The Sweetest Goodbye

ATTRACTION: No Love Involved

 

There was an awkward silence in the table of Jaeun and Minhee.

The two are together to have lunch today but neither one of them wants to talk. Especially Minhee.

Maybe today is the most dreaded day of her life. And maybe today is one of those days that would break her heart entirely.

Maybe this is the day where she wanted to forget everything. To not get hurt.

But no…

She has to face this day.

This is the day.

The day when his man leaves her behind.

Yes, Gongchan is going to America today. He is going to have a kidney transplant in one of the most prestigious hospitals abroad.

Minhee couldn’t get the entire point anyway.

Why does he need to have the operation outside Korea? There are high class hospitals around and going to the States isn’t really supposed to be an option.

Gongchan told her that it is for the best but she really couldn’t get his point.

What is good about him having a kidney transplant away from her?

What is good about her not going to take of him when he needs her the most?

Sounds absurd right?

But yeah, that’s how it is.

Gongchan is leaving today.

And that’s never, never going to change.

And now, Minhee is spacing out at her food again. She hasn’t eaten any good food today. Or have eaten enough these past few days.

She has been living like hell. She isn’t someone who smiles a lot anymore. She is not that sociable anymore.

And Jaeun is worrying about this. She wants her old best friend back.

“Minhee,” she called.

Minhee looked at her and smiled weakly. So not like those Minhee smiles that Jaeun had seen everyday in years.

This one is a sad smile.

“Has he called yet?” Jaeun asked reluctantly.

Minhee sighed and shook his head as she played on her food. “Not a call since last night.” She replied.

Jaeun looked at her, sad at how Minhee is taking all these in. She isn’t like this. She knows that Minhee treats problems positively but this is… This is just an exception.

Maybe she loved Gongchan so much.

Jaeun sighed. “Do you want to see him before he leaves?” She asked.

Minhee looked at her, questioning. “What do you mean?” She asked, her tone is a bit changing.

Jaeun smiled. “Do you want to see Gongchan before he leaves? At least say your goodbyes?” She asked again.

Minhee smiled and nodded. “Can you do that?” She asked.

Jaeun felt happy to see Minhee smile again. She nodded. “Of course.” She said as she looked at her watch. “Come on! We have less than an hour left.” She called as both of them hurried to Jaeun’s car.

 

 

 

 

 

“Hyung, I thought you like Minhee?” L asked Sunggyu.

There were just the two of them in the table of Infinite. The rest went to play video games.

Sunggyu sighed and smiled and he watched Jaeun and Minhee ran off to somewhere. “She loves someone else. What do you expect me to do?” He asked.

“But you love her.” L insisted.

Sunggyu chuckled and nodded. “I do.” He said. “But loving her too much is not enough to make her love me. Minhee loving me is a whole lot of a different story.” He said sadly, but still manages to smile.

L looked into his hyung and then he understood.

Love is selfless.

You would rather hurt than see the one you love get hurt.

You would rather be sad than see the one you love sad and cry.

You would sacrifice your own happiness for the happiness of the one you love.

True love.

L smiled and looked at Jaeun.

Yes. That is what he is feeling for her. This feeling is real. This is true love.

Then he looked at Sunggyu. That is selfless love. Another form of true love.

“So you’ve got to take care of Jaeun well, Myungsoo.” Sunggyu said. “I don’t think she can make it if you hurt her one more time.” He said.

L nodded. “I will never let that happen again, hyung.” HE said confidently. “I have lost her once, I barely survived. I would never make the same mistake again. It’s just… Just too painful.” He added.

Sunggyu nodded. “Exactly. It’s painful.” He said as he felt his chest ripping into pieces. *But for her happiness, I will endure all the pain.* He thought as he looked at Minhee.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Are we there yet?” Minhee asked Jaeun as they drove off the airport.

“Almost there.” Jaeun replied as she fixed her eyes on the road. “DAMN!!!!” She whined as she saw the red light again. “I hate it when I am in a hurry and that red light just keeps on showing up!” She complained as she tapped her fingers into the steering wheel.

Minhee, on the other hand, was fidgety in her seat. She wanted to teleport right now. She wanted to go to the airport already. She wanted to arrive already.

Jaeun sped off as soon as she saw the green light on. Damn, she wanted her friend and best friend to make up before he leaves.

They arrived at the airport in record time. Thanks to Jaeun.

“Go find him. I’ll just park.” Jaeun told Minhee.

Minhee nodded and sped off to the entrance of the airport.

She ran and ran and ran until she found this familiar guy sitting in a bench, waiting for his flight. She ran to him as quickly as she can.

“Gongchan.” She panted.

Gongchan looked at Minhee surprised. “Minhee? What are you doing here?” He asked still shocked.

Minhee gave him a fierce look. “Why didn’t you call me huh?” She asked. “You would leave me without saying goodbye?” She asked again.

Gongchan looked at her passionately. “I just can’t imagine myself saying goodbye with the woman I love.” He said as he pulled her into a hug.

Minhee automatically wrapped her arms around Gongchan.

Gongchan chuckled and caressed her back. God. How he would miss this girl so much. How he wanted to hug her for all eternity.

“You will wait for me, right?” He whispered to her ears.

Minhee nodded and looked at his eyes. “You better come back.” She warned.

Gongchan chuckled and nodded. “I will of course.” He said as he kissed the bridge of her nose. “I will miss you so much.” He said as he kissed her forehead.

“I love you.” They chorused as they pressed their lips with each other’s.

“Attention to all passengers in Flight 234-B to Washington DC….” The speaker (Sorry I forgot the term) was continuously calling all the passengers.

Gongchan looked at Minhee and smiled bitterly. “I’m going.” He said.

Minhee smiled and nodded. “Take care. Call me.” She said.

Gongchan nodded. “I will.” He said as he squeezed her hand.

Minhee smiled. “I will miss you.” She said.

“Me too.” Gongchan replied. “Don’t look at other guys okay?” He ordered.

Minhee chuckled. “I will not.” She replied. “You too. Don’t look into those American girls that would try to hit on you.” She ordered.

Gongchan nodded. “I will not. You are the only girl in my eyes.” He replied.

Minhee blushed at his words. How can he be so calm about all this?

She sighed. “Go. You can’t miss you flight.” She said.

Gongchan nodded and reluctantly let go of her hand. Damn. How he wanted to stay by her side.

“I love you.” He said. “Always remember that.” He added.

Minhee nodded. “Me too. I will wait for you.” She replied.

Gongchan nodded and went in.

Just like that, he left.