Chapter 8

What Happened to Us?

 

"It's sad when someone disappears from your life without warning. If I'm just going to get hurt, I don't want to form any bonds to begin with. Just playing around superficially is good enough." – Yozora



 

 

Author’s POV (Right after Taeyeon and Jessica left Sunny’s Restaurant)

At Taeyeon’s car

The smaller girl who was driving is stealing glances on the girl beside her. The other girl kept an expressionless face as she stared out the window.

“Sica…” Taeyeon called out.

Jessica turned her head to Taeyeon. “Taeng, I changed my mind. Can we please go to Han River first?”

Taeyeon complied with Jessica’s request. She knew that her friend still can’t get over what happened today. She hoped that her alone time with Jessica will get her to open up and talk about things that bothered her.

After a few minutes of driving, they arrived at the Han River. They bought hot chocolate and sat in one of the benches. There’s a long moment of silence between them. Both of them didn’t find it awkward. In fact, the silence was somehow soothing.

They remained like that for a couple more minutes until Jessica broke the ice.

“She’s Yuri.”

“Pardon?” Taeyeon liked this. It was a rare moment for Jessica to open up to her and she thought that this may be her chance so she had to listen to every word.

“The girl who called my name earlier is Yuri. She’s my best friend’s girlfriend.”

“So, the other girl must be…”

“Yeah. The girl who was talking to her is my best friend.” Jessica said sadly.

 “Correction, she WAS your best friend.” Taeyeon stated clearly.

Jessica smiled sadly at hearing Taeyeon’s comment. As much as she hated it, it was the truth. She had to accept it no matter what.

Taeyeon noticed Jessica’s more depressing aura so she panicked and quickly apologized.

“I-I’m sorry. I-I didn’t mean it that way. I-uh…”

Jessica looked at her and laughed bitterly.

“You really don’t have to say sorry. What you said is true anyway. I guess I can no longer consider her as my best friend now, huh?” Jessica sighed.

Taeyeon still felt guilty with what she said. She tried to say something but she couldn’t think of any. Instead, she took Jessica’s delicate hand and intertwined it with hers. She felt a jolt of electricity and right then, she knew it was too late.

Jessica was surprised with Taeyeon’s bold action. She almost flinched but she managed to retain her composure. She just let Taeyeon’s warmth ease her worries temporarily.

“You know, Taeng, it’s really difficult not to fall in love with a friend especially when you’ve known them for a long time. There always comes a time when you stop and think. Then it hits you… REAL HARD. You just realize that it’s not friendship that you want anymore. The worst part is that they leave you without warning and be happy with someone else. And that’s the time when you end up being a disaster. That’s what happened to me.”

Jessica felt the tears rolling down on her cheeks. She wanted it to stop but it seems that her eyes like sweating too much.

Seeing Jessica like this only broke Taeyeon’s heart. She wiped Jessica’s tears with her free hand and smiled bitterly.

“I know how you feel, Sica. I feel the same way for my friend. But I won’t let her leave my side. I’d make sure she feels my presence. My love.”

Jessica’s face showed she was surprised with her friend’s answer. Taeyeon has never told her about liking anyone I particular. And they had known each other for quite some time too.

“Y-You know how I feel? D-do you like someone, Taeng?”

Taeyeon laughed because Jessica had already stopped crying in an instant.

“Yes, Sica. I do like someone but she doesn’t know. Yet.”

“Omo! Really? How come I don’t even know?! You didn’t tell me! And here I am, thinking that all our times spent together mean something to you. Pfft.” Jessica puffed her cheeks and pouted while crossing her arms.

Taeyeon laughed heartily on Jessica’s reaction. She finds it too cute but she was a bit disappointed when Jessica had to pull her hand from hers.

“Come on, Sica. Don’t be mad.”

“…” Jessica ignored her and pretended to look elsewhere.

“You want to meet her? She’s here.”

This got Jessica’s attention. Whoever this girl is, she felt the need to meet her. And probably give her some lecturing.

“She’s here? Where?”

Taeyeon smiled at her “Look around you.”

Being the good friend that she is, Jessica told what her friend told her to. She scanned the whole place around her and stared (more like glared) at the possible candidates for Taeyeon’s affection.

“Which one of them is it, Taeng?”

“The one you don’t see.” Taeyeon said proudly.

“What? Is it a ghost then? Stop playing around!” Jessica playfully slapped Taeyeon’s arm.

Meanwhile, Taeyeon mentally facepalmed herself for her EPIC FAIL confession. She need to think up of another way soon. At that time, it seemed that her energy got automatically drained as if she was faced with a math problem.

“I’ll tell you about it later. It’s already late. You need to rest. Leet me take you home.” Taeyeon said nonchalantly.

Jessica got curious with her friend’s sudden change of behavior but she thought that maybe Taeyeon is tired already so she didn’t object anymore. She was also curious about the girl who Taeyeon is talking about. She didn’t know exactly why but she felt this sudden eagerness of finding out. And she swears that she would.

SOON.

“Alright. Let’s go home.”

 


A/N: Here you go! Short update... I know. This was supposed to be longer but I decided to cut it into two because I know I can't update according to my schedule. So there. Forgive me, people! I don't really know how to make fluff. This is all I can manage.

Poor me...