Forever is just a word.

I never knew I needed you..

Everyone in the hallway just stared at me as I made my way to the front of our campus. Everyone knew about Baro, they all knew that he has been unconscious so it doesn’t matter if I just ran out of school. I practically left my backpack in my classroom, not even telling my professor that I’ll be leaving.

Mrs. Cha’s words kept ringing in my head. The only thing on my mind right now is Baro. Why did I need to the hospital? Did he wake up or did he –

 

“Just hurry.”

 

I didn’t even bother ride a bus to the hospital when I got to the streets, I just ran. My heart was pounding really hard, my chest constricted and I almost out right there on the street. No. I need to be positive. I should not think about that.

Miraculously, I managed to get to the hospital. Cold sweats broke out of my forehead, and my palms are so slick they almost slipped when I pushed the entrance to the hospital. When I reached his room though, I wished I hadn’t.

The first thing I noticed was that the monitors were no longer beeping. Instead, the entire room was silent. Dead silent. My heart went to my throat.

Everyone was there, and they have the same expression on their face.

 

Devastation.

 

I froze, my entire body turning numb when I took in Mrs. Cha’s somber face while she was being held by Hanna and Yoonji’s loud wails. Even Ji-hae’s eyes were rimmed in red.

Jinyoung was leaning on the wall beside the door staring at the ceiling, Shinwoo-ssi was crouched down on the floor, while he was being comforted by Gongchan who was also crying. When I went closer to Sandeul who was bowing down his head, he raised his head, his eyes filled with sadness and sympathy. He looked like he wanted to say something, but I just shook my head.

And there was Baro, in the exact same position as the last time I visited his. He was unnaturally still. It almost felt like he was gone. Tears started filling my eyes again. I stared down at his face, my heart pounding nervously on my chest.

 

“Baro” my voice trembled.

 

Silence.

 

“Baro.”

 

Once again, there was no answer.

I in deep breath refusing to believe it. This couldn’t be true, this isn’t happening. I felt a deep pressure weighing down on my chest, and I grabbed Baro’s limp and cold hand. Intertwining my fingers to his, “Baro! Baro, please wake up!” my voice broke. “Please! Just open your eyes. For your family, your friends! Please, open your eyes for me!” I broke down on my knees beside his bed still holding his hands.

 

He didn’t answer, not even a twitch. I was hyperventilating, in hysteria as pressure increased inside my chest. This isn’t true. I stood on my feet and grabbed his shoulders, I didn’t think about hurting him. All I think about is getting him open his eyes, so I could look at into those hazelnut orbs again. His eyes that made me feel visible.

 

“You can’t just leave me like this.” My voice came like shallow gasps as I could barely speak because of sobbing. “Please wake up! Please, please, please!” I don’t know if I was able to voice my pleading out because I couldn’t even breathe, “You told me you’d do everything to fight this.” I placed my head on his chest, suddenly too exhausted to stay upright, “Please wake up! I need you!” I sobbed even harder on his chest, “Please just open your eyes. I love you – you can’t be..” I squeezed my eyes shut, “You can’t go yet, I need you to stay.. please..” I tried to get hold of myself, but tears won’t stop streaming down my eyes, “I need to hear your voice, I need you to tell me you love me. I need you --”

I can’t believe I’ll never be able to hear his voice again. Never be able to kiss him. Not to be able his warmth again. to see him smile at me when he’s up to something silly.

 

Then I chuckled. My chest was heaving as I struggled to breathe. Wait, I didn’t chuckle. That wasn’t right. I slowly lifted my head. My eyes widened as I saw Baro gazing down at me with half amused expression on his face. “You know, I think I got turned off of you because of your crying. It’s loud and annoying.”

 

I gaped at him, too stunned to speak. I don’t know if I was dreaming or delusional, is he a ghost or something? And then I heard it.

The laughter.

Sandeul, Jinyoung, Shinwoo-ssi, Gongchan, Ji-hae, Hanna, Yoonji, and even Mrs. Cha burst into laughter. There were tears streaming down the sides of their eyes from laughing. Yoonji’s face was red as she shot me an apologetic look, though was still wearing a playful smile. Hanna looked sheepish.

 

I immediately stood up narrowing my eyes, “What is going on?” I demanded, as I snapped my head to stare down at Baro with his smirking face.

“oh, you should’ve heard yourself!” Sandeul gasped, “Please wake up! I need you!” he poorly imitated my voice.

 “You guys lied to me?” I splattered clenching my hands together.  “Oh god! I thought I was going to die of a heart attack!” I said rubbing my forehead with my hand as frustration crept my spine.

“Come on, Ji-Un, don’t be mad. I can’t believe you still don’t know how childish I could be.” Baro stretched his hands taking my hands.

I whacked his arm as hard as I can, though I was relieve that he was alive. He’s here. “that was a horrible joke!”

“Hey, it was Sandeul’s idea.” Then he frowned, “is that how you treat someone you love?”

 

Then everyone started teasing me once again, and I felt my cheeks flush again. oh my god. I just told him I loved him, and everyone heard it. I know I shouldn’t be embarrassed about it. But, I’m just not that open when it comes to private things like our relationship.

 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” I snapped trying to pull my hand away from his grip, but for someone who has been asleep for three weeks, he’s strong, “you must’ve heard wrong.”

Baro smirked while raising his brow at me, “Really?”

I rolled my eyes at him, “Stop giving me that look. Besides, when did you wake up?”

“Right before I called you.” Mrs. Cha looked like she had calmed down from laughing, but she still was smiling. “My dear, isn’t this so much better than just telling you he’s awake?”

“Yeah, where do you think is the fun there if we tell you he’s awake?” Sandeul blurted holding his laugh.

I snapped my head to him, “you all made me believe he was dead!” then I turned my attention back to Baro, I jabbed my finger on his chest “I am so not bringing you any get-well presents!”

Baro’s hazelnut brown eyes sparkled, and happiness swept over me. I really thought I was never going to see those eyes again. “well, how about a get-well kiss?” he pouted his lip for a kiss.

I lightly smacked his mouth with my hand, not intending to hurt him, “I don’t think you need that since you’re pretty well enough to trick me.”

He frowned and gave me a puppy look, “I didn’t get the chance to close our deal during our dinner.” Then he raised my left hand and stared at my finger where I was wearing the ring.

 

I’ve been wearing the ring that he gave me since that night, I didn’t even dare remove it. I guess, I was holding onto it because he had given it as a promise ring. It made me felt that somehow, if he wakes up, we’d be able to fulfill his promises together.

 

Then my lip twitched into a smile, “See! you want to kiss me too!” Baro declared triumphantly. “can I get a kiss now?”

I immediately quashed the smile, “Nope.” His face fell into a frown, and I can’t help but to giggle because of the sight. He had so much more making up to do.

 

 

+++

I immediately felt the cold November air the moment I walked out of my dorm. It’s been more than a month since Baro had woken up, everyone in campus had stopped giving me dirty looks ever since.  Baro had been healthy, that’s what I know.

I was a little down and disappointed for the past month. It’s been a month since the last time I saw Baro, I don’t really have any idea what was happening but it’s making me really utterly scared.

He wouldn’t answer my calls, Yoonji wouldn’t even try to tell me and whenever I ask her about her brother she just changes that topic and would instead talk about how she loves to be back in Korea. Even our friends won’t even dare talk about him when I’m with them.

The last time I talked to Baro, he told me that he’s visiting a doctor, a friend of Dr. Byun Hyun, who has offered him a new medical treatment to help him fight his cancer. He didn’t mention anything more. He just asked me to wait for him, which I agreed. But, I’ve been waiting for more than a month and I can’t take it.

He’d send me random messages and photos of him, but that’s not really enough. Wherever he is, whatever is happening right now is making me really uncomfortably scared. I swear I’m gonna reap his head off when I see him.

 

“hey” someone called from behind me.

I was scrambling for my things in my locker, nobody knows how I hoped so much to see Baro walk this hallway again and just pop out of nowhere. I know he had woken up but it felt like he hasn’t, since he’s not with me. Too bad when I looked around, it wasn’t Baro.

“Hey” I responded to Lee Joon as I glanced at him, and turned my attention back to my locker.

Lee Joon leaned on the locker beside mine, I had to admit I still feel awkward around him since the last time I had ever talked to him was when he stole a kiss from me. “Are you okay?”

“yeah~” I nodded faking a sad smile. Actually not, Baro is not here, and I’m feeling awkward around you.

Lee joon furrowed his brows at me as he pierced a look through me, “Look..” he paused for a moment, “I know that I did before is really unforgivable, but I hope we can still be- friends.”

I snapped my head to face him, I know I got really mad at him for kissing me, but he can be a good friend “yeah- sure~” I said giving him a slight smile.

He raised his brow at me, as if he can’t believe that I’m actually accepting his friendship offer, “Really?”

“yeah~” I nodded, as I locked my locker and made my way to my class.

Lee joon was walking beside me while his hands are in his pocket, we’re on same class so maybe it’s okay to just walk with him, “How’s Baro?” now, he didn’t really have to mention the name of the person who’s making me really mad for a month now.

“I don’t know and I don’t care.” I snapped at the mention of Baro.

 

I know I shouldn’t really be angry because Baro hadn’t been around because he needed to. But, the fact that he doesn’t even answer my calls, and would only send random massages about how he’s been doing is making me mad.

 

“so, I guess you’ve been waiting for him this whole time?” Lee Joon asked curiously

I don’t know why he’s acting like a detective now. “what? With him not calling and would just send random messages? With him constantly reminding me not to date anyone else? He’s gone now for more than a month!” I rolled my eyes at the thought again, “oh yeah! I’m totally okay with it!”

“yeah” Lee Joon backed away a bit from me, “Just don’t throw your books at me, I’m not Baro.”

“I know.” I said loosening my grip on my books, and started ignoring him instead.

 

I just really feel devastated today, I did receive an MMS from him last night, he sent a photo of him with a medical mask over his mouth with a ‘Check up day today!’ caption. But his photo did not make me feel any better.

Everything went well in school, though it actually felt like forever. I went straight to the café so I can earn extra income before winter break. Afternoon is usually busy, all the more for me to go help in the café. When I arrived at the café I was shocked to see Sandeul, at this time of the day. He would usually visit in the evening.

 

“hey, what’s up?” Sandeul’s happy voice rang inside the café as he landed his attention on me.

“YOU!” I shouted at him, I stomped my feet to his table, “tell your friend that I wouldn’t for him anymore.”

Sandeul shot me a confused look, and everyone in the café, mostly students turned their attention to us. Sandeul gave me a cheeky smile. “Why don’t you call him, and tell him that yourself?”

“Hey, I’m not kidding!” I said as I sat on the chair parallel to his.

He shrugged, “I know.”

I raised my brows at him, “I want you to get me a date this weekend.” I said to him, “I want it to be someone handsome, charming, and rich. I’m done waiting for Baro, and if he wants me, then he’d need to get his here and win me back.”

 

Sandeul only laughed.

 

“Finally.” 

 

 

 

 

+++

+++

Whatever entered my mind when I asked Sandeul to get me a date, I don’t know. But what’s more confusing is that thought that Sandeul didn’t even make me feel guilty for cheating on his friend, he gladly looked for a date.

This is my first time on a blind date, and I’d never been so nervous.

I tried to check for my reflection, my palm has been sweating the whole time because of nervousness. I’m still the same old me, nothing has changed and every time I see myself I still ask how Baro ever liked me over Ji-Hae. Now, I don’t even know if I look good enough for my blind date.

What is he finds me ugly? What if he doesn’t like my small nose?

Hun Ji Hun never date, in fact, it was only Baro who popped the question. And now, I don’t know how I should handle this. When all doubts are surging my back my beeped. It was Sandeul..

 

Don’t act weird and scare my friend okay? He’s really a nice guy.

 

Are you at the restaurant yet? He hates late.

 

You’ve got to be there okay? I get my all just to get you a date with him.

 

Sandeul had been sending me messages about the guy that he got me for a date for the past two days. Thig mystery guy according to him was rich, and also skilled with a lot of things, namely track and field, art, singing, and let’s not forget how Sandeul had mentioned how the guy put too much effort in shaping his abs.

I thought the guy was too good for me, the girl who never had anything her entire life.

Plus, the restaurant that he chose for us to meet was too expensive. You knew that you were in front of an expensive restaurant when the door to it was closed and there was someone with clear English accent greeting you.

 

“Welcome, Miss. Have you had reservation?”

I don’t know how to answer this.

“She’s with me.” A familiar male voice called out. From among the crowd of well-dressed people, came a certain disheveled blonde haired guy with a black suit. Baro was wearing his crooked smile to the host, his eyes were gleaming as he glanced over at me, “She’s the girl I was talking about, Sam.”

 

The host nodded respectfully towards Baro as he guided us to our table, I can’t help but to let my jaw lie dropping unattractively the whole time. Even after we sat and Baro ordered for us, I still can’t contain my shock.

 

Baro raised his eyebrow towards me, “What? You’re not even going to say ‘hi’ to me?”

My brain is still in shock for the next millisecond, and it seems like it doesn’t want to cooperate at that very moment. I gulp trying to get my voice chords back, and when I was able to talk I snapped at him, “I swear I’ll kill Sandeul after dumping your body. Where have you been?”

 

I saw a few people turning their attention to me after I blurted out those words at Baro. I don’t really care if they want to stare. Baro needs to explain a lot of things to me.

 

Baro then placed his hand on the table and rested his chin on his right hand while staring at me, “just yesterday. Sandeul called me, he told me that you were asking him to set you up on a date with a guy that’s handsome, charming, and rich.”

I crossed my arms in front of my chest while raising my brow at him, “exactly, that’s why I’m not expecting you here.”

Baro smiled even though my words stung him, “I’m sorry, Ji-un.”

“I don’t even-” I stopped my rant as the waiter came to our table to our wine to our glasses. He gave a smile to both me and Baro.

 

Right after he was gone, I immediately drank my share of wine, I don’t drink wine but I felt like my throat was drying so much that I can drink any liquid at the moment. The bittersweet taste washed through my throat and I made an unattractive facial expression which made Baro chuckle.

 

“Do you want to have a whole bottle?” Baro said still wearing his smile.

“We talk.” I glared at him.

“okay.” He just shrugged.

I was still glaring at him, “ you talk.”

“you’re just too good to be true.” He began, his smile spreading wide. “I can’t take my eyes off of you.”

“sweet talking to me right now will not help you, Baro.” I said while rolling my eyes.

“You’d be like heaven to touch. I wanna hold you so much.”

 

Wait. This was sounding familiar. Too familiar even.

 

Baro got up from his seat, and when he spoke, it wasn’t words anymore, but instead songs. He was singing, and that wasn’t the weirdest part, all of a sudden musical instruments started playing on the background and the waiters from the restaurant started dancing to the beat.

 

“As long last love has arrived, and I thank God I’m alive.” Without hesitation Baro got up to the table, I was taken aback to this, he’s now on the table dancing. Baro was singing with his low tone voice that sounded off tune for the sone, and I just can’t hold the smile from my lips.

“You’re just too good to be true, can’t take my eyes off of you.” The whole place now looked like a flash mob with Baro in front.

I tried covering my face with my hands, “this isn’t happening right?” I said, but I couldn’t help my mouth from quirking into a smile either. He was singing in front of me, and apparently, he bribed everyone in the restaurant to create a huge flash mob behind him, some dancing, some playing music, while some just stare and clapped their hands to the beat.

I was then surprised when Baro sang in a high tone the next lines.

 

“Pardon the way that I stare

There’s nothing else to compare

The sight of you leaves me weak

There are no words left to speak”

 

Baro then winked at me, and all of the waiters started to gather around me, all holding a red rose directed towards me. I took it one by one, suddenly I felt shy because of the attention.

He just continued singing his heart out while he pretended to be holding an imaginary microphone,

 

So if you feel like I feel

Please let me know that it’s real

You’re just too good to be true

Can’t take my eyes off of you…”

 

Apparently, Baro had made my life a musical since that day we bumped to each other. I never really knew I really needed someone like him to make me feel this way, I was contented. I never really thought I’d want, or have someone like him in my life.

The whole restaurant was watching in amusement even the ones that were not in the show. I kept my whole body still on the chair, but it was hard not to laugh when someone  was dedicated enough to give you your own show at a fancy restaurant.

Baro jumped off the table and started dancing and circling around me as he sang the chorus. When he went near me, I felt him sliding a flower around my ear, and as his fingers brushed against my ear, I felt body shudder. It’s still here. My feeling for him, it never went away.

 

“I love you baby and if it feels all right

I need you baby to warm the lonely nights

I love you baby, trust my when I say..”

 

Even more people started clapping, and I just can’t help but to start laughing.

 

“oh pretty baby, don’t bring me down I pray

Oh pretty baby, now that I found you stay

And let me love you baby, let me love you!!!”

 

Right after the instrumental, someone from the restaurant went beside Baro and gave him a square thing that looked like a paper. Everyone was staring at us expectantly.

 

“So maybe I’m not good as a singer,” Baro gasped for air, his hands were gripping the paper that was now on his hands, “But you had to admit, you love my voice when I’m not singing.”

I laughed, “you’re better a rapper, I think.”

“I still sound good,” he insisted.

I cringed my nose at him, he then went closer to me still holding the paper, “I actually wanted to give you this ever since the time helped you get the white paint from the stock room. It’s not really that good, but.. you had to admit I’m pretty talented at drawing.”

I raised a brow at him, “really?”

He turned to the paper towards me, and on it, I saw myself or at least a cartoon version of me. To say that it wasn’t messy was a lie, because it looked like Baro splashed crayons on it hoped for the best that it would look like me. Still, though, the drawing looked pretty nice.

“Does it look that bad?” he asked, frowning “my art teacher said that at least abstract is something that is appreciated by a lot of people.”

“your art teacher? Meaning Sandeul?” I giggled at the end of the sentence, “my skin is not green, and it looked like my eyes are disproportionate.” I said trying to sound cold but failing as I started laughing.

“yeah.” He handed the paper to me and I stared at it for a few seconds before staring back at Baro whose eyes never left me. “you wouldn’t really let me in easily huh?”

I shook my head and, smiling, “No, but I’ll still let you try.”

“Good thing, I’m not yet quite done.” Baro ed his suit, “for the past month that I’d been away, I tried to find myself again..”

My brows furrowed at the last sentence, “But you said-”

“Let me finish, okay?” he said as he leaned a little bit closer to me, “I realized, I’m me when I’m with you..”

I was silenced at this.

“It was hard trying to get better at the same time finding new things to cope up for the three years that I’ve lost in my life. But, I find it hard to do anything when I’m not with you. When I heard you crying the day I woke up, I realized I can’t make you cry anymore, I don’t want you crying over me ever again. So, I thought of the crazy thing.. ” he paused for a moment as he reached for my hand to hold, “I accepted Dr. Byun’s offer to get my treatment at a hospital specializing in helping cancer patients in Britain.”

I was frozen on my seat while listening to his explanation. He went to Britain, and worse he went there without me even knowing about it.

“before you get mad Ji-Un, I want you to know that I did this because I thought this would be better for us. And I realized how much of an idiot I was the moment I got to Britain. I am hopelessly and completely in love with you Ji-Un. Going there didn’t help me cope up with the years I lost feeling sorry for myself, it only showed me that I couldn’t possibly be me again without you. Being with you is how I can discover myself again, because I like myself when I’m with you, and I wish I could make a better or a healthy version of myself just so I can be worthy to stay with you forever.”

Something in my head was trying to hold back my tears, but it still fell. “So Baro, you left because you thought you were only going to hurt me?”

“I’m an idiot, I know.” He said lowering down his head. “but you’re still wearing my promise ring, so I guess you waited for me.” He said as smile started forming on the side of his lips again.

I was just blinking the tears away, “You’re ruining the moment.”

“but you’ve got to admit, I’m romantic.” He teased as his hand tightened its grip on mine.

“And an idiot.” I laughed as he his smile turned into a frown

“You’re still my girlfriend right?” he said in an unsure tone, and when he knew I wasn’t going to punch him or pull his hair off, he bent over closing the gap between our faces and gave me a kiss.

“Yes,” I managed to say that in between our kiss, “as long as you don’t suddenly disappear in my life again like that.”

“I assure you I won’t” he said smiling.

I pulled away from him and looked intently to his eyes, he was smiling while his eyes were sparkling in delight, “You know that’s not possible, right?” and the thought of him leaving one day, without the chance of ever coming back made me feel like a knife was stabbed on my chest.

He just smiled, “Who knows.”

 

 

I don’t know what he meant by that, but when he kissed me again.. I know everything was just right, I don’t have to worry about what the future might bring, and just enjoy my moment with him.

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

 Thank you so much for reading my story everyone! I'm happy that there are readers like you who appreciated my work! 

It's sad that this is the last chapter for this story.  I actually don't want to end it yet, but I'm going be busy soon. :(

I hope you guys liked the last part, I tried to come up with a good ending :)

Love lots :*

 

Trivia:

1. Baro was really supposed to die, and ji-Un was supposed to get in ana ccident and forge about Baro.

2. I originally plotted the whole story to have a tragic ending, but knowing that Baro is sick is tragic enough, I thought I can't break my readers hearts that much.