Chapter 58

Akuma No Sekai 2

Ryosuke:

Since I knew I also lost my sister I didn't go outside anymore. I didn't eat for weeks and I'm surprised I was still alive. I also didn't see any demons anymore. I gave up my life as a hunter. I was still wondering why she’d left me. Was she that mad that she ran away? Did she know how I felt? I became a hunter for her, to protect her and then she ran away and I didn't have a reason to hunt anymore. I stood up from the bed. Mai used to sleep in this. I felt hungry but still didn't want to eat. Maybe it was better if I’d just die. Mai was probably dead too already. She did take Sayumi's knife, but she couldn't protect herself right? What if she fell asleep on the streets? And if a demon would pass by, she was just alone... I knew she was dead and that made me think I didn't want to live anymore either. I knew I couldn't stop the apocalypse, I was just alone anyway. I still stood still inside of the bedroom. I didn't know what I had to do. 'Maybe I should just kill myself.' I thought but I didn't. It was only a thought. If I died I didn't want to do it myself. Maybe I died of the hunger. I hoped I did. I walked out of the bedroom. It was dark in the caravan. All curtains were closed. I didn't open them in weeks. I thought I heard someone walking outside. Or more people... Or maybe demons. Though I wanted to die I still grabbed the iron stick, which was standing near the wall. I didn't touch it for weeks though. I lifted it and saw a shadow behind the curtains. I wondered how they find me. The demons. Someone grabbed the door and opened it. I lifted my stick more and someone stepped inside the caravan. I wanted to attack but then stopped. I shocked when I saw who it was. I stood still and dropped my stick. "M- Mai..." I stuttered. I felt tears coming up. Tears of happiness and rage. She ran towards me and hugged me. "Why...? How...?" I couldn't find the right words. "I thought you were dead..." I then told. "I'm sorry..." She said. "Why did you leave me...?" I wanted to sound mad but it sounded more like I was sad. Tears were rolling all over my cheeks. I noticed someone else was standing in the door opening and I suddenly grabbed my stick again. I didn't saw who it was yet and pushed Mai away. "Wait..." She said and then I saw her. I shocked and stood still again. Her beautiful hair lit up by the sun. She smiled happily. She was beautiful, like an angel. "H- How...?" I said again as she walked inside. She walked towards me and then hugged me. "You just should trust your little sister a little..." She whispered in my ear. I looked at Mai. She smiled. Sayumi let go of me and looked at me. "You look awful..." She said, smiling. "Did you eat...?” She just said, like they were only gone for a few hours. I was still speechless. Mai took the iron stick which was still in my hand. She wiped off the dust and looked around in the caravan. "Did you quit hunting...?" She asked. I didn't say anything as they both already knew the answer. "There’s dust on your weapon and the curtains are closed, did you even come outside?" Mai asked again. Still I didn't say a thing. "Why?" She asked. "Did you want to die or something? Did you even look for me?" She was coming with too much question and I saw she was having a hard time. "I did..." I just said. "But I couldn't find you, I didn't knew where you was... I still don't know where you've been..." I told. "I stopped looking for you and quited hunting... All I did was just stay inside... though, I wanted to die." They both shocked of the thing I said. I saw they did. I felt mad and sad at the same time. I thought they were dead... "Let's eat something." Mai said, smiling. "I'm hungry and I bet you're too... Did you eat anyway?" I didn't answer her. I just looked away. I was still a little mad. She just smiled and walked to a closet, looking for something to eat. "There's nothing..." She said. Of course there was nothing, like I wanted to go shopping when she was gone. "It's winter too, so there aren't apple's on the tree..." She said. "We should go get some food in the supermarket then." She smiled. I didn't understand why she acted like nothing happened, like we were all together these past years. How could she laugh? "Come..." Mai said and pulled me on my arm. I pulled it back. "I can't eat..." I told and she looked at me. They both did. "Do you think I can eat now, like nothing happened?!" They both shocked. I must've sounded really angry. "I can't pretend like nothing happened. You left me! You ran away in maybe the hardest period of my life..." They both looked at me when I said that. "What did you think back then?! That I would life happily further on my own?! That I will hunt on my own?! Like I could do that while I lost you...! After I also lost...-" I felt tears coming down my cheeks. "I couldn't lose you too, Mai... Why didn't you know..." I looked to the floor and let my tears drop. "I'm sorry..." She said and laid her hand on my shoulder. "...I'm sorry..." She said again and hugged me. "I- I did everything to protect you and you just left... I can't protect you when you're not around... When I don't know where you are... I promised myself to protect you no matter what." I cried. "I am old enough now... I can hunt..." She said quietly. "Don't blame her..." Sayumi suddenly said. "Without her I wasn't here right now..."