Chapter 44

Akuma No Sekai 2

Ryosuke:

"!" I yelled as I saw the empty box. "What the Hell is she thinking?!". I was mad and worried at the same time. I dropped the box and ran outside. "Mai!" I yelled. I hoped she would come from behind one of the trees, just as a joke, so that I can hold her in my arms again, but no matter how long I waited she didn't came back that day. I lost her. Maybe I went too far... Maybe I was too mad... Maybe she was mad at me... Why did she leave? I didn't know and I also didn't know if she came back again. I hoped she would. I wish I knew where she went, but I didn't know... I didn't know what was in her mind and why did she took the knife? Did she know all time where I hid the knife or did she just found it by accident? I thought I hit it on the perfect place... A place where she could never find it and so that we didn't have to think about what happened two years before anymore. I walked inside again and closed the door with a slap. I didn't know what I felt... Madness? Sadness maybe... I felt left behind... lonely... and worried... I felt everything. What if some demon goes after her and kills her? How do I know? 'Maybe she is already dead'. She had the knife but she didn't know how to use it. I sat down on the couch and waited for her to come back whole the day, but she didn't. I waited whole night, I didn't even sleep, but still she didn't come back. She left me. She was the only thing I had left and then, that day, she also left me... First Sayumi, then Mai. I wanted to cry, I wanted to scream but I couldn't do either. The only thing I did was sitting on the couch, waiting for her. Waiting and waiting. I saw it become dark and hours later it became already light again. She didn't came back that night. I wondered where she stayed. I wondered if she was still alive. I stood up and opened the door. I went outside. I was very cold. Colder than the day before. I stepped outside and felt something. I looked to the ground and saw the whole grass was gone... I looked up and saw the whole white cold grass field. It must've snowed that night, but I didn't know because my head was still with Mai. I took my stick from inside which was standing next to the door and walked further into the snow. There was pretty much snow. I wanted to look for Mai, to find her... And I want to know the truth, why did she run away? I looked around, to the woods... She didn't go that way... If she did I would’ve bumped into her, but I didn't... I didn't see her. Then there's only one way to go. I walked in the direction of the street. When I came at the street I had two directions to go... Which way did she go? I turned my head to left and then right. I knew left was a dead end, but also the supermarket and the town... She didn't go into the supermarket, right? Or did she? Because I didn't know I went to that direction and as expected there were many demons around the supermarket. No way had she gone this way. The rest of the day I spend outside to look for her. I went everywhere in the city but everywhere where I looked I couldn't find Mai. I looked whole day for her and didn't even think about demons... They spotted me and chased after me. It was very hard to fight them and I was very weak. Weaker than before... because of the snow and coldness. Maybe this was also a good training for me. Luckily I won the fight.

I went home again and hoped Mai was waiting for me on the couch. I opened the door but of course she wasn't there. I sat down on the couch and thought about her. I looked everywhere in Kyoto, just everywhere but no Mai... was she taken by the demons? Maybe she was dead already. Many questions came up in my mind. I couldn't find any clues to her. It looked like she wasn't in Kyoto anymore... Did she go out the city? But why? She grew up in Kyoto and even never went to another city. Maybe she thought it’s safer outside Kyoto, maybe that's why she ran away... But how could she know it's safer outside Kyoto? Maybe it's even more danger there. I wondered. The more I thought about her and everything what could have happened the sadder I became. I felt a tear falling down. "Mai, where are you?" I asked myself.