Slip of the Tongue

ATTRACTION: No Love Involved

 

“So are you really leaving us behind?”

Jaeun started to interrogate Gongchan at lunch. She was so happy that Minhee didn’t show up. Well, it’s not like Jaeun’s being a bad friend but she wanted to ask Gongchan everything. So, she would know what to do.

And now, here they are. Sitting in their usual place in the school cafeteria.

Gongchan sighed and looked away, raking his fingers through his hair. “I have a reason, okay?” He replied.

Jaeun raised her brow. “And what is that?” She asked immediately, looking deep into Gongchan’s eyes.

Gongchan shut his eyes forcefully. “Well, that – I am not supposed to tell you.” He said.

“COME ON, GONGCHAN! I am your friend! Why can’t you tell me?” She hollered back at him. She is frustrated of what is happening to Gongchan all of a sudden.

First he confesses he loves Minhee.

And now, he is leaving without even telling the reason behind it.

Jaeun sighed and looked at Gongchan, her look is pissed. Her look is really telling him that what he is saying is not acceptable. Not with a Kwon Jaeun.

“You can’t just leave us, or Minhee without telling us, or Minhee the reason why you are leaving.” She said, calmer than the earlier.

Gongchan sighed as he looked at Jaeun. How would he say? How would he tell her that he is leaving because he is afraid that his feelings for Minhee would grow fonder and he would forget that he needs to leave immediately, as soon as possible.

He couldn’t bare telling them – especially Minhee – that he is dying.

He couldn’t. He couldn’t just leave her devastated like that. Or will Minhee be?

Jaeun sighed. “Well, if you don’t want to tell me, that’s fine. But at least have a good talk with Minhee. She is feeling and looking like hell.” She started. “So, please. Please, Gongchan. Tell her everything about you leaving so freaking suddenly.” She begged. This is not what Jaeun usually does, but for Minhee, her best friend, she would.

Gongchan looked at Jaeun who is fixing her things and preparing to leave.

“She’ll be here in a minute, so please. Tell her the truth and nothing but the truth.” She said as she took her things and left.

 

 

 

 

 

“What is happening?” L asked Jaeun as he caught up with her after seeing that her conversation with Gongchan is done.

Jaeun sighed and looked at L. Her eyes are looking so tired. L even flinched seeing her eyes like that.

“Hey,” He said as he tugged her arm. “Mind telling me what’s wrong?” He asked in a really worried tone.

Jaeun breathed heavily. “Nothing. Everything’s fine.” She replied as she looked at Gongchan’s figure. “It’s just that Gongchan is leaving and he doesn’t want to tell the reason why he is leaving.” She added as she smiled at L. A fake smile.

L looked at Gongchan, then back to Jaeun. “I don’t get it. He told me he loves Minhee but why is he leaving like that? Without telling the reason?” He asked.

Jaeun looked at L weirdly. “How did you know he loves Minhee?” She asked suspiciously.

L stared back. “He told me that when I was sulking about you and me in that park the day we were together.” He replied. “He was so positive that he loves Minhee, Babe. I am so certain.” He added.

Jaeun looked at Gongchan again. “I know. It’s obvious that he loves her. I can see it with my own eyes the way he looks at Minhee.” She started. “It was just too passionate.” She added.

L nodded as he interlaced his fingers with hers. “Like the way I look at you.” He spat out of no where.

Jaeun looked at him like he had said something inappropriate.

L blinked. “What? I look at you with my most passionate look, Kwon Jaeun.” He beamed, making Jaeun blush.

“Eyyyy! You’re blushing!” He teased earning a glare and a hit from his girl.

 

 

 

 

 

“Where’s Jaeun?” Minhee was trembling while asking Gongchan, who she didn’t expect seeing. Her heart is thudding really fast.

Jaeun texted her to meet her at the same table they are always sitting on during lunch. But it turns out that Jaeun had just set them up.

Minhee and Gongchan.

Talk.

Now.

That was what Jaeun was telling them.

That was what Jaeun is loudly wishing for them to do.

And that is what Gongchan and Minhee are about to do.

Gongchan looked at Minhee reluctantly. He had seen her this morning and he might say that she isn’t really looking any better day by day.

“She just left.” He replied.

Minhee nodded and turned to leave. She still doesn’t have the strength to talk it out with him right now. Still coward after Sunggyu talked to her about it. She thought it was easy that is why she nodded at Sunggyu but no. She is wrong.

This is the hardest part of all.

That part when she had to speak with Gongchan. That part when she would see him and there’s nothing she could feel but loneliness and longing.

“Wait.”

Minhee stopped on her spot as she saw Gongchan’s hand gripping on her arm.

Gongchan stood up and held Minhee’s shoulder making her face him.

Minhee blinked at the sudden action of Gongchan.

Because all of a sudden,

 

 

 

 

He is hugging her tight.

He is caressing her back, her hair and burying his face on the space between her neck and shoulder.

Minhee could feel wetness on the place where Gongchan’s face is.

He is crying.

He is really crying.

She could feel his tears pouring down her bare skin into her blouse.

She moved and held Gongchan’s face with both hands making him face her. Well, she is not surprise to see him bawling like that.

She is not.

“Gongchan, please.” She started as her thumbs flew to wipe the tears on Gongchan’s face. “Please don’t cry.” She almost choked on her own saliva.

She could feel a lump in now and not more than 2 minutes, she will begin to explode as well.

Gongchan held her hands. “I’m sorry, Minhee.” He said. His voice is still cracking. He is still crying. He is still crying. He is still crying. (AN: God why am I repeating my words.)

Minhee couldn’t help her tears, which are forming around her eyes just moments ago, from falling down, finally. “You don’t have to be.” She said, suppressing all the emotions she is feeling right now.

She wants to ask him why he is crying. Why he is clinging onto her now, looking deep into her eyes and telling her all the emotions he is hiding inside.

She wants to ask him why he is leaving.

She wants to ask him why he is leaving all of a sudden.

She wants to ask him about his feelings towards leaving them, her to be exact.

She wants to ask if he feels something for her as well.

She wants if he loves her – if he loves her to the point that it is hard for him to leave her right now.

She wants to know if what she is sensing is true.

She wants to know the truth.

She wants to know everything to make her heart at ease before he leaves her.

 

 

 

 

But all of that seems to be so impossible right now.

Minhee seemed to be frozen right now that she is looking at the man he loves, who is about to leave her few days from now, crying in front of her and asking for apology.

What to do now, Minhee?

“I’m sorry I’m leaving you.” Gongchan started, now his voice a bit more calm than a while ago. “Sorry for leaving you like this. Sorry for not even planning to confess before leaving,” He added as his voice starts to crack again.

Minhee stood in front of him, unmoved, frozen and dumbfounded. She definitely has no idea of what Gongchan is blabbering right now.

She just can’t absorb anything.

Gongchan began to cup her face and look straight into her eyes. “I am sorry that I have to leave you like this. I am sorry that I have to leave. But,” he paused to catch a breath. “Before I go I just want you to know that you are the most amazing girl I have ever known.” He said. “You are the only girl that I would want in my whole life.”

“You don’t know how you make me feel so jumpy everytime you are near. You just don’t know how much you make me so lonely when you walk away.”

“I love you, Minhee.” He confessed. “I love you and that’s never ever going to change.” He swore. “Even if I go abroad.” He added.

Minhee gaped at him. The man she loves.

The man she loves is confessing his love for her.

What could be sweeter than that?

What could be sweeter than that?

“Just wait for me until I come back okay? Just wait until my operation-, until I come back and see you again.” He said.

Minhee looked at him weirdly. She caught what he said. “What operation?” She asked.