As a wife

Not Another Fairytale

 

 

4:00 am. Hee Rin was lying on her back and was staring blankly at the ceiling. She didn’t sleep. Random things were running in her mind and her breathing was uneven.

Myungsoo tries to talk to her earlier and was knocking on her door every now and then but maybe he realized that she’s sleeping and he eventually stops. There are lots of questions Hee Rin wants to ask. She wants to know what has gotten into their relationship that Myungsoo ended up finding another girl.

She can’t recall any terrible fights with him and she can’t even remember a single mistake she did to upset her husband. So why did he cheat on her?!

At 7 in the morning, Myungsoo looks up at the newspaper he’s been reading while he’s eating his breakfast. He was surprised to see Hee Rin standing by the doorframe and was staring blankly at him with unreadable expression. She gasped when she saw him looking at her and Myungsoo was shock of what his wife is acting today.

Hee Rin sat on the chair and fixes her gaze towards the French toast on the plate. “Good morning” Myungsoo greets, but his tone wasn’t like a greeting. It sounds more like a question. He was confused since Hee Rin always greets everyone in the morning yet today she’s been acting weird.

“Are you okay?” He asked, worried. Hee Rin doesn’t seem to hear it since she’s just staring at her plate blankly. Myungsoo reaches to place his hand on top of hers and he swears he feels her tense up.

“Huh?” She asked as if she was lost. Myungsoo furrowed his brows.

“Hee Rin, what’s happening?” He worriedly asks as he squeezes her hand. Hee Rin bit her lip and slowly shook her head.

She wants to ask him so badly yet she can’t push herself to do so. Why are you acting like this?!!! You’re acting coward! She scolds herself.

She opens to say the words she wanted to say but the words that slipped out of just makes her even more upset. “Nothing” She mutters and her eyes tell otherwise.

Myungsoo pursed his lips. He knew there’s something bothering her but he doesn’t want to force her to tell him. He can wait. “Okay” he says and folds the newspaper. He wiped his lips with table napkin and stood up.

“I’m off to work” He sighs and leans to kiss Hee Rin’s head. She didn’t move and just gaze on her feet. Myungsoo sighs.

He crouches down and took Hee Rin’s hands that were resting on her lap. “Look at me” He chided. She finally looks down at him with sad eyes.

“If something’s bothering you, you can always tell me okay?” He softly says and squeezes her hand. Hee Rin bit her lower lip, hard.

--

 

Hee Rin received a message from Min Ae in the afternoon. She was inviting her for lunch.

She doesn’t want to see her face and remember the scene that kept on replaying in her mind. She wants to scratch her face and pull Min Ae's hair and slap her hard. Evil thought starts invading her mind but she knew she can’t do any of those.

She agreed to meet with Min Ae.

They meet at the Italian restaurant which there was few people visiting. They shared silence for a while before they ordered some food. Min Ae was staring at Hee Rin all the time while the latter was just gazing outside the window. Her eyes looks hurt but her beauty still stands out.

Min Ae wouldn’t stop talking about Myungsoo the whole time and Hee Rin knew that she’s doing this to make Hee Rin jealous. She was tightly gripping on the fork and the knife that she’s holding while cutting the beef. Hot blood was rushing through her veins and she swears she’s having a hard time controlling her anger now.

She would just smile at Min Ae without looking at her whenever she talks about Myungsoo. There was no words escaping her lips and Min Ae wonders if she’s already pissed or just tired of talking to her.

It wasn’t until Min Ae asks a question which made Hee Rin look up. “How much do you know Myungsoo oppa?” She asked as she leans back in her chair and crossed her arms against her chest.

“Why?”

Min Ae shrugs. “Nothing. I just wonder how many secrets he has told you?” She smirks. Hee Rin gulps.

She puts down the utensils and wiped her lips with table napkin before she looks up at Min Ae, expressionless. “I believe that there are no secrets between us and if there is, I will find it out myself” She speaks with so much authority in her tone that Min Ae gritted her teeth. Why is Hee Rin acting so superior right now?!

“Really? Then do you know how close we ar—“ Min Ae asks but was cut off when Hee Rin scoffs.

“Min Ae… I seriously don’t know how close you are to my husband and I don’t even care” She says, it takes lots of courage for her to say this words. She wasn’t the type of girl who would sound rude to anyone but she told herself she needs to act superior in order to protect their marriage. “But I hope you would understand that Myungsoo is already married” she inquires and Min Ae flinches.

Min Ae’s blood was boiling and her fists were clenching. She can’t lose to this girl; she can’t lose to this naïve girl. “Yeah? You know what, you sounded like I’m going to snatch your husband away…” She laughs. “You look nervous and it’s funny” she added sarcastically.

Hee Rin took a deep breath. “I am nervous” She says straightforwardly that Min Ae immediately stops laughing and stared at her, appalled. “I saw you in my husband’s office. Sitting on his lap. Hands on both of his cheeks” She took a deep breath. Kissing.

Min Ae jaw almost drops when she heard those words coming out from Hee Rin. She saw them?! “Y-you saw us kis—?”

“I do”

Min Ae leans back, surprised. Why is Hee Rin acting like this when she already saw Min Ae and Myungsoo kissing? Why isn’t she fighting back?!!

Hee Rin stood up and gets her bag. She looks at Min Ae straight and clenches her jaw. “I’ll let it slip this time for everyone’s sake. This is the last time I will ever talk to you, I hope. And stay away from my husband” She says with so much authority before walking away, leaving Min Ae dumbfounded.

Hee Rin quickly gets inside the car and sat on the backseat with pounding heart. Beads of sweat were forming on her foreheard and she was breathing heavily. “I can’t believe I did it” she mutters to herself. Tears started rolling down her cheeks but she quickly wiped it off.

She needs to be a responsible wife and not appear as a coward. She needs to protect their marriage and act fierce to the one that was breaking them apart. She is Myungsoo’s wife, and she’ll always be, she would tell herself.

There’s no plan B for her. There should be no ‘divorce’ when you already tied up and vowed to love your partner. She realized, there can be problems in relationship, and getting a divorce wasn’t the right thing to solve the problem.