Chapter 10

What Happened to Us?

 

Author’s POV

 

A blonde girl just woke up from a nightmare. She was breathing furiously and her heart was beating fast. It was as if her heart was trying to get out from her chest. When her breathing got to the normal level, she checked the time.

 

2:00 am.

 

It was always at this time of night when her nightmares occur. For the past five years, it had always been the same nightmare which haunts her.

 

The screaming,

 

The wailing,

 

The evil laughing.

 

She shut her eyes as she tried to remove the memory from her mind. Then, she went to the kitchen to drink water. She put down the glass on the table and leaned on the wall.

 

“This has to stop… I have to stop her. Or else…”

 

She sighed as she thinks about the consequences.

 

“Not so good.”

 

--------------------------

Chaerin was busy driving. She was on her way to her oppa’s office. She was finally putting her plan into action.

 

Although she looked very confident in front of the SooSun couple, she still had doubts regarding the game plan. She knew it had flaws somewhere. If she pushed too hard, everything will be in chaos. She can’t let that happen.

 

She didn’t want to risk Jessica’s life but there’s no looking back now. All she can hope for is that the damages won’t be too large.

 

Even if the plan did work, there may be shortcomings ahead. For every successful outcome, there are scores of costly disappointments. Besides, if a person is happy, doesn’t that mean that someone else is suffering?

 

Chaerin let out a sigh as she pushed the negative thoughts out of her head. Negative thinking will be of no help at all.

 

‘Jessica…’

 

She knew she had to help Jessica. She needs to prevent Jessica from going back to her old self. She didn’t want to let her friend be in the same dark place as she was before.

 

‘And Taeyon…’

 

If ever things get out of control, Taeyeon will be there. She will be the remedy to a bleeding heart. She will be the light in the time of darkest hour.

 

Her plan is too risky and the chances are not looking good. She needs to calculate her every move. The only motivation she has is Jessica herself and the risk theory.

 

The higher the risk, the higher the return.

 

Chaerin parked her car and got out of her car. She looked at the building before her.

 

‘Lee Enterprises’

 

She went inside and was greeted by the employees who seemed surprised to see ‘the woman behind the company’. She ignored them all and walked to the elevator. She got in and pressed the number where the CEO’s office was located.

 

21st floor.

 

The elevator stopped at the 9th floor. The door opened and revealed a beautiful red haired girl.

 

‘It’s her. The one who caused Jessica’s sufferings.’ Chaerin thought.

 

The said girl got in and stood beside her. They were alone in the elevator. By the looks of it, the other girl seems to be getting off athe same floor as Chaerin because she didn’t press any button.

 

Chaerin took this chance to examine the girl through the reflection.

 

‘No wonder Jessica likes her. Even her scent is addicting. Taeng has one tough rival here.’ Chaerin thought. She did her best not to show her amused smile.

 

On the other hand, the red haired girl was also stealing glances at the blonde girl.

 

‘I think I’ve seen her before. Where was it?’ The other girl thought.

 

Before they know it, the elevator already arrived at the 21st floor. Both of them got out and went in different ways.

 

One girl was smiling. The other one is amused.

 

‘We’ll meet again soon.’

 

Chaerin walked straight into the CEO’s office. The secretary didn’t even bother to stop her as she was used to seeing Chaerin barge into her brother’s office.

 

Once she got in, she threw her branded bag into a chair and sat on another one.

 

“What brings you here, CL?” The young man asked without looking up from his laptop.

 

“Always straight to the point, oppa.”

 

The young man closed his laptop and looked at his sister with his deceiving foxy eyes.

 

“Well, you only seem to rember me when you need something.” He looked at her with his puppy eyes.

 

“Stop being overdramatic, oppa. You know that’s not true.” Chaerin insisted.

 

“..”

 

“Okay, maybe just a little bit.”

 

He raised an eyebrow.

 

“Ugh. Alright! I do it all the time. But at least I make sure that your help is my last resort.”

 

The guy just laughed and stood up from his seat. “Let me get back to the question. What brings you here?”

 

Chaerin smiled. “You know that job you want me to do?”

 

“The financial manager? You’re finally accepting it?”

 

“Certainly not oppa. I want to recommend someoneto take that job.”

 

“Wow. I never expected this from you. It’s rare to see you taking control of your own company.”

 

“I’m not taking control. I just wanted to do something for a friend. Is that too much to ask?”

 

He just shrugged his shoulders. “Of course, I can do what you want.  I see your eyes are full of excitement, huh? This friend of yours must be very special huh?

 

“Yeah. You could say that. By the way, the friend I’m referring to is Jessica.”

 

“J-Jessica? Jessica Jung??? That’s brilliant! She’s that beautiful friend of yours, right? This is gonna be good.” Her brother’s eyes gleamed in excitement.

 

“FYI, my brother dear, ALL OF MY FRIENDS ARE BEAUTIFUL! You just have high standards. and pleasea, don’t you ever think of hitting on her. I didn’t put her here just so you can flirt on her. Got that?” Chaerin gave her brother a cold glare.

 

The guy just raised his hands in defeat.

 

“I won’t! you’re lucky I’m the acting CEO and not Donghae. If it was him, he’d be all over Jessica.”

 

‘And, he’d ruin my plan.’ Chaerin thought.

 

“I know that oppa. He can be a real idiot when it comes to women. Can I ask for another favor?”

 

“Feel free. Anything for my sister.”

 

“Keep an eye on Jessica. Make sure she’s… comfortable.”

 

The guy was confused but he nodded his head anyway.

 

“Is that all?”

 

“One last thing though. Who’s the employee with the red hair?”

 

“Red hair? You mean Tiffany. What about her? Is she your type?” He smirked.

 

She walked towards her brother and patted his shoulder. “You certainly have no sense of humor, brother. You should work on it a little more. Anyway, I’ve got to go now. I have to work.”

 

“Alright CL. Be careful, okay? The enemy of yours might be around the corner.” His voice got husky and dark all of a sudden.

 

Chaerin turned pale.

 

“I will, Sungmin oppa. I’m going now. See you later.”

 

Chaerin rushed out of the building flustered.

 

‘I won’t let you defeat me. I’ll make sure you’d reveal yourself.’

 


A/N:  AYO, FELLOW FANYTASTICS! Say hi to Tiffany! She finally made an legit appearance and we got a peek on her thoughts! She thought she already saw CL. Hmmm.....

I'm not going to update for more than a week. Mianhe. First day of exam is on Sunday and I just had to squeeze this update for you people.

Don't worry. JeTi will finally see each other next chapter. Watch out for that one.

Thanks to all who comments especially the regular readers.. And I wish silent readers will not be so silent anymore. Thanks also to the new subscribers!