22.

Buddies To Boyfriend: Boyfriend To Lovers

I double updated so read chapter 21 too! 


“Hey.” Amber softly said as she entered his study room.

Kris looked up from his paperwork. He put down his glasses and stared at the awkward Amber walking in and sitting his in foot chair that was right beside the chair he was sitting in.
                “Do you need something?” Kris asked once she turned towards him.
                Amber looked around and her eyes were focused on Kris’ paperwork. Kris chuckled and poked her side since she looked really confused when she started reading the work on his paper. Amber turned to him and gave him a look that could kill.
                “I asked you a question. Answer it, Mrs. Wu.” Kris while chuckling.

“I’m bored.” Amber pouted.

Kris set his pen down and leaned back in his chair while staring at Amber who was still pouting.

“And what do you want me to do?” Kris asked with a low chuckle.

“Where are the kids?” Kris asked another question since she hadn’t responded to the other one fast enough.

“Kitchen.” Amber nonchalantly replied.

“And you just left a bunch of three year olds who don’t know what a knife is to play in there by themselves.” Kris questioned a bit too calmly also.

“Uh, yeah…” Amber dryly chuckled while rubbing her neck.

“Come on. I’ll do my ‘homework’ later.” Kris dragged her out of the study room by the hand as she followed right behind. Kris cleared his throat and got to the last step. “Family first.” Kris muttered inaudibly.

“Mommy!” Kristine cried out, hugging Amber’s legs tightly.

“What’s wrong, honey?” Amber replied in panic.

“A girl took Hyunwoo!” Kristine sobbed. 

Kris was shocked to hear the news as he rushed outside of the house.

“I’ll be right back!” he yelled.

“Christopher!” Kris yelled out.

“Here! Amber yelled back to him.

Kris ran over to see Christopher passed out on the cemented ground. Kris swiftly picked him up as he searched for any sigh of Hyunwoo with Christopher in his arms.

There was something gleaming off in the distance by the curb. Kris quickly power walked towards it and saw a familiar pearl necklace. He picked it up and observed the scratches that were on it.

-Flashback-

 

                It was a festive type of hotel where there was a bunch of English men and women roaming the room. It had a warm feeling yet it had an unsafe feeling that came to instinct to Kris.

"Please guys. Do not embarrass me because this is my High school reunion." she said while her expensive pearl necklace.
“Puh-lease! You’re going to embarrass yourself!” Lay had replied very sassily.

 

-End of Flashback-

 

“I know who did it.” Kris clutched the necklace tightly, making the beads crack. Kris slowly turned towards the car lifelessly. He had no emotion displayed on his face, just a thin line.

Amber ran right over and put Kristine into her car seat while Christopher slept in her lap.

They quickly ran towards the receptionist who was currently busy on the phone. I hope she doesn’t take forever… Kris thought to himself as he impatiently tapped his foot on the polished tiled floor.

The receptionist finally got off of the phone with a sigh, but her face immediately turned to a worried look when she saw a tear stained Kristine and an unconscious Christopher in Amber’s arms.

“May I help you?” she asked, already bringing up the files for the patients names.

“My other son was kidnapped and I think my son here fainted due to the shock. Can you please run tests?” Kris pleaded.

“Of course, Mr. Wu. I’ll call his doctor.” The receptionist smiled and dialed the doctor’s number.

“Yes. Yes, he thinks it was due to the shock so it led to his son fainting. Okay, I’ll bring them up. Okay. Bye. You may go up now.” The receptionist said, pointing towards the elevators.

Kris and Amber nodded as they rushed towards the elevators with heavy hearts. The elevator with up with the lights flickering from each level. He took a deep breath and thought that the elevator ride was taking forever. Amber noticed how tense he was as she set her hand on his shoulder. She squeezed it to show him that he wasn’t facing this alone. He gave her a small smile before the elevators door slid open.

“Quick.” Kris hurried towards the doctor’s office.

The door came into view as he pushed open the door.
                The doctor was on his computer, typing away as he copied the information from a paper on a clipboard right next to him. He noticed that he had guests so he had slipped his reading glasses off and looked at the family in front of him. The doctor stood up and motioned for Kris to put Christopher onto the small bed that had a white paper-like sheet on top of it. He grabbed his stethoscope to check if Christopher was breathing right, and he was. The doctor smiled and grabbed his flashlight that was just sitting on his desk. After finding out that Christopher was alright, he smiled in content.

“He looks fine to me. Rest is only necessary.” The doctor pulled off the stethoscope and put his flashlight into his coat pocket.

“Would it be okay to keep him here for the day?” Kris asked.

“For what reason?” The doctor questioned.

“Our house… isn’t the safest place right now. My other son- Hyunwoo, was kidnapped just a few hours ago. My wife and I have to go to England to retrieve him.” Kris explained distressed.

“We’ll keep him in the hospitals day care. When will you be back?” The doctor asked.

“Possibly tomorrow. The person has many people to guard her home.” Kris answered with a exasperated sigh.

“It’s okay. I’ll make sure to feed him also. Then, off with you.” The doctor shooed him out while laughing.

“Thanks Jongdae.” Kris brotherly hugged him.

“Anytime, Wu Fan.” Jongdae hugged him back.

Amber and Kris left to the elevator and headed down. The time was ticking endlessly. It felt like hours were passing like days.

That’s when they finally noticed that they were in Heathrow Airport where it was filled up with foreigners. Amber and Kris didn’t exactly bring luggage, but they brought backpacks full of things that they needed. That weather was a bit chilly as they searched for Sam who had previously helped Kris and Lay back in Housesteads, England.

They reached Housesteads and saw many man-made brick buildings. They saw tourists looking at the stone structures, but Amber and Kris weren’t there for that. Kris pulled Amber towards a wall that would hide both of them from the sun and wind.

Kris motioned for Amber to sit down so their shadows wouldn’t be seen from behind the wall. He grabbed his backpack and pulled out his laptop. He searched ‘Housesteads, England’ in the Google search engine and got many pictures of stone structures.

“That’s the Roman Fort.” Kris pointed out to Amber.

Amber searched for it and saw it with squinted eyes. She nodded and noticed a tall white house off into the distance.

“And that is-“

“Crystal’s lair.” Kris cut her off.

“I almost didn’t see it.” Amber replied, taking out her camera to zoom in so she could the house clearer.

“It’s pretty hard to find.” Kris answered.

“So, what’s the layout?” Amber asked, turning her body towards him.

“There’s a dirt road into that forest that leads to the house. A sign will have arrows on it and it’ll say ‘Welcome to…’ along with the places along the dirt road. If we follow far up the road then we’ll be able to get to the house, but there’s bad news.” Kris rubbed the back of his neck.

“Dang it… I knew something bad was going to happen.” Amber scowled and threw her beanie down on the floor harshly.

“She has bodyguards and several locks on the door. Everything is like the old age when you go inside… you might feel a bit insane, but I think you’ll get over it.” Kris tried explaining, but Amber definitely didn’t want to listen.

“Why would she take Hyunwoo in the first place?” Amber suspiciously asked.

“She maybe thought that she could draw us in. You watch a lot of dramas and movies right?” Kris asked. She responded with a nod. “What is the most cliché thing that’s EVER happened in all the dramas you watched that involve kidnapping?” Kris questioned, hoping that he’d get an answer out of all of this.

“The most cliché thing?” Kris nodded. “Well, when the person gets kidnapped then the kidnapper would leave no tracks except something really little.” Amber trailed off. Kris reached into his pocket and pulled out the pearl necklace.

“And they usually… I don’t know. It doesn’t really come to mind.” Amber said

“Haha, I knew you wouldn’t be able to do it. All you watch is action movies and romance dramas.” Kris laughed at her.

“Well, I’m sorry! The other ones don’t deal with kids. It’s more like older people and they end up getting out themselves!” Amber answered back with her arms crossed.

“Well, this is where I come in.” Kris scooted close to her and put his mouth close to her ear, making her tense up. “There’s always a traitor.” Kris whispered while smirking.

Amber furrowed her eyebrows and turned to him. He quickly smiled and pecked her lips before getting up.

“Come on.” Kris gestured towards the dirt road.