Chapter 18

What Happened to Us?

 

Hyoyeon’s POV

 

It was a quiet Saturday morning for me. The only sound I could hear is the ticking of the clock and my fingers tapping the table. I took a glance at the wall clock for the nth time. It was five minutes before 9am. She won’t come until then.

I leaned back in my chair and gazed at the floor. Lots of things are going on inside my head. As of this moment, I haven’t figured out anything yet. I need to find a way out of this mess before she executes her plan.

 

Jessica doesn’t even know a thing about this. She doesn’t deserve to be dragged in this problem. If only I could tell her directly.

 

I heard a knock on the door.

 

“Come in.”

 

“Your next patient is here, Dr. Kim.” My secretary said.

 

“Thank you. Just let her in.”

 

I took a deep breath and fixed myself.

 

This is it.

 

I saw her enter in my office. Upon seeing me, she had a smirk plastered on her beautiful face. Who could’ve guessed that this pretty lady in front of me is a dangerous one? She even fooled me, a psychiatrist.

 

She took a seat and looked at me with those menacing eyes.

 

“It’s been a while since I saw you, Dr. Kim Hyoyeon.”

 

The way she said my name…

 

 

It was horrifying.

 

 

 

The next day…

 

Author’s POV

 

 

Sungmin was having his coffee in his library.

 

“Ahh. There’s nothing like a cup of freshly brewed coffee in a perfect morning.”

 

“OPPA!” a voice yelled.

 

The door was opened and Chaerin came in. She crossed her arms and glared at her older brother. The latter remained silent despite seeing his sister fuming with anger.

 

“What did I do this time?”

 

“Stop acting like you’re innocent, oppa. You… you’re leaving for Japan!”

 

The young man gave her a small smile. “It’s hopefully only for a short time, CL. You will be temporarily replacing me in the company. I will come back before you know it. Don’t be sad, sis. I’d miss you too.”

 

“YAH! Who says I’m going to miss you? That’s totally way out of line. I’m more worried about my plan. With me being there inside, they might get suspicious of me. Besides, I’m still on the lookout for you-know-who.” Chaerin bit her lip.

 

Sungmin laughed. “You already got Sunny and Sooyoung to help you out with Jessica, right? I know those two would do a good job. They have always been on your side. And if you’re not satisfied with that, you still have the power of the CEO while I’m gone.”

 

“That’s what I’m avoiding to happen.” CL mumbled.

 

Sungmin’s face got serious.

 

“Look, CL. I know you’re doing this for a friend and I’m always willing to help you. Your main strategy will take effect on Monday and I wish I could be there to support you. But this trip is inevitable. Grandpa needs me.” He whispered the last sentence.

 

“Grandpa needs you? Wae?” CL asked.

 

Sungmin sighed and clasped his hands together. His foxy eyes showed mixed emotions that even the game master, CL, can’t read. “You’re not supposed to know about this but… you are part of the family. You have all the rights to know. You see, someone is attempting to take-over our company that’s based in Japan.”

 

CL chuckled as if her brother told her a good joke. “That’s impossible. Our family has been a major stockholder for years. Grandpa established that company and we always had a good position in it. Our grandpa’s company is one of the best in Japan. This can’t be happening. So tell me. Which company is it?”

 

“The Cho Industries.”

 

Chaerin’s eyes widened and her face turned pale. “How did that happen? I thought Donghae oppa got rid of them two years ago. Didn’t he say that he made sure they won’t recover again?”

 

“I know. It still confuses me until now. They got back up for a relatively short amount of time and to think that they’re planning to take over us so soon. I found it hard to believe when Dad first told me but a few days back, I met Kyuhyun in one of business gatherings. That confirmed it. That’s why I’m going to Japan tonight. I need to prevent the merger from happening. Do you understand now, CL?”

 

The blonde nodded. “I still find it weird though. Do you think someone might be behind this? The Cho family went bankrupt so there’s a high possibility that someone helped them.”

 

“By someone, you don’t mean…”

 

“Exactly.”

 

A knock was heard, interrupting the siblings’ conversation. Changmin, the family’s butler, came in with a box in his hands. “There’s a package for you, MS. Chaerin.”

 

The siblings looked at each other knowingly.

 

How could someone send this here? I’m not even staying at this mansion since I graduated from college.- Chaerin.

 

Nevertheless, she took the box from their butler. When Changmin had already left, CL scanned the box.

 

“Why don’t you open it?” Sungmin suggested.

 

She did what her brother told her. Inside the box, she found a black cat stuff toy and a card. She took it out and breathed deeply before she read the message written.

 

Two can play at this game. -  ♣

 

 

Meanwhile at the Jung’s residence…

 

Author’s POV

 

 

Today is Sunday and it was also Jessica’s day off. During Sundays, there were only three things to do; eat, sleep and read a book. She always spends her Sundays that way unless her three minions barge in her house and separate her from her precious bed.

 

Today is somehow different though. She lay in her bed but she couldn’t sleep. She tried to read a book but her mind couldn’t fully absorb whatever she was reading. She also had no appetite (more like she can’t cook a meal for herself). Strangely, neither of the three dorks has come over. Those three haven’t even called Jessica or flooded her inbox.

 

She was still lying her bed with her right arm over her head when the door opened.

 

“Don’t you have anything better to do than to disturb me?”

 

The younger Jung showed her mischievous smile. “Nope. I actually want to spend this day with you, unnie.”

 

“Did I hear it right? I think you hit your head or something. You’re acting weird today.”

 

“YAH! I’m doing this a favor.” Krystal said as she sat on Jessica’s bed.

 

“What kind of favor is that? Should I feel grateful?” Jessica mocked her sister.

 

“Think about it, the last time we had a sisterly bonding was when Tiffany unnie…”

 

Krystal stopped when she noticed her sister’s change of mood. Then she realized that she just said a taboo word like when wizards shouldn’t say Voldemort’s name.

 

Being the ever caring sister that she is, Krystal grabbed the nearest pillow and threw it in Jessica’s face. “Would you stop being so gloomy?! It’s doesn’t suit you at all.”

 

Jessica glared at her sister and took her revenge by throwing a pillow at Krystal. Sad to say, Jessica always had a bad aim.

 

“I’m not being gloomy! I’m just thinking about… certain things.” Jessica reasoned.

 

“You mean certain people… like Tiffany.” Krystal said as she lay next to her sister.

 

Jessica sighed in defeat. She knew she can’t keep anything from Krystal.

 

“It had always been her, Krys. After all, she is my first love. She’s special.”

 

“Can’t you just take your mind off her even for a day?” Look at yourself! You’re just lying in your bed all day when the world outside offers you a lot of opportunities to be happy.”

 

“You don’t understand. Tiffany is my happiness.” Jessica defended.

 

“You’re pathetic! So you mean, you’re not happy when you’re with me or your friends?!” Krystal was getting pissed.

 

“You know that’s not what I meant.” Jessica was trying hard enough to remain calm but deep inside, the pain was getting unbearable.

 

Krystal noticed that her sister’s eyes were getting teary. She felt sorry so she held Jessica’s hand tightly.

 

“I’m sorry about that.  It’s just that I’m tired of seeing you like this. Many years had passed already. I think it’s time for you to let go of your feelings.”

 

Krystal paused and looked at her sister who was already crying. Then, she shifted her gaze on the ceiling and continued her speech.

 

“Maybe, you’re right. Being with Tiffany makes you happy. But she’s not with you right now. You can’t be sure that she’s THE ONE until you settle things with her. One thing is for sure; your battle for love hasn’t even begun yet. Unless you try, you won’t have a chance. Don’t make the same mistake that I did with my own battle. I ran away from it and where does it get me? You see, when you run away, love might not run after you and in the end, it will be your loss. You have to fight until the end. If you really want Tiffany back in your life, then show her you’re worth it. If that’s not enough for her, then you have to learn the art of letting go.”

 

Jessica has now stopped crying. She was trying to absorb everything that her sister is telling her as of this moment.

 

“Besides, if that Hwang truly wants to be with you, nothing can keep her away from you. She’ll do everything in her power just to be with you. But she didn’t, right?”

 

Krystal sighed before she continued. “Sometimes, you have to distance yourself to certain people not because you don’t love them. It’s because you have to move forward with your life. And the best way to move on is to…”

 

Krystal turned her head only to see a sleeping princess.

 

“My throat hurts from speaking and this is what I get in return? Unbelievable! Aish!” She got up and walked out of the room. She took out her phone and stared at it.

 

“I won’t regret doing this, right?” she mumbled to herself.

 

She sighed and dialed a number. She waited until the person she was calling picked it up.

 

“…”
 

 

“Yes. It’s me.”

 

“…”

 

“I know. I’m ready when you are. Now, tell me about this plan of yours.”

 

Upon hearing the person’s plan, Krystal smirked to herself.

 

“Let’s do this.”

 


A/N: GO KRYSTAL! Show 'em who's boss! kekeke. How's that? Another long chapter for me. Sorry about this, I'm not really satisfied with this chapter but it's better to give an update, yeah?

Who's POV do you want me to write for Chapter 19? You can only choose among, Tiffany, Yuri, Seohyun and Hyoyeon.

Until then, see you soon! Don't forget to leave comments. ^_^v