flash is my style.”

 

Sungyeol nods at the answer. “It’s okay, Jongie, I’m sure I have something for you.”

 

Sungjong really hopes that he doesn’t.

 

Sungyeol rummages around in the box and cackles. “I have Wonder Woman,” is all Sungyeol says. There is a suggestive implication in his tone as he looks at Sungjong imploringly.

 

“No,” is Sungjong’s first reaction. His second is, “Wait, why do you have that?”

 

“Come on, it comes with the rope of truth!” Sungyeol whines. He has suspicuously dodged Sungjong’s question about why he has Wonder Woman’s outfit in the first place. “Don’t you want the rope of truth?” He’ll never admit that he bought the outfit just in case Sungjong ever got into cosplaying. And crossdressing.

 

Sungyeol thinks Sungjong would make a rather gorgeous Wonder Woman.

 

Sungjong doesn’t agree.

 

“No.” Sungjong answers immediately. “No Wonder Woman.”

 

Sungyeol pouts a little but puts the rope of truth away.

 

“Ironman is pretty hot,” Sungyeol says this while holding up a red and gold suit. “And he’s sassy. Like you,” he quips.

 

“No.” Sungjong really is concerned about this hobby of Sungyeol’s. As an afterthought, he adds, “But it’s better than the Wonder Woman suit.”

 

Sungyeol is undeterred by the negative answers- in fact, he seems spurred on by Sungjong’s last statement. “You know, you would make a beautiful Loki. He’s equal parts slender and evil.”

 

Sungjong decides to ignore the last part of Sungyeol's statement and finally decides to tell Sungyeol what he thinks about all these superheroes. “I have no idea who most of these people are.”

 

Sungyeol looks offended for an entirety of five seconds.

 

And then he proceeds to take out all of his comic books and every single DVD he owns that features a superhero.

 

-

 

Three Batman movies and seven DC comics later, somehow Sungjong is hooked.

 

Surprisingly, he even thinks about wearing spandex.

 

-

 

By the end of the day, Sungyeol has opened Sungjong’s eyes to the culture of cosplaying and has somehow managed to get the maknae to shimmy into a Robin costume.

 

When Sunggyu comes home to two of s in spandex, he can’t help but ask, “Why?”

 

“Every Batman needs a Robin,” is Sungyeol’s wholly serious reason. (Because Sungyeol really wanted Sungjong to be Robin all along. All the other suggestions were to help Sungjong warm up to the cause.)

 

Sungjong agrees.

 

When Sunggyu doesn’t look amused, Sungyeol uses his defensive reason from earlier. “Everyone needs a hobby!”

 

Sunggyu shakes his head with a sigh, feeling the incoming headache. “You two need a new hobby.”

 

Sungjong still agrees.

 

He was right.

 

It was a hobby he should be concerned about.

 

e n d.