Chapter 2

What Happened to Us?

(Continuation of flashback)

 

         "Jessi, I'm in love"

         My ears couldn't believe what I just heard. I stood there, waiting for more words to come from your mouth. I was secretly hoping that your love is for me. I was wishing that the day has finally come that you feel the same way for me. I smiled at that thought.

 

         You must've noticed that I was thinking deeply (maybe for you it seemed like that I was zoning out or daydreaming). Then, you continued speaking.

         

         "Jess, did you hear me?"

         "Huh?". I was still lost in thinking.

         "Jessie, I said I'm in love"

         "With who?"

         You bit your lower lip while turning your gaze upon the floor. I wasn't sure but I noticed that you were blushing. There was a moment of silence upon us and I already had the feeling that it was bad news for me.

 

         You lifted your head up and looked straight into my eyes.

 

         "I love Yu-".

         "WHAAAAAAAAT?! YOU LOVE ME?!!!".

         "Eh? No, Jess. Gosh, will you let me finish first?".

         OUCH. Says my heart. I got rejected.

         "Oh! Go on. I'm listening"

         "As I was saying before you cut me off, I love Yuri!". You squealed like a child with the ever hurtful slaps on my arm.

 

         For a moment there, I felt like the world around is spinning. I couldn't think clearly. I never thought that loving someone who loves somebody else could hurt this much. Especially when that certain someone is regarded as your best friend.

 

        I guess that's what happens when you're considered 'friend zoned'. You try so hard to become a good friend your loved one and then you realize that a good friend is you'll ever be. Nothing more. Nothing less.

 

        I tried so hard to look happy as I was looking for the right words to say. "Wow. I never expected that. Well, have you confessed to her yet?"

 

       You sat on a bench and I followed your actions. You looked at the stars above while I looked at mine.

 

       "Hmm. Not yet. But I'm planning to tell her soon". You seemed nervous because you were playing with your fingers.

       I sighed. Lying isn't really in my line of specialization.

       "That's great! Rumor has it that she likes you. You should go for it. I'm here to support you, Tiff!". My words felt like daggers to my Jeti heart.

       Your eyes lit up and suddenly you're like an excited elementary school student who couldn't wait for her fieldtrip. "Really? Do you reallt think so?".

       "Of course! I mean, who wouldn't like you? You're beautiful, friendly, talented, gorgeous. Clumsy. And. Dense.".

       "Yah! Did you really have to include the last two? Pfftt".

        You pouted and I find it really cute when you do that. Sometimes you just have no idea how you affect people. How you affected me.

       "Hey now, I'm just kidding. You may never be the perfect but you never fail to make everyone around you smile whenever you smile. Not a lot of people can do that. Only you. Some people may refer to you as one who is 'brighter than gems' but for me, you're brighter than the sun. You're very special, Tiffany. Always remember that". I turned my head away after saying that. I felt my cheeks heating up and I didn't want you to see it. You slapped my arm and that made me face you again.

 

       I noticed tears forming in your eyes and I panicked. I had always hated seeing you cry.

       "Hey! What's wrong? Did I say somethind wrong? Tell me".

       You shook your head and suddenly hugged me tight. You put your head on my shoulders. How I wish we could stay like that.

       "No. I'm okay. It's just that you're the sweetest person I know. Thanks for being there for me always, Jessi. I'm lucky to have you as my bestfriend (double ouch). Hey, Jess. Can you promise me something?"

       "Huh? Sure. As long as I can do it, why not? What is it?"

       You pulled away from the hug and smiled at me.

       "We'll be best friends forever. Okay?"

       "Uhuh. Sure!. I forced a smile.

       "Pinky promise?"

       "Wha? Aren't you too old for that?"

       "YAH! Our ages aren't that far! Just do it, please? For me?".

       "Alright. I promise", I said as I finally linked my pinky finger with yours.

 

       True enough. Promises are made to be broken.

 

TBC


A/N: Hey there! Just wanna thank all of the ones who subscribed and commented. I really appreciate it since I'm a first time writer. This chapter is just a glimpse of Jessica's feelings for Tiffany. Sorry if it was boring. I was bored when I wriote this. Next update should be probably next week. Thank you all!